Maggie

my point is that she's venting. shes under a tremendous amount of stress in the house, especially now, and i think she's venting. i believe she's probably said those things ABOUT patients but i dont believe she's said them TO them. and im not discounting the possibility that what she said wasnt true to start with. i didnt hear her make the comments but just like april sometimes things are altered a little in the retelling especially when its put on message boards by someone who didnt like her to start with. and before y'all jump down my throat it happens all the time. as far as her getting fired over something she said? i seriously doubt it. reprimanded maybe. told to be more careful about what she says probably. but fired? i doubt it. sorry to rain on your parade.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If any hospital is aware of how she speaks on live feeds, there may be a good chance they might fire her - or no one may hire her.

Hospitals are very strict on their confidentiality/privacy rules because they have paid out big bucks in law suits.

Remember, she's venting to the public, she is not in her car with a coworker on their way home from a bad day of work.

my point is that she's venting. shes under a tremendous amount of stress in the house, especially now, and i think she's venting. i believe she's probably said those things ABOUT patients but i dont believe she's said them TO them. and im not discounting the possibility that what she said wasnt true to start with.  i didnt hear her make the comments but just like april sometimes things are altered a little in the retelling especially when its put on message boards by someone who didnt like her to start with. and before y'all jump down my throat it happens all the time.  as far as her getting fired over something she said? i seriously doubt it. reprimanded maybe. told to be more careful about what she says probably. but fired? i doubt it. sorry to rain on your parade.

I for one would love to hear what exactly was said and the context. I think most would be surprised.

If any hospital is aware of how she speaks on live feeds, there may be a good chance they might fire her - or no one may hire her.

Hospitals are very strict on their confidentiality/privacy rules because they have paid out big bucks in law suits.

Remember, she's venting to the public, she is not in her car with a coworker on their way home from a bad day of work.

She hasn't given any names, so how is she breaking a privacy/confidentiality rule? So if a nurse is making the same comments to a co-worker, that's okay but because Maggie said it in public that's worse?

Guest somepeople

Do you guys really not get it...

She said it TO a PAITENT..No one loves you thats why your here. I have a family to go home to...you have nothing...Something like that.

I won't speak for other posters, but my sister is a nurse and has made some of the same comments Maggie has. Doesn't mean she's a bad nurse or hates her job or mistreats her patients. It means she's human and needs to vent. We put doctors and nurses up on a pedastal like they are saints and they are human just like the rest of us.

does your sister say these comments to her patients? if so, then maybe your sister should rethink her career.

maggie stated that she says these things TO her patients. she was not venting to the other houseguest... she was bragging about mistreating patients.

and its one thing to vent after a hard long day at work.. but to vent to all of the world on tv when you havent even been to work... well, thats not venting, thats just stupid.

This is my take on why there are some really bad nurses that are allowed to keep their jobs... There is a severe shortage of nurses in this country... A bad nurse is better than no nurse at all... That's the mindset of admins... A nurse with a bad bedside manner is still going to give the care a patient needs... Lets talk for a minute about frustration... Try working in the OR when a long operation is in process and you don't even have time to go to the bathroom cause there aren't enough nurses to take over... Yes pysch patients will make you frustrated more than others, but none of it is their fault... Does the fact that their brains are telling them to do crazy things make it ok to treat them with less professionalism than any other patient? An LPN/LVN is no less a nurse than an RN... There are wonderful LPN/LVN and there are horrible RN's... Education doesn't make one better than the other in the treatment of their patient's... When a pysch patient is acting out it can make you want to scream at them, with that I agree, but that doesn't make it right for you to do so... Mental illness is no different than cancer... Both are illnesses that weren't brought on by the patient themselves... Would it be ok for any nurse to say to a cancer patient because you have cancer your family doesn't want you around any more? NO it wouldn't and if that had been the case with what Maggie was saying I am sure that everyone here would be up in arms about it... But because she said it about mentally ill patients (which is an illness most of the general public doesn't understand) people are more willing to dismiss it... To me it's all in all disgraceful...

among other things if maggie is a poor representation of her profession what does that say about howie? his being a sexist pig isnt a poor reflection on weather men? or rather would-be weather men. or how about his comments about the reason he even wants that job is so that he can be evasive and say theres a 50 percent chance it might rain today and if it does hes a hero and if it doesnt he wasnt wrong? do you honestly think he plans to go on television as a weather man and talk about it being sunny in florida today so there will be lots of boobies on the beach? lol or that Janelle is a poor representation of waitresses everywhere because she bragged about being mean to a homeless man?

