If Viewers Had Chosen The Winner...

Brekkie Boy

I think it's widely agreed that ditching the public vote to determine the evictee each week has benefited Big Brother in the US, generally resulting in some of the more controversial game players sticking around a bit longer, and hence a better show in the long run.

However, if when it got to the final two it was the viewers, not a jury of evictees, that decided the winner, do you think the outcome in the last six years would have been any different?

And if the decision was made to let the viewers decide the winner of the series, do you think it would have a positive or negative effect on the show?

Personally (as a non-American) I think it would be good for the show if ultimately the viewers made the final decision. The houseguests would then at the end of the series be accountable to the fans, and though that might affect their behaviour towards the end of the series, I don't think it would inhibit the game play for the majority of the season.

So is it a change you'd like to see?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Absolutely. I think that could really work; if the Houseguests know that the public will be voting, they'll have to think more carefully about what they say out loud, and how they say it. It will start being less important for them to trick and fool their opponents, and more important to impress the watching fans.

Could make it really interesting...

come on let viewer choose the winner you got to be kidding me.

we all know the point :animated_wave: of this thread and its not a good one to the folks who dont like handout and rewarding fan favorites

I don't think it would be right. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have my fav players win at the end, BUT that's not the point of the game. It's about who can get themselves to the end and that usually means doing some pretty unlikeable things. It wouldn't be right to have us deciding when we all have clear bias.

I sort of like the idea. During the bulk of the show they would have to scheme and lie to their fellow housemates because THEY would be the ones voting them out (like it is now) but when it gets down to the final 2 that is when the viewers decide. But then again we would be in a situation with like with Danielle in season 3. Everyone saw the diary rooms and she lost to Lisa because of it. The viewers would be no better in that regard.

Sure we would have to choose the lesser of 2 evils in some cases but tell me this. In season 6 when it got down to Maggie and Ivette would you have chosen any different? I don't think I would have.

But for example if it had of been Janelle in the final with Maggie there would have been no anticipation or wonder about who would win. Janelle had won all the America's Choice questions before then. What makes this any different? She would have won no questions asked. Simply because not as many people liked Maggie.

Lynn, of course we all have biases, but when enough people are voting, that balances out. Having the public decide has been a winning move for American Idol. I think it would work really well with BB---and I bet it would really boost the ratings too.

I think it's a great idea.

Well, think I'll have to disagree on the public voting for the final 2....

unless they can think of a better way for the public to vote. Being able to vote multiple times has always rubbed me the wrong way.

LOL... maybe they could talk the government into letting BB use the voting machines (hmmm.... even that isn't a sure thing - come to think of it :lookaround:)

Having the public decide has been a winning move for American Idol.

My personal opinion is that it ruins American Idol, but I digress...

I object to having the public vote because it leads to a boring season of people trying to be nice, ala Season one. While it is intriquing to have it at the end, you would still see a 'fave' win with no regard to gameplay. By allowing the HGs to vote, it becomes walking the tightrope between turning people against each other...while keeping yourself respected at the same time. It makes thinks very interesting.

As much as I enjoyed Season Six, the way the house split was an aberation. I'm not sure if a perfect storm of clueless people willing to follow an alpha male a$$ (the fiendsheep), one strong person in the group knowing her 'teammates' were morons and throwing them under the bus one at a time (Maggot), and an obnoxious, bullying jerk to polarize everything (Crappy) could occur again. What needs to change is not the basic format, but the difficulty of the tasks, and the removal of so many luxuries. Make the HGs lives miserable, I say.

When I say that public voting has been a winning move for Idol, I mean in terms of fan popularity, ratings, etc--certainly a winning move for the happy (and rich) producers...

But I quite agree that it doesn't work, in the sense that it's often NOT the best that win, and often not even the ones that the fans like most (witness Chris D from last year)--I think it would work, however, if it could be set up so that it's not possible for voters to vote multiple times (maybe have an arbitrary limit??)

