How do we complain to CBS?

I'm sick and tired of people using the free speech amendment to justify intolerable, racist comments.  You can spit it out in the privacy of your own home, we could give a damn.  But CBS has a responsibility, can they allow such hateful rhetoric to continue without any official condemnation or action taken against it.  Had this person called an African-American a n****r or called a German American a Nazi, CBS would have taken swift action.

Turning off the live feed is not going to do anything because the racism is still allowed to continue and the offender goes out without any scorn.  Other action should be taken against her, such as kicking her off. We are a diverse nation, and respect every people, Ivette should know that.

So are they going to throw Howie out for the carpetmuncher song too?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chyron1

Kaysarfan, I understand what you are saying even though many people apparently think it's a big joke. The *live* feeds cannot be censored anymore than the producers are doing right now with the fish. *That's* a form of censorship, but it appears that's ok, or perhaps some people don't recognize it as such, or simply don't mind it. I agree that people like Ivette should not have a platform to spew her racist venom, and I think the producers WILL adjust their questionnaire next year to catch *those* kind of people, much in the same way police and some other departments do. But until then, the other hgs will at some point rebel against her, and she will be put out. Then Julie Chen and Marcellus will have a crack at her.

Orionvierling,

I don't know what a carpet muncher is, but if he said it as a racist/discriminatory remark and with intent to seriously and maliciously offend someone, then CBS should take action against him. Did Ivette say those comments as a joke, and Kaysar laughed at it, and everything was over with? Or did she say it seriously and prejudicially behind his back. I think she called him a raghead and a sandn*gger behind his back and compared him to Osama the terrorist. If you're going to compare all this to a joke song then be my guest.

I don't know what a carpet muncher is, but if he said it as a racist/discriminatory remark and with intent to seriously and maliciously offend someone, then CBS should take action against him.  Did Ivette say those comments as a joke, and Kaysar laughed at it, and everything was over with? Or did she say it seriously and prejudicially behind his back. I think she called him a raghead and a sandn*gger behind his back and compared him to Osama the terrorist. If you're going to compare all this to a joke song then be my guest.

Just seems like bashing is bashing. Guess everyone does not agree with me. Guess it is ok for some people then? Okie doke.

I don't know what a carpet muncher is, but if he said it as a racist/discriminatory remark and with intent to seriously and maliciously offend someone, then CBS should take action against him.  Did Ivette say those comments as a joke, and Kaysar laughed at it, and everything was over with? Or did she say it seriously and prejudicially behind his back. I think she called him a raghead and a sandn*gger behind his back and compared him to Osama the terrorist. If you're going to compare all this to a joke song then be my guest.

Just seems like bashing is bashing. Guess everyone does not agree with me. Guess it is ok for some people then? Okie doke.

I didn't disagree with you, and I didn't say it was okay for some people to be racist or prejudice. I clearly said that if Howie had the intent to offend someone by maliciously attacking them for their race, sex, orientation, religion, color, etc. then action should be taken against him. If Ivette was laughing it up with Kaysar, then this whole thing wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunantely, it is so.

Chyron1,

You have a reasonable explaination, but I think CBS know what a hateful comment when they see one, so action should be taken now. But perhaps, public humilation is probably better. For example, in season 4, Julie Chen embarrased a HG for her hurtful remark on Asian immigrants, I think. That was nice move.

Guest sara-is-hot

The First Amendment exists precisely to protect the most offensive and controversial speech from government suppression. The best way to counter obnoxious speech is with more speech. Persuasion, not coercion, is the solution.

That includes the curse words, the racist words, the gay bashing, the midget talk, the bigoted talk, the ghetto talk, etc etc.

I'm offended by all of it but realize that is the price you pay in a free society.

Guest sara-is-hot

Where was the outarage when Mike and half the board was calling Eric a midget? Where was the outrage with all the homophobic jokes? Seems like this outrage is pretty selective.

People act like racism is only taking place in the BB house. OMG wake up - racism is everywhere. For some reason people think because they pay money to entertain themselves they should only pay for something that is agreeable to them.

Because racism is everywhere - what should you do: never leave your house ever again until racism ends or build a wall

around your house and barricade yourself in so as to not ever hear another racist comment. Impossible...life goes on and I wish I could turn off the racist on the train, at the workplace, in the diner as easy as YOU CAN TURN OFF YOUR LIVE FEEDS.

Watch the tv show - none of the offensive stuff ever hits the tv waves. Everyone has a right to vent about what they find offensive and disagree with. But if you want reality tv, about the only thing that is real in that house is the OPINIONS (racist, political and personal) of the people you want to watch living in their house for 3 mos.

Go Kaysar. You rock my world!

I read through all the posts on this thread and I felt I just had to say something. I don't think that Canadianprincess was trying to attack freedom of speech. The objective was to let CBS know that some fans think Ivette is going to far. If this is really such a social experiment and Ivette has the right to express these types of opinions, why is it not being aired for the public on tv?

