Theory On Juries

SCRebel

I notice that in shows such as Survivor and Big Brother when the final two is a man against a woman, the man seems to ALWAYS win. In the cases of Survivor and Big Brother combined we have..

Richard defeats Kelly- Survivor 1

Ethan defeats Kim J.- Survivor 3

Chris defeats Twila- Survivor 9

Tom defeats Katie- Survivor 10

Aras defeats Danielle- Survivor 12

Yul (and Ozzy) defeat Becky- Survivor 13

Earl defeats Cassandra (and Dreamz)- Survivor 14

Will defeats Nicole- Big Brother 2

Mike defeats Erika- Big Brother 7

Dick defeats Daniele- Big Brother 8

Then in the cases where a woman defeats a man..

Tina defeats Colby- Survivor 2

Jenna defeats Matthew- Survivor 6

Amber defeats Rob- Survivor 8

So of the 13 cases in which the finals came down to a man vs. woman, a man has won in 10/13 scenarios. This could be a mere coincidence or it could be related to jury perceptions due to gender role.

Often times in these cases it is judged that the man "played a good strong game" while the woman is often judged to have "rided coattails". The man is usually judged to have been the better player thus leading to many on the jury feeling he is much more worthy of winning. I propose that a lot of this has to do with the common societal belief that men are the stronger more aggressive peoples while women are weaker and dependent and this gets reflected in the feelings of jurors on these shows.

Interesting stuff.

this season the women dani did ride coat tails jmho

and year coby and rob lost were total bs

those season rob and coby did all the dirty work

i dont think so

zach , eric , jess are all dick no matter what

seem like amber was too

and people are more likely to respect a ruthless, sharp-tongued guy - put the same actions and words in a woman's mouth and chances are she'll be a b**** , not respected at all. i don't think that affected most of the outcomes you listed, but in this case, i seriously doubt people would have found dick's behaviour amusing if it were coming from a woman.

I agree crusty.... :animated_wave:

Females that took a leaders role got voted out pretty darn quick, and the ones that

worked their hindends off stayed around the longest.

I think it's easier for the women to "fly under the radar". But I do agree that usually the smart/ strong women (tips hat to Danielle) get voted out too quickly to have an impact in the game.

Blame it on their childhoods - especially if they grew up where women did the heavy lifting while the men got all the props.

The first dozen years of their young lives were dominated by women telling them what to do and the vote's their one chance to fight back. Jury members get to vicariously stick it to their bossy mommies, their under-educated daycare providers and their underpaid/overworked elementary school teachers who let their frustrations with their lot in life out by barking orders at their youthfully tender egos. Meanwhile, Daddy played catch with them, tickled them goodnight and was only cross with them if Mommy tattled. Likewise, that nice principal handing out stickers in the lunchroom only punished them if their teacher or that evil lunch lady sent them to his office.

:animated_rotfl::animated_rotfl::animated_rotfl::animated_rotfl:

Never thought of it that way...hmmm good point.

I just thought that a bunch of women couldn't get along and they turn on eachother faster. Female of the species is more deadly than the male, you know.

But, granny, lunch ladies are not evil and if I catch wind of you called precious Denise on Survivor "evil", I will report you. :devilish:

Women are women's worst enemy. Just look at how fast we are to talk about each other? Not that I believe a vote should be given just based on being of the same sex.

I think what's happening in t.v shows is that women play with the strategy of connecting, being good friends, I'm here for you etc and then if they get to the end the ones that lost take it as a betrayal somehow because that person is in the running for the big money and their not.

cattyness

:food-smiley-005:

I would be interesting to think about if Jameka had made it to the Final 2. Everyone said she would win because she had friends on the jury. Besides Dustin and Amber, I don't think she would have gotten that many votes.

Archived