Same for BB.

Thanks for the views.

I think if they did introduce it for the first season as least they shouldn't reveal it till midway through the series so viewers can see if HGs change their behaviour.

I also like to think the fans are knowledgeable enough now to reward strategy and not just go for Mr Nice Guy - so perhaps the likes of Will and Alison could win it on the back of their gameplay.

And at the very least, I'd expect the public to be aware of who is putting on the nice guy act for the cameras!

As for the issue of bias - it's a different kind of bias but the viewers at home won't be any more biased than the members of the jury, who all have some kind of alliance to the finalists.

For what it's worth - my personal view is it's split right down the middle in who the jury chose to win in the last six seasons. I think Will, Drew and Boogie were the right choices over their fellow finalists.

IMO Alison should have won over Jun, and though it's a case of the lesser of two evils, I'd have preferred Ivette to win over Maggie. Don't know enough about season 3 really to make a vaild point - all I do know is I've heard alot more about Danielle than Lisa in the years since, so I'd guess she probably should have won BB3.

Actually, I think if they did it, it shouldn't be revealed AT ALL to the HG's, till the very end when they're expecting a jury--that is, for the first year.

And I agree, I definitely don't think the public will vote for the "nice guy". They will vote for who played the best game, had the best strategy, won the most contests, etc. AND managed with all that not to be total slime (as with Boogie).

Fans enjoy all the plotting and conniving--they will not vote for the nice predictable person, if that's all that person has going for them.

People always compare the viewers voting to season 1. I would just like to point out that in season 1 everything was new. We didn't know anymore then the houseguests did at that point. I think we've learned from our experience and should at least be given another chance. If it doesn't work fine return to the internal version. But they should allow us the chance to redeem ourselves from the disaster that was season 1.

There should still have an HOH and they put up the 2 nominees but allow America to vote the evictee. Either for the whole season or just the FINAL.

JMHO

I don't think they should do it for the evictee - just the final two.

With the eviction process I think it's important the HGs are involved there too, and it's not just the HoH and the viewers.

There are ways around that - perhaps if the Veto is used they could have a "Veto Vote", where the other HGs get to choose a replacement nominee, or they could do it as in Brazil where the HoH chooses one nominee, with the other HGs voting for the second. There has to be some involvement of the whole house in the eviction process IMO.

There are exceptions where as a one-off twist the viewers could choose an evictee - but if it was a one off twist I'd rather see the viewers voting for something like the Veto winner so they have an influence, but not the final decision.

Thought of a way in which a one-off public eviction vote could be incorporated as part of the game.

Basically, it be set up similar to the Coup d'Etat with one HG winning a mystery power valid for three evictions.

The power is that for one of those three evictions they can choose that the public decided who is evicted, rather than the HGs.

So they'd be a bit of risk there as the HGs wouldn't have a clue about public opinion - but if they find themselves in the position where they are guaranteed to be voted out that week, it be a risk worth taking!

Has anyone mentioned yet ... that if the public voted for the final 2 HG's.... there wouldn't be any need for the Sequester House ?

Just think of all the anticipation and speculation added to the show - - viewers wondering what the ousted HG's are 'up to' trying to sway the final vote for their favorite while the cameras aren't on them 24 / 7.

..... AND we'd miss the reactions when each additional HG enters the SH .... and, almost forgot the added drama when personalities CLASH :excl:

It gives the show another demension when it starts to lag toward the end. (just wish they'd have live feed in the SH)

I think we can do without that whole Sequester House part.

And yes, it would be fun to watch what the ousted HG's do to try to sway public opinion.

I realize there are pros and cons on each side, but overall, I really like the idea of the public being ultimately responsible for deciding the winner. That way, the HG's would have to choose their words very carefully, knowing that it's all on camera, and viewers are watching, listening, and ultimately deciding.

