Sign in to follow this  
morty

Is Anyone Watching Tv?

ABC's sophomore Wednesday lineup of "Pushing Daisies," "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money" -- all out of circulation since last December -- stumbled out of the gate in their collective return, with "Daisies" looking especially shaky, opening the night with a fourth-place finish.

CBS won Wednesday, meanwhile, with its 9-11 p.m. crime dramas "Criminal Minds" and "CSI: NY," and another crime series, Fox's "Bones," took the night's opening hour.

According to preliminary nationals from Nielsen, "Pushing Daisies" (2.0 rating/6 share in adults 18-49, 6.3 million viewers overall) opened its second season with less than half of its series premiere score of a year ago; it was also down 17% from its final four-week average late last fall.

Fox's "Bones" (3.1/9 in 18-49, 9.8 million viewers overall) was the clear winner in the hour, with NBC's "Knight Rider" (2.4/7 in 18-49, 7.6 million viewers overall) running second and down a tick from its modest week-earlier premiere. CBS comedies "The New Adventures of Old Christine" (2.0/6 in 18-49, 6.9 million viewers overall) and rookie "Gary Unmarried" (2.2/6 in 18-49, 7.0 million viewers overall) were both off slightly from their own modest bows of last week, while CW's "America's Next Top Model" (1.8/5 in 18-49, 4.0 million viewers overall) was again competitive in younger categories despite a week-to-week decline.

CBS surged to the lead at 9 o'clock with "Criminal Minds" (3.8/10 in 18-49, 14.5 million viewers overall), which won out over its original drama competition from ABC's "Private Practice" (3.2/8 in 18-49, 8.0 million viewers overall). The "Grey's Anatomy" spinoff, which opened well last September, was down 11% from its average for its final four original episodes. "Practice" was edged out by the season finale of NBC's "America's Got Talent" (3.3/8 in 18-49, 12.6 million viewers overall), while Fox's hour of "Til Death" ran a distant fourth (1.7/4 in 18-49, 4.3 million viewers overall).

Closing out the night was a strong performance from CBS drama "CSI: NY" (4.1/11 in 18-49, 14.7 million viewers overall), which was up a tick from its week-earlier premiere. It easily disposed of competing dramas "Dirty Sexy Money" on ABC (2.5/7 in 18-49, 7.1 million viewers overall) and "Lipstick Jungle" on NBC (1.9/5 in 18-49, 5.3 million viewers overall). Second-place "Dirty" was in line with its final-month average late last fall, while "Lipstick" lost about one-fifth of its soft second-season premiere audience of last week.

Preliminary 18-49 averages for the night: CBS, 3.3/9; ABC, 2.6/7; NBC, 2.5/7; Fox, 2.4/6; Univision, 1.6/4; CW, 1.4/4.

In total viewers: CBS, 12.0 million; NBC, 8.5 million; ABC, 7.2 million; Fox, 7.0 million; Univision, 4.1 million; CW, 2.9 million.

Source: Variety.com

The Nielsen ratings don't take into consideration the DVR and Tivos. I'm sure there are many people recording these shows and watching them at a more convenient time.

I also think you have to take into consideration there are so many more channels to choose from this day and age. When satellite and cable companies offer soooo many channels it's difficult for the networks to keep up. The Nielsen Ratings are becoming antiquated IMO. They may have been a good source 20 years ago but not today. :)

:animated_wave: Morty! Hope you're doing fine.

I for one am just getting bored with the shows. I think the Writer's strike this past year changed my viewing habits. I've found so many other things to occupy my free time now.

I watched Pushing Daisies last season, and enjoyed it, but after going so long without it, I found it difficult to get engaged with again. Maybe the quirkiness of the show that originally attracted me has just worn off.

I've gotten bored with most of the "procedurals"! I've been a fan of CSI since the first episode, but I've never been into CSI: Miami. I tried to like CSI: NY, but I just couldn't bring myself to invest the time or emotion to care! I find myself still hooked on the original however, and, I'm excited for the upcoming cast changes. I think Lawrence Fishburne is going to be a great addition!

I'm getting bored with Bones now after originally loving it! My list of "Must (or at least 'really want to') Sees" is dwindling. There just seems to be so little originality in the programming.

