Elissa - DE/Week 10/11 - Evicted (D/E Sep. 5) - Juror #6

JEDI

I don't think Elissa should have been in the house because she had connections and because she sucked at the game. But, in no way do I think her doing BB makes her a bad parent. Three months is not that long. I grew up in the south and I knew kids that came down from the north every summer and spent it with relatives. A lot of them arrived the first weekend after school was out and stayed until the weekend before school started. It wasn't a big deal. There's no need to even go into how much time military personnel spend away from their kids.

I am a little miffed, how is touring Africa a once in a lifetime opportunity? Africa is not going any where and as long as you have the money, you can go to Africa. I would think that you only get one chance to say yes to doing BB unless you are called back for allstars. But, you can only get to allstars by saying yes the first time they called.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This USTREAM podcast I am watching has a ribbon across the bottom of the screen telling everyone to vote for Elissa for America's favorite. Thousands are watching this podcast!!

gnomesmileyf.gif

that is just wrong

I don't know Elissa personally so I DID not & cannot say she is an unfit mother. I'm just saying that, IMO, she made a selfish decision. Im sure her son is well cared for in her absence BUT as a mother, I would feel guilty for leaving my 8 yr old for 3 months in an effort to be "famous" (but with no real talent to warrant celebrity status) and to MAYBE win $500k when they are already financially stable.

I just don't understand (or admire) the whole, "look at me, look at me, aren't I fabulous" mentality and I (either correctly or incorrectly) get the impression (for many reasons that i wont list) that being "famous" is what she is about. If I'm wrong, bad on me I guess.

Maybe you shouldn't breed if you are just going to be unpleasant if someone has a difference of opinion, because no kid is going to agree with everything you think. (Well, unless your into that brainwashing style of parenting, which is quite frightening.)

Personally think it would be interesting to see how far I could go in BB, but I'm a gamer. I love all types of games, board, cards, video, mmorpg. BB would be an ultimate game and it would be fun to see if I read people as well as I think I do. There are very few people who ever get to play a game on this type of scale.

So yes, I would see it as a rare oppertunity and dont think that would make me a bad mother, because I know how to give a kid focused attention and instruction in the time that I am with them. We are a strict but silly, fun household. And I have faith in the rest of the people in my life to be there when I cannot.

And while 3 months might at times feel long to a child, its still not, especially if you are using the rest of your time right.

Point out where I was unpleasant.

Let me know when you give birth. It might change your perspective.

I think you've forgotten the child's perspective.

Three months IS a VERY long time from an eight year olds perspective no matter WHO is the other care provider. Time passes quicker once you're an adult.

She's not off on a military stint.

Going up into the shuttle is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Touring Africa is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Big Brother is a smarmy reality show that only desperation for supposedly ' easy money ' might drive one to participate in.

If you don't need the money and you think Big Brother's a golden opportunity not to be missed -- you probaly shouldn't have bred in the first place.

Next........................................

Dang, don't you think that last statement is a little harsh?

While you may think the show is smarmy because of certain individuals, there are many who do not share your opinion.

They think it is a golden opportunity for themselves and being without their children for a three month period is not too great a price to pay for the chance to win a half million dollars.

But whether or not a parent should grab that opportunity would definitely depend on their children and their sense of independence.

Some children of that age may not have a problem with the separation.

They may be used to it: going to summer camp the entire summer, visiting relatives overseas or in another state for the summer, or having a parent that travels a lot for work and who may be on assignment out of town for months at a time.

Kids have the ability to cope.

Parents should not feel guilty or question their parenting skills because they choose to be apart from their children for a three month period.

Especially if their children will be well taken care of by their spouse, nanny and/or grandparents and if it's for the betterment of their families.

And while Elissa may not NEED the money, I am sure that, like 90% of the people on this planet, she could make good use of a half million dollars.

It is always nice to have your own and not have to depend on your spouse's income.

Dang, don't you think that last statement is a little harsh? Not in the least.

While you may think the show is smarmy because of certain individuals, there are many who do not share your opinion. No, I think the show is smarmy as a whole - not just by the hand of a few.

They think it is a golden opportunity for themselves and being without their children for a three month period is not too great a price to pay for the chance to win a half million dollars. Hope they still think so after taxes and the fallout.

But whether or not a parent should grab that opportunity would definitely depend on their children and their sense of independence. Or the parents lack of consideration. An eight year old pours its own cereal and ties their shoes. Emotionally they do not compare to a thirteen year old. - but to each their own.

Some children of that age may not have a problem with the separation. Majority would.

They may be used to it: going to summer camp the entire summer, visiting relatives overseas or in another state for the summer, or having a parent that travels a lot for work and who may be on assignment out of town for months at a time. Being forced to leave due to the job is not the same as volunteering for a cheesey TV show. Summer camps are four and eight weeks. Three being the norm.

Kids have the ability to cope. Having the ability and being forced to are two seperate things.

Parents should not feel guilty or question their parenting skills because they choose to be apart from their children for a three month period. Maybe they should.

Especially if their children will be well taken care of by their spouse, nanny and/or grandparents and if it's for the betterment of their families. Big Brother and betterment don't quit go hand in hand. Elissa and Helen lost. oopsy.

And while Elissa may not NEED the money, I am sure that, like 90% of the people on this planet, she could make good use of a half million dollars. For more enhancements? I never heard one word come out of her mouth about donating it to a charity. And were she to keep it I have no doubt her idea of good use would include a plactic surgeon whom she probably already has a running tab with.

