Sign in to follow this  
Yana

Ron and Mike... Father and Son... MAY CONTAIN SHOW NIGHT SPOILERS

Ron: ron.png

Starting weight around 430 lbs. Weight Loss as of 1/27 60 pounds...

Father & Son Team

Bob's Team

Height: 6'0"

Hometown: South Lyon, MI

Ron has recently retired from the food distribution business that he was in for most of his career. He sits on the ZBA and city council and has been on the planning commission for his town. Ron has battled his weight his entire life, weighing over 200 pounds at just nine years old, and has yo-yo dieted to almost 500 pounds as an adult. Ron, like most people who are overweight, has tried everything to lose it. And like most, he lost a lot of weight only to gain it back, usually faster than he lost it. Currently at over 420 pounds and with both of his sons struggling with obesity, Ron realizes that his sons cannot follow in his path.

Ron and Mike are a father/son team who are extremely driven and competitive. They are outgoing and love to have fun, but always keep a competitive edge about them. They have the typical Italian dynamic; they compete and push each other relentlessly, but it all comes from love of one another. Ron admits he is a nutritional basketcase when it comes to food and realizes he's passed his bad eating habits to his son. Michael wants to pursue his dreams of becoming a doctor and wants to start the rest of his life as a healthy 18 year old. Both are motivated and determined to lose the weight and break the cycle together.

Mike: mike.png

Starting weight around 390 lbs. Weight Loss as of 1/27 49 pounds...

Father & Son Team

Bob's Team

Height: 5'11"

Hometown: South Lyon, MI

Mike loves sports and watches and plays as much as he can. Mike is currently getting ready to attend his first year of college with an ambition to become a surgeon. Mike's weight has been an issue since he was in grade school. He has been on Youth Weight Watchers, Atkins, Weight Watchers and many others, but has never been able to keep his weight under control. Mike has seen his father struggle with weight since he was a child and does not wish to follow in the same footsteps. He sees, firsthand, how uncontrolled weight can tax the body and cause many problems. Mike has acknowledged the facts that if he does not lose weight he will not be able to accomplish his dreams of becoming a doctor.

Ron and Mike are a father/son team who are extremely driven and competitive. They are outgoing and love to have fun, but always keep a competitive edge about them. They have the typical Italian dynamic; they compete and push each other relentlessly, but it all comes from love of one another. Ron admits he is a nutritional basketcase when it comes to food and realizes he's passed his bad eating habits to his son. Michael wants to pursue his dreams of becoming a doctor and wants to start the rest of his life as a healthy 18 year old. Both are motivated and determined to lose the weight and break the cycle together.

Wow, the dad weighed over 200 pounds at age 9? That is just sad for a kid.

Wow Ron needs to really get serious here. He has a lot of hard work.

Reading his bio, the kid has tried every diet there is. I think if he gets onto a strict weight training/ exercise program he will see better results.

did I hear right in the opening episode that the dad tried gastric bypass and still didn't lose??? Man, that's got to be discouraging. I hope this works for them.

I have a friend that had the exact same surgery, and she lost from a size 28 to a size 8, but has gained back up to a size 22 and is still gaining... Her doctor told her not to have the surgery, because if you follow the plan they tell you to follow (watch what you eat and exercise) then why even have the surgery in the first place...

Ron said he stomach is now the size of an egg. If you eat in excess with a small stomach it seems you would have horrible stomach distress.

I have a friend that had it 3 years ago and she lost 150 lbs. She is still a size 7 now.

I know two people that had the lap band surgeries at the same time (within a few weeks of each other). One followed a healthy diet, got active, etc. and did wonderful. Lost a ton of weight and has for the most part kept it off. The other continues to eat crappy food (just in smaller quantities or she'll puke) and didn't exercise or anything. She is still quite large.

Exactly Sugar... All my friends doctor (not her surgeon) told her just to eat right and get active and she'd have the same results, but she followed the plan for a couple of years, then went back to eating what she wants and is gaining back the weight...

But it with the stomache being the size of an egg, how can it hold so much, this guy hasnt said anythign about puking..

Well he probably only eats a little bit at a time - but how many times a day does he eat? And what kind of food? If he is eatting all the wrong foods, then he isn't going to lose the weight, even if his stomach is small.

The stomach will re-stretch and be right back the size it was if you continually over eat...

I would like to see more from this team besides crying to stay every week. I really want the kid to do well. The father has been down this road so many times with his weight losses and gastric bypass that I don't really see this working for him either.

Those flab layers on his stomach are just..... not enjoyable to look at.

I know what you mean, Marty. If Ron actually manages to lose weight at the ranch, he is going to be in dire need of some plastic to cut off the extra skin. I wonder if you can donate that? I'm not being silly, just wondering. I mean, they take skin from cadavers that have donated organs, so why couldn't they re-use skin from something like this, for like people who have been burned, etc.

I hope for Mike's sake (and the other two overweight brothers at home) that they are really able to make a serious lasting life change. Otherwise, he is going to have a hard road in life.

I wonder what it is that is holding this team back. Neither is putting up big numbers, so it's not just the dad. I noticed last night they don't focus much on them working out. I wonder if they both have something medical hindering them from working as much as the others.

I hope they don't go home soon, but they seem destined to if they keep falling below that line :(

Didn't Bob admit to having formed a bond with Ron? Maybe he's going easier on this team than the others. All I know for sure is they better start dropping big numbers because their luck is bound to run out. I was sure they'd be voted off instead of Dan. They were lucky Dave had such a lousy commitment. Then they got lucky this week going against the ultra-hated Joelle. Hope they pull it together this week. I like Mike and can see he really wants to stay.

Didn't Bob admit to having formed a bond with Ron? Maybe he's going easier on this team than the others. All I know for sure is they better start dropping big numbers because their luck is bound to run out. I was sure they'd be voted off instead of Dan. They were lucky Dave had such a lousy commitment. Then they got lucky this week going against the ultra-hated Joelle. Hope they pull it together this week. I like Mike and can see he really wants to stay.

I agree Jersey... I was shocked that they didn't go this week instead of Joelle and Carla...

I wonder if they will be the bottom 2 team AGAIN this week. :wacko: