Big Brother 8 ... In the media

Jem

'Evel' wins 'BB8'

bb8finalewinner.jpg

by John Powell, Special to GlobalTV.com

Much to the chagrin of some and the delight of others, 'Evel' had prevailed on 'Big Brother'.

One of the most controversial HouseGuests to ever play the game, 'Evel' Dick Donato, was crowned the winner of 'Big Brother 8' on the season finale tonight and awarded the $500,000 grand prize.

Dick beat out his own estranged daughter Daniele by a vote of 5 to 2. The deciding vote came from Eric Stein, who as 'America's Player', voted for Dick as the viewers and fans wished him to.

"I'm taking a trip, man. I am getting the hell out of here," Dick told Julie Chen with his son and mother by his side.

To Daniele, who was reunited with her beau in the house - Nicholas Starcevic - on the finale, the conclusion of Team Donato's hard work, suited her fine.

"To be completely honest, I know nobody believes me but I am ecstatic. I am absolutely ecstatic. We won. It doesn't matter," she said to Julie Chen.

Although at times his tactics of obscenely insulting the other players crossed the line for some viewers, it seemed the majority of the HouseGuests agreed that Dick was the one taking all the bullets for Team Donato.

Jameka Cameron and Jennifer Johnson refused to give Dick the win because of the way he played the game though. Jen who raucously had it out with Dick on numerous occasions including one infamous incident in which Dick poured a glass of ice tea on her head when she verbally attacked his daughter, had no desire to vote for either of the Donatos.

"Honestly, I would prefer to vote for anyone else besides you two in the house but I have no choice so I will have to vote for one of you," said Jen as she resentfully placed her key in the voting box.

As predicted, the reveal of Eric Stein as

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Greater of Two Evils

In the ''Big Brother'' season finale, the jury chooses Dick over his coconspirator Daniele in an anticlimactic end to a good season

By Lynette Rice

evels.jpg

Given Daniele's infuriating personality, I kinda got a perverse pleasure in seeing her father win season 8 of Big Brother by a 5-2 vote

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Will Dick And Daniele Donato Go On The Amazing Race?

dick_daniele_julie.jpg

After Evel Dick Donato won half a million dollars on Big Brother 8, he told Julie Chen that he planned on taking a trip around the world. After Julie Chen said goodnight to viewers, the cameras kept rolling as she turned to Evel Dick and Daniele and asked

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Evel Dick Donato Wins Big Brother 8

evel_dick_wins.jpg

After a recap of the Big Brother 8 season, the first six jury members learned that Zach was the seventh member of the jury. Eric told Zach that if he had made the final two that it would have been a six to one vote in favor of him. The America

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INTERVIEWS & FEATURES

Big Brother's Evel Dick and Daughter Daniele Sound Off

by Nina H

'Big Brother,' 'Biggest Loser' are big winners

By Paul J. Gough

NEW YORK -- CBS and NBC split Tuesday's primetime with the finale of "Big Brother" and another strong performance by "The Biggest Loser," while ABC discovered Elvis Presley doesn't always bring ratings glitz.

"Big Brother" (8.5 million, 3.3 rating/8 share in adults 18-49) was a big sendoff for the summer reality series, according to preliminary data released Wednesday by Nielsen Media Research. Tuesday's telecast was the night's top show in viewership as well as the series' highest-rated telecast all season.

But matching it pound for pound was the two-hour episode of "The Biggest Loser" (7.9 million, 3.3/9), which beat "Big Brother" at 9 p.m. in viewership and the demo. "Biggest Loser" followed up on last week's strong premiere up 6% week-to-week and up 14% in the demo and 12% in viewers compared to last year.

"Biggest Loser" gave NBC a big win in adults 18-49.

CBS's "Power of 10" (7.8 million, 2.9/9) gave the network the win in viewership although "Biggest Loser" won in a walk in the demo. Further behind at 8 p.m. was ABC's "Just For Laughs" (7 million, 2.0/6).

ABC News' two-hour special "Elvis: Viva Las Vegas" (6.3 million, 1.8/5) didn't give ABC much to cheer about. Neither did Fox, settling for fourth place for the night with repeats of "House" (5.9 million, 2.0/6) and the new drama "K-Ville" (4.9 million, 1.6/4).

The CW's two-hour premiere of "Beauty and the Geek" (3.3 million, 1.7/5) didn't turn out pretty in viewership or adults 18-49 either.