It is always nice to have your own and not have to depend on your spouse's income. She teaches yoga AND loves telling everyone everything nice they own. Doubt it bothers her to spend his dollar.

Dang, don't you think that last statement is a little harsh?

While you may think the show is smarmy because of certain individuals, there are many who do not share your opinion.

They think it is a golden opportunity for themselves and being without their children for a three month period is not too great a price to pay for the chance to win a half million dollars.

But whether or not a parent should grab that opportunity would definitely depend on their children and their sense of independence.

Some children of that age may not have a problem with the separation.

They may be used to it: going to summer camp the entire summer, visiting relatives overseas or in another state for the summer, or having a parent that travels a lot for work and who may be on assignment out of town for months at a time.

Kids have the ability to cope.

Parents should not feel guilty or question their parenting skills because they choose to be apart from their children for a three month period.

Especially if their children will be well taken care of by their spouse, nanny and/or grandparents and if it's for the betterment of their families.

And while Elissa may not NEED the money, I am sure that, like 90% of the people on this planet, she could make good use of a half million dollars.

It is always nice to have your own and not have to depend on your spouse's income.

You make some good points but, "Parents should not feel guilty or question their parenting skills because they choose to be apart from their children for a three month period?" Really???? Even if they choose to leave their child for three months just so they can be on BB? Even military moms i know would disagree with that. If I polled every mom I know, I'm reasonably sure not one of them would agree with that statement. I guess we're from two different worlds - I prefer mine:). Mayberry's a nice place to raise your kids. Lol

You make some good points but, "Parents should not feel guilty or question their parenting skills because they choose to be apart from their children for a three month period?" Really???? Even if they choose to leave their child for three months just so they can be on BB? Even military moms i know would disagree with that. If I polled every mom I know, I'm reasonably sure not one of them would agree with that statement. I guess we're from two different worlds - I prefer mine:). Mayberry's a nice place to raise your kids. Lol

nods

Personally, I think too many people are questioning Elissa's decision to leave her child for 3 months without knowing her personal circumstances. I realize that most of us would not be able to make this decision and feel it would cause separation anxiety for our child; however, how many of us have a 13 year old with 3 thriving internet businesses and their own car years before they will be able to obtain a valid license? It is very difficult to question her decision without understanding the dynamics of her family. I can not begin to put myself in her shoes and would never judge a lifestyle that I have no knowledge of personally. I am from a different world, but unlike the houseguests this season, I will not speak poorly of Elissa and her family. I feel I have no right to judge!!!

Point out where I was unpleasant.

Let me know when you give birth. It might change your perspective.

You implied I shouldn't breed, because I do think the chance to play BB is one I wouldnt want to miss and I don't need the money. Telling someone they shouldnt have kids is kind of rough. Personally, if you need the money, you shouldn't play. You should get a reliable job instead.

Seriously, more people visit Africa than can play BB, and you since you say that touring Africa would be a once in a lifetime opportunity, I dont know how BB wouldnt. I think the mental excercise would be interesting and I wonder what I'd learn about myself.

And although I mentioned how my perspective on motherhood was shaped by being a stepmother, I never said I havent given birth. Actually, I thought it was quite clear I have other kids, but it was the stepson, whose life I've been a part of since near the beginning that taught me lot about how even in absentee, you influence your kids lives. My perspective is just fine.

Edited to add: Of course, I do think if they cast more hard core gamers instead of the wannabes, the game would be a lot better. And of course, Elissa is bit of a wannabe, but even that doesn't make her a bad parent by default.

You implied I shouldn't breed, because I do think the chance to play BB is one I wouldnt want to miss and I don't need the money. Telling someone they shouldnt have kids is kind of rough. Personally, if you need the money, you shouldn't play. You should get a reliable job instead.

Seriously, more people visit Africa than can play BB, and you since you say that touring Africa would be a once in a lifetime opportunity, I dont know how BB wouldnt. I think the mental excercise would be interesting and I wonder what I'd learn about myself.

And although I mentioned how my perspective on motherhood was shaped by being a stepmother, I never said I havent given birth. Actually, I thought it was quite clear I have other kids, but it was the stepson, whose life I've been a part of since near the beginning that taught me lot about how even in absentee, you influence your kids lives. My perspective is just fine.

Edited to add: Of course, I do think if they cast more hard core gamers instead of the wannabes, the game would be a lot better. And of course, Elissa is bit of a wannabe, but even that doesn't make her a bad parent by default.

you don't have to defend your parenting ..some people think it's ok to judge others about things they know NOTHING about ..such as what Elissa would spend the money on ..etc.. of course these people must be perfect parents! lol I seriously doubt Elissa will lose one minute of sleep over anyone's opinion ..she seems to have a good life no matter who likes it or her..i can't wait till she wins AF ..it's gonna tick a lot iof people off and that makes me laugh! :D

I don't know Elissa personally so I DID not & cannot say she is an unfit mother. I'm just saying that, IMO, she made a selfish decision. Im sure her son is well cared for in her absence BUT as a mother, I would feel guilty for leaving my 8 yr old for 3 months in an effort to be "famous" (but with no real talent to warrant celebrity status) and to MAYBE win $500k when they are already financially stable.

I just don't understand (or admire) the whole, "look at me, look at me, aren't I fabulous" mentality and I (either correctly or incorrectly) get the impression (for many reasons that i wont list) that being "famous" is what she is about. If I'm wrong, bad on me I guess.

do you think the same of Helen? she left 2 real young children ..but no ones judging her ...odd