the hype of the Weaver family

Deededell

I see where the Weaver's family question to a fellow man of "Do you know Jesus?" has caused some hairs to stand up on some necks on this board. I find this somewhat interesting. Is it not amazing that the very mention of the name "Jesus" that people like me and the Weaver family, and a good majority of the Americans call out to is offensive. Immeadiatly it becomes a matter of, don't speak those words to me and violate my right to believe. However, those of us that are believers and want to live life according to what we believe must continually be subjected to the foul language, leud remarks, and hate of Christianity. All of that is suppose to come under the "Freedom of Speech".

So answer me this. If I have to be subjected and my children subjected to the world lifestyles that I have chosen to believe against; Why are my rights not violated? Far too long this has been a one sided debate. The fact is this. In the aspect of religion we as Americans are the most blessed country in the world. We have been given the right to worship and the right not to worship. It is that simple. So, its like this. If you don't talk about me not violating your rights, I won't discuss how often my rights are violated. Therefore, we will all learn to be tolerent of one another.

I personally do not see this as an issue of most people not having a belief. I do not get offended if someone ask me if I know Jesus. The line gets crossed when the answer is not the "correct" answer for the person asking me the question. I do have my beliefs, but they are my own personal beliefs. Whether you share the same ideas or not. There are personal boundries that we have a right to in this country. The freedom of speech works both ways. You do have the right to ask someone if they believe, what you do not have a right to is to continue that conversation to someone who does not wish to discuss their own personal values with a total stranger. When I moved to the South I was amazed about how different the culture is. I had never experienced being approached by people so wrapped up in their own beliefs they don't realize that they are violating others rights by harrassing or bullying them into listening. I think that people who have had to endure this type of violation to their personal rights are even more offended by the innocent people who use the "Do you know Jesus" as a friendly gesture.

"Have you found [insert here Jesus or God]?" Seemingly innocent words aren't they? If only things were simple. All too often these words precede an evangelical speech which includes alot of hellfire and damnation references or a bunch of lovey dovey nonsense. The reason these words raise the little hairs on the back of my neck? I am truely embarrassed for the person who speaks them because now they have lumped themselves in with the religious fanatics - in my mind. I am truely embarrassed for the person, because they think so little of me that they think they can change my religious beliefs. Finally, I am embarrassed for the person because they have just shown me that they were not brought up with any kind of manners. There are three subjects that you do not bring up: Religion, Politics and Sex. Religion is an extremely private matter. It has it's forumn where you can speak of it - Your Place of Worship! Live your beliefs, but please don't evangelize on National TV.

There are three subjects that you do not bring up: Religion, Politics and Sex.

Being raised in Chicago, we have three different subject taboos . . . Religion, Politics and Pizza!