It would mean more strategy involved for the HG's. If they choose to deceive fellow HG's, they would have to think carefully about who, and how, and what they say.

We (the fans) would have more figuring out to do, cuz we wouldn't be entirely sure what's going on.

In light of this conversation I can't help but think back to "the friendship". They actually thought the HoH room's cameras didn't go out on the live feeds. You would have thought by year 6 they would know better. Imagine for an instant the viewers had the final vote and we get another group that actually believed the HoH room was secure. It would definitely make things more interesting. I believe that this was the ultimate reason Janelle won America's Choice so many times. The Friendship was actually shooting themselves in the foot. And if season 6 had of been "viewers choice" it would have definitely been a closer decision.

i dont think that we should vote.

That takes away so much from the game

And then the people who got to the final 7,6,5,4,3, would have got that far, then everthing is done with them

i think the Jury should Vote. its more fair anyways. having people vote 70 times isnt fair either.

The Jury is Great.. KEEP THEM!

MAYBE. the fans could vote, and the popular Vote goes to 1 vote tward the winner

like, have the jury vote, and have America be one of the deciding votes

NO ALL OF THE VOTES

JUST ONE.

that way we could HELP decide the winner, but not be the ultimate vote

understand?

AND

i hate the idea of the veto winner choicing the replacement Nom.

HOH does, and should ALWAYS be the main person in charge!

ALWAYS!

If you dont think its fair, TOO BAD. your person should of tried for the HOH

I'm not too big on the idea of America picking the winner but if it did go to that, it would be better NOT to reveal it to the houseguests until the final 2. It would be interesting to see what kind of behavior changes would take place. Also if it was America's choice it should be like American Idol where you have to call in and actually pay to vote. That would eliminate someone voting thousands of times a day for a particular person.

If the winners were chosen by America i definitely think we would have seen different winners.

I didn't watch all of Season 1 but from what i did see it seems Eddie would have won anyway.

Season 2 - Will would have still won (if rewarded for gameplay)

Season 3 - Danielle should have won instead of Lisa. I liked Lisa but Dani played a way better game.

Season 4 - Not sure. - Too hard to decide between Jun and Allison. I wouldn't have bothered voting.

Season 5 - Drew would have still won over Cowboy

Season 6 - I would have had to go with Yvette for my guess of the winner between her and Maggie.

Season 7 - Umm tough one. I guess i would vote Boogie over Erika but it could've gone either way.

I've mentioned this before and I will again for anyone who has not read it.

I believe America should get a vote similar to Season 2. In that season since there was an even number of people voting America was given 1 vote. In the case of a tie it was used. I think that would be the best way to involve America without it ruining the game play.

As for my picks from the 7 seasons they are as follows:

Season 1 : Eddie was my pick back then and he still is. But Josh was a very close second.

Season 2 : Even though I hate to admit it Will was a better player than Nicole however she was up there.

Season 3 : Danielle definitely should have won. Lisa will admit this that she rode coat tails.

Season 4 : Allison was a great competitor and Jun was able to cook her way under the radar. Very different game strategies but Jun would have gotten my vote in the end.

Season 5 : I have to say Drew. Cowboy was another that rode coat tails.

Season 6 : Maggie played a better game then Ivette in all honesty. She kept her mouth shut when needed and let everyone else self destruct around her. They (the friendship) were falling over themselves to do her bidding. Perfect game even though I'm a SOV6 fan.

Season 7 : Neither player deserved to be there in the first place. I wouldn't have voted anyway.

only season i disagree with the winners was three and four and allstar edition

danielle got robbed in 3

allison out all bb players of alltime was only complete player should have won 4

WILL was best player of allstar edition

but viewers should never get to vote for anything bb related

Did you forget season 6 uvp? :D

I have to say I think Jun and Alison were great competitors season 4 and I was rooting for both of them but I think Jun was the better player. She didn't have to flirt her way to win... mostly because she had nothing to work... and she expanded...

Archived