Geo-Blocking - Feeds blocked for out of USA viewers and what to do...

morty

ATTENTION:

We have updated info! You can ignore all this crap and skip down to here:

http://www.tvfanforums.net/index.php?/topic/88050-geo-blocking-feeds-blocked-for-out-of-usa-viewers-and-what-to-do/#entry789321

During Big Brother Canada, the Yanks learned a lot about Geo-Blocking and how to get around it. Here's some info I hope will help those of you with problems.

List of the top five free VPN services around for circumventing censorship at home and at the workplace, and for protecting your identity and data from prying eyes; especially useful when for public Wi-Fi connections.

So what is a VPN? A VPN is a private network with “virtual” encrypted connections routed through the Internet to remote servers. The data traveling between you and those servers is encrypted, and the IP address that will appear will surfing or downloading content from the Internet will be that of the server and not your own.

Thus, a VPN provides a level of anonymity on the Internet that helps protect your data and identity from theieves, criminals, and the prying eyes of govt.

VPNs willl become a vital tool, in conjunction with proxies and other methods, to avoid DNS filtering and other Internet censorship plans being formulated by US authorities under the PROTECT IP Act.

I’ve taken the time to compile a list of the 5 of the best free VPN services around. All offer upgrade packages for a nominal monthly fee ($6 and up) if you find the bandwitdh data and speed caps too restraining, and each are fairly easy to set up and install.

flowvpn.jpg

1. VPNBook

The free VPN service offers unrestricted speed and unlimited traffic, so whether you want to watch a movie, download a torrent or run any traffic intensive apps, it does not restrict speed whether you use 1GB or 100GB of bandwidth in a day.

Its VPN servers are properly optimized to maximize your speed and browsing experience all while maintaining your privacy online.

Available on Mac, PC, and Linux, you’ll also need to download the open-source OpenVPN Client along with the configuration and certificate file.

vpn.png

2. SecurityKiss

SecurityKiss is a popular free VPN service available for use on PCs only. The paid version available for use on Mac, Linux, and smartphones.

The free package includes a 300MB daily limit, and an unspecified bandwidth speed cap of less than 12.5 Mbps, and basic packages start at about $6 per month.

Software installation is required.

security-kiss.png

3. CyberGhost

Cyber Ghost’s free free VPN service includes a generous 1GB daily data limit, and a modest bandwidth speed cap of 2 Mbps.

The free VPN service has “limited availability with possible waiitng times” so don’t expect quality round-the-clock access. Also, Cyber Ghost advertises forced disconnection after 6 hours with a redial possible to make room for other free users and prevent server hogging.

Cyber Ghost is limited to PCs only, and software installation is required.

Paid packages start at $6 per month.

cyberghost.png

4. Hotspot Shield

Anchor Free’s free Hotspot Shield VPN service is one of the more popular free VPN services around because of its generous data allowance and ease of installation and use.

Anchor Free’s Hotspot Shield service includes a rather generous 10GB monthly limit with no mention of bandwidth speed caps.

It works on Mac and PCs along with Android and iOS devices.

anchor.png

5. Steganos’ Online Shield 365

Steganos rounds out the list of the “Top 5 Free VPN Services.” Steganos offers users a FREE version Online Shield 365 with protection for a decent 500 MB/month.

You can remove the data cap with for $69.95.

The nice thing about Online Shield 365 is that it runs quietly in your system tray; turn it off and quietly and effortlessly.

Steganos’ Online Shield 365 works on Windows XP, Vista, and Win 7.

steganos-300x197.png

Stay tuned.

Sadly, VPN doesn't seem to be working for the live feeds now.

I signed up a couple of weeks ago, made my payment (which was accepted and processed). I could access the live feed area and see the chat, watch the videos that were there, etc.

Today though, I get blocked when I try to access the area. The page loads and then a message saying: "This content is restricted in your area" is displayed.

Hopefully someone can come up with another workaround, or somewhere that the live feeds might be broadcast.

I am one PO'd Canadian!

Sorry to post again...but...

I believe I have work around for the VPN issues for Canadian Viewers.

I went in and edited the GEOIP Cookie that CBS installs in your browser after signing up and I no longer get the Region restriction message I was previously getting. You need to the change the Country ID to US instead of CA.

I'll know more once the feeds start later tonight/tomorrow, but hopefully this will help.

I can provide detailed instructions if anyone wants them.

Moses, I would love to know what you find out!

I have used Hotspot Shield for years on my other computer and never had a problem. I have downloaded that again. *sigh*

Maybe this is the BBCA revenge? We didn't share our feeds... maybe they should have lol

So far it seems to be working fine. The chat is up and running like it was before they blocked me out.

