Sign in to follow this  
Dade

Deadwood

FROM TV GUIDE: Ask Ausiello

Question: Ahhh... the idea of Deadwood scoop brings a tear to my eye

Seth Bullock's only known descendent by marriage died recently, on May 18th. Phyllis "Boots" Keller was the second wife of Ken Keller (Ken was the son of Florence and Chambers Keller. Florence was the oldest daugher of Seth Bullock). Boots was an artist, outspoken about her husband's ancestry and very Deadwoodian (I think she would like that description). She made sure that the book about Seth was placed in good hands (Deadwood) before her death.

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, AUSIELLO REPORT

It's Official: Deadwood Is Dead

Deadwood creator David Milch has penned a statement that pretty much confirms our worst fears: TV's best acted, written, directed, costumed and photographed show will end after its upcoming third season

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Deadwood Gets Four-Hour Finale

HBO has reached an agreement with Deadwood creator David Milch to wrap up the series, about to launch its third season, with a fourth and final salvo that will come in the form of a pair of two-hour TV-movies. "I am thrilled that we were able to figure out a way to continue," Milch tells Reuters, adding that the movie format, while departing from the show's day-per-episode storytelling style, "works creatively."

Posted by Matt Webb Mitovich 06/5/2006 10:29 AM

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

It's Not E.B. Being Deadwood's Farnum

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060609insider3.jpg

William Sanderson, Deadwood

On HBO's Deadwood, which premieres its third season this Sunday at 9 pm/ET, amid all the badasses and noblemen, weasely E.B. Farnum does his best to stay out of Swearengen's crosshairs while keeping watch over (and occasionally swindling folks at) the Grand Central hotel. William Sanderson, who plays Farnum, spoke with TVGuide.com about adding the daft Deadwooder to his r

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Deadwood

by Angel Cohn

June 11, 2006: Sin City

I've got a confession to make: Until about three weeks ago I'd never seen an entire episode of Deadwood. I'd watched bits and pieces in passing while my husband was glued to the television, but I never got hooked. I always admired the eloquent and Shakespearian dialogue chock-full of foul language, but had somehow convinced myself that a dirty-mouthed show about the West and hookers wasn't for me. I am happy to admit that I was wrong. Really wrong. Over the past several weeks I've been watching an episode or two each day at work and have become truly addicted. I'm amazed that a show that is so truly violent can make me laugh out loud with its sharp wit and shed tears along with its cleverly crafted characters. Those of you who've been Deadwood-aholic's since Day 1 are probably sitting at your computers ready to type "I told you so." But even though I was late to hop on the stagecoach to this mining town, I'm a happy new resident, and since I've "lived" this show for more than two weeks, that gives me some kind of right to share my opinion. According to Silas and Al's rules, at least, I'd be able to vote by now.

On to tonight's third-season premiere and the building war between Swearengen and George Hearst. These elections are going to be brutal, and I'm sure that not everyone will survive. "Should I perceive you then as dangerous to my interests?" Hearst asks Al. Um, yeah. I know Hearst is new in town, but everyone knows that Al looks out for Al first and foremost. Tolliver should be right in the thick of this political battle, but he's recuperating from stab wounds from the preacher man. (SPOILER ALERT: And judging by the trailers it looks like there is more preacher-Tolliver rivalry to come.) As current mayor, the nosy E.B. would usually be lurking near any meeting that he wasn't a part of. But his eavesdropping ways and blabbermouth convinced Bullock to beat him senseless. I'm not sure if I believe that E.B. didn't tell Hearst about Alma and Seth's prior relationship, but Bullock must be aware of E.B.'s previous indiscretions, so it makes total sense that he'd jump to conclusions.

Elsewhere in camp: Joanie was feeling suicidal and Jane was feeling lonely... and drunk. These two have such a codependent friendship, but it is kind of nice. Mrs. Bullock became a school teacher, and there are apparently a ton of kids in the camp. Who knew? Sol is running for mayor, and Al has an elaborate plan to keep it so Trixie can visit Sol without having relations in the hardware store or anywhere else that public. Thoughtful, yet it serves Al's purpose to keep an eye on the sheriff and the CEO of the bank. Loved Trixie storming back into the hardware store and ranting at Sol. The look on his face when he said he thought she went to the bathroom was priceless. Alma is having some pain along with her pregnancy, but the former opiate-addict is trying so hard to stay on the drug-free track.

The random stuff that I thought was great: Al introducing himself as Albert when calling on the Bullocks; Trixie referring to herself as "Grandma Groundhog"; Ellsworth making it known to Seth that he dislikes Hearst; and pretty much everything that came out of Jane's mouth. Most of isn't fit for repeating in this venue. But her explanation of what it was like being a scout for Custer was hysterical. I'm not sure that her version of the tale would teach and motivate schoolkids, but it was entertaining.

All in all, I think Deadwood picked up right where it left off, and that's a good thing, or a f----- good thing, if you want to stay in the spirit of the show. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season in the Wild West. Until next week, my advice to you all is to try to stay out of the pigpen.

