Are They Celebrities?

WickedOne

What makes a celebrity? Are these Reality TV people REALLY celebrities?

Personally, I don't think so. Perhaps in their own minds. And in the minds of admirers.

Few have really ever had more than their fifteen minutes of fame then faded away. We all catch ourselves snapping our fingers trying to recall their names. Perhaps they need their own title of sorts? Ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Perhaps they need their own title of sorts? Ideas?

Since most of them are just "Attention Whores", how about Whorelebrities?

OR, since they've fulfilled their destiny, and been used and abused for our ultimate amusement or horror, how about Crash Test Dummies?

Quickly now! Name a song that Billy Ray Cyrus is famous for! He was a "One Hit Wonder" with 'Achy Breaky Heart' of course! Billy ray would have just drifted off into obscurity if not for Walt Disney Productions coming up with Hannah Montana and casting his little Miley in the title role. Heck, he'd have never even made it onto DWTS if not for Miley! His only other claim to fame was his mullet for God's sake! So why not just call the reality "Stars" Billy Rays?

I kinda like this thread and think we've got some pretty smart people here at Morty's! Let's help Wickie come up with a new favorite snarky term for these wannabee's! ;)

I think a few of them can be considered celebrities but, the majority are just one show nobodies. And, then there's a group that's sorta in the middle, the wannabe's.

Examples: (imo)

Celebrity = Paris Hilton (Kills me that she is one but, at this point... nothing I (we) can do about it. :lol: ) or Donald Trump type.

Wannabe = Boogie, Dick, Coral, etc. Basically any reality person that has been on multiple seasons and/or doesn't let go of the season they were on where they were the "star" of it. Trying to prolong that 15 minutes.

Nobodies = Any reality personality that went onto obscurity. But, if we saw them we'd be like... he/she was on (insert reality show) but, I don't remember their name. (Or the other way around.)

I've always considered Celebrities as movie stars, having a television series or a singer with more than one hit.

These people that have come out of the wood work because of the popularity of Reality Shows is nothing but "15 minutes of famers". Sure theres a few that have 30 minutes of fame, but all are forgettable after a while. Most I wouldn't walk across the street to see.

I laugh my butt off when I watch BB and the HGs think the world loves them and they're gonna get agents. For me they're entertainment at the moment.....but there's gonna be plenty more coming along to replace them.

jmho :pixiedust:

I don't even call people who have been on reality television a star. They don't deserve that title IMO. In order to be a celebrity you have to be exposed in the mass media for a given period of time. Even though younger people may not have seen a movie by Paul Newman they've been exposed to his name either by his food products or filmography and know who he is.

All these people who have appeared on reality television only become popular by those who have watched those shows. There are many people who do not spend any time watching reality television and wouldn't know one of 'em if they passed them on the street.

IMO people become stars by constantly being in the news due to their public appearances, movie & television appearance, connection to music or having a really great publicist like Paris Hilton apparently seems to have (why, I have NO idea).

Being a star or celebrity should mean you have a body of work a large portion of the public recognize. That would not include anybody appearing on a reality show IMO. There are very few people who have been on a reality show that the public at large would know or recognize. About the only exceptions I've seen for this are people who have been exposed by American Idol and they are appearing on that show to further their career due to their talent.

I think the whole "Reality Show" concept has morphed into something much bigger.

Some shows have "launched and/or "relaunched" Celebrity Status -

Re-launched: Kathy Griffin, Ozzy Ozborne, Tyra Banks, Billy Ray (and several other DWTS contestants)

Launched: Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, The other Osbornes, Jeff Probst, Christian Siriano, Dr. Will (Dr. 90210)

Some people I have just become a fan or found really interesting during their Reality Shows.

Personal Favorites:

Yau-Man (Survivor) , Chris March (Project Runway), Kathy Griffin, Jackie Werner (Work Out), Monkey the Cat (Flipping Out), Dr. Will Big Brother, Evel Dick Big Brother, Dr. Fitzgerald -The Tap Dancing Vet (Animal Planet Emergency Vet).

One thing I have been wondering about is what happened to past Big Brother winners - Adam just disappeared in a cloud of (probably Angel) dust, Maggie, Jun, Lisa, etc. Just wondering how it changed their lives and for how long. Where are they now?

I don't really think so either. There are some I like, and I'm happy for them if they do well, and some who just go away, as they should, back to their normal lives. But the ones who keep finding some way to stay in front of the cameras -- any cameras-- for any reason, are the ones I really can't stand. Robandambuh, is one example. Although I never see or hear anything from them anymore, I think they do do something, feeding off their 'fame' as reality 'stars'. I'm not sure what it is, and maybe they have settled down to real life and are ready to have some little robandambabies. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Celebriwhores.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the definition ha obviously changed...u dont need to be an actory or singer anymore...just entertainment...you can just be a very scandolous person who knows someone famous or who has done somthing funny or outragous of youtube to be a celebrity...thats what our world has come to...hey but i like it! lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What makes a celebrity? Are these Reality TV people REALLY celebrities?

Personally, I don't think so. Perhaps in their own minds. And in the minds of admirers.

Few have really ever had more than their fifteen minutes of fame then faded away. We all catch ourselves snapping our fingers trying to recall their names. Perhaps they need their own title of sorts? Ideas?

You are absolutely right.. I am also not sure about the reality show heroes. They keep on fading from the memory. Some shows does not even keep the required standard. Viewers are taken for granted..

Archived