Tuesday averages: ABC (6.6 million, 1.9/5); CBS (8 million, 2.4/7); NBC (7.3 million, 2.9/8); Fox (5.4 million, 1.8/5); and The CW (3.3 million, 1.7/5).

Donato Mess With Us!

By Josh Wolk

winners_l.jpg

Dick and Daniele, the father-daughter duo who claim to be the best ''Big Brother'' team ever, talk about Dick's victory, their strategy for making the final two, why they're not sorry about messing with Jen, and more

Thirty-six gallons of spit and 18,000 cigarettes after entering the house, bartender ''Evel'' Dick Donato took home Big Brother 8's $500,000 prize, with his estranged daughter Daniele nabbing second place ($50,000). We talked to the father/daughter team, and found out that no matter what the opinions of the seven jury members, still smarting from the verbal abuse tossed their way by Dick all summer, this duo is confident they have nothing to apologize for.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: When you first discovered each other in the house, how long until you decided that was a good thing?

DANIELE: Never. I'm being honest. It was definitely a disadvantage. A lot of people said, ''Oh, if I had my dad in the house I could have made it to the end too,'' which is a load of crap, because we had it the hardest. We were the biggest targets from day one.

How long until you started working together?

DICK: We started playing together within an hour of me walking down the stairs, if that. We went into the bathroom and aligned at that time to play together until the end. We knew we could trust each other, and neither one of us was gonna turn on the other. I was a finalist [to be on BB] in season 5, and Daniele was going to be my supposed secret partner in season 6, and we didn't get on the show either year. And so this year I said, Let's go back to our season 6 strategy, which is play together and go with the flow, see what happens, and make moves together.

When you were up for season 6, I assume you were talking to each other.

DANIELE: Yeah, that was over two years ago. [Laughs] We were actually friends.

Was it difficult to slip into a team plan now that you had so much personal tension?

DANIELE: In the bathroom, when we did decide to align, I told him, I don't know what's gonna happen with our personal life, but let's focus on the game. If you have my back, I'll have yours. Period, end of story. When we took the personal out of the game, it was game, and it was on.

Dick, was it your strategy to be ruthlessly confrontational, or is that just your personality?

DANIELE: Personality

Hope this is ok to post here. I just read it somewhere else on line.

The Slug: Chatting with the Donatos from "Big Brother 8"

http://asapblogs.typepad.com/theslug/2007/...ing-with-t.html

Chatting with the Donatos from "Big Brother 8"

The Slug didn't see that coming. We definitely thought the "Big Brother 8" jury would give the grand prize to Daniele Donato, not her estranged father "Evel" Dick. What was more interesting than Dick's win, of course, was the look on Jessica Hughbanks' face when it was revealed that Eric Stein had been instructed by America on how to play the game all summer long. After the jump, let's see what the Donatos have to say about their surprising win.

LISTEN: What did Dick really think bout the "America's Player" twist?

The Slug: Congratulations. How does it feel?

Daniele Donato: It feels really really good. We wanted Final Two and that's what we accomplished. Either way, it doesn't matter. We both won. It couldn't have turned out any better.

The Slug: How did your strategies change when you realized you were both in the house?

Dick Donato: We started working together. It was funny because, in the Final Four, both Jameka and Zach asked me when we started working together. I told them: "Remember when we went into the bathroom after the first hour of being in the house? Then." We both started working together immediately. We were both finalists in season six with the secret partner thing. I whispered to Daniele to go back to that kind of strategy and work together. We had something that no one in the house had, which was total and complete trust that we wouldn't turn on each other.

Daniele Donato: The other thing, too, was I remember in the bathroom the first night being there that I was very upset about him being there. I told him I don't know what's going to happen with this

The Farr Side: Domo arigato, Mr. Donato

By David T. Farr

Sturgis Journal

Published: Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:11 PM CDT

Kudos to Mr. Donato for becoming the first Dick to win "Big Brother."

Dick Donato captured five of the seven jury votes to win "Big Brother 8" and the $500,000 grand prize.

They say to "expect the unexpected" when it comes to this show," but I expected to see Dick and Daniele sitting together in the end.

The moment it was revealed that Dick and his estranged daughter, Daniele, were both in the house, I knew I was going to be hooked on this show all over again. "Big Brother" is my biggest summer guilty pleasure and it's twists like this that fuel my addiction.

