Rachael Ray Cooks Up New Talk Show

TV_Paige

variety_logo100x24.jpg

Rachael Ray Cooks Up New Talk Show

by Addie Morfoot

rachaelRay.jpg

Rachael Ray

Food Network's Rachael Ray has something on the back burner but it's not a "30-Minute Meal." Ray has inked a deal with King World Prods., Harpo Prods. and Scripps Networks to host a one-hour, syndicated five-day-a-week talk show scheduled to premiere next fall.

A familiar face to TV viewers as host of the Scripps-owned Food Network's series, "30-Minute Meals," "$40 a Day," "Inside Dish" and "Tasty," Ray, like Dr. Phil before his series debut, has appeared on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" in the past, but her appearances will now become more frequent over the next year.

"When Oprah has someone on her show it says to the viewer, 'Trust me. I think this person is it,'" said Terry Wood, president, creative affairs and development for King World Prods. and Paramount Domestic Television. Wood spoke of Oprah's influence in launching other talk shows such as "Dr. Phil" and the new "Tyra Banks Show."

Wood added, "That builds the relationship (with the viewer) that you need for a successful five-day-a-week show." Unlike, Dr. Phil, who held a designated weekly guest spot on "Oprah," Ray's presence on the show will "depend on what the topic is and what 'The Oprah Show' is doing already," Wood said.

ray_pizza200x250.jpg

Rachael Ray

Proclaimed as the new Martha Stewart, Ray is a "very different personality," Wood said. "Some of their content is similar but their relationship with the audience is very different," Wood said. "Everything is not tied up in a nice, neat bow with Rachael. She understands that life has all of these messes and successes."

Although King World was in talks to do a project with former "Trading Spaces" host Paige Davis and Chicago interior designer, Nate Berkus, those plans have been put on the back burner. "We are still developing with Paige," Wood said. "I don't think one crosses out the other."

Ray's new series, to be based in New York City, will be produced by King World Prods. in association with Harpo Prods. and Scripps Networks and distributed by King World. Ray will continue to appear on the Food Network.

zap2it_50.jpg

Ray Throws Chef Hat Into Talk Show Ring

rachaelray_insidedish_240_002.jpg

Rachael Ray

LOS ANGELES, California -- In case more than 12 hours a week (counting reruns) on Food Network, 10 cookbooks and a soon-to-launch magazine aren't enough to feed your Rachael Ray fix, the pixieish and increasingly ubiquitous TV chef is making her way to broadcast television.

Ray, best known for her "30 Minute Meals" show on the Food Network, has signed to host a daytime talk show set to launch in national syndication in fall 2006. The for-now untitled show will be produced by Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Productions, syndicator King World and Food Network owner Scripps Networks.

"People know me for my love of food, but I have so much more I want to share," Ray says. "Our show's going to be all about taking a bigger bite out of life. I want people to see themselves in this show, because life is full of messes and successes, and getting there is half the fun." (And can't you just hear her punctuating little laugh at the end of that statement?)

PH2005081201330.jpg

Rachael Ray

Other than its endorsement of chewing on larger chunks of life, details of the show are scant for now. It will be shot in New York, allowing Ray to continue appearing on the Food Network. And it comes with a hearty endorsement from Oprah herself. "From the moment I had Rachael on my show earlier this year, I knew she had 'it,'" Winfrey says. "She has that connection with her audience that most people only achieve one-on-one."

Ray's current workload includes "30 Minute Meals," "Inside Dish" and "Tasty Travels" on Food Network. In addition, "$40 a Day" is still in regular rotation on the cable channel as well. An eleventh cookbook is due next month, as is her magazine, "Every Day with Rachael Ray."

When she was on Oprah, I could tell O really liked her.

I like Rachel even though some of her recipes look suspect.

On one had most people who have talk shows have flopped within the first season.

On the other hand, people who Oprah endorses end up being successful (with the exception of her friend Gayle's show)

• 11 months later...

not sure where this should go, but i'll try here for now.

did anyone see her new talk show yesterday?

i love her to death, but i'm still trying to figure out if i liked the talk show or not. she's a doll and i love her on the food network, but not so sure about talk show host! she's got an over the top personality, and yesterday she was WAAAAAAAAAAAY over the top! i'm confused about the structure of the show, and what its really about. i've checked out the website, and its not much help either. any thoughts?

Did Food TV cut her celebrity dish show? Or did they run out of celebrities that admit they eat? I like her, but only in small doses...maybe that's why 30 minute meals is such a hit. :P

The $40 a day show irks me because she doesn't tip very well.

I love Rachael Ray on the 30 min meals and the $40 day.....

