Why Are Bb "fans (!?)" So Judgemental

Depeche221

This is a serious question, and I am hoping for some honest, open debate.

Big Brother is a show for and about Voyeurism. The definition of voyeurism, as defined by Websters (www.websters.com) is: 1: one obtaining sexual gratification from observing unsuspecting individuals who are partly undressed, naked, or engaged in sexual acts; broadly : one who habitually seeks sexual stimulation by visual means 2: a prying observer who is usually seeking the sordid or the scandalous

Now, the degree of interest in the sexual versus sordid and scandalous varies from person to person, but it seems that most folks here at Mortys bash anything sexual or sordid or scandalous that happens. That begs the question......Why do you watch?

It is blatantly advertised by CBS that you can pay your money and get the live feeds and see things they can't show on tv. Or you can tune into Sho2 and see even more explicit content, uncensored, that they can't show on network TV. A good many of us buy into both, but then people complain that the language and sexual stuff is offensive. And if nothing is happening, then it's boring.

HG's who have gone on the show and willingly exposed themselves to the world, are bashed and criticized for wanting to have sex, cursing, drinking, arguing while confined in a cage with nothing else to do and no choice in who they spend time with.

All the while, there are all of us fans sitting at home, all of our comforts around us. Some are drinking, some are smoking, some are cursing, some are going to bed after Sho2 and having sex, hell, some are just getting home from the bar after smoking, drinking and having sex with someone they just met.

But the HG's are doing all of this under the watchfull eyes of all us fans and they are still feeling normal human desires and impulses even though they are couped up in the house. In fact, many of those desires and impulses are probably heightened due to the fact that they are constantly told they are in a safe place, yet they have no escape.

So why are people so harsh about the personal desicions they make? Does their having sex with someone in the house affect you personally? Does the fact that they drink or smoke or curse affect you?

Why do we feel it is so easy to bash these folks when WE are the ones who put them where they are and many PAY to watch? Who are we to judge?

Really curious to what people think.

Dep

Honestly that's the fun of it...Its human nature to have your favorites and you not so favorites..and places like here allows a person to express those preferences...Some people take it more seriously than others..Personally I like watching people make fools of themselves for money...great entertainment!!!

I think our intensity is because of BBAD and 24/7 feeds, fans online learn a whole lot more about BB HGs than any other reality show I've ever seen. Since I have a touch of Reverse Agoraphobia (aka Claustraphobia) I didn't watch BB until season 8. Since then I love it. On every other reality show, especially survivor, you see only what TPTB wants you to see.

Familliarity breeds contempt or unbridled hero worship! While posting we get so into the topic we can find ourselves reverting to that evil 13 year old within ourselves. BB is also a great way to see others more miserable than ourselves and makes us forget ourselves.

It reminds me of going to an Alinon/AA/NA sort of meeting where you think your life is such a mess and then you see strangers with more messed up lives than your own and it helps us forget our own demons!!!!

A lab rat is a lab rat and they are to be studied, picked apart, and discussed.

Of course, I'm just adding to the conversation with the other analysts on here. But, did you ever think maybe WE are the experiment??? Hmmmm :animated_scratchchin: Just think about it: Under the constant eye of our moderators (love ya);

Our reactionary venom towards others who do not agree (all in the comfort of your home); The types of people we bond with on here (and there's a few), and let's not forget those we don't bond with, but still just HAVE to reply with (not to, that would be baiting); I could go on, but I have a hard time with long posts.

Just a thought......thank you....Liva

Very good question, Dep, I have wondered that myself. Even odder to me is bashing HG for their lifestyle outside the house. You know, something one read on one's bio? I guess some of you know I have tried out for BB and gotten pretty far and I gotta say, my biggest fear is right here at Morty's. The things people would say about me because it comes out I have a DUI or calling me a backstabber or worse, a bitch because i am pulling the wool over your favorite HG eyes. I dunno, I like to talk game and alliances. Big moves and bad decisions. Not so much hate on everyone.

I think you just can't have it both ways....

There were comments made that the viewers complain when the hgs out of hand and many like it when all is civil in the house and that makes for boring bb watching. This may be true, but it's the drama and over the top behaviors that most comment on and base their opinions on.

So, what I am saying is that yes there is much judging of character before the show from hg profiles, but the real bashing begins when the hgs start acting out in the house and their character flaws make them targets for judging.

Not everyone enjoys a hg making mean comments to other hgs and though it may prove to be entertaining for some, it just leaves them open for mean comments to be directed towards them.

The show will go on (until it no longer goes on) and no one personally asked hgs such as Libra, Jessie, Skreesha and Michelle to participate. They chose to be there and know they are under a watchful eye. So, I'm not buying into the thought that they are there for my entertainment because I watch the show. They are there to win a prize that comes with alot of consequences.

But if people stopped trying out because they are homeless or a stripper or afraid that their gossip in the house will affect their RL, we may not have any contestants. And wouldn't that be a shame? I agree when you say someone's disgusting behavior causes them to be bashed, but I would equate that more to ED's antics or Josh's last season, as opposed to those who are just playing BB and happen to beat one's favorite HG. How come those people get called all sorts of names just for playing the game?

It's easier to accept horrible behavior from an HG you feel a stronger connection with, I guess. Because they post the HGs bios weeks before the show begins, people/ posters already form their opinions and come Hell or high water, most people don't budge from their initial analysis. But as the game continues, HGs fall out of favor. It's is very hard to admit you were wrong about a houseguest.

I admit, I will make generalized assumptions based on people I know personally who seem like the HGs' bios.