Watching the two of them renew their relationship as father/daughter was cool, but also strategic. They're proof that blood really is thicker than water, even in game play.

Their involvement in the game was one of the first twists revealed to the houseguests. "BB" is known for throwing curveballs, just no one was ready for Dick's.

Dick's tirades became his game strategy whether in good taste or bad. Still, the question as to how much is too much remained.

America couldn't get enough of him They gave him the protection he needed by playing through Eric, America's player.

Dick would have been hung early on had it not been for Eric. America made it clear that they wanted to see more of him.

Daniele, on the other hand, survived by her own merits most of the time. She was a fierce competitor through the entire game, even tying Janelle's record for most "Power Of Veto" wins. Janelle is a "BB" all-star.

Whether Daniele admits it or not, she is more like her dad than she realizes. Both are headstrong, which might be the main reason their relationship was a bust.

I never really saw any of the other houseguests as winners. Jameka comes the closest, especially when you consider she could not compete in "Head Of Household" competitions for five weeks.

Some of the early contenders fizzled fast.

Kail was too bold too soon and Jen was so Jensational. There's not too much you can say about her that she didn't already cover in the house.

Amber became the girl who knows all there is to know about the crying game. Unfortunately, because of her, we all do now. Too bad the "BB" house wasn't located closer to the raging fires in Hollywood. The fire departments could have used her.

Jessica and Eric gave it a good shot and I respected their game, but the Donato's chose to strike first.

That leaves Zach. What can I say about Zach except for he made me think of an helium balloon floating about a ceiling, lost, and losing its grip until somebody opens the door. He didn't turn on until the end, but it proved too late for the geek squader.

"BB" might be over until next summer, but one thing's for certain. CBS will never find a bigger character for "Big Brother." He truly believes he is larger than life.

David T. Farr is a Journal correspondent. E-mail him at farrboy@hotmail.com.

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/articles/200...f4626454825.txt

Exclusive Interview: Dick and Daniele Donato, WInner and Runner-Up of 'Big Brother 8'

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/big-brothe...nd-d-11164.aspx

September 19, 2007

Dick and Daniele Donato will go down as one of the most infamous pairs to ever grace the world of reality TV. The Big Brother 8 champion (Dick) and runner-up (Daniele) made their share of enemies along the way with an aggressive style of play, but it all worked out in the end when the father/daughter duo found themselves alone in the Big Brother house, having vanquished 12 other houseguests. Earlier today, on their first day of freedom in months, we were lucky enough to speak with Dick and Daniele to discuss their season of Big Brother domination. The Donato haters of the world may not want to read much further, for the pair are as outspoken and brash here as they had been throughout the Big Brother season.

This is Oscar Dahl from BuddyTV, and I'm here with Dick and Daniele Donato, the winner and runner-up from Big Brother 8. Dick, Daniele, how you guys doing?

Dick: Excellent.

Daniele: Fantastic.

You guys pretty excited to be out of the house?

Daniele: I'm ecstatic.

First off, can you guys talk a little about the casting process. I know it's probably complicated to get both of you on without each other knowing. Dick, you were cast first I believe and then Daniele was brought in by producers...

Daniele: I was not brought in by producers.

Oh no?

Daniele: We both applied separately and we both made the show.

Dick: And they've been very adamant about not talking about the casting process.

Alright, next question.

Daniele: I was not recruited.

Dick: She was not recruited.

Daniele: I applied.

Dick: We met at the auditions and happened to run into each other at the audition.

So Dick, I know you've been a big Big Brother fan for a while and a live feed watcher I believe. Did your Big Brother fandom help you formulate a strategy going into the house and did that change at all when Dani showed up?

Dick: It did a bit. My basic strategy was, you have to bend and you have to change things at the drop of a hat. You have to be very flexible and be willing to work with people that you don't even really like. And that's what we did. Did my strategy change when I knew Daniele was in the house? Absolutely. I knew that, no matter how screwed up our relationship was, that there was someone in the house that I could trust no matter what. And she knew the same thing about me. So our disadvantage was actually our advantage as well.

Dick, I also want to talk about your late night, one-man shows, Dick at Night as people are calling it. Did you have fun doing that, and how important was it for you to entertain the live feed watchers?

Dick: I've bought the live feeds at least two times over the years if not more. And you're seeing the people pacing back and forth, not necessarily at night, but during the day, whenever they're alone, and you know that their brain is just a wheel that's spinning so hard and so fast and you're like

'Big Brother' finalists talk about the experience

By RICHARD CHANG

The Orange County Register

Dick Donato, who won the show's eighth season, and daughter Daniele both say they are happy with the outcome.

One day after coming in second to her father on the finale of CBS's "Big Brother 8," Daniele Donato was in a terrific mood.

The Huntington Beach waitress missed the $500,000 grand prize on the reality series, but came away with $50,000

http://www.bravotv.com/blog/andysblog/2007...mble.php?page=2

Tonight is my favorite episode yet of this season's "Top Chef". It is all about the food with two amazing challenges, great results, and the reveal of who goes on to the finale in Aspen. After the show, Padma and the eliminated chef will be live with me on "Watch What Happens" at Bravotv.com taking your questions.

I got back to NYC last night. When I landed, I spoke with Chef Colicchio who was watching a DVD of tonight's "Chef" and was very happy with the show and the challenges. It's just all about the cooking and food in great kitchens with fantastic judges. Everyone who wrote in disgusted with last season's Marcel vs. The World subplot will love it... Tom said he had a blast at the Emmys and was amazed by the amount of "TC" fans he encountered, including Julia Louis-Dreyfus. (I wonder if she watches "Flipping Out"!?)

My plane arrived an hour late and so I missed the curtain for a friend's play, which both took the wind outta my sails and gave me the opportunity to watch the finale of "Big Brother 8" live. The show was interesting for two reasons. First of all, each and every lady was SLATHERED in glitter. Layers of glitter upon glitter coated the chest plates of everyone from Julie Chen to America's Favorite Anti Semite, aka Amber.

Secondly, they left Chen's mic open at the end of the show so you could hear her conversation with Danielle. As credits rolled, Julie asked Dick and Danielle if they were thinking of going on "Amazing Race" (a genius idea unless it means an Emmy at "Runway"/"Chef" expense). They didn't seem to answer, but they seemed enthused. Then Danielle asked Chen if she was going to the wrap party and Chen said she had to split, but that the wrap party was Thursday night. Then they got into the minutia of when they would be seeing Julie over the next 48 hours. It was the best part of the show.

I got some good Amber scoop on the BB8 set last week: Amber doesn't know it yet but while in the house she was fired from her cocktail waitress job in Vegas because of her vocal hatred of Jews. (Actually by the time you read this she's probably in tears... then again she's always in tears...) I am glad that with the removal of Amber and conclusion of Celine Dion's three year run, Vegas has finally rid itself of the last traces of anti Semitism. (I am kidding about Celine, of course.)

After BB8 wrapped up, I thought about the hours of time I had wasted watching the show over the last few months. It made me melancholy, so I dipped into my DVR and grabbed the first show that came up - which was the 20th Anniversary episode of "Live with Regis and Kelly".

Featuring the triumphant return of Kathie Lee, the show hurled me further into my funk. First of all, it's hard to watch a daytime show at night. It feels different. Too bright and tinny. Secondly, I don't know what Kathie has done to herself but it freaked me out. She's got white blond hair and what I think is the result of an eye lift that has recently settled. Regis, meanwhile, has what looks to be some sort of maroon or red hair. (And Kelly is platinum classic blond.) Thirdly, there was no clip package about Kelly's years on the show, which seems like something one would want to see. I don't know. It was weird. And Cody Gifford turned out cute. And Cassidy wants to be an actress and is, according to Kathie, "quite serious" about it. Wow, I didn't see THAT coming.

Didn't see coming this morning's news that Brit gets to keep her kids, either. But Da Judge says she can't do drugs when they're around. Very very reasonable, I think.

The New York Times has eerie new photos of Nazi SS Guards at play during the Holocaust. It also reviews "Merv Griffin's Crosswords" and says the clues "run along the lines of 'what an average middle-aged American might be able to answer after a few beers and an Ambien'". Ma-ha!

I saw my Rabbi on the street this morning. That's gotta be good luck, right??

It was like Ed Hill didn't understand what Danielle was trying to say. Even I who would not make such a good Big Brother player can understand and follow her rationalizing and reasoning for putting up Jen and not putting up her father. I guess any true Big Brother fan would understand how the game actually works and I think someone needs to buy Ed Hill a set of Big Brother CD's.

That Ed Hill person was a butt head, he was just tryin to get a rise out of both of them, I thought ED turned it all back on him, right on!!

Archived