I don't have a live feed and read throgh theses message boards to know what is REALLY going on. I have to admit I was shocked when I read all the things Ivette is saying. The "creative editting" has made her out to be a much nicer person then she obviously is in reality. Either they should remove her or air her comments for everyone to dissect.

As for freedom of speech, it is correct that this means that people have a right to thier opinions and have a right to express them. Even if those comments are racist, crude and downright classless (like Ivette.... opps there's my freedom of speech going!!!) BUT..... that said as a means of providing information CBS has a moral responsibility to point out that language of this nature is UNACCEPTABLE. Hiding it using fishes of the house, or just airing it on the internet and not T.v. is tantamount to them saying, "it is o.k. for her to express this on a national forum." They think it is important to ostracize a woman for flashing a nipple but not to publicly decry what Ivette is saying? That's just wrong in my opinion.

What Ivette is doing could be labelled a hate crime as well as slander. She is saying that Kayser could basically lead his "side" to do things like Osama did to his terroroist cells. She is trying to use someone's culture against them.

Once again just my opinion. Since it can obviously get heated here I'm just gonna run over in my little fox hole and hid out hoping to avoid any objects tossed at me.... Hee hee just kidding. lol

Guest chyron1

In a chatroom people can complain about whatever they want I would think, and if they want to share their opinions about racism in the BB house, they can and should. Now with that said, I don't think at least in the US, racism is and should be rewarded. Hgs are playing for big money. I don't think CBS or the producers of BB would want a racist getting the top prize. It would not be good for their image. I'll bet if someone came to a BB audition wearing combat boots, with a coat bearing the nazi emblem, and a short hairstyle, they would not pass the first audition. Why do you think that is?

In a chatroom people can complain about whatever they want I would think, and if they want to share their opinions about racism in the BB house, they can and should. Now with that said, I don't think at least in the US, racism is and should be rewarded. Hgs are playing for big money. I don't think CBS or the producers of BB would want a racist getting the top prize. It would not be good for their image. I'll bet if someone came to a BB audition wearing combat boots, with a coat bearing the nazi emblem, and a short hairstyle, they would not pass the first audition. Why do you think that is?

You are rewarding racism, if you are paying for something that is publicizing racism.

Why do I think the Nazi wouldn't make it on the show...because it's not

politically correct to like nazi skinheads these days. That is why.

Go Kaysar. You rock my world!

Guest Baby Boo

Sara-is-hot

You keep saying that this is a freedom of speech issue when it is NOT! If CBS were to kick her out of the house she would still be able to say all the racist comments she wants. Just because she is out of the house doesnt mean she will be killed or have her mouth sewn shut. The only difference would be that CBS wouldn't let her use their show as a sounding board for such hate. I find it amazing you keep using the freedom of speech argument but never say how it is affecting her freedom of speech. You've never actually responded to these issues before so I don't expect you to now, since it seems that you just want everyone to take your arguments as law.

Guest unleash
Sara-is-hot

You keep saying that this is a freedom of speech issue when it is NOT!  If CBS were to kick her out of the house she would still be able to say all the racist comments she wants.  Just because she is out of the house doesnt mean she will be killed or have her mouth sewn shut.  The only difference would be that CBS wouldn't let her use their show as a sounding board for such hate.  I find it amazing you keep using the freedom of speech argument but never say how it is affecting her freedom of speech.  You've never actually responded to these issues before so I don't expect you to now, since it seems that you just want everyone to take your arguments as law.

Well said.

Guest chyron1

If Ivette wins BB6, the TV show will be BOMBARDED with protests, and people WOULD say she was rewarded and she shouldn't have had the program as a sounding board for her racist rhetoric. I can just see the media coverage now.

And I wonder WHY it's not in *vogue* to like the skinheads? lol

Many rational people have a problem with racism and try NOT to give it a platform. That is why I think a skinhead would not be invited on the show.

Many people like, even LOVE the skinheads. Other skinheads...lol I think I even recognize a few sympathisers. But opinions vary.

Guest sara-is-hot

Are you kicking jannelle, howie, Kay and James off as well for making gay jokes and songs?

Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Guest Baby Boo

I think there is a difference in the frequency and severity of the comments.

but how does hipocrisy relate to the fact that it would be so anti-freedom of speech?

Guest chyron1

Seems to me a gay *joke* a song by people that may or may not be in the group they are *joking* about, is quite a bit different than making venomous racist comments behind one's back.

Guest sara-is-hot
I think there is a difference in the frequency and severity of the comments.

but how does hipocrisy relate to the fact that it would be so anti-freedom of speech?

Who decides this difference? You dont think many lesbians and gay people view all those comments as hate speech?

If you are going to kick Ivette off for her racism then you have to kick Kay, Howie, Janny, and James for all their anti gay comments and songs.

Wrong is wrong. If we are all politiclaly correct and for the censoring and evicting of the HG's lets not just go after the Latin Girl.

Hi everybody:

I may be wrong about this (but I don't think so - ha ha - nobody every really means it when they say that do they?). Anyway . . .

