Commander In Chief

Guest ranster627

Guest ranster627

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Commander in Chief

Hey, I'm all about daring to imagine a world in which a woman can become president. But do we really want her to take the office as the result of an elaborately rhetorical double-dog dare? Come on, Donald Sutherland, surely you must have seen enough Looney Tunes in your day to know a little something about reverse psychology: Wabbit season! Duck season! Blam! And you're left with a face full of gunpowder, wearing your nose as a hat. And if you're not gonna follow the teachings of His Most Honorable Bugs Bunny, at least remember who you're dealing with

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Commander in Chief

You might think it's a little too soon for a hurricane aftermath episode, but apparently you'd be wrong. Mac and Templeton bury the hatchet for a full 30 seconds as they head to Florida on a post-natural-disaster moral-support and photo-op expedition. And since one environmental crisis is never enough, this one's compounded by the threat of a catastrophic oil spill off the Atlantic coast. Let the party politics begin! The formula's becoming crystal clear: Mac makes a presidential decision; Templeton sabotages her before a captive world audience; Mac comes out ahead in the end because, by golly, she's got principles. So, uh, when does Mark-Paul Gosselaar show up? I think I'm in desperate need of a Zack Attack.

As if she hasn't got enough worries, like ruling the free world and stuff, Mac's picture-perfect family life begins to crack a bit at the edges, too. It looks like First Hubby's gonna take the baseball commissioner gig he didn't so much as tell her about

Commander in Chief

Because apparently nothing ever goes smoothly for Mackenzie Allen, this week the ruler of the free world has to contend with a tell-all book filled to the brim with juicy, might-topple-the-Administration secrets. Uh-oh, kids, looks like we've got us a mole in the White House. (I guess it's hoping for too much to wish Tobias F

Commander in Chief

So long, Rod Lurie, hello, Steven Bochco. Ahh, can't you just smell the parallelism? A shake-up behind the scenes; everyone jockeying for position; the press not really sure what to make of it

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Will Ever Carradine Bed Chief's Hubby?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

C.J., you know we love ya, but there's a shiny new spin doctor in the White House, and she's being played by Ever Carradine on ABC's Commander in Chief (Tuesdays at 9 pm/ET, but preempted tonight). As Kelly Ludlow, she puts the best possible face on Mackenzie Allen's scrutinized presidency, all the while fielding furtive glances from the first son and lending her ear to the first gentleman. Carradine, whose previous long-term series gig was as the girl-toy of Sela Ward's ex-husband on Once and Again, chatted with TVGuide.com about life in TV's "other" West Wing.

TVGuide.com: I totally remember you as Once and Again's Tiffany. She was such a sad little

• 2 weeks later...

Commander in Chief

Naval-base closures! Mentally challenged women on death row! The triumphant return of Zack Morris! I'm already exhausted, and that's just the teaser. The Steven Bochco effect truly gets underway this week, as Mark-Paul Gosselaar joins the cast

Commander in Chief

Was it really just a couple of months ago that Mackenzie Allen was still a tentative vice president, thrust into the Oval Office by way of her own indignation at a barrage of insensitive comments from Kiefer's dad? I can't help but get a little nostalgic watching the pilot episode again

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENTNEWS

I-POTUS: ABC's Commander in Chief is the latest television series to make episodes available for day-after downloads via the iTunes Music Store, at a cost of $1.99 each

• 3 weeks later...

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE....DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Commander In Chief (ABC) Updated on January 6

> Airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m.

12/19 - Episode 1.10 - Sub Enchanted Evening [Airing January 10]: Dickie's relentless pursuit of information endears him to no one. When a submarine strikes a seamount just outside of North Korean water borders, Mac is forced to approach the Chinese for help. Templeton proposes a compromise. After the emergency forces Gardner to cancel a meeting, Dickie impulsively defends Jayne.

12/21 - Episode 1.11 - No Nukes Is Good Nukes [Airing January 17]: The North Koreans learn about the events from last episode and shoot down an American rescue plane. The Chinese back out despite Templeton's best efforts. Both Koreas and Japan prepare for possible war. A tense Horace and Rebecca watch news developments in class on television. Rod and Mac disagree on policy publicly for the first time. Dickie and Kelly flirt.

01/06 - Episode 1.12 - Wind Beneath My Wings: Mac visits California. Templeton sizes up Rod. After the motorcades leave, a man denied financial aid for his ailing wife after complicated circumstances parks himself under Air Force One with a vehicle full of jet fuel and contacts the media. Mac refuses to negotiate and chastises him. Dickie's past meets Kelly. At the White House, the children and their friends bond - only to have the Gettysburg Address go missing.

