Howard - Week 2

CeCiMom

howardcastphoto.jpg

Name: Howard Overby

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howard is invisible, but that is not always the best strategy. He can fly under the radar for only so long. He had better keep TMC alliance real close, he really has no one else (with the exception of Helen) if he gets caught in a tight spot.

I really want to keep rooting for Howard. And I also get this is a game and you have to let some things roll off your back. But at some point I really hope he checks Spencer and crew. They are getting bolder and bolder with the racist crap they say in front of him. Today when Spencer said Candice had no "merit" to be there and CBS just needed a black chick...? Really? What is your "merit" Spencer? Red headed, out of shape, red-neck?

I really want to keep rooting for Howard. And I also get this is a game and you have to let some things roll off your back. But at some point I really hope he checks Spencer and crew. They are getting bolder and bolder with the racist crap they say in front of him. Today when Spencer said Candice had no "merit" to be there and CBS just needed a black chick...? Really? What is your "merit" Spencer? Red headed, out of shape, red-neck?

I couldn't have said it better.

How is calling Spencer a "redneck" any better than the things he says? I don't think the HGs should be making those comments, but I am becoming aware of the double standards of derogatory comments.

Anyway, Howard is a lump in the house, doesn't add anything to the game play. He could have stayed home and sat on his couch.

How is calling Spencer a "redneck" any better than the things he says? I don't think the HGs should be making those comments, but I am becoming aware of the double standards of derogatory comments.

Anyway, Howard is a lump in the house, doesn't add anything to the game play. He could have stayed home and sat on his couch.

Because a redneck is not race specific. Not in the south, anyway. I don't remember Jeff Foxworthy having a problem with calling a redneck a redneck...

Because a redneck is not race specific. Not in the south, anyway. I don't remember Jeff Foxworthy having a problem with calling a redneck a redneck...

Epithets like "redneck" and "hillbilly" seem to have become somewhat acceptable. Judd has been called "hillbilly," on this site with no repercussion other than a discussion of the definition of "hillbilly." That doesn't make it right. You are right, Gingersnaps. I agreed with your original post Annamrie42 and still do except for calling spencer a redneck. I acknowledge that the terms are used openly in titles, etc.....

Oh, as for Howard.......I like Howard well enough but I would like him a lot more if he would maybe put the bible aside for a second and be real about defending himself and others from the scurrilous remarks and language floating around that house. It takes a strong man or woman to stop that stuff. It is time.

Slimcruz, I see your point and I agree. I have to remember where I am speaking. Here in Alabama, where I live, most of the white males I work with and are friends with take redneck as a compliment in the sense that it means they are not afraid to work outside in the sun, hence the red neck. But, there are some that take is as a slur, so I will refrain from using it.

Slimcruz, I see your point and I agree. I have to remember where I am speaking. Here in Alabama, where I live, most of the white males I work with and are friends with take redneck as a compliment in the sense that it means they are not afraid to work outside in the sun, hence the red neck. But, there are some that take is as a slur, so I will refrain from using it.

I live in Alabama also and the term redneck isn't insulting around here. The guys work and play out side, most live outside the major cities and hunt, 4 wheel, mud riding, fish, and hang around campfires drinking and talking, cutting up. Trash either Alabama or Auburn football, depends on which team you go for. I'm sure in other places around the country "rednecks" are the same, but the only football team the curse is Alabama. A lot of them are firefighters, medics, construction, police or other jobs and only are "rednecks" on the weekends hanging out with their friends. I can't see Judd or Spencer being insulted for being called a redneck, they would be more insulted being called a floater.

I am from the deep south. Secondary education in the east and back to the deep south for college. I am a conservative woman thankful for the opportunities that luck and life have presented. Redneck and hillbilly and white trash and cracker are stereotypical and derogatory terms in my world. That won't change.

Hey

I live in Alabama also and the term redneck isn't insulting around here. The guys work and play out side, most live outside the major cities and hunt, 4 wheel, mud riding, fish, and hang around campfires drinking and talking, cutting up. Trash either Alabama or Auburn football, depends on which team you go for. I'm sure in other places around the country "rednecks" are the same, but the only football team the curse is Alabama. A lot of them are firefighters, medics, construction, police or other jobs and only are "rednecks" on the weekends hanging out with their friends. I can't see Judd or Spencer being insulted for being called a redneck, they would be more insulted being called a floater.