Do you guys really not get it...

She said it TO a PAITENT..No one loves you thats why your here. I have a family to go home to...you have nothing...Something like that.

I didn't hear the comment or the context of the conversation it came up in. The very fact that you said "something like that" lends credence to the theory that maybe this comment wasn't so bad and was blown out of proportion by people who don't like Maggie anyway. That being said, so what if she said it to a patient? Have you never snapped at a co-worker or a customer in your job? Have you never done anything unprofessional in a time of stress? If you say no, then I have to wonder if you're being honest.

does your sister say these comments to her patients? if so, then maybe your sister should rethink her career.

maggie stated that she says these things TO her patients. she was not venting to the other houseguest... she was bragging about mistreating patients.

and its one thing to vent after a hard long day at work.. but to vent to all of the world on tv when you havent even been to work... well, thats not venting, thats just stupid.

Have you never snapped at a co-worker or a customer in your job? Have you never done anything unprofessional in a time of stress? If you say no, then I have to wonder if you're being honest. If you say yes, maybe you should rethink your career.

I didn't hear the comment or the context of the conversation it came up in. The very fact that you said "something like that" lends credence to the theory that maybe this comment wasn't so bad and was blown out of proportion by people who don't like Maggie anyway. That being said, so what if she said it to a patient? Have you never snapped at a co-worker or a customer in your job? Have you never done anything unprofessional in a time of stress? If you say no, then I have to wonder if you're being honest.

whoa this board has changed again

back on topic..I Can certainly understand blowing the things MAggie says out of proportion. I remember someone posted Calling her a Racist because she called "the don" (mike) from last season "the guido"

I was watching at the time and the ways he said it was not racist at all.

Have you never snapped at a co-worker or a customer in your job? Have you never done anything unprofessional in a time of stress? If you say no, then I have to wonder if you're being honest. If you say yes, maybe you should rethink your career.

umm.. yes, i have snapped at a co-worker.. but NO i have NEVER snapped at a customer. i have never said mean things to a customer. i never belittled a customer.

and that is my point. maggie has.

and plus... given the occupation she is in, there is no room for that. i didnt sign up to take care of sick people, she did.

Guest Pea_Soup
No poster on this thread has a clue whether Maggie is a good nurse or not. I'm guessing that since she's employed she must do her job. If she was truly as nasty as you all would like to make her out to be she would have been fired by now.

Nurses are in high demand in the USA and have been for many years, although it's reached a more crisis situation in the last few. Unless a health care worker does something that violates patient confidentiality, or an obvious violation of any other hospital regulations, I think it would be difficult to terminate that employee. Maggie may be the type of person who can show one face to her employer and another to the patients she knows cannot retaliate. I am only speculating as to possibilities here. But it is possible for her to be a less than stellar nurse without being fired for it, given the need for nurses.

I've read the same comments, that you are referring to, at different web sites. There is definitely a problem with her saying something like this to a patient. Even if you allow the possibility of her being pushed to her limit, that does not, in the least, excuse saying something of that nature to a patient. Any nurse I have ever encountered has gotten into the profession for their desire to help those in need. Given the attitude Maggie has apparently exhibited towards this profession, it makes me wonder why she chose it. Granted, she may just be blowing off some steam about it in the house, but what is disturbing is the fact that what she's saying isn't in the privacy of her own home, but in a setting where thousands are witnessing it.

Working in health care is different. I am not a nurse, but I do work in health care and I've let fly with my frustrations, but never in front of a patient. I also work with registered nurses who show the utmost of professionalism. There are patients who try their patience. I have seen the frustration they go through and I have also seen that they never exhibit it in front of those in their care. Yes, they snap, because I've been snapped at, but at the same time, they are professional enough to never do it to or in front of their patients.

umm.. yes, i have snapped at a co-worker.. but NO i have NEVER snapped at a customer. i have never said mean things to a customer. i never belittled a customer.

and that is my point. maggie has.

and plus... given the occupation she is in, there is no room for that. i didnt sign up to take care of sick people, she did.

do you know the circumstances in which she said it?