Commander's Chief of Staff Takes Charge

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060110insider2.jpg

Harry J. Lennix, Commander in Chief

As Jim Gardner on ABC's Commander in Chief (Tuesdays at 9 pm/ET), Harry J. Lennix plays a White House chief of staff caught in the middle as he protects the legacy of President Mackenzie Allen's (Geena Davis) late predecessor

Commander in Chief

Maybe I'm just getting antsy for the big fat two-night, four-hour premiere of 24 next week, but every last bit of presidential drama's got me thinking of CTU

Commander in Chief

Well, well, well, Geena Davis, it's quite a week you're having. Winning the Golden Globe for best actress in a drama, almost single-handedly saving a submarine full of American sailors from certain death, bringing the world back from the brink of nuclear war with Korea... you must think you're pretty hot stuff, huh? To quote the first daughter, "Don't let it go to your head." I must confess, though, that after two nights of watching 24's insufferable President Logan in action, I appreciate the level head Saint Mac brings to any international crisis. She gets to clench her teeth and utter pithy directives like, "The men in that sub have 27 hours of air left. We're not gonna let them die." Meanwhile, President Logan's about three petulant outbursts from getting his very own episode of My Super Sweet 16: "I don't care what it takes. Fix it!" And now that my brain's started comparing fictitious prime-time presidents, I'm envisioning a Venn diagram in my head that'll help us suss out a proper compare-and-contrast visual aide for Mac, Logan and, heck, let's throw Bartlett in there, too. Ahem. Don't you people recognize a cry for help when you see it? I just used the phrase "Venn diagram" in a sentence. Please recommend a good mental-health-care provider.

Elsewhere, I'd be a lot less disdainful of this Dickie-Ally McPress Secretary flirtation they're setting up (bad kiss! bad kiss!) if we hadn't just seen him buying a drink for Natasha Henstridge last week. Dude, is there a blonde within a 10-mile radius you haven't hit on? What would Kelly Kapowski say?

Commander in Chief

Apparently there's only room for one grown-up on this show, and she just so happens to be the president. The first teens put a fresh spin on the time-honored our-parents-are-out-of-town-so-let's-have-a-party rite of passage, with some fairly sanitized underage drinking and a little Oval Office heavy petting. (It's seen worse, right?) Naturally, little sis Amy exacts her revenge for not being invited to the big-kid shindig by hiding the Gettysburg Address. And here I figured Nicolas Cage had commandeered it to make use of that handy-dandy treasure map addendum on the back. Meanwhile, on the opposite coast, our favorite media analyst wunderkind joins the not-so-mile-high club on a grounded Air Force One for cryin' out loud (We get it, all right? Dickie loves the ladies!), and even Old Man Templeton literally gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Chocolate-chip macadamia nut, I'm guessing? So who does that leave to be the responsible one when the going gets tough and a disgruntled Desert Storm vet threatens to blow up the president's plane? The one and only Saint Mac, of course. A little terse speechifying later and whammo, we've got a terrorist in custody, no sniper fire required. See? There's nothing she can't do. I can't wait for the Winter Olympics tie-in, when as a matter of national pride and/or security, Mac's got to step in for an injured Sasha Cohen, land a perfect triple salchow and bring home the gold. U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.! Don't tell me you don't feel the magic, too.

SPOILER ALERT...HIGHLIGHT TO SEE...DO NOT QUOTE

Courtesy of: SPOILERFIX

Airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m.

01/16 - Episode 1.13 - Tricky Dicks [Airing February 14]: Jayne and Templeton patch things up and concentrate on gaining future electoral votes. Kelly is now master of the lectern. A 22-year-old spikes Rod's drink and claims he groped her. Mac, Rod, Gardner and Dickie unite to prove his innocence. A Senator strikes a deal with Rod to remove opposition to Mac's bill, but changes his mind when Rod brings him before Mac and proposes the agreement.

01/25 - Episode 1.14 - Little Shop Of Horace: Mac struggles to stop rape camps in Samad. A visiting Cuban athlete is injured. Cuba refuses to allow her needed operation in the US, and coerces her father into cooperating with them. Gardner and Mac offer to help the entire family defect, despite Templeton nearly ruining their efforts with publicity. An official takes racist potshots at Gardner. Another tears Mac down to build himself up.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

COMMANDER IMPEACHED?: Think a Golden Globe will win you some respect? Think again. Commander in Chief, its statuette still giving off that new-trophy scent, is being bumped from ABC's lineup as of March 7 to make room for back-to-back episodes of the new half-hour comedy Sons & Daughters, starring Fred Gross. I'm sorry

Commander in Chief Is No Lame Duck

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060131insider1.jpg

Geena Davis, Commander in Chief

The big news last October: ABC pulled a shocking switcheroo, replacing Rod Lurie with Steven Bochco as show runner for Commander in Chief (Tuesdays at 9 pm/ET), which had debuted to impressive approval ratings, aka Nielsens. The big news today: ABC has announced that Chief will temporarily step down on March 7 to make room for the new comedy Sons & Daughters. Can the acclaimed Geena Davis-as-president drama survive another hiatus and retain the popular vote?

