'But Can They Sing?' ~ VH1

TV_Paige

47.gif

'But Can They Sing?'

They can act, model and even box, but can they sing? That's the question VH1 will ask and answer with the new series, "But Can They Sing?" Celebrities will show off their vocal skills in this six-week competition which will premiere Sunday, October 30 on VH1. The winner will receive a cash donation to his or her favorite charity.

Nine celebrities vie for the chance to prove to America whether they should stick to their day job or tough it out over six weeks to become a pop star. Actors Morgan Fairchild, Joe Pantaliano, Bai Ling, Antonio Sabato, Jr., Michael Copon, model Kim Alexis, Carmine Gotti, heavyweight champion Larry Holmes and Latin entertainer/journalist Myrka Dellanos have been chosen to compete against one another in this new original series.

Each week, these hopeful contestants will undergo grueling and intensive training with two prominent vocal coaches and one movement/dance instructor to prepare for their performance in front of a live studio audience at the end of the week. VH1 will then turn the decision over to America, who will have the chance to decide who stays and who goes home. Viewers will cast their votes online, by text messaging or by a toll-free number.

Host

photo_ahmet_zappa.jpg

Ahmet Zappa

Ahmet Emuukha Rodan Zappa is the son of experimental rocker Frank and brother of fellow show-biz sibs Moon Unit and Dweezil. He started his acting career at age 13 on TV's "Growing Pains." Three years later, he had a small role in the Christian Slater film, "Pump Up the Volume." In the '90s he worked with Dweezil on three albums, and in 2001 and 2002 he was the co-host of The TLC Network's "Robotica," commenting on the furious combat action of droids and 'bots. In 2004, Ahmet married actress Selma Blair.

47.gif

'But Can They Sing?'

Performers

gotti2.jpg

Carmine Gotti Agnello

Reality Show Star, "Growing Up Gotti"

Carmine Gotti Agnello's nickname is "Mr. Quiet but Cunning." He is the son of Victoria Gotti (the daughter of late mob boss John Gotti) and Carmine Agnello, a made member of the Gambino crime family who is currently doing time for arson and racketeering. His claim to fame: appearing with his mother and two younger brothers - John Gotti Jr. and Frank, collectively known as the 'Hotti Gottis' - on the reality show, "Growing Up Gotti."

kim_alexis5.jpg

Kim Alexis

Actress/Supermodel, "Holy Man"

Kim Alexis was discovered by the Elite Talent Agency at age 18. She moved to NYC and quickly earned "supermodel" status throughout the '80s, becoming the face of Revlon cosmetics and appearing on the cover of more than 500 magazines, with multiple appearances on Cosmopolitan, Mademoiselle, Glamour, and Vogue, and six turns in Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue. Kim has also done a bit of acting, most notably in the 1998 Eddie Murphy film, "Holy Man." She's married to former NHL star Ron Duguay.

copon2.jpg

Michael Copon

Actor, "One Tree Hill" and "Power Rangers: Time Force"

Michael Copon was was born in Chesapeake, Virginia. You first saw him as Lucas Kendall, the Blue Ranger on "Power Rangers: Time Force," the ninth version of the 'Power Rangers' series which aired in 2001. He joined the cast of the WB's "One Tree Hill" in its second season, playing Felix, who hooked up with Brooke played by Sophia Bush.

dellanos.jpg

Myrka Dellanos

Latin Entertainer/Journalist

For over a decade, Myrka Dellanos has been the No. 1 U.S. born, bilingual broadcast journalist in Spanish television. She was the host of Univision Network

Amen! In my opinion, the only reason to watch is Joey Pants! I adore that man! How he got talked into this group of F-Listers is beyond me. He must REALLY want to sing! I'm going to give it a try and see how it flies. Hopefully it won't break the sound barrier or bother small dogs within earshot.

• 4 weeks later...

But Can They Sing?

NO! They Can't!!!

If you really want to do something scary for Halloween, then watch a repeat of this horrible show! This was as bad as it sounds . . . EVERY pun intended. Ahmet Zappa has not improved his horrific hosting skills one iota since the last show he ruined. This is a non-stop snore fest unless watching Z-list celebrities ruin what little is left of their self respect or career excites you.

I think they went out of their way to find the few 'celebrities' who couldn't carry a tune if their career counted on it. If it does . . . time to call their agent and fire them! Who talked these vocally-challenged into this ?musical? train wreck? This wasn't even fun to watch in that 'disaster in the making' sort of way. It was just agonizing to get through the hour. I wouldn't even waste the amount of a toll-free call to vote!

But Can You Tell I Hated It?

YES! You Can!!!

:P I couldn't resist! :P

But Can You Tell I Hated It?

YES! You Can!!!

:P I couldn't resist! :P

OMG! I wish I had read your post before I spent 30 mins of my life watching this crap last night!!!

EVERYTHING you said in your post is so true, from the horrible, annoying host to the talentless (OMG! NOT ONE OF THEM CAN SING!!!) "celebrities" making asses of themselves for an extra 15 minutes on the air.

I guess they were going for laughs a la American Idol auditions, but it didn't work...It wasn't entertaining or funny at all! I couldn't even finish watching...Who's stupid idea was this? I'd fire the fool!

Channel surfing the other night and saw this show was starting... thought, it can't possibly be as bad as everyone says...

I made it through the intro... LOL

(I've learned my lesson. ;) )

I couldn't agree more. I didn't waste my time watching it again last night but I did catch who they sent home by channel surfing at the end of the show. This is a COMPLETE waste of air time. This actually could have been a worthwhile and entertaining series and VH1 just dropped the metronome (or should I say tuning fork) on this one!