:lol: Did you really think about that before you posted it? If so, do you have mental issues or IQ issues?

You think it's fine if a nurse, under stress, tells a mentally ill patient they have no one who cares for them?

Owning a business, if I found out an employee was rude to a customer, that employee would be in the unemployment line immediately. Also, I've been going to phys. therapy 3 x a week all summer. Two employees there were FIRED this past week for being rude to patients.

If I were Maggie's supervisor, she'd be history.

You did imply that Maggie is less educated than yourself and therefore less important with your comment about her actions speaking to educational level and you blatantly downgraded CNA's by stating " is she <span style='color:red'>just an aide </span>who sees herself as some sort of nurse".

Incidentally, it's TRULY not truely, that is a very poorly constructed run on sentence that starts your paragraph and it should read AN embarrassment not a embarrassment. Perhaps you need more education? English 101 maybe?

Incidentally, your paragraph should read:

Incidentally, it's TRULY, not truely. That is a very poorly constructed run-on sentence that starts your paragraph, and it should read "an embarrassment", not "a embarrassment."

Punctuation is taught in English 101 as well.

I don't point out others spelling/grammar mistakes, as I make my own quite often, but I couldn't resist in this case. Pretty petty, huh??? :P

Guest Go Jannie
:angry:

As a Nurse Practitioner who started my nursing career as an LPN, I find it totally offensive and unprofessional that you would imply that LPN's are somehow inferior to RN's. You speak to Maggie's unprofessionalism and callousness, however in your next breath you denegrate those you deem to be a of lesser stature than yourself. I treat all my coworkers, be they LPN, RN, CNA, transportation aides or housekeepers, with the same respect I show PA's, NP's and MD's. We are all part of the team that contributes to the positive outcomes our patients have. And no one's part is any more imporatant than anyone else's. We all have a purpose to serve and a common goal : Providing the best possible care to our patients and achieving the maximum positive outcomes. It is a team approach and we all work together and respect one another.

As far as Maggie's comments regarding her duties at work, I can honestly say that I've yet to meet a nurse who has not at one point or another grumbled about having to wipe a butt, clean up a bloody mess, answer a call light that has gone off too many times for seemingly unimportant reasons, or some other task that is just a part of the job, but has for one reason or another is an annoyance at that time. For myself, it's respiratory secretions. I do it because it's part of my job, but truth be told mucous spilling from a clogged trach makes me gag. Does that make me a bad NP? Or mean that I care less about my patients than someone who is not bothered by thick green copiuous sputum? No it doesn't. it means that I am human and just like everyone else there are parts of my job that I do not enjoy.

You should be embarrassed and chagrined at your ridiculous display of snobbery regarding the various levels of nursing care and the titles people hold. And if you tell me that you've never complained about something you had to do as part of your patient care responsibilities than your a liar as well as a snob. I feel sorry for your coworkers and wonder if they realize how little esteem you hold them in.

JZ

Cardiac Nurse Practitioner, MSN, RN and once a "lowly" LPN

St Peter's Hospital, Albany, NY

Voted A TOP 10 Cardiac Hospital 6 yrs in a row and a Top 100 Overall Hospital Nationally 7 years in a row

It doesn't really matter what she is or what she does. she has been as cold as ice in this house from day 1. I didnt hear those comments she made but I have heard others and I does not surprise me one bit. when we watch all of the freindship on live feeds and you see them live on tv I cant believe the personality change. It is like they are phyco themselves. you didn't see Janelle,Rachel,Howie James or Sara do that . this is what is getting everybody started. not that she is a nurse or her educational back ground. that just makes people more discusted. don't take it personaly. you haven't made your self look like the idiot she has. I'm sure you have done a lot of good in this world. just think of it this way " how can the majority of the viewing population feel that she is so rotten if she realy wasn't" I would bet $1000. she will not come out of there and say she manipulated this game to work in her favor. she is going to act like she didnt think she was doing anything wrong. she has already said she will not watch the tapes. she doesn't want to face the fact she is just horrible. it is going to make me sick if she wins that money

:lol: Did you really think about that before you posted it? If so, do you have mental issues or IQ issues?

You think it's fine if a nurse, under stress, tells a mentally ill patient they have no one who cares for them?