I don't believe the any of the HGs were picked off the street at random. They either applied for another show or someone knows them. All of the HGs are doing it for money, whether it be the grand prize or future monies. All of the HGs were chosen for entertainment. If they weren't, CBS wouldn't be able to sell advertising spots and make money. Now whether or not that HG delivers the entertainment/ controversy is another question. Allison could cast a house full of Dicks, Wills, Howies and Jameses and come game time, have a house full of Angies and Erikas. 95% of the viewers would leave after the second week (similar to what happens during the final week).

Aww, these poor, POOR people have it SO bad! I mean, they get to compete for 500k (1 in 13 chance...nice odds) and don't need to work for a few months while getting paid for it.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Just because you are locked away in a house doesn't mean people need to become assholes and pigs. It's all personal choice. No one makes you do anything in that house.

It's human nature for people to have different likes and dislikes. No different than watching any other type of tv, sporting event or movie. We all have our take on things. BB is a game and it is what it is. Entertainment.

But if people stopped trying out because they are homeless or a stripper or afraid that their gossip in the house will affect their RL

Don't lose sleep over it...people will try out no matter what. Remember it's about winning money and not about showcasing yourself for attention. Ha ha ha..:rollseyes:

PS: People from this board claimed to have applied....they read these boards too, so they know what's going on.

If you act like a ass then you're talked about as an ass.

An example of what I was trying to say is take this board...people who are inclined to defend Libra have said some things about Angie.... because she has really not done anything to embarrass herself or has exhibited any horrific behaviors towards others, they're grasping at straws to say something about her.

You can't talk nasty about people if they haven't done anything nasty!!!!!!!!!

The same thing for Sheila last season...yeah, she got ragged on for her wrinkles and whining, but you really couldn't say anything nasty about her because while the others acted like asses and morons, she didn't.

JMO

exit thread

Oh geeeeez I think I would lose interest in Big Brother if it weren't for the message boards and the fun we have with these people. If I had nobody to talk to about the show I think I would watch one season for curiosity and be done with it.

For me it is all about the people on the message boards and the fun we have. I am as much interested in the posters as I am the HG.

And I know lots of people who don't watch the live fees, BBAD or read websites that have information about the live feeds ... they just watch the show when it comes on and they love it the way it is edited. For example, I know a lot of people who just watched the show who loved BB9.

While this might not be in keeping with the topic...

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like BB never has houseguests that are 'true' BB fans. Most of them seem clueless on what is broadcast on the feeds and only a few on previous seasons talked about the forums. Perhaps BB doesn't want to have HGs who really know what BB is like, knows that feedsters see so much and that there is constant discussion of them across the web?

And I agree with Marty. Most of the fun is here at Mortys. Its great to come on here and read what others are thinking. Even the posts that are totally opposite of your own view are fun to read. And as things heat up in the house, things heat up here. I think most people are here for the fun.

I agree with LenRay that the judgemental factor has more to do with us the viewers than it has to do with the houseguests.

I think posters comment in a judgemental fashion for the same reason the mean girls of the house bash their fellow hg. Its part of the bonding process for people with a common like or dislike of a house guest.

I see the way people judge and post as not so much about the BB house, but about the quasi-alliances people form as posters based on that common bond in an hg thread.

Personally, I used to watch soap operas but now watch reality tv (BB in particular) to see how people react in the situation. I like the constant changes in casts because everyone's style of play will be different. I also enjoy reading the boards for the drama that plays out between the posters in defense or offense of the cast members. I have to remind myself, its only a show about people I don't know and will never meet.

I agree. I watched BB from Season 2, but didn't join this board until season 5 and BB and Morty's are now one and the same for me.

Even when I didn't have the feeds, I based my judgement of the hgs on the CBS show and what I read/seen here.

I know that personally I wouldn't be making alot of comments about the hgs if I only watched the cbs show, because they edit alot of the stuff. So, most o my comments are from what I observe on BBAD and what is reported here.

And though I have my favorites, I call it as I see it and if one of my favorites is acting like a jerk...I will say so.

For me I watch because I love the competition aspect. It's like picking my favourite Horse to win a race or something along those lines.

There's also an element of routing for the underdog, or the person the rest of the house hates. I tend to like HGs that most don't like.

Then, there's a part of me that looks to "identify" with a specific HG. Maybe they've had similar issues... maybe they're playing like I would, idk. I like the observing and analyzing of them sort of like little lab rats.

Then, of course, there is that human nature aspect which I'm ashamed to admit I have submitted to also wherein I have judged, yelled, snickered, and shook my head in disgust at. I'll come on here and get to voice my opinons, saying all the things I'd probably like to say to people in real life about how slutty or ignorant they are. It's like each HG on the show represent a certain type of labelled group "the dumb jock", "the slut" whatever. Often I'll judge and dislike these people for their own ignorance...then somewhere along the line my eyes are opened and I'm caused to see my own.

This show is like a rollar coaster of drama and emotion. I learn things about myself and others. Sometimes I don't and just walk away feeling entertained like after watching a game of hockey where my team just scored a goal.

I definitely got into it more when I started watching BBAD.........the weekly shows are never as entertaining for me.

Personally, I think that there are some people I relate to and others that I don't but I've found that can change from week to week.............usually, I really enjoy watching those who are involved in the game.........my biggest pet peeve is having to FF through BBAD while the camera focuses on those who sit and contemplate whatever. They're getting paid to be there and entertain, why would I watch if it wasn't entertaining?

The HGs I usually like the best are the ones that stir things up............IMO, although we would like to think we'd be the same in the house as we are out of it, none of us knows how we would act/react if we were living in a fishbowl with strangers.

You bring up a really great point Ivgal about enjoying the HGs who stir things up. Part of the fun in watching is watching a situation that is completely abnormal. If you want ordinary or plain, most of the time we just have to watch our own households.

Archived