Sign in to follow this  
nebartist

RENT

Are there any RENT fans here? I jsut saw a promo for the movie on the TV guide channel. I got chills

THey played "Seasons of Love" while showing clips. They have some of the original(Sp) Broadway cast

Like Mark, Roger, Tom Collins, and Taye Digg's character.

It opens November 11th I can't wait!!!

rent.jpg

Director

Chris Columbus

Writers

Play

Jonathan Larson

Screenplay

Steve Chbosky

Chris Columbus

Original Music

Jonathan Larson

Cast

(in credits order)

Rosario Dawson ........................ Mimi Marquez

Taye Diggs ................................. Benjamin 'Benny' Coffin III

Wilson Jermaine Heredia .......... Angel Schunard

Jesse L. Martin ........................... Thomas B. 'Tom' Collins

Idina Menzel ............................... Maureen Johnson

Adam Pascal ............................... Roger Davis

Anthony Rapp ............................. Mark Cohen

Tracie Thoms .............................. Joanne Jefferson

(rest of cast listed in alphabetical order)

Heather Barberie ....................... Pam

Jordi Caballero .......................... Tango

Darryl Chan ............................... Mugger

Ken Clark ................................... Mugger

Matthew Dickens ....................... Bohemian

Cory DuVal ................................. Riot Cop Commander

Sierra Doherty Gillin ................. Bohemian

David Fine .................................. Rangerover Bum

Mackenzie Firgens ..................... April

Richard Goldman ........................ Activist

Shani Haller ................................ Bartender

Gordon Hart ................................ Singing Tenant

Kenneth Hughes .......................... Bohemian

Diana Lee Inosanto ..................... Bohemian

Scot James .................................. Clubgoer

Kevin Jaskela .............................. Bar Punk

Jessica Leigh Johnson ................ Subway Punk

Steven Lindo ............................... Police Officer

Aaron Lohr .................................. Steve

Daniel London ............................. Paul

Corey Rosen ................................ Life Cafe Manager

Allen Theosky Rowe ................... Punk Rocker

Bianca Sams ............................... Ali

Jeffrey Sherrard ......................... Drug Dealer

Jennifer Siebel ............................ Alison Grey

Sarah Silverman ......................... Alexi Darling

Stewart Summers ....................... Businessman

James D. Weston II .................... Homeless Man/Pimp

Wayne Wilcox ............................. Gordon

Casey Dacanay ............................ Rioter (uncredited)

Larry Feurzeig ............................. Businessman at Cat Scratch Club (uncredited)

Terri J. Freedman ........................ Rioter, Reveller (uncredited)

Dustin Wilkinson .......................... Bohemian (uncredited)

logo-rent.gif

'Today' for 'Rent' . . . Tomorrow for Us

Rent_castposter300.jpg

I woke up to a pleasant surprise this morning. I turned on 'Today' this morning and there . . . before my eyes . . . was a line-up of the principals from the soon-to-be-released movie, 'Rent.' Consisting of six original cast members and two 'newbies', they broke out in . . . what else? . . . "Seasons of Love." They sounded great! Reminded me of old times.

As part of "Today's" Toyota Summer Concert Series, the cast of "Rent" was in full voice. The line-up from left to right included Anthony Rapp (Mark), Wilson Jermaine Heredia (Angel), Tracie Thoms (Joanne), Adam Pascal (Roger), Jesse L. Martin (Collins), Idina Menzel (Maureen), Taye Diggs (Benny) and Rosario Dawson (Mimi). They were slightly older but still looked and sounded like an old familiar friend.

Next up was the amazing duet, "What You Own" sung by the equally amazing duo of Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp. Not only did they sing the heck out of the tune but the interaction with the rest of the principals on the sideline was adorable. One of the most endearing moments was when the camera caught Idina snuggling up to hubby Taye during the song. Rosario and Tracie looked like back-up singers as they sang and danced to the beat of the song.

