Sign in to follow this  
Sharonda99

Taylor

During the town council meeting when DK said he wanted to leave, they did

show Taylor crying, and upset that DK was wanting to go. The girl does have

some feelings and its not all about her. I do agree with you Echo that theres

editing involved. I do wish people would also consider her age. I don't like

her behavior, but theres other kids on the show that I don't like their behavior

either. And again I'll say it: Taylor is just being Taylor. This show isn't going to

change her, but the editing will.

I'll throw my two cents worth about my editing exsperience....several years

ago I and some friends got to be extras in a movie produced by Sean Penn.

We even got paid $50.00 for them to use one of our old cars in the film.

The movie was "Indian Runner". To make a long story short.....we all ended

up on the cutting room floor. BUT.....after seeing the movie.....I was so

thankful! The movie was a real DUD! Anyways....Sean Penn when was asked

why we weren't in the movie, he said that he had hours and hours of film. So

thats my great movie exsperience! One highlight....I got to meet Charles

Bronson!!!!! He was alittle feller! About 5'-6"!

Editing is one big factor on any show!

They are showing, what, three days on each show right? They only have about 44 minutes to show three days, so of course stuff will get edited out. They are only going to show the interesting stuff. I'm sure most of the day is boring as people just do their jobs and go about their business. Editing isn't magic. It's just putting the important things together to tell the story. In movies, that story is made ahead of time. In reality shows, the stories come out as the shooting goes along.

If you still believe Taylor is being edited bad, just look at how the other kids are reacting to her. You can't edit out the fact that most of the other kids can't stand her, and they would know since they put up with her 24/7.

How is her refusing to do work, yelling at people, telling the camera that she is doing things for her own selfish reasons bad editing? She said she was going to make fruit salad so she wouldn't have to do her job. She can't handle people telling her what to do. She says they aren't her bosses all the time to the camera.

Whether she changes by the end of the show, who knows? I hope so. I think that's the main reason people are going to keep watching. That, and to see what she does next.

Who knows, there may be tape of Taylor slaughtering a pig with her bare teeth

Funny you should mention that... I mean this as a segway into my next statement and not being mean or anything, but there are pictures of Taylor with the first deer she ever killed, it was pretty graphic, so I decided it wasn't something that should be posted here... Not that the fact that she hunts is a bad or a good thing... Just something interesting I guess...

If you still believe Taylor is being edited bad, just look at how the other kids are reacting to her.

Just to come to echo's defence (Though he doesn't need it)

He isn't saying Taylor is being edited badly. She is what she is. Through editing, they can make her look better or worse. Right now they are depicting her as a spoiled brat. BUT, echo believes in the end she will have a turnabout and the show will end happily for her. Parents will be able to show there kids how a bratty little girl learns to be good. Echo may very well be correct on this. The good thing is, we will get to see who's wrong and whos right when the show ends. Personally, I am up in the air. Echo makes a very good point, but I'm not as convinced. I think if Taylor has a major tantrum, she may just go home. The ending won't be happy, but it is reality and KN is reality TV.

Baron said:

However, you are set in your belief that the producers have chosen to portray Taylor in a certain way. You have no way of knowing you are correct. A few weeks ago, you didn't think they would actually show the killing of the chicken on air. Neither did I, but they did. So how can you be so sure Taylor does come out as a reformed kid? I am not saying you are wrong. You may very well be right, but you seem like you'd bet your family on it.

You're correct, I was surprised at that time that they killed the chicken, and I was wrong. In hindsight, it makes sense that they would do that. And your correct in that I could be wrong about how I perceive the show, I maybe be over estimating what I think the producers are attempting to accomplish\say (All kids are good despite being flawed). It is my perception that they intend to have a happy ending too all the little moral stories they tell, and that Taylor is the one Big story of the season. It would be very inconsistent to have happy endings every where else, and then have Taylor's story arc be down beat and depressing. CBS wouldn't air a kid's prime TV series that had a huge build up (over many weeks) to having a 10 year old being disgraced on national TV. It just won't happen, its not that kind of reality show. This show is about kids, for kids. It is not about kids, for adults. It is not Survivor or Big brother. These are kids, and the producers are not going to profile Taylor as a national example of a "bad" Kid at the end of her story. In my mind, no mature adult in charge of production, and surely not CBS would allow that to happen. Such a series wouldn't make it on prime time, or so I am assuming.

