Actress criticized for questioning Sept. 11 attacks

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Actress criticized for questioning Sept. 11 attacks

CBC Arts

gyllenhaal_maggie_cp_752583.jpg

NEW YORK - The website of actress Maggie Gyllenhaal has been flooded with negative posts after she suggested the U.S. is partly to blame for the Sept. 11 attacks.

Gyllenhaal, 27, said in an interview last week that America "is responsible in some way" for the suicide skyjackings.

Maggie Gyllenhaal at the Tribeca Film Festival. (AP photo)

Her comments came prior to the debut of The Great New Wonderful, a film about New Yorkers coping with the aftermath of the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001.

Her official site was choked with critical posts, prompting the editor to turn off the electronic forum.

"I have taken away the comments system, because it's gotten too outta hand," the editor wrote.

In a statement, the star of such films as Secretary and Donnie Darko said Sept. 11 was "an occasion to be brave enough to ask some serious questions about America's role in the world. Because it is always useful as individuals or nations to ask how we may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to this conflict."

"Not to have the courage to ask these questions of ourselves is to betray the victims of 9/11," she added, saying she grieves for "everyone who suffered and everyone who died in the catastrophe."

In another message, the site's editor stressed that the young performer did not say the U.S. deserved the attacks.

Gyllenhaal plays Emma in The Great New Wonderful, one of a number of movies soon to land in theatres or currently in production that touch on Sept. 11.

It had its debut at the Tribeca Film Festival, which was established by actor Robert De Niro to help boost the economy of Manhattan after the attacks. The event runs until May 1.

Gyllenhaal is the older sister of actor Jake Gyllenhaal, who was in Iqaluit for last week's Earth Day protest.

Thank you for posting this article.

I feel the most freedom and patriotic when I see someone stand up for their beliefs and make me think? I feel it least when someone is critized for making people think. Go Maggie!

Edited:

I would like to add that... imo, we have a duty to learn everything we can from that horrible day... noone in no way deserved what happened that day... but history will only repeat itself if we don't learn from those events... including looking within.

(personal comments... please don't blame morty's tv for them)

Gyllenhaal fan site swamped with hate posts

NEW YORK -- A fan Web site dedicated to Maggie Gyllenhaal has shut down its bulletin board after the actress drew a storm of criticism for suggesting America was "responsible in some way" for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The actress, who starred in "Secretary" in 2002, made the comments last week at the Tribeca Film Festival while speaking about her new film, "The Great New Wonderful," which is about people living in the aftermath of the attacks in New York. Fan Web site www.maggie-gyllenhaal.net, which has no official links to the actress, said its server had been overloaded and crashed on Wednesday, a day after it was forced to take down a bulletin board due to the volume of critical messages being left on it. "It's gotten too outta hand," the webmaster of the site wrote after earlier appeals for people not to send hate mail.

Lobby

Lobby

Please enter your display name