Owning a business, if I found out an employee was rude to a customer, that employee would be in the unemployment line immediately. Also, I've been going to phys. therapy 3 x a week all summer. Two employees there were FIRED this past week for being rude to patients.

If I were Maggie's supervisor, she'd be history.

I think that people under stress do things that may be inappropriate at times in their position. Nursing is a high stress position and I know how hard it is on my sister, so I'll cut Maggie some slack. As for your personal attack about my IQ and my mental capacity, I'm fine in both regards. Sad really that you felt the need to stoop to a personal attack on another poster. <_<

For those that have been wondering what was said here ya go...

Maggie was talking to Eric and April about Mike and the way he was acting when he was making all the strange sounds and she said

"When I have a patient that comes in the ER acting like him I just tell them I'm not the one handcuffed to the bed, and I will go home to my family that loves me and wants me there, but you will spend tonight and many more on a ward because your family doesn't want you around right now... How awesome would it be if we could do that here"

Again what's the difference between her saying that to a mentally ill patient and a patient that has cancer? Would it be ok if she said to a cancer patient that their family doesn't want to deal with their illness so they are going to have to spend weeks in the hospital?

Guest DenimPerzina
For those that have been wondering what was said here ya go...

Maggie was talking to Eric and April about Mike and the way he was acting when he was making all the strange sounds and she said

"When I have a patient that comes in the ER acting like him I just tell them I'm not the one handcuffed to the bed, and I will go home to my family that loves me and wants me there, but you will spend tonight and many more on a ward because your family doesn't want you around right now... How awesome would it be if we could do that here"

Again what's the difference between her saying that to a mentally ill patient and a patient that has cancer? Would it be ok if she said to a cancer patient that their family doesn't want to deal with their illness so they are going to have to spend weeks in the hospital?

That was such a disgusting statement that Maggie could easily be the one called vomit.

That some black hearted dimmly lit soul stuff right there man.

:angry:

As a Nurse Practitioner who started my nursing career as an LPN, I find it totally offensive and unprofessional that you would imply that LPN's are somehow inferior to RN's. You speak to Maggie's unprofessionalism and callousness, however in your next breath you denegrate those you deem to be a of lesser stature than yourself. I treat all my coworkers, be they LPN, RN, CNA, transportation aides or housekeepers, with the same respect I show PA's, NP's and MD's. We are all part of the team that contributes to the positive outcomes our patients have. And no one's part is any more imporatant than anyone else's. We all have a purpose to serve and a common goal : Providing the best possible care to our patients and achieving the maximum positive outcomes. It is a team approach and we all work together and respect one another.

As far as Maggie's comments regarding her duties at work, I can honestly say that I've yet to meet a nurse who has not at one point or another grumbled about having to wipe a butt, clean up a bloody mess, answer a call light that has gone off too many times for seemingly unimportant reasons, or some other task that is just a part of the job, but has for one reason or another is an annoyance at that time. For myself, it's respiratory secretions. I do it because it's part of my job, but truth be told mucous spilling from a clogged trach makes me gag. Does that make me a bad NP? Or mean that I care less about my patients than someone who is not bothered by thick green copiuous sputum? No it doesn't. it means that I am human and just like everyone else there are parts of my job that I do not enjoy.

You should be embarrassed and chagrined at your ridiculous display of snobbery regarding the various levels of nursing care and the titles people hold. And if you tell me that you've never complained about something you had to do as part of your patient care responsibilities than your a liar as well as a snob. I feel sorry for your coworkers and wonder if they realize how little esteem you hold them in.

JZ

Cardiac Nurse Practitioner, MSN, RN and once a "lowly" LPN

St Peter's Hospital, Albany, NY

Voted A TOP 10 Cardiac Hospital 6 yrs in a row and a Top 100 Overall Hospital Nationally 7 years in a row

Thank You, cutienurse,I was kind of insulted by that remark also.I myself could not afford the "education" to become a nurse. but I knew I wanted to work in geriatrics and my body would not allow me to continue as a CNA.(yes I have complained about wiping ass, we know CNA's do the majority of that. LOL) But I worked hard Learned from my superior and after working in an Assisted Living Facility for only 2 and 1/2 years became an administrator without any formal education. Now I am no longer in healthcare but own my own business. Again with no formal education. People really need to think more before posting .

Archived