The worst for me is that I don't even know what would excite me about television anymore! I can complain about what I don't like, but can offer no solutions! :(

Sono - agreed - a gazillion stations - nothing new that's interesting - repeats - paid progamming. And I'm paying for that! Hand me a drink, :beer::faint:

Monday's ratings highlights:

8 pm/ET

Dancing with the Stars was the night's most-watched program, holding relatively steady week-to-week with 18.8 million total viewers. CBS' comedy combo of Big Bang (9.33 mil) and Mother (8.96 mil) continues to pack some punch, with the laffers gaining 615K and 150K, respectively.

Chuck, dipping 11 percent (to 5.89 million), was nearly terminated by Sarah Connor (5.6 mil), which enjoyed a gain of 280 thousand.

9 pm

Two and a Half Men placed a strong second behind DWTS (and bested the ABC juggernaut in demos), inching up to 13.94 million viewers. Lead-out Worst Week, however, dropped another 500K, to 8.79 mil

i'm still watching tv.....trying to pick up some new shows, but its hard. as soon as i get invested in them and fall in love with them, they get cancelled!

Women's Murder Club, New Amsterdam, Las Vegas..........they put the shows on to fill gaps and then yank them. its ridiculous!

oh, and i dvr EVERYTHING except for criminal minds and the original CSI.......i watch those 'live'

ABC had another tough outing with its Wednesday slate, with "Pushing Daisies," "Private Practice" and "Dirty Sexy Money" dipping from last week's lackluster preem numbers.

CBS remained sluggish in the 8-9 p.m. hour with "The New Adventures of Old Christine" and frosh laffer "Gary Unmarried." NBC's "Knight Rider" was also down from last week, as was CW's "America's Next Top Model." Fox's "Bones," on the other hand, picked up a little steam.

CBS' fortunes picked up considerably from 9-11p.m. with "Criminal Minds" and "CSI: NY," giving the Eye the nightly win in adults 18-49 (3.6 rating/10 share) and total viewers (13.1 million) by a comfortable margin, according to prelim Nielsens.

"Pushing Daisies" opened the night for ABC with 5.6 million viewers and 1.9/6 in 18-49. "Daisies" wasn't off all that much from the previous week (6.3 mil, 2.0/6), but at 9 p.m. "Private Practice" (7.3 mil, 2.4/6) dropped 22% in the demo from its preem. At 10 p.m., "Dirty Sexy Money" (5.9 mil, 2.0/6) was down 20% in the demo.

CBS' 10 p.m. anchor "CSI: NY" (15.9 mil, 4.3/12) was up by more than 1 million viewers and ranked as the night's most-watched show. Eye also saw gains for 9 p.m.'s "Criminal Minds" (15.9 mil, 4.2/11).

Peacock's "Knight Rider" (6.7 mil, 2.2/6) lost nearly 1 million viewers and slid 8% week-to-week in 18-49. NBC's "The Biggest Loser" (6.6 mil, 2.7/7) and "Lipstick Jungle" (4.8 mil, 1.9/5) couldn't get any traction against CBS' dramas.

Fox had a good start with "Bones" (10.3 mil, 3.3/10), which upticked 6% in 18-49 from last week, but fell off a cliff from 9-10 p.m. with a double dose of "Til Death" (4.8 mil, 1.6/4). Even so, "Bones" was strong enough to keep Fox No. 2 for the night in viewers (7.4 mil) and 18-49 (2.4/7).

CW's "Top Model" (3.9 mil, 1.7/5) eased a bit from last week's showing.

I've been watching Gary Unmarried.... very funny so far

I also watch Private Practice ( will be bummed if they cancel it) and well I CAN'T miss Criminal Minds... so glad to see the ratings going up on that one.....

I think Gary Unmarried is a very good show. No one comes off too stupid, the characters are likable and relatible, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to be catching on with the viewers.

I have been laughing so hard during Gary Unmarried... maybe it needs a stronger lead in??? New Adventures of Old Christine is ok... but it could do better with something stronger

CBS prevailed on the first true Thursday of the season behind "Survivor" and a strong premiere for "CSI," though the net's new "Eleventh Hour" didn't do much closing out the night. ABC, meanwhile, saw a solid bow for "Life on Mars," and NBC made some noise with its "Saturday Night Live" special and the premiere of "Kath & Kim."

