Sexuality on Big Brother

Guest Atreyu35

Guest Atreyu35

Hi all. This is an interesting question that I'd like everyone to approach with an open mind.

I am a homosexual male who plans to apply for Big Brother 7 (if there is one) because I am not yet 21. The problem is, I am not out. Several close friends know, but my family and the majority of the people that I know do not know. I want to be as honest as I can when applying for the show, but if I tell Big Brother that I am gay, will they make certain it comes out on the show?

I don't think I'll have a hard time keeping it to myself in the house, because I go through life with 90% of the people I encounter not knowing. Also, the ones who I have told were surprised, so I don't come off as gay when you see me.

So what would you guys recommend for me? I want to go on this show so badly and it has been my dream for a long time. If I do make it on the show, should I tell them that I am straight? Or just not specify? I don't want to be on the show as the straight guy or the gay guy, I want to be on the show as ME. Can a closeted gay go on a reality show like Big Brother and keep himself closeted?

I'd love to hear your responses to this!

Guest ranster627

I would say anything is possible ... BUT I think whenever a spotlight like reality TV shines on people, it seems like everything comes out, even the most personal and supposedly private things. Big Brother is a great example of this, where everyone seems to come out of the woodwork and spills the beans on the houseguests either anonymously or just for the attention.

My advice, with something so important, and I have been there, is to wait until you are ready for the worst possible scenario ... being outed on National TV. Perhaps it is something you may want to do when you are "fully" out?

Good luck with whatever you decide!

As Ranster said,

" My advice, with something so important, and I have been there, is to wait until you are ready for the worst possible scenario ... being outed on National TV. Perhaps it is something you may want to do when you are "fully" out? "

A lot of things can happen in a year's time.

But if you don't 'come out' .... and are able to make it onto the show .... be prepared for the news to leak out.

I guess all I'm saying is - - - I agree with Ranster :roll:

Guest cappy

My suggestion would be to tell them that you ar gay but you dont have to reveal it to the other houseguests if you get on. I think that previous houseguests had the option to tell them or they couldve just kept it under wraps. Will from BB5, if Im correct, told somebody that he really trusted. After a while, he ended up telling everybody.

If you dont want to go on the show as the straight or gay guy, I suggest that you dont come off gay and show interest in the women. Just focus on the game and living there, nothing more, nothing less.

Hope I helped...

But I have heard that gay men are encouraged to apply

There are two sides to this, in my opinion.

And I have to agree with ranster, that you should want to fully come out for this.

A: Tell Big Brother you are gay, but not before you reveal it to your family. I mean, they should know, they are your family. And like Cappy says, Gay men are encouraged to apply. They always want to fill every stereotype, and sometimes they do.

B: Let it rest, think about it after you do the show more about revealing you are gay, but still reveal it to your family. That way, if something happens on the show, your family knows and is not shocked. It seems like you care about your family and what they think, so they should probably know. And if you don't want your dirty laundry aired at all though, just don't even bring it up on the show, (and if you really want to) tell your family when you are done. But anything you do or confess on Big Brother will be aired. As one producer on the Real world once said "Pick your funnest three moments throughout the whole show. These probably won't air. Now pick your worst three. These will air" or something along those lines

Guest Atreyu35

" think that previous houseguests had the option to tell them or they couldve just kept it under wraps." - from Cappy

That would be my ideal choice. To be able to be open with the BB people about it, but tell them I'm not comfortable telling the houseguests and having it all over TV. I would, of course, tell my family before that. A good point was brought up about gay guys being encouraged to apply, but here's my problem with that - I don't want to be the gay guy. I want to make it on the show because of my personality and desire to play the game. Like someone else said, I think if I get in there I'll be able to focus on the game and won't have to worry too much about showing interest in the girls. Thanks for the kind and open-minded responses everyone! Keep them coming if you have anything else to say! :P

Ya. Also, I don't remember ONE gay guy whose ever been the stereotypical gay guy. I mean, Will and Marcellas? These are the only guys who this show has helped. So don't just be the gay guy. Be the creative, funny gay guy whose on the fastrack to winning a million smackaroonies!

I think if you want to apply go for it...you have nothing stopping you. Just remember that they are taping 24/7..so I'm sure someone would figure it out and that would be the angle they would take...is he gay or not????. Besides, do you want a bunch of people like us trying to figure it out or not (because you know we would discuss it on this board).

I think that if you want to apply, you should probably tell your family and the people closest to you first. The tell big brother that you are gay, but wouldn't be opposed to trying to keep it quiet, if that's an angle you want to play. It might give you a better shot of getting on. Just be prepared for it to come out.

I think you should go ahead and apply. If you go into that house focused on just winning and playing the game you will do just fine. But if you plan on going into that house and keeping your sexuality a secret i'd be careful. It's one thing to hide who you really are from your family who have never been exposed to homesexuality its another to hide it from a whole house that will be made up of primarly macho men (ie, jase and scott and drew from BB5) who will be flirting with the girls and wondering why you are not participting in at as well. Not only will the houseguests but the viewers like ourselves will be wondering the same thing. The producers love drama and they love a story and they will look for it wherever they can find it. Go into that house being yourself, no secrets no double life because you will not be able to focus completely on the game knowing you are not being true to yourself. Good Luck!

Atreyu35, I just want to commend you on your approach to this situation. I agree with TwinkleToes 100%. I think the game is hard enough in every aspect for you to add extra stress on yourself by constantly having to keep up a front. I know this scenario doesn't compare by nature, but think of Project DNA on BB5 with the twins. Can you imagine how difficult it had to be for Natalie and Adria to have to hide the fact that they were switching out for each other all the time? That's pressure to be someone you're not, in Adria's case and between the two of them, trying to be what the other one was when that person was not around all of the time.

Oh what tangled webs we weave, when once we practice to deceive.

Hope my two bits help. :D

Guest Atreyu35

Here's what I think I will do.

First of all, I am a long shot from making it on the show! I mean, thousands of people probably try out, I'm really getting the cart ahead of the horse here, already planning on how to deal with the fact that I am gay.

On my application I'll put that I am gay, because I really think that gay guys have a better chance than straight guys. I'll be honest with the producers and tell them that I want to keep it to myself that I am gay in the house. However, that might keep me from being cast. If they pick me because I'm gay, then they'll want me to be the gay guy of the house. As long as I don't tell anyone on the show that I am gay while in the house, it probably will never get out. (Unless the producers leak some rumors out or something.)

But one thing is for sure, I will have to tell my family before I go. If something were to come out while I was in there and I hadn't told them ahead of time they would be devastated. Aside from my family, I don't really care about anyone else finding out who doesn't know already. Still, I'm not ready to be openly gay on TV.