Bochco, for one, believes that "hiatus" need not be a four-letter word, given the right circumstances. But first, a bit of background on Chief's change in "administrations" and an update on where the show stands today.

When Lurie repeatedly almost missed deadlines for turning around the show's first episodes, Bochco, with his years of experience overseeing such shows as NYPD Blue, was brought in to fast-track the production process. Although the veteran producer hesitates to detail the changes he made in the actual on-screen product

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

'Commander In Chief' Deposed Until April

Friday, February 10, 2006 02:30 PM PT

geenadavis_commanderinchief_240.jpg

ABC has invoked the TV-scheduling version of the 25th Amendment on its freshman series "Commander In Chief," benching it until mid-April.

The network had already announced that the show, which stars Golden Globe winner Geena Davis as the first female president, would take a six-week break starting March 7 to make room for the comedy "Sons & Daughters." Now ABC has pulled it for the rest of February as well. It will return April 18 to finish out the season.

"We believe in 'Commander In Chief' and want to do what we think is best for its long-term prospects," says Jeff Bader, head of scheduling for ABC. "With this new schedule, the show will return with a healthy run of seven straight episodes in the spring."

For the remainder of February, repeats of "According to Jim" and "George Lopez" will fill the 9 p.m. hour.

After starting the season strong -- it averaged better than 15 million viewers through its first eight weeks on the air -- the show has cooled considerably. The three episodes that aired in January drew an average of 10.85 million viewers, thanks in large part to tougher competition from FOX's massive hit "American Idol."

The "Commander In Chief" audience also skews older than most of ABC's popular shows. While the series still ranks among the top 25 in total viewers, it's only 41st among the adults 18-49 demographic that's so important to advertisers.

The show has also undergone a behind-the-scenes regime change, with Steven Bochco ("NYPD Blue") taking over as showrunner from creator Rod Lurie, partly to ensure the production would run on a tighter schedule.

Bochco and Co. will have plenty of time to craft the remaining episodes of the season -- by the time "Commander In Chief" returns, it will have been nearly three months since its last original episode.

• 1 month later...

THE WATCHER

'Chief' commanding very little respect from ABC

Chicago Tribune

By Maureen Ryan

New episodes of "Commander in Chief," the troubled ABC drama starring Genna Davis, finally return April 18. The show also has a new head writer, its third in less than a year (Steven Bochco, who was brought onboard last fall, is out). It's bizarre that the network that made such monster hits out of "Grey's Anatomy," "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" has so badly bungled its handling of this drama, which started out with terrific ratings but now may be headed for cancellation. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

ABC Impeaches 'Commander In Chief'

Show pulled for remainder of sweeps; no airdate for remaining episodes

May 2 2006

21713403.jpg

Geena Davis on 'Commander in Chief'

LOS ANGELES -- The Allen administration, which started off with such promise, is coming to a rather ignominious end.

ABC has yanked its freshman drama "Commander In Chief" from the schedule for the rest of May sweeps after the show performed poorly in its new, and exceedingly difficult, Thursday time period. Newsmagazine "Primetime" will take its place at 10 p.m. ET Thursdays for the remaining three weeks of the season.

The pulling of "Commander In Chief" probably spells doom for the show's chances of renewal and puts a cap on a remarkable slide that sent it from sparkly new hit to probable lame duck in eight months. The series began life as the most-watched new show of the fall, and star Geena Davis won a Golden Globe in January for her portrayal of Mackenzie Allen, the first female president. Behind-the-scenes upheaval and a steep ratings decline, however, conspired to bring the show down.

The backstage changes came first, with ABC and Touchstone (both of which are owned by Disney) relieving creator Rod Lurie of his showrunner duties a few weeks into the season after production had fallen behind schedule. Steven Bochco ("NYPD Blue") took over the show, bringing in a number of new writers and adding "Blue" alum Mark-Paul Gosselaar to the cast.

Through November, though, the show was still averaging a robust 15.2 million viewers per week, the best of any new series to that point.

"Commander" was off the air until Jan. 10, and on its return its ratings took a hit thanks largely to the return of "American Idol" on FOX. Three episodes in January averaged about 10.8 million viewers, which isn't all that bad, but the younger viewers that advertisers love were dropping away as well.

Another long hiatus followed, during which Bochco also gave up day-to-day running of the show (though he remains an executive producer) to work on an ABC pilot. Dee Johnson, who had been with the show from the start, became the showrunner.

ABC then moved the show from its Tuesday home to 10 p.m. Thursdays, where it would have to face CBS' powerful "Without a Trace" and NBC's still-solid "ER." Ratings have been meager since the switch -- the three episodes that have aired on Thursday have averaged only about 7.5 million viewers, less than half what the show was doing in the fall.

The network says the final three episodes of the season will likely air during the summer, but no dates have been set.