First Amendment does protect freedom of speech REALLY broadly - meaning it isn't even illegal to stick a burning cross in a black person's yard (can you believe that? The US Supreme Court said so). In fact ALL hate speech is protected under the 1st A unless there is something like an imminent threat of harm (ie the hate speech has to be said directly in the person's face - governments are allowed to make this kind of behavior a crime).

That being said, I think the First Amendment only applies to government agencies, like the FCC. Since CBS is a private corporation, they are not legally obligated to protect anyone's freedom of speech - ie they are not legally required to provide Ivette with a platform the way a city must if Ivette wants to hold a parade with placards expressing her views. I believe the only way the 1A applies to 'free' cable networks is indirectly through FCC regulation. This part I'm really not sure on, but I think the FCC largely tells CBS what they cannot show in order to protect children, not what the have to show in order to be fair, democratic, etc.

The thrust of this is that your complaints, both for and against letting Ivette speak in all her disgustingly intolerant hateful manner, probably matter a lot to a for-profit corporation like CBS because they only exist to appease their consumers. But cancelling the livefeed should be the most impactful way to make a statement against Ivette/censorship because it would be in $.

PS This might not be fair, but you could also tell CBS that you also intend to write to the sponsors of the tv portion of BB to let them know that a person who has expressed certain views may be profiting from their sponsorship (or conversely that a person was prevented from fully participating in BB under their sponsorship because of censorship) - I don't necessarily endorse this method of complaint, just pointing out it might be a tactic some of you might believe is appropriate.

PPS Hope I'm not breaking up the rhythm of this thread the way I did yesterday with the other thread - sorry about that (it's that darn ADHD) :(

PPS Chryon1 - please accept my apology for indirectly calling you arrogant yesterday - not my best moment

Guest PrincessSchroeder

Okay, I have been keeping up and NOT posting cuz its so heated here. But I will say, I dont agree with Ivettes remarks and comments. It is wrong to see Kayser in this light because he is from Iraq. I dont know how else to say it, ITS WRONG. However, I dont feel that writing to CBS will change anything.

I will also say, that remarks made from all parties have been wrong. I think that calling someone midget is wrong!!! I think that making fun of someones sexual preferences are wrong!!! I think calling someone a fag, carpetmuncher, lezzy, dike, butch, fairy, ect...are all wrong.

Wrong is wrong....doesnt matter how and when and where its said.

JMHO of course....

Guest sara-is-hot
Okay, I have been keeping up and NOT posting cuz its so heated here.  But I will say,  I dont agree with Ivettes remarks and comments.  It is wrong to see Kayser in this light because he is from Iraq.  I dont know how else to say it, ITS WRONG.  However, I dont feel that writing to CBS will change anything.

I will also say, that remarks made from all parties have been wrong.  I think that calling someone midget is wrong!!! I think that making fun of someones sexual preferences are wrong!!!  I think calling someone a fag, carpetmuncher, lezzy, dike, butch, fairy, ect...are all wrong.

Wrong is wrong....doesnt matter how and when and where its said.

JMHO of course....

Very well said. You are right. It is all wrong.

Guest Baby Boo

Sara-is-hot

I still don't see how your arguments relate to freedom of speech. I am not just picking on Ivette because she is a latina, as I myself am hispanic. I am "picking" on her because she has made repeated horrible comments, even after BB warned her. However I never said I think that CBS should not do something about the remarks the others made. You assumed that. I think they should have soe sort of warning until it gets to the point where it is excessive, which most people feel Ivettes comments are. Regardless I still don't see how this relates to your freedom of speech campaign, as you have brought it up in many threads. If you are so against censorship why don't you have a problem about them cutting to the fishes when she says such things? And how is her being kicked out of the house impeding on her right to freedom of speech? You have still not commented on any of these points, even though it appears you so strongly believe that it is a freedome of speech issue.

Guest chyron1

My *arrogance* can often be confused with my *passion*. And sometimes *other* people can only sympathize, maybe even empathize with a particular group, but can NEVER feel what they feel. I notice people keep trying to separate BB6, the TV show and the live feeds. I feel as though you can't, because the live feeds would not exist by themselves, you would have to have the TV show. That TV show IS regulated and governed by the FCC regardless of what some people want to think. The problem is, on the live feeds people are hearing the racism Ivette spews. They don't see that on the televised version, they see the sanitized Ivette, which is deceptive. Some people are concerned, and they have a right to be, that Ivette is not being portrayed as she actually *is* on a *reality* show. It is not *politically correct* to condone racism or even to suggest that you do. That is why you would not see a KKK member or a skinhead in full dress, on the televised version of BB6. CBS cannot, I repeat, cannot air much of what Ivette says because of the rating BB6 has with the FCC. But even if they could, I don't think they would. Ivette is not being portrayed as she really is. I, along with some others here, don't think that is very fair, while others seem to have no problem with that. I don't have a lot of patience or respect for those kinds of people.