According to preliminary nationals from Nielsen, CBS opened the night a winner with "Survivor" (4.3 rating/12 share in adults 18-49, 13.3 million viewers overall) and remained on top at 9 o'clock in most key categories with the season premiere of "CSI" (7.0/17 in 18-49, 23.0 million viewers overall), which was down from last year's opener but was easily the night's top program in 18-49, 25-54 and total viewers. At 10, though, new Jerry Bruckheimer series "Eleventh Hour" settled for a third-place 3.3/9 in 18-49 and 11.6 million viewers overall, retaining less than half of its "CSI" lead-in.

At ABC, "Ugly Betty" remained low at 8 (third-place 2.6/7 in 18-49, 8.5 million viewers overall), but the net moved up to second place at 9 with "Grey's Anatomy" (5.5/13 in 18-49, 14.5 million viewers overall), which was well below its usual level. The net's "Life on Mars" showed some spunk at 10 o'clock (3.8/10 in 18-49, 11.6 million viewers overall), challenging for or leading in many key categories and logging the best scores for the premiere of a new drama this season.

NBC had a solid night, starting with improved numbers in the 8 o'clock slot for "My Name Is Earl" (2.7/8 in 18-49, 7.1 million viewers overall) and a nice bow for "Kath & Kim" (3.2/9 in 18-49, 7.5 million viewers overall), which placed second in its 8:30 slot and built on "Earl" in all key categories. "The Office" remained potent at 9 (4.6/11 in 18-49, 9.0 million viewers overall), placing third in 18-49 but first in 18-34. The first of three primetime "Saturday Night Live" specials dealing primarily with the presidential campaign drew an impressive 5.0/12 in 18-49 and 10.6 million viewers overall, building on "Office" by 9% in 18-49 and by 18% in total viewers. The stronger lead-in helped "ER" (3.9/10 in 18-49, 9.3 million viewers overall), which won the 10 o'clock hour in 18-49 with its best result since last November.

Reliable numbers weren't available for Fox's coverage of the opening game of baseball's National League Championship Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and Los Angeles Dodgers. Fox averaged a 2.1 rating/5 share in adults 18-49 and 6.5 million viewers overall on its affiliates from 8 to 11 p.m., with the game expected to rise about half a point in the nationals.

CW's combo of "Smallville" (1.6/4 in 18-49, 4.1 million viewers overall) and "Supernatural" (1.4/3 in 18-49, 3.1 million viewers overall) held up well, rising a bit week to week in its target 18-34 demo despite increased competition.

Preliminary 18-49 averages for the night: CBS, 4.9/13; ABC, 4.0/10; NBC, 3.9/10; Fox, 1.9/5; Univision, 1.8/5; CW, 1.5/4.

In total viewers: CBS, 16.0 million; ABC, 11.5 million; NBC, 8.8 million; Fox, 6.2 million; Univision, 4.5 million; CW, 3.6 million.

October 27, 2008: This Sunday, as Fox's coverage of World Series Game 4 averaged more than 15 million total viewers....

8 pm/ET

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition surged 13 percent to claim second with 12.15 million viewers. The Amazing Race followed with 9.7 mil, while the CW's Valentine (846,000) trailed NBC's 40-Year-Old Virgin broadcast.

9 pm

The flashback-filled Housewives was the only program to best baseball in viewers as well as in the demos, delivering its second-largest audience of the season

I started watching "The Ex-List" and I liked it, but that got cancelled. Only way I could watch it was bc of DVR. Lipstick Jungle is cancelled now, right? I heard Snoop Dogg is back for another season of Father Hood, on E! Comes out around Thanksgiving, Nov. 30th, I think. I've really been addicted to reality shows lately. Think it's because there's never a plot and you can just pick it up and they're hilarious to watch, especially snoop!

Right when I read this post, I thought of exactly what moxie said. I completely agree! ...just way too many dang channels to choose from. We still don't know where our "most viewed" channels are (since we moved to our new house in Aug) because there are so many dang channels. ...and when we are watching, it's DVR stuff.