Vonzell Solomon

salter-path

VONZELL SOLOMON - (20) From Ft. Meyers, FL (Auditioned in Orlando) - Vonzell was born in Baxley, GA, and moved to Fort Myers, FL, when she was a few months old. She went to Cypress Lake Center for the Arts high school and has recorded a CD. Vonzell has one sister and two brothers. Her dad is a martial arts instructor and Vonzell is a black belt in sembact martial arts (a combination of karate, jujitsu and tae kwon do). .

blvonzellsolomon4wr.th.jpg

Wow. I'm the first to post here.

I was not a Vonzell fan, whatsoever.

But, she really pulled off Best of My Love tonight! I don't think she has to worry about being going anywhere tomorrow night.

Now Scott and Mikalah I expect to see squirming. Now there's a shocker.

:wink:

Guest conniejoe
Vonzell is just one of the performers I don't really have a strong feeling for one way or the other. Her performances are not great but they're not terrible. She's just middle-of-the-road and kind of nondescript.

Once again, feeling somewhat impressed with Vonzell's performance of last night. (Movie music theme). She showed maturity and was right on key and sang with elegance and class. She's becoming a threat to Carrie in my book. This is not good. :shock:

Guest XandraSkye

I'm totally a Vonzell fan. I definitely don't think she's any Carrie but I won't be surprised if she lasts longer than Nadia. I really liked her last three performances. She's been one of my favs.

YOU GO GIRL!

Guest conniejoe

Vonzell can be outstanding. Her Whitney performance last week was amazing. But she's not consistent. And she tends to worry too much on where the camera is. When she can't find the red light, she momentaraily loses her fire.

She's definitely a middle tier contestant, but not a finalist candidate.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe we're back to the idea of someone singing a Striesand song -- I've heard very few who can sing anything Streisand -- or Whitney. I thought her choice of song was where her major weakness lay last night.

Guest conniejoe
I thought Vonzell succeeded w/ her Whitney performance last week, but fell flat this week when she took on Streisand.

Guest Anonymous

Funny Girl is an old favourite of mine and seeing Barbara sing the song People in that movie -- Vonzell made a bad choice last night. It showed tonight. I hope she'll choose something more HER style next week.

She definitely did better with Whitney -- but I still found myself comparing her performance to Whitneys.  I'd suggest she choose someone less unique.

:shock: when i first read this I thought you said she did better than Whitney!!

I was gonna be like OH NO YOU DI'INT!!

Guest Anonymous

LOL nopers -- In my books the two best female mainstream vocalists are Streisand -- still the queen -- and Whitney. No way Vonzell can match either one of them.

Vonzell can be outstanding. Her Whitney performance last week was amazing. But she's not consistent. And she tends to worry too much on where the camera is. When she can't find the red light, she momentaraily loses her fire.

She's definitely a middle tier contestant, but not a finalist candidate.

Hmmm. Good eye, ConnieJoe. That's the something I couldn't put my finger on regarding Vonzell. That says a lot about her character, too, in my opinion. Looks like Constaposer isn't the only poser. Could it be? :roll:

Guest conniejoe

Yep-er-doodle, Tabs. Watch her next week...especially when the camera on her stage right pops on. You'll see her eyes wander wildly 'til she finds the camera, then she'll smile and point to the "on" camera. In the meantime, she looses her steam and forgets what she's doing. It's a laugh-riot!

No doubt, the girl can sing great! But she gets distracted by the camera's too easily.

I was getting impressed with her as of late. She's getting too close to Carrie's toes, for my taste. I know Carrie's like a statue up there, but I have faith that she'll break out of it. Back to V -

She wasn't my favorite in the beginning. I couldn't see the appeal. But she has stepped it up, matured in her song selection and stage presence. Her voice got stronger. But CJ hit it, she does seem to "get lost" at times, as though she's looking for something and I think CJ summed it well with the 'finding the camera' synopsis. I may be wrong *surprise!!* but I suspect we'll see Vonzell in the Top 4. She may be in the bottom 3 a lot, but will pull through consistently. There will always be one more who got lower votes. Maybe like Diana DeGarmo. Fortunately, I think she's better than Diana. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been impressed with Vonzell lately... but I agree with Simon too... it was pitchy at the beginning but, she picked it back up at the chorus. I also agree that she connects with the audience... she just seems to love what she's doing... and that's appealing to me.

But, alas... I think you're right suds... she'll be in bottom three this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Idol Finalist Solomon Used to Deliver Mail

By Lisa Orkin Emmanuel

capt.nyet16705092051.american_idol_solom

When Vonzell Solomon sings, people cry. "When my oldest brother was leaving to go to college in Tennessee she sang at his going away party," says Solomon's brother, Gabriel. "She sang him a song and had everybody at the party about to cry."

And Nancy Graham, Solomon's former principal, said when she sang at an awards ceremony, most of the people in the auditorium were in tears.

Before making it to the finals of "American Idol," Solomon worked as a letter carrier in Fort Myers, Fla., where she lived with her parents, Larry and Alice Goethie. She took a leave of absence from the post office to appear on the show.

When Solomon turned 21 in March, she told her parents she wanted to change her stage name from their nickname for her, Baby V, to the more sophisticated Lady V, which other American Idol contestants began calling her. "Her mama had a fit," said Carol Sears, who heads the Baby V Fan Club.

Solomon's mother wanted to keep the old name because so many songs have the word "Baby" in them. So Solomon stuck with her family's endearment for their youngest child. "There are very close ties in the family," Sears said. "She is dedicated to her daddy."

Solomon's father, a martial arts instructor, pushed her to pursue singing at the age of 10. In school, Solomon excelled in sports and karate, earning a black belt. She also loves to shop and often goes over her weekly clothing allowance given to her by the show's executives. "She's not the type of person up in the clubs," Gabriel said. "Her friends will come over and shop. They shop a lot."

Sears said friends from the post office make up the core of Solomon's fan base. Every Tuesday, about 100 people gather in a banquet room Hurricane Harry's restaurant in Fort Myers. They watch the show, cheer and then furiously dial in votes on their cell phones.

On Wednesdays, they go to Florida Gulf Coast University's 4,500-seat arena, where they watch the results on a movie screen.

Locals also congregate in other bars around town on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to cheer for her. This week, Sears has also planned a phone bank at a car dealership where people can go to call and vote on land telephone lines.

Sears also sells T-shirts at these gatherings to raise money so that at least two family members can visit Solomon each week in California.

Nancy Koerner, a window clerk at the post office, said Solomon is just a nice girl. "She always did a good job. She was one of the first ones to get there to make sure mail would get there," Koerner said. "People say no way, she can't be that nice, but she is real down-to-earth."

Solomon graduated with honors, but did not go to college. "I was surprised. I know she's a real practical, pragmatic kid. Knowing Vonzell, she had a plan," Graham said.

In April 2004 Solomon released her first CD, "My Struggle."

"She wrote every song on there ... My father pushed that," Gabriel said.

While working at the post office, Solomon also had singing gigs in varied places from Naples and Miami to Georgia. She also tried out once before for "Idol," but was rejected. "She was planning on going to college, but she was doing her singing thing. She was so booked up, she didn't have time for school," Gabriel said.

It seems she was far too busy for a boyfriend, with whom she parted ways before joining the show.

Will she go from prom queen to idol? "She is just one of these all-American kids," said Shelly Thimlar, assistant principal at Solomon's high school. "She would certainly personify the 'American Idol' dream."

Living Room

Living Room

Please enter your display name