"Rent" opens in New York, Los Angeles and Toronto on November 11 and released nationwide in theatres everywhere on November 23. For more information about the movie, just click on 'Rent'.

okay it opens the 23rd now I CAN't WAIT. Though I will have to wait until the 6th when i got out of town. My backasswards town will probably not show it :(

Well, if you do miss the opening, here's a small taste of "Rent" for you to 'View' on Friday, November 25. Check your local listings for the time your ABC affiliate carries "The View."

theview.jpg

Friday, November 25

A full hour with the cast of "Rent," one of the most anticipated movie musicals of the season with featured appearances and musical performances by Rosario Dawson, Taye Diggs, Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Jesse L. Martin, Idina Menzel, Adam Pascal, Anthony Rapp and Tracie Thoms. Plus, one home viewer and studio audience member are awarded tickets to "The View's 2000th Show" in February, 2006.

squbluex.gifsquprplx.gifsqubluex.gif

(guests may be subject to last minute changes)

I thought they were on yesterday (Monday). I didn't get to see it, but my husband said they were (unless he just came in at the end of the show and saw today's preview -- which is entirely possible). LOL

They were on monday. I posted it late sunday nite..i had not slept so it was "tomorrow" for me (monday)

I've read a few reviews and they haven't been all that good but they have a built-in audience in me and many other Rentheads. I'm hoping that what some of the critics don't see in it will be just the thing I do see. I'll post a couple of their reviews soon.

I do know someone who has seen it already and they still preferred the stage version but said they enjoyed the movie as well. So, I'm not going to hold it to such a high standard as the intimacy that the staged presentation gives an audience. I'm going to try to separate my movie-going experience from my theatre-going one.

I've read a few reviews and they haven't been all that good but they have a built-in audience in me and many other Rentheads. I'm hoping that what some of the critics don't see in it will be just the thing I do see. I'll post a couple of their reviews soon.

I do know someone who has seen it already and they still preferred the stage version but said they enjoyed the movie as well. So, I'm not going to hold it to such a high standard as the intimacy that the staged presentation gives an audience. I'm going to try to separate my movie-going experience from my theatre-going one.

yeah h8ts the reviews have been mixed. some good some bad, A fewof the bad critiques i read they didn't like the story or the music, So if you are a fan of the stage show, it doesn't mean you will not like the movie.

Ebert does give it a thumbs up, but it is a marginal thumbs up.

I can't wait to see it. I just hope it is still in Lincoln 2 weeks from now :)

There are so many websites devoted to the love of 'Rent' but this one had a five minute interview with a few of the cast members. Unfortunately, there is a 30-second commercial in the beginning but I enjoyed the interviews. There is a discussion about the Rentheads from the cast's perspective.

Just follow the links below:

MSN_Movies: Rent

'Rent' Cast Interviews

Think I'll wait for the DVD to get in the stores.

Heard it'll be released in five hundred twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes ........

LOL :D

Slowpoke, why procrastinate? . . . There's no day but today! Slowpoke, have I told you lately how much I look forward to your posts? Thanks for the Thanksgiving chuckle. You rock!

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Rentheads.

I just saw it. My daughter and I both loved it. I had heard it received bad reviews, but I don't always agree with the critics - I'm glad I didn't listen to them in this case. The guy from Law and Order (can't remember his name) was wonderful - they all were - but he was just fantastic.

I just saw it. My daughter and I both loved it. I had heard it received bad reviews, but I don't always agree with the critics - I'm glad I didn't listen to them in this case. The guy from Law and Order (can't remember his name) was wonderful - they all were - but he was just fantastic.

spikes_luv . . . good to hear. The actor's name you're searching for is Jesse L. Martin who plays Tom Collins in "Rent." I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately, it received what is called 'mixed reviews' which usually means average scores from the critics. It has only received one positive review so far and two scathing defamatory critiques.

My main beef with the critics on this is what they are using as the basis of their criticism of the film. If I have to hear one more critic say the phrase, 'it's dated' or 'New York looks nothing like that today' or lastly, 'it has become more like a period piece.' Well, duh! But what the heck is wrong with that? I don't see them giving the same criticism of "Pride & Prejudice."

One of my favorite film adaptations from the stage was "Chicago." It received kudos and nomination after nomination for its effort. Well, I can assure you that Chicago doesn't look like that now either. And, I can't remember the last time I saw someone roll down their stockings or do a charleston. I could see if the critics said the singing was bad, the acting was awful or the cinematography was pitiful. These are points that deserve criticism but to say the film is 'dated' and criticize it for that seems pointless.