Maybe you are perceiving the show as being some kind of documentary where the producers filmed the events and simply showing us what happened. If that is how you perceive Kid Nation, then I can understand your point of view: what happens next is not based on what happened before, and unpredictable events are likely to happen. I see the show as careful selected set of stories\themes, edited together. They didn't script the show, but created a bunch of situations for the kids to deal with through role playing. After the 40 days, they looked at all that happened and picked out the best stories. Taylors story ended up being #1 because she dealt with the personal adversity and became a better person. What a great uplifting story to tell on National TV for millions of kids to watch.

As I stated in a previous post, if Taylor had a melt down and went home, they would down played role on the show (all done in post production). Even being on the council they could have shown her doing a few responsible things. Based on my experience with editing, nothing is impossible, so having her exit without too much controversy just isn't a serious problem to solve. Sometimes compromises have to be made on what footage works best, but you can make it work. Keep in mind, the audience does not know what is missing, they only know what is shown. So if any kid, by chance did have a melt down, they could have edited that kid out of show entirely. Speculating, maybe there were 45 kids at the start, but by for reasons unknown to us, 5 kids were removed for rule violations (say phyiscally harming another), and never appear in any of the episiodes even though they might have been there for 20+ days. I doubt that happened, but it wouldn't be a hard editing problem to solve.

Baron said:

Through editing, they can make her look better or worse. Right now they are depicting her as a spoiled brat. BUT, echo believes in the end she will have a turnabout and the show will end happily for her. Parents will be able to show there kids how a bratty little girl learns to be good. Echo may very well be correct on this. The good thing is, we will get to see who's wrong and whos right when the show ends.

Yes, they are showing her bad side, and later they will show her good side. My perception of Taylor is that she has no inhabbitions about showing her emotions with a camera in her face. If she is pissed off, she doesn't care if there is camera crew 5 feet away, she just pissed. Same is true when she is happy, sad, frustrated, etc.

Well, there are shots of all 40 kids together during the challenges. It would be hard to hide something like that. The average viewer may not notice a kid missing, but you got people who like to pick apart every aspect of a show for the fun of it. Look at the spoiler threads in the Survivor forum. It would be hard to get something like that past them.

I agree with you it would be crappy to show Taylor in this way without showing her learning the lesson. But there are just too many possibilities to pinpoint exactly what the producers have done.

We've gone over this for awhile now. I think we both understand where the other is coming from. No need to beat the dead horse. We'll know what happens to Taylor soon enough.

It's kind of hard to post about this show, or about these kids because they are, after all, just kids. It's much easier to rip into survivors, or Big Brother houseguests because they are adults who signed up for this, and should have known what they were getting themselves into.

Taylor lives up the the beauty queen stereotype. But who is her little blond sidekick? She bugs me a whole lot more than Taylor does. At least Taylor speaks her own mind. This other little girl just seems to follow along and mimic what Taylor does. Such is the age, I know. But if I were this little blond girl's parents, I would be hoping that if she needs to emulate someone, why not pick someone with a little better attitude?

Whether Taylor is being edited to show her as the worst possible brat, or if she's going to reform before the shows end is something that makes for a fun debate.

I think it was risky using kids for a show like this. But I bet most of these kids will come away from this experience having grown in some way they would not have been able to had they not done it. It's not something they are ever going to forget, and I bet they will all be glad they did it.

It's kind of hard to post about this show, or about these kids because they are, after all, just kids. It's much easier to rip into survivors, or Big Brother houseguests because they are adults who signed up for this, and should have known what they were getting themselves into.

Thank you Ivy for putting my feelings about the subject into such eloquent words... That is exactly how I feel too...