Of course you'll need to subscribe to the feeds first, before you even begin to do this or it won't work at all. If you can't get past the Sign-up screen, I have a work around for that, and you can use your Canadian Credit Card to pay, even though it says you can't. Have a work around for that too.

Here's what I did to get it to work...I'm using Firefox as my browser.

1. Under Firefox Add-Ons get the "Cookies Manager+" add-on (just search for Cookie Manager), install that and restart Firefox.

2. Under Firefox Options, go to Prviacy and Under History choose: Use Custom Settings for History

3. Select "Show Cookies"

4. Search for "CBS" (there are a bunch of them).

5. You want the one named: cbsgeoip

6. Select the little Pallette icon (the icon appears after you've installed the add-on) next to the Remove All Cookies button

7. It'll pop-up another window where you can search for cookies again. Find the CBS - cbsgeoip again.

8. Select it and choose edit

9. Okay...here's where you make the change: There's a line called "Content: CA" the CA is your country code (CA - Canada). You need to change this to US

10. Then click save

11. Restart Firefox

12. Go back to your link to the LiveFeeds (bookmark or however you get there) and it should load as it was previously without the "Region Blocked" notification.

NOTE: Whatever you do, don't delete your cookies for CBS. It will lose all the information you put in for payment and you'll have to pay again (trust me...I know...UGH!)

Hope this helps.

M.

So far it seems to be working fine. The chat is up and running like it was before they blocked me out.

Of course you'll need to subscribe to the feeds first, before you even begin to do this or it won't work at all. If you can't get past the Sign-up screen, I have a work around for that, and you can use your Canadian Credit Card to pay, even though it says you can't. Have a work around for that too.

1. Under Firefox Add-Ons get the "Cookies Manager+" add-on (just search for Cookie Manager), install that and restart Firefox.

2. Under Firefox Options, go to Prviacy and Under History choose: Use Custom Settings for History

3. Select "Show Cookies"

4. Search for "CBS" (there are a bunch of them).

5. You want the one named: cbsgeoip

6. Select the little Pallette icon (the icon appears after you've installed the add-on) next to the Remove All Cookies button

7. It'll pop-up another window where you can search for cookies again. Find the CBS - cbsgeoip again.

8. Select it and choose edit

9. Okay...here's where you make the change: There's a line called "Content: CA" the CA is your country code (CA - Canada). You need to change this to US

10. Then click save

11. Restart Firefox

12. Go back to your link to the LiveFeeds (bookmark or however you get there) and it should load as it was previously without the "Region Blocked" notification.

NOTE: Whatever you do, don't delete your cookies for CBS. It will lose all the information you put in for payment and you'll have to pay again (trust me...I know...UGH!)

Hope this helps.

M.

THANK YOU!!!!

I was still having issues once I downloaded the Hot Spot Shield! I did this (took fewer steps) but it works so far! WOOOOOHOOOO!!!! I am excited again :)

3. Select "Show Cookies" ....

Moses, Thank You So Much! You're bloody brilliant. I hope your free, VPNless solution works for everyone.

If you are over 40 and don't understand the instructions, fine the nearest teenager and they should be able to hook you up.

Thanks again Moses.

Not as brilliant as I thought...

Currently I can see the chat, twitter, and links to the archived videos etc., but I can't see the live video feed.

I just get a loading screen...forever...like it's trying but can't quite get there.

If I find another workaround to this I'll post it.

Sigh...why you gotta make it so difficult BB.

This viewer should solve your problems:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vua8wtv4n7zgqd/BBViewer-2.0.air

I tried it. I installed it in the /Program Files/ directory as is the default, popped the log-in window up to full screen, opened the "log In" box in the upper right corner of the CBS site, signed in, and all was cool.

The program uses Adobe Air, if you don't have it install (works on Mac & Windows) get it here:

http://get.adobe.com/air/

If anyone has any other work throughs please please post them. I tried both the other ones, and they didn't work. I'm deployed to the Middle East and reaaalllly want to watch the feeds!

I bought the feeds did the changes as listed all I get is loading screen, also I was logged out of CBS now it shows region restricted again. The other option of d/l that program did not work either just a black screen and the update would not complete as there was an error. I deleted the program amd i feel i have justed wasted my money on the feeds unless there is further help to these issues

If anyone has any other work throughs please please post them. I tried both the other ones, and they didn't work. I'm deployed to the Middle East and reaaalllly want to watch the feeds!

Hey Sheldon,

What VPN/DNS service are you currently using? If you're out of the country you might need to use something stronger like StrongVPN instead of just a DNS changer like Unblock-US.

Moses.