Hey Luvmanatees, ROLL TIDE!!! :kisss:

I really want to keep rooting for Howard. And I also get this is a game and you have to let some things roll off your back. But at some point I really hope he checks Spencer and crew. They are getting bolder and bolder with the racist crap they say in front of him. Today when Spencer said Candice had no "merit" to be there and CBS just needed a black chick...? Really? What is your "merit" Spencer? Red headed, out of shape, red-neck

I just find it hard that someone who would not be in favor of offensive comments, call someone a "redneck." So, words are only offensive if they are targeted toward a race of people?

I am from the deep south. Secondary education in the east and back to the deep south for college. I am a conservative woman thankful for the opportunities that luck and life have presented. Redneck and hillbilly and white trash and cracker are stereotypical and derogatory terms in my world. That won't change.

Exactly! I think because they are directed toward white people, no one gives a damn.

Just because some don't find it offensive and use it often doesn't make it right. With that line of thinking, since black people refer to themselves as "n" words and feel it's okay to do so to eachother, then it would be okay for others to say the same, right? Wrong, we know how that would play out.

Honestly, I don't get too caught up in all this stuff, because I do know that there are people with absolutely no filters, but what I do find odd that only Spencer, Aaryn, and Gina Marie are being called out for it when Amanda and Andy have also said things and others have sat their and listened to it.

I also find it odd how some can take offense to some comments and not to all negative comments. I remember years ago, when "retard" and lesbian comments were made and people went out of their minds, yet there were loads of comments about women in general and gays and no one seemed to care. I guess it matters who is saying them.

I don't approve of racist comments, but you have take it from where it comes from and basically they are just a bunch of attention whores in the house and will do anything for attention.

I just chalk up a lot of the stupid talk to ignorant people without filters. Facebook has petitions and people commenting on every word said in the BB house. People petitioning to get these people fired.

I have better things to do with my time then dissect every word that might be offensive in the BB house.

I call out people at work for their language in my presence. That is my world and my right. Not that it does any good. :kwasny:

Oh, as for Howard.......I like Howard well enough but I would like him a lot more if he would maybe put the bible aside for a second and be real about defending himself and others from the scurrilous remarks and language floating around that house. It takes a strong man or woman to stop that stuff. It is time.

What do you think would happen to Howard if he called Spencer out on his bigotry? Do you think he doesn't want to knock his block off? Because I can tell you he does, but he's doing the right thing by doing what it takes to stay in the game... Because if he goes off then he'll become "the angry black man" in their eyes, and he'll go on the block and out. What he can do is wait until Spence is nomed, and then vote him out.

What do you think would happen to Howard if he called Spencer out on his bigotry? Do you think he doesn't want to knock his block off? Because I can tell you he does, but he's doing the right thing by doing what it takes to stay in the game... Because if he goes off then he'll become "the angry black man" in their eyes, and he'll go on the block and out. What he can do is wait until Spence is nomed, and then vote him out.

I see your point. I hope he gets the chance. He is pretty forgiving.

Redneck refuses to be used on the dark brown folks they just do not get red necks. Only the creamy colored get that. So redneck, cracker, honky, haole (used for Europeans in Hawaii), are directed at Europeans..then there is kraut for germans and frog (not kermit) for the french, wop for Italians, spic for any spanish. So Europeans have been singled out not just by those who are dark but by their other countries of Europe. I thought Jap was a shortened for Japanese until a student explained it was derogatory so I learned something and my father always said let's eat chinks and I thought it a derivation of chop suey and chow mein and only learned it was a derogatory about their eyes when I was in college. He was referring to the food and he never called the people that, so I don't think he was being actually racist even though it was a racist term. He called Japanese jap because he was in that war and after all that was the headlines of the day and I thought it was just a shortcut for the name as a result when I saw the series he always watched on the war and they showed those headlines on TV. I like the word gay to mean happy and not homosexual and jap seems to make sense for a headline since Japanese is so long. I have a problem with being so politically correct and at the same time recognize that calling people derogatory names is nasty. Arabs get called camel jockeys and ragheads...well they do race camels and they do wear cloth on their heads...I think raghead is offensive because of the rag but I like camel jockey because there is an elegance to their use of the camel...their saddles and all the tassels swinging are really sexy and they cut an elegant figure in their robes and turbans. I wish they were not so sexist as a culture and angry and bigotted about any one else's beliefs since theirs encourages them to annihilate those who do not agree with them. They are not alone in this position, but their religion is more aggressive than others in this regard. As for those who have disabilities, handicapped has no stigma to me, but what to say about those with mental disability? Retarded has become a bad word but is it worse than slow or special ( that is so false as to be a slap in the face) Words are words and when they get used negatively, people's feelings get hurt. People get offended by words like penis and vagina now when the other words are just as valid but if I wrote them, someone would probably blank them out. They are our body parts what is offensive about them? I like mine for all they do for me and hope that you would feel the same about yours.