Tuesday, July 29th

Fatcat

I'm pretty sure I heard Michelle say that....she's an east coaster...it's not a common occurrance for us here. I know you west coasters just take it all in stride... It doesn't sound like it was a bad one though...but to a rookie like her...a big deal. I want to see her reaction to a few aftershocks now ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine being in an earthquake I'm on the East Coast. Living in an area that has earthquakes besides the earth shaking what happens if they are not that bad do you just feel the shake and then continue on what ever you are doing like if you just had a thunderstorm what's it like and how often does it happen in Ca?

Hey ShadyAlaska good move, I was from Philly and moved all the way to the great state of NJ (not great at all LOL) I'd much rather be in Arizona then here.

I grew up in the Valley Sylamr right on the fault line Parents house went thru the big one back in 71. Then I was at College in Northridge during the big one

in 94. My friends APt's were destroyed and few friends were trapped inside. Though the potential is devestating the small ones are actually kinda exciting. Hope no one was hurt in this one. I'm in FL now, so now I have Hurricanes, i'll take the earthquakes anyday!

Being from Georgia, I can tell you I would much rather go through a tornado than a hurricane... Been through a small hurricane, been through many, many tornado's ranging from F1's to F4's and the hurricane was much worse to me... I don't think I could handle a earthquake either... I think I would be asking them to let my family know I was ok too...

I moved to NJ but really wanted to go South but all I kept hearing about was the the Hurricanes and Tornado's and moving south was a bad idea. I can't see all areas from from VA to FL getting hit with hurricane's and tornado's there has to be areas that are not hit by these are nearly not as much. I wonder to if all of Ca gets hit with earthquakes or just certain areas.

I live on the San Andreas fault line. We have had some sorta biggies. In Palm Springs everything is built earthquake safe and mostly 1 story homes. The biggest I remember is a 6.9 (or 7.1 they disagree) here I think in 84. They keep talking about the "Big One".

My boyfriends father was in Chino Hills and said things were flying off the shelves. I guess he was in a store. Jack my b/f works downtown LA in a 12 story building. He said it shook him up pretty good.

That being said I would much rather live where there are earthquakes then hurricane or tornado areas.

LOL BBin, I understand what you are saying, but for us that were so far up north, they kept saying that it wouldn't remain a hurricane that far north, but it did, and I promise you it was the worst night of my life... I've been in a lot of tornado's in my time and I know what to do with them... Get in the lowest most closed off part of your house and put something soft over you, and most times you'll be fine, but I don't have a clue what to do during a hurricane, or earthquake... I lived in a town in northwest Georgia, less than 2 hours from Tennessee, and only 15, 20 minutes from the Alabama line... Less than an hour and a half north of Atlanta... Nobody ever thought the hurricane would remain one that far up...

I now live in Macon, Georgia, and it's in the middle of the state, and we don't get a lot of tornado's here... There have been two in the last two years, but that's not bad to me, where I used to live we would have them 4 or 5 times a year... We don't have to worry about hurricanes either, we are too far north, well, that is what we thought before too, but no hurricanes have ever hit here... Never been in an earthquake though... Worried about it the one time I did visit LA, but no problems... The traffic is what keeps me out of that place... That and the fact that I have to take an inhaler with me to breath due to the air quality...

This is what I mean... m_03ba86ee889e6e845227e32c6dd2e682.jpg This picture was taken on the airplane after we landed at LAX...

Oh BBin I have seen some special guest in your neck of the woods too...

2007_0310_212806AA.jpg

Nobody can explain what this is... There was no smoking allowed on the tour we went on, and there wasn't anyone on the streets, the picture was taken of the front of the old hospital that they buried people in the basement because there were so many durning the war, or something like that...

Yana....I live in Indiana. We have had some effects from hurricanes up this way...heavy winds and alot of rain, spawned a few tornadoes. Just a couple of months ago about 5:30 AM we had a 5.4 earthquake. The epicenter was in SE Illinois, I am over 200 miles NE of where the epicenter was but things were dancing right off my walls. I wasn't real sure what had happened because I live near an airport and Jets fly over all the time. Thought at first one was too low but the shaking went on for about 30 seconds. Moments before that my dogs started howling and acting all funny, guess I will pay better attention to them in the future when they act out of character. Indiana has the New Madrid fault running through it. We get little trimmers easily but usiually just feels like a tingle (if you feel it at all), this last one was major for Indiana and Illinois. Some building damage, toppled over some big trees and cracked drives but nothing that can't be fixed. It made our Government take notice that we are not structurally prepared for an EQ though.

I remember hearing about that one sibes... They say there is a fault running through Georgia too, but I don't know of there ever being one here... I need to go google it haha...

Yeah no s*it Elle... If I remember correctly, they had tunnels running underground that they had to use to bury the people... I could have the time frame wrong though... It might have been during the days the pirates made Savannah a frequent stop and brought with them the plague...

GingerSnaps I'm with you any of the 3 would make me scared.

Jersey, I remember when I was a kid back in brooklyn..it was in the 80's and I remember being in bed and feeling the room shake. It was an earthquake and though it was a very small one I remember saying to myself WTH, may have been the first one ever reported, though I do remember reading that Westchester County might have had an earthquake previously?

I've seen some tornadoes too...not like the ones in Kansas but ones that have ripped trees out from the sidewalk and spun cars on streets.

Really bad snow storms are dangerous too. Ambulances

can't get through to the hospitals and there are always those who must get to and from work.

I get mad at those drivers who cannot slow down during storms...everyone is always in a damn hurry. Ugggh!

Archived