I bought the feeds did the changes as listed all I get is loading screen, also I was logged out of CBS now it shows region restricted again. The other option of d/l that program did not work either just a black screen and the update would not complete as there was an error. I deleted the program amd i feel i have justed wasted my money on the feeds unless there is further help to these issues

Hey CupCake,

What VPN/DNS service are you using and are you located in Canada? Are you using Firefox to watch or another browser? You should still be able to sign in to your CBS account even if you can't get to the feeds. Did you change the cookies or delete them? If you delete them, it causes issues.

Am assuming that you were able to purchase the feeds with your credit card etc. beforehand.

M.

I'm in Canada and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the live feeds. Any easy suggestions that might work. I've tried the previous topic how to do it but it didn't work out. Thanks for any info! I'm so sad.

Hey Penny,

Again, what VPN/DNS service are you using? Have you purchased your feeds and created your CBS account? Once you have that done, the steps I detailled above should work.

M.

Moses, I dont know what a VPN is.... Where do I get one??

Hey Sheldon,

A VPN or DNS blocker/changer is needed to view the live feeds. Basically it's software that makes the servers at CBS think that you are in the United States instead of where you are located (in your case the Middle East).

I use a VPN service called STRONGDNS you can find them online at www.strongdns.com, or you could try a similar pay service like www.unblock-us.com. They aren't free though. Each one cost about $60US for the year. There are some free ones that Morty linked to at the top of this thread. You could try one of those first if you don't want to pay. The beauty of STRONGDNS (or a similar DNS changer) is that you can then get US content for Netflix, HULU and other online services. You still have to sign up and pay for them, but the selection (in Netflix's case is far superior - Canada - 900+ movies, US - 14,000+ movies).

You'll also have to purchase the feeds from CBS and create an account if you don't already have one. The signup says you need to be in the United States, but you don't. You can get around it by entering your name and street address and then using a special formula to figure out a city and zipcode that works for your area. Not sure how that works in the middle east, but in Canada you use a formula based on yoru postal code. Sure you can find a link somewhere on google. Once you've got your Feeds purchased you can follow the instructions that I previously posted about how to access the feeds.

It's not too difficult if you're familiar with computers and the internet in general. You just have to change a few settings and you'll be away to the races.

Instead of messing with VPNs, try this BB Viewer: This requires Adobe Air as Morty mentioned in a previous post.

Fuskie

Who believes most people have had success with it.

Absolutely...it works as well. Good call.

Hey Sheldon,

What VPN/DNS service are you currently using? If you're out of the country you might need to use something stronger like StrongVPN instead of just a DNS changer like Unblock-US.

Moses.

Hey CupCake,

What VPN/DNS service are you using and are you located in Canada? Are you using Firefox to watch or another browser? You should still be able to sign in to your CBS account even if you can't get to the feeds. Did you change the cookies or delete them? If you delete them, it causes issues.

Am assuming that you were able to purchase the feeds with your credit card etc. beforehand.

M.

Hey Penny,

Again, what VPN/DNS service are you using? Have you purchased your feeds and created your CBS account? Once you have that done, the steps I detailled above should work.

M.

I am in CANADA and I do not have a VPN, I use firefox, I have the cbs account but the live feeds now send me to the purchase screen, I followed the steps above and have not done anything since with the cookies. Yes I purchased the feeds. The program listed here BB Viewer I d/l and installed, directed me to the cbs site, I logged in then just a black screen. The update is a corrupt file. So I have no clue what to do now.

Try this. On the Highlight tab of the CBS viewer, click on one of the highlight videos. It should load in the video window. Then click on one of the feed links at the bottom of the video window. That's what got it working for me.

Fuskie

Who didn't have problems after that...

Hi Everyone

I need help LOL....anyway I am a Canadian and I would like to get the live feeds, I've read the topics in here but how does one pay for the feeds from Canada? I don't have a zipcode, city or state?

Can someone help me.

Ok I think I have paid, can someone direct me what to do next?

Hi everyone, I signed up for the season pass using a US address and the money was accepted by CBS. I have tried the 1st method (using firefox) and could not get past a small grey box with CBS in the center and small balls moving around it ( the loading screen) I did use the cookie manager, but it made no difference. I emailed CBS a minimum of 5 times and non of their help worked so I requested a refund & received my money back. This was on my laptop with windows 8. yesterday I noticed the new 2nd method. I took my other laptop with windows 7 , wiped it back to factory settings & installed and updated all the regular programs. I re-purchased the season feeds & I installed Air & drop box and still just get a black screen that wont load the feeds. very frustrated, willing to give access to my computer if someone can set it up, I just really miss my feeds