Sign in to follow this  
Jem

Episode 1.19: Deux Ex Machina

Episode 1.19: Deux Ex Machina

Airdate: March 30, 2005

• 03/14 - Boone becomes concerned when Locke suffers physical problems while they try to find a way into the mysterious hatch. Meanwhile, Jack is reluctant to help when Sawyer starts to experience excruciating headaches, and Michael and Jin struggle to communicate while working together on the raft. Source: ABC

[*]03/11 - Locke begins to suffer physical difficulties as he and Boone try to find a way into the hatch; Jack is reluctant to offer assistance when Sawyer begins to experience excruciating headaches. Source: WCHS8

[*]01/17 - This will be a Locke-centered episode. Source: The Fuselage

• 03/19 - Medical problems abound, as Jack toys with letting Sawyer suffer from his blinding headaches and Locke develops strange symptoms of his own while trying to crack open that enigmatic hatch. Meanwhile, the rift between Michael and Jin makes work on the raft quite a chore. Emily: Swoosie Kurtz. Cooper: Kevin Tighe. Eddie: George O'Hanlon. Source: TitanTV

[*]Deux Ex Machina= God from the machine; refers to an

implausible ending where everything is solved and justice is served.

[*]The episode title is also similar to the title of Chapter 48 of Watership Down "Dea ex Machina." (Watership Down is the book that Sawyer was reading that came from Boone's suitcase).

OMG! Tonights EPI was the best ever!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to cry for Locke. Thats gotta hurt. So sad. And BOONE! AND next weeeeeek OMG> I cant wait that long!

Guest ranster627
Wow, so far tonight's episode is strange. Locke's dream reminded me of a Twin Peaks eppy! I wonder if they brought David Lynch onboard as a writer??

I agree and it had strange shades of The Stand, the vision/dream reminded me of the gatherings of good and evil with the "pointer".

Hmmm, what an a$$ of a father Locke has! :evil:

Im assuming now that it is Boone that bites the big one, sad any of them have to!

Weird about Locke dreaming about that plane. Hubby said that Charlie would like the drugs they found. :roll: Wonder if the radio is salvageable at all.

And the light going on with the capsule! Hmmmm... :shock: I still heard monkeys :?:

Guest ranster627

Wonder who answered Boone on the radio too????

Hmmm, he did get the flight number out! In that dream Locke had, Boone had blood all over him. Locke should have known better.

Guest ranster627

Thought he yelled it while Locke was yelling ... He did say Oceanic for sure, so they would just have to check for missing planes ... UNLESS (OMG) what if this is the ONLY Oceanic flight ever?

Just had an :idea: ... maybe the people in the capsule answered Boone?

Guest XandraSkye
Hmmm, what an a$$ of a father Locke has! :evil:

Seriously! What a rotten thing to do. But I did guess it from the minute I saw him on that dialysis machine.

Hubby said that Charlie would like the drugs they found.  :roll: Wonder if the radio is salvageable at all.

And the light going on with the capsule!  Hmmmm...  :shock: I still heard monkeys  :?:

I said, "Uh oh, they better not let Charlie see those drugs. He'll have the monkey on his back again." Maybe that's the monkey you heard? :P

The latch lighting up made for a great cliff hanger at the end of the episode. I have a feeling these last few episodes are gonna be very suspenseful. I CAN'T WAIT!

Guest ranster627

A question:

Where have I seen the father before (actor) ... and is it just me or did he seem to look a lot like Senator John McCain (who I like loads)!???

Guest ranster627

Oh my gawd! From Emergency! days ...

He seemed so McCainish to me ... amd I way off base?

When Boone said "We're survivors of Oceanic Flight 815" the person on the other end of the radio answered, "There were no survivors of Oceanic Flight 815..." then the plane collapsed. It may have been difficult to hear from the sounds of the plane falling and the tree branches snapping. I "cheat" and watch the show with the Close Captioning on so that I don't miss anything that is said. heh

There are also those who are saying the other person may have said "No, we're the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815..." In truth, it could have been but the first one I stated above is what was written in the Closed Captioning. I've heard some people say perhaps it was people from the tail section of the crashed plane and that theory would support this second statement.