Posted by Angel Cohn 06/12/2006 12:48 AM

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATERCOOLER

Deadwood

by Angel Cohn

June 18, 2006: Election Night

This episode was just packed full of good stuff, so I'm not going to blather on about how the writers of Deadwood are just geniuses; instead I'll get right to it.

Swearengen and Hearst's bitter rivalry has some showdowns, with Hearst sending a cryptic note to Al warning of the imminent arrival of a few paid goons. Thankfully, as Dan pointed out, Al is smart and was able to decipher the clue. Loved it when the second note came and Al sarcastically told the messenger, "Ask the fella who made them X's if he hires out portraits." But sarcasm and clever wordplay didn't work well on Hearst himself, who took a hammer to Al's hand when he refused to cooperate. Hearst glanced over the town with a sense of ownership from his newly built balcony. But after watching Al's stoic walk while in intense pain, I think that Hearst has no idea who he is up against. Swearengen may not be the richest man in the country, but I think he's got more than a few nonmonetary tricks up his sleeve.

Speaking of suffering, Tolliver finally arose from his deathbed, beautifully playing up his ailment when the reverend who stabbed him showed up in his bedroom asking for forgiveness. Did anyone else think he was about to shoot Leon? Altogether a pretty impressive performance, though the still-depressed Joanie isn't snowed by Tolliver's sudden turn to the Bible. "When you speak, I feel like it's the devil talking," she told him. Ah, and they say romance is dead.

Sheriff Bullock shared a potentially sexy moment with his wife after he insulted her for the tea she made. Martha then had to deal with the fact that her husband was chosen to be steward for Alma's child, Sophia, in case of death. I'm just waiting for the day that Martha snaps and just outright yells at him for having an affair. Oh, and the current sheriff had to give a speech about why he should keep the post, I don't think that he has much to worry about with that dopey half-drunk Harry as his opponent.

E.B., who is running for mayor against Sol, made an interesting speech filled with anti-Semitic remarks. This after he insisted that his speech was just going to slam the sheriff and have nothing to do with retaining his title as mayor. Yeah, right.

The best speech of the episode wasn't one that involved the elections though, it was Jane's talk to the town's schoolchildren. She regaled them with tales of her time with Custer, who she called Armstrong, and doled out advice like, "Listen, and you won't get scalped." Heck, she even took a bath... though I was more than a little surprised to see that much nudity from her. She was a slight bit more modest during her last soak in the tub.

And then there is Alma, who may survive the surgery to remove her unborn child. Trixie apparently has been through it seven times and was more than qualified to help her out. This might have been Alma's only chance for a baby as she's in a loveless marriage and she insulted her husband by handing control over her property to another man in the event of her death. That's if she pulled through

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE WATECOOLER

Deadwood

by Angel Cohn

June 25, 2006: Dinner/Theater

Tonight's Deadwood episode brought some new arrivals to town; Hearst's chef/caretaker Aunt Lou and theater promoter Jack Lanrishe played by the esteemed Brian Cox. Their skills are sure to add some vital new intrigue to the town, that is if they can avoid the coming battle.

Al was still suffering from his beating from last week so he was probably one of the few people that didn't go head-to-head with Hearst this week. Though he did make plans to meet with Hearst on Wu's behalf. Loved Al's reasoning for wanting to be involved in that meeting of the minds, "I must act as translator as I'm the only one in camp versed in both languages." I wouldn't exactly call him versed in Wu's native tongue, but he does manage to communicate with him. Hey, and besides his awful new suit Wu came back with a bigger vocabulary, and they are words I can actually print, "Ten Days." Oh, and the suit, since Wu is now trafficking prostitutes across country, is that an early style pimp outfit?

Anyway, back to Hearst. Bullock is on to him for murdering rabble rousers that work in any of Hearst gold mines. Bullock's move almost had the sheriff suffering alongside Swearengen. Hearst also basically laid claim to Tolliver as his lap dog and then Hearst nearly raped Alma when she went to him with her proposition of selling him 49 percent of her mine. She may have been terrified, but I was proud of her when she stood her ground and asked "What in my ideas do you find emasculating?" She's such a shrewd businesswoman, but unfortunately that carries over to her marriage. I realize that she doesn't love Ellsworth but when she told him that he couldn't protect her, that was just outright mean. Especially after last week when she denied him custody of Sofia. That's emasculating.

Is anyone else more than a little concerned about the Doc? He was coughing up blood when Trixie took off and then we never saw him again. I thought for sure Trixie would at least ask Jane for help with him.

While most of the episode was filled with depressing and intense turn of events, there was one part that had me absolutely in stitches: Swearengen's tour of the camp. His exchanges with Jack were absolutely spot on, too bad that they all were so filled with the F word, that I can't even attempt to repeat any of the quotes. I'm so thrilled that Brian Cox has arrived, not sure what kind of culture he'll be able to create among some of these dusty cretins, if any, but it should be entertaining to watch him try.

Posted by Angel Cohn 06/25/2006 11:38 PM