So, what New York doesn't have graffiti like that or who cares if that section of New York property would now be sold in the million dollar range to upper income society? Was "Boogie Nights" criticized for being a period piece now? No, I don't think so! It was applauded for capturing that time period accurately. So, by the same measure, why can't "Rent" be a reflection of what WAS the time when AIDS first came into public awareness and squatters did inhabit New York?

Rosario Dawson was a product of the very same environment so it DID exist once. She has stated in interview after interview that she was raised in a building taken over by squatters. Her parents were unconventional artistic types who happen to know their way around plumbing and construction. They fixed up a building and others soon moved in to squat as well. Sound familiar?

The only criticism I might give credence to is the ages of the actors. Okay, so they are a little past the demographic age of the film. I'm glad, for once, I get to see the people that brought it to the stage from the very beginning. I'm glad to see they didn't 'go Hollywood' and put in 'stars' to draw the box office numbers. I think this casting was brilliant! For everyone who didn't get to see the original cast, this is an early holiday present.

Casting has always been a sore spot between stage and film actors. Julie Andrews originated so many roles on Broadway but was not chosen to play the role for film. Although I ADORE Audrey Hepburn and she made a fabulous Eliza Doolittle, she couldn't sing. Yet, they put her in the role anyway and hired someone else to dub the singing in the final reels. Julie Andrews did both on the stage and won awards for it.

Wow! I haven't even seen the film yet and the review have been frustrating to me. It's just difficult for me to read a review that starts out with "I hated the music . . . I always did . . . " Why is this person reviewing it then? How can you be objective when you go into the film hating the stage play and the music as well?

The few people I know who have seen it have come away with mixed feelings about it but not on the same level as the critics. The consensus is it's hard to recreate the intimacy the audience feels in a three dimensional setting in a film version. However, it didn't stop one person I know from enjoying the film on its own merits. Most said the minute they started to compare the film to the stage, they would get swept away by the emotion of either or both renditions.

theview.jpg

Friday, November 25

A full hour with the cast of "Rent," one of the most anticipated movie musicals of the season with featured appearances and musical performances by Rosario Dawson, Taye Diggs, Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Jesse L. Martin, Idina Menzel, Adam Pascal, Anthony Rapp and Tracie Thoms. Plus, one home viewer and studio audience member are awarded tickets to "The View's 2000th Show" in February, 2006.

squbluex.gifsquprplx.gifsqubluex.gif

(guests may be subject to last minute changes)

Well, I'm confused. I turned on my television to see this today as listed and all I got was college football. Did anyone else get "The View" this morning or was this pre-empted for college football nationwide? Blech! I'm going to do some research and find out what happened. If this was a nationwide pre-emption, I'll try to find out if and when they will air the "Rent" hour on "The View."

Thanks, H8s. I can't understand the criticisms about it being "dated" or a "period piece" when it is supposed to be set in 1989. I often disagree with critics - and apparently I did in this movie as well. There were a few people who walked out within the first half hour - maybe they were expecting something different? I haven't seen the stage production, so I didn't have that to compare it to.

And, since you mentioned it - I loved Pride and Prejudice!

Edited by spikes_luv

I saw it. (The View) But luckily I have 3 different ABC stations here. 2 did not show it due to football stuff. One station showed it at 10 a.m.

spikes_luv . . . thanks for reading through my rant. It has really irritated me to no end to hear this one note criticism. I'm glad there are people like you who are willing to listen to their own voice and judge it as a film on its own merit.

I've seen the stage version more times than I care to admit. It's a long story but I was befriended by a few of the cast members of the Benny Touring Company of "Rent" back in the day. Yet, even the devotion I feel for the stage musical won't stop me from expanding my "Rent" experience to include the film version.

I don't expect the movie to have the intimacy that can only be created by live actors. I don't expect that of any theatre experience when adapted to the big screen. I expect the movie to expand the one area that a stage play can never achieve . . . location, location, location.

So, spikes_luv, we're in total agreement about the 'dated' comments. Why can't 1989 look like 1989? Why do they keep using the time reference as a criticism? *pulling my hair out*

Speaking of "Pride & Prejudice," it does look like they did justice to the many film adaptations that came before this one. I still remember the version with Greer Garson as the lead so I have a soft spot for this and all thing Jane Austen.

nebartist . . . I'm glad someone got to see it. I can't even reach my local affiliate because they've shut down for the holiday. I guess that means I'm S.O.L. neb, give up some details! Please? I'm just upset that the ONE time I want to see 'The View' is the one time it gets pre-empted with college football.