Well Joa, I gave it my best shot, and in this case it just wasn't good enough, and I am pretty good, so when I fail, then it is close to being hopeless. With adults I am puzzled how they can get so soured on life, which is sad for them, but I never throw in the towel on any kid. Adults with bad attitudes about children truly rub me wrong, and I don't like them. I guess that is pretty damn obvious by my continuous rehash and rehash of the rehash. I mean, how many times can I state the same damn thing over and over, surely it must be pissing quite a few people off. If it wasn't me, I'd be pissed. There is nothing worse than when an asshole like me comes in and intentionally spoils all the trashy fun. The only time I have done this before was several seasons back when Cowboy was on Big Brother, bb fans were just ruthless about him and his entire family including his girlfriend and her son. Got to draw the line when they start going after kids, just not cool where I come from. Just because a kid is an easy target, doesn't make it OK, and I feel no guilt spoiling the fun. There's plenty of fun over in Survivor forum and The Amazing Racing starts in a week. Won't find me there taking the air out of anyone's tires.

Anyway, I am right about Taylor, too bad you can't see that I'm right. I think might be the Darth Vader syndrome or something; so much hate and disgust, the truth can't be seen. Sometimes I am wrong, but not this time. Taylor will be this season's shining star for her willingness to do the dishes and get her hands dirty after swearing she never would. I am mean, think about it, why in the world would they be so insistent about drilling into our heads that she'll never ever do manual labor. Well, seems pretty damn obvious too me, but that's just me, and like you stated, nobody agrees with me. It doesn't bother me that I am right, I can live with it. I'll admit my intentional arrogance and condescending tone is pretty bad, but least I am using it for a good cause.

While I know you get high off the fact you think you're the one who figured out Taylor would change and turn around because you said it first .....................you only have the knack of stating the blatantly obvious. Another reason why people grab rocks, and I get so many PM's regarding this topic. I NEVER said she wouldn't change on the show or be hated in the end.

I'd say a lot more but I'm pretty sure everyone already sees what I do when reading your last comment, so instead I'll just address Yana's comment: I googled the picture of Taylor and the deer. They're aren't very many nice things said surrounding the pic or her on other forums as someone else noted.

There's no amount of nicey nice Taylor can portray in the last half of KN that will clean her slate. I hope in the future someone replays this show for her once in awhile and MAYBE it'll curb her Diva demeanor to a slight level of tolerance.

Taylor will be this season's shining star for her willingness to do the dishes and get her hands dirty after swearing she never would. I am mean, think about it, why in the world would they be so insistent about drilling into our heads that she'll never ever do manual labor.

Again, you are only assuming the producers have some kind of political correctness thing going on.

I'd say more like deductions based observing how they edit the show. Political correctness no. They're just being smart, creating a show that has several stories that all have positive outcomes about kids learning lessons and become better people. It would be fair to say they are showing a few kids who demonstrate bad behavior. In my delusional mind, it is totally absurd to believe that Taylor, or any kid, is so one dimensional.

I am not defending her behavior, just recognizing there is a point to it. All the focus on her not wanting to do manual labor? From my perspective, what's going on there is pretty obvious.

If I am wrong, boy am I going to look bad. :animated_bouncy:

I suppose I could back off it a little bit. I shall give it some thought. I just don't like the trashing of little kids because they have a huge target on their back, it truly bugs me, and I don't like giving anyone a pass on it.

I lived a few years in Arkansas as a young child. Most of my cousins

deer hunt. They were around 10 years old when they start hunting.

I refused to hunt and eat deer....and they thought I was the weird one.

Taylor is from the south and alot of kids hunt in the south. I don't think

its all that big of a deal. I don't like hunting myself.....but many in my

family do. Just sayin!

I'm from the south and I don't know any little girls that hunt... Little boys yes, but not girls...

Ditto, to the south and boys. I also went to an agriculture school and there weren't many girls in class unless they were judging poultry/animals.

I guess I have an unusual family! One of my female cousins gave birth

one evenning and the next mornning after being checked out of the hospital

went hunting and killed a deer! Several of my aunts hunt every deer season.

I have an aunt who is 82 and hunts every year. I guess its an Arkansas thing.

Any chance they also wear camoflauge year round?