But she is much too hyper for a talk show. It is quite exhausting to watch.

One wonders if she is like that all the time in real life.

I don't think I would watch it regularly as the substance of the show seems a little wishy washy.

I read a review and it wasn't very nice. I never watched the show. It's a long read and I dont have the cliff notes sorry...

"Rachael Ray Show" potentially annoying

By Ray Richmond

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Carefully tailored to service the soccer mom crowd racing between work and kids and shopping, "The Rachael Ray Show" is a syndicated daytime talk show-cum-pep rally targeting viewers who are double-parked.

It moves along in energetic rat-a-tat-tat style via a series of manic Rachael McNuggets that casts Oprah's very own handpicked youngster as a whirlwind of hyperkinetic charisma. Indeed, the opening hour depicts the former host of Food Network's wildly popular "30-Minute Meals" as a woman in need of Ritalin to slow it down, modulate her pitch and try a little less hard. Ray has an inherent likability and is certainly easy on the eyes, but she doesn't talk to us so much as screams and she might want to consider taking a more leisurely approach. As it is, it's all she can do to keep from using the adoring audience as her mosh pit.

Happy to be here after spending the past five years "talking to vegetables," Ray emerges to a cool, loftlike brick set (it spins!) and hip R&B theme music. She quickly (everything here is quick) pours herself a cup of completely unnecessary coffee that she sips while reminiscing at the set's kitchen table. Ray's occasionally squeaky voice is even more adorably anxious than usual, but the crowd clearly already views her as royalty on Day 1 -- screaming wildly with her every breathless piece of jabber. She packs a lot of show -- too much, actually -- into the kickoff that's punctuated by her cuddly asides designed to establish a connection with Jane America.

See Rachael skydive with a viewer determined to overcome her fear. See Rachael prepare a meal in just seven minutes. See Rachael talk live with a viewer over the Internet. Now see Rachael sharing the stage with first guest Diane Sawyer, who looks typically fabulous but appears somewhat flummoxed by the ball of exuberance bouncing around her. Sawyer also utters the phrase "slut shoes," which would seem to indicate that she, too, was trying too hard.

Interstitials leading in and out of the commercial breaks feature viewer questions and revelations such as the best way to toss a salad if you lack a salad spinner: Put it in the washing machine and hit "Spin." Seriously. And there's a sizable emphasis here on cooking (no surprise). For Ray's sake, the hope would be that the repasts are low caffeine. Queen Oprah herself is scheduled to arrive today to anoint her latest offspring with her presence and use that reflected glow to create another Nielsen monster a la Dr. Phil.

"The Rachael Ray Show" is clearly being positioned as the next generation of " Martha Stewart Living," the difference of course being the fresh scrubbed girl-next-door beauty of the thirtysomething host and the injection of high-intensity joie de vivre. It's likely that Ray will tone down the tempo to merely rapid as she settles into the big chair, though she probably will never have the effortless bearing that Ellen DeGeneres and Rosie O'Donnell brought to the stage. Breaking from the gate, she skirts the fine line between endearing and annoying and could tip either way.

Host: Rachael Ray

Executive producer: Janet Annino; Senior producer: Joseph Freed; Supervising producers: Shane Farley, Marilyn Zielinski; Coordinating producers: Sarah Goldsmith, Emily Rieger; Line producer: Jennifer Sochko; Producers: Steve Cunniff, Stephanie Gholam, Robin Hommel, Jennifer Givner-Stone, Andrew Goldman, Meredith Weintraub; Director: Dana Calderwood; Field producers: Ted Corriero, John Filimon, Aimee Kramer; Production designers: Joe Stewart, John Shaffner; Art director: David Blankenship; Editors: Mark Evans, Art Vizthum; Food stylists: Abigail Bodiker, Bianca Maria, Andrea Steinberg.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

HA! thanks jem...i'm agreeing 100% with that review. still not sure if i'm loving it or just trying to love it. yesterday's show was a bit more relaxed....she wasn't as loud or as "bouncy". she did enjoy cutting off oprah though, which i found somewhat funny. her segments are short, and don't seem to have too much of a flow to them. i was soooooooooooo jealous of the two chicks who received all the knives and the pots and pans she uses on 30MM! the new shoes from zappos would have been nice too.

all in all, a better show, but she does need to work on a few things still

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I was the only one that thought she was way too much for morning TV. I rather watch grumpy Regis.

She has a great personality...so great that it took me a while to notice that she cannot cook. She cooks like a 12 year old just playing in the kitchen....making stuff like Peanut Gouda Burgers, and Macaroni and Mayonnaise souffle.

Once the hype of her new show dies, it will be cancelled.