They started out by singing Seasons of Love. Sounded good. THen had two segments of Interviews. They talked a lot about how Rent started out. They talked about Larson's death, and about on the night of his death they invited all his family and friends for a sing through of the musical. They sat around a table and sang the show. But they got up on the table during La Ve Bohem. There was some other stuff but I will have to watch it again

They closed the show by singing No Day But Today

Thanks Neb! I'm still upset about the one episode of "The View" that I WANTED to watch gets pre-empted by football!!!!! Oh, well, life happens. If I'm meant to see it, it'll happen. I'm sure college football fans would have been equally upset if they turned on to see the game and saw the ladies of "The View" instead.

I guess the cosmos is making it up to me this morning. I woke up and started channel surfing. I came across A&E's "Breakfast with the Arts." And, I know you know where I'm going with this . . . I woke up to Adam Pascal singing "Glory." Yum! You don't always get that song performed on a talk show format.

Then, they moved on to an interview with Wilson Jermaine Heredia, Anthony Rapp, Tracie Thoms and Adam Pascal discussing all things "Rent." Back after the commercial, Anthony Rapp and Tracie Thoms performed the duet, "Tango Maureen." I've seen Neil Patrick Harris perform this so many times that it's nice to see the original. I liked Tracie Thoms' rendition of Joanne.

They are now talking about the Rentheads and the journals the cast kept online. Anthony Rapp said he and other cast members wrote blogs and answered many questions posed to them by Rentheads. He briefly touched on the pros and cons of having a built-in audience especially involving changes made to the film from the stage version. Anthony also chatted about a book he wrote on his "Rent" experience and the journey it took him on.

Next, Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp treated us to one of my favorite songs, "What You Own." The two actors I saw the most in the roles of Mark and Roger were Neil Patrick Harris and Christian Mena. Believe it or not, the Benny Cast really did do a great job but there is nothing like seeing the original actors reprise their award-winning characterizations.

I had no advance warning so I apologize for not alerting fellow Rentheads. The talk show also featured Bonnie Raitt and Keith Urban in selected performances. There also was an interview with director Mike Newell and producer David Heyman discussing behind-the-scenes on the set of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire."

I guess I'll have to pay more attention to this program in the future. Although I must say that the interviewer wasn't exactly at the top of her game. However, the content was worth the watch.

H8s, I should stop talking about this in the Rent thread probably, but did you know the writer of Bridget Jones's Diary based her characters on Wickham, Mr Darcy and Elizabeth? While I watched the movie I could really see the comparisons. Just an interesting note.

Also, after I saw Rent, I went on the movie's website. They have all the songs (mostly abbreviated versions) on the website for you to play. Kind of cool.

I read this was #5 at the box office. Of course I wanted it to be higher. But still not bad for a movie of it's content, in a weekend where families go to the threatre. Not sure why they released it when they did.

sblogo.jpg

'Rentheads' Vow to Return

today_4_U.jpg

Wilson Jermaine Heredia as Angel Dumott Schunard

singing 'Today 4 U' in 'Rent'

The strong box-office performance of "Rent" on Wednesday was being attributed to a large turnout of 'Rentheads,' inveterate fans of the musical who lined up at theaters to see it hours before it opened the way younger fans of "Harry Potter" did to see "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" a week earlier. Nearly all of those lined up in front of a theater in Chicago told the Chicago Sun-Times that they planned to see the movie more than once this weekend.

Estimated Box Office Figures

11. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" ~ $54.9 million

12. "Walk the Line" ~ $19.7 million

13. "Yours, Mine & Ours" ~ $17.5 million

14. "Chicken Little" ~ $12.4 million

15. "Rent" ~ $10.7 million

16. "Just Friends" ~ $9.3 million

17. "Pride & Prejudice" ~ $7 million

18. "Derailed" ~ $4.7 million

19. "In the Mix" ~ $4.5 million

10. "The Ice Harvest" ~ $3.7 million

Sign in to follow this