I love this girl. ha! ha!

"I'm not doing nothing!"

I wouldn't do work for ungrateful children either.

Just to watch her squirm.. Zach, grab your shovel and

dig twice the latter. You too green, and you blue, how about red?

I'd like to see her do some work.. but to be forced.. no,

that's just not how its supposed to be done.

"GO HOME TAYOR!!!!" "NO!!"

DK is an angel sent from heaven btw .

TCSLUVSTV, I don't think it's just an Arkansas thing. I grew up in small towns in North East Texas and about 85-90% of the people I grew up with hunted. Lots of girls in my Ag class and in FFA. Raised pigs and cows better than I ever could and did the dehorning too, which made me just about pass out first time I ever saw it done. *shudder*

My mom has hunted and fished since she was little. She still does. Her and my paw live on a ranch and keep feeders about 100 yards off the front porch to each side of the house so they can watch the deer year round and shoot from the comfort of the porch from November to January. I don't mind, I get a freezer full of venison from it every year. A close family friend and fellow church member held the State championship title for women's division in both Bow and Rifle categories for years. Her husband was second place in the men's division. Their daughter killed her first deer at 6 years old.

Just saying. The hunting thing doesn't phase me, guess I'm just used to it.

The thing is Baron, I am not wrong. :)

Here is of ironic part about human nature, there are a few in this forum who, deep down, hope Taylor fails. They don't want to see her get her act together, and shall be disappointed at some level when she gets her hands dirty and does other things that redeem herself. I find it sad that a few adults are hoping she fails. And because I have very intentionally made such a huge hoopla about this, they want to see her fail so that I too am proven wrong, which makes it even more ironic. I mean, wanting to see a 10 year old fail so that some faceless nobody looks bad, now that's really warped. Maybe I am completely delusional living in a fantasy world, but a least I'm doing it in support that a 10 year old she gets her act together and becomes a better person as she gets older. I am not pointing my finger at you, you haven't given me that impression, and I sure hope that you don't feel that way deep down. What is very clear to me that there are some who do feel that way, and that is sad for them.

TCSLUVSTV, Thanks for posting comments in this thread and at TVFanForums.net. You are a good person, with a good heart. :notworthy:

Thanks Port...My hubby was born and raised in California, and his famliy live

out in the country and they hunt deer and other critters. My sister-in-law killed

a deer when she was 11 or 12. I thought maybe my family and in-laws had

the only female hunters. So it didn't bother me seeing Taylor with a deer.

Again, I personally don't care for hunting at all. I love to fish....I always throw

the fish back though.

Thanks Echo!

They say that other sites are bashing Taylor for killing a deer.....sorry folks

hunting is an American way of life.

Yes Wicked...My Arkansas family wears camo year round. They cut the legs

off in the summer for swimmin in the creek down in the holler. lol

Joa, I truly love reading your posts in this thread. They are good, but mine are better. I am of course biased, because I know I am right. I am just that good. This whole Taylor issue is not so much about Taylor and my very weird obsession with her, it is my objection to the overall negative attitude that is directed toward children who make for easy targets. Blame the parents, or their teachers, and hold the child responsible for his\her actions, but don't attack the child. There are obvious ways to make a mature point without attacking people. I think I am kind of good at it, maybe a bit too arrogant at times, but sometimes I use it is a tool to get a idea across to people who are more thick head than I am. And if someone is worse than me, then that is pretty bad.

Yeah, I know I am hated just as much as Taylor is, which does make for an interesting parallel in some strange calculated way don't you think? Sometimes when a person wants to make a point, it requires creative thinking of new ways to be effective. Everybody has there own style doing things, even you got to admit I am good. It's nothing personal, I am just right, and I am good. There nothing offensive in stating that Taylor is being promoted as the spoiled brat so they show her as a spoiled brat who becomes more self aware and a better person. It's a magic trick of sorts, she not really as bad as she appears to be, and most likely, not as good as she appears later. It appears to me that she has a personality that is very open about how she feels, and not afraid too tell people what she thinks. This quality works for her and against her, and it makes her an easy target. Adults should know better.