Just thought I would toss that in since a couple of people mentioned the person on the other end. Perhaps it was one of the "Others" on the island, in the radio tower the French woman mentioned maybe, just wanting to make Boone lose any hope he had left. I've given up on trying to figure this show out.. heh

Guest ranster627

Wow ... thanks Gorilla!!!

I should have put my captioning on too!

You really have given food for thought on all counts! Does captioning originate from a "script" or is it done in real time?

Captioning is done by the station -- not the producers of the show.  The captionists

Guest Anonymous

Ok -- coming out of the closet -- I use captioning constantly -- it helps when other sounds distract you from what's being said. And yeah I read it too. lol

But I have noticed times when the captionists definitely got it wrong. So I don't know....

That's true. Sometimes the captions won't match up with what is being said at all. I believe sometimes they do the captions off of the actual script from the shows and then, while in production, a few lines might be changed here and there so if no one catches it the show goes out with mismatched captions.

As an example, (as I, too use captioning almost constantly now.. I enjoy shows more when I know exactly what is being said despite of background noise and such), this happened just last night with King of Queens, as about 4 lines in the middle of the show were completely different than the captioning.

Even if they do not go off the script, I'm thinking sometimes they watch a tape of the show, do the captions, then they decide to re-shoot certain scenes with different lines and forget about the captions.

In any event, with shows such as Lost where you hear a lot of whispering and background noises, it can really help to have this function turned on and after a while you get so used to it that you can read what is being said without missing any of the visuals in the scenes as well.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Gorilla! You're absolutely right. I kinda like the second option more don't you? "No, we are the survivors...."

Now that would add an interesting twist wouldnt it?

Guest ranster627

I love all the options ... freaking me out!

Guest ranster627
Its like a book I want to pick up and finish to find out what's going on -- but I can't !  Arrrgh!

It's like a mystery novel without the last page! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Yes! Thats what I was trying to find the words to say. lol -- It must be getting late here -- I'm starting to lose my ability to think lol

Ok so the time of day is a poor excuse lol

Guest ranster627

Location: Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:23 PM Title: "We ARE survivors of flight 815"

I've played the radio part over and over today, and have included a bunch of people at work to hear it as well.

I am SO certain the voice comes back "We ARE surviors of oceanic flight 815".

When I first heard it, I too, thought it said "are no" , as in "there are no survivors", but there is no NO, trust me.

And just to add another twist... I think it's Boone's voice on the other end of the radio, it sound just like he normally talks, inflection tone, etc.

So in a Twilight Zone way, I think that Boone does NOT die, that Sayid rescues the radio from the plane, and the infirm Boone who isn't well enough to do anything else but lay next to the Radio and listen.

Location: Louisiana Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:36 PM Title: CC

First of all, Closed Captioning is not always correct. I've seen many of instances where it was off, maybe just a little, maybe totally off. I listened to that part over, and over, and over again, even put my headphones on and listened to it loudly. What I make out from the response on the other end of the transmission is:

"No. WE'RE there survivors of oceanic flight 8-1-5."

To me, that makes more sense that to say:

"There WERE no survivors of oceanic flight 8-1-5."

The first statement would prove that there are probably other suvivors, from the tail section, perhaps. Remember when Rose said that she KNEW her husband was alive? She had faith...remember? They could be on the other part of the island, or on another nearby island. They can't be THAT far from some kind of civilation really. A small engine airplane, like the one Boone and Locke found, couldn't be that far from some kind of civilization, could it? Plus, there were maps of Nigeria and the Sahara Desert in the plane. I just babble on sometimes, but I think it's quite possible that they aren't as far out as possible.

Another possibility that I've toyed with was maybe they slipped into some kind of parellel universe or something....maybe got caught in the Bermuda Triangle, where apparently many of planes and ships have come up missing. Anyhow...just thoughts.

Okay Gang! I went surfing as this was killing me! Seems the same debate is raging on other boards ... These two posts intrigued me ...

After reviewing the tape again and again, I too heard, "we are the survivors" ...

You can actually go to abc's site and listen for yourself.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index.html

click video gallery (to the left)

click now click the lost channel (black icon in middle of screen)

click Lost:

Episode 19 Recap - "Deus Ex Machina" (next to locke's picture)

Guest ranster627

and what did you think Jem?

Hmmm, Im thinking that they said "No, we're the survivors of flight 815." But eveything else I read people are saying that its "There were no survivors of flight 815."

So I dunno :?: