Cbs "tolerant" Of Fans Posting Clips

DreamAngel

Just thought I would let everyone know that today I recieved a warning from youtube that my clips from the BB6 and BB7 show had been removed due to copyright infringement. Which means we have to come up with another way next year to share our clips. Any suggestions are welcome.

However it was only the CBS clips that had been removed.

I heard something about this about a week ago,CBS thought youtube was violating copywriting laws but it was still under reveiw in the courts. I guess CBS won the battle.

A couple weeks ago YouTube was sold to Google and the suits in broadcasting were upset over the multi-million deal because 90% of YouTube's content was swiped from broadcasted copyrighted material. I kinda felt that there'd be a housecleaning of clips.

So from what you guys have seen, are they deleting all the stuff, including live feed clips, or just the TV stuff? I think the end result will be that it's all removed.

This Google deal has real got the lawyers out of the woodwork! I think they've just seen how much the company is worth and want some of that!

I hate Youtube personally - much prefer the old fashioned "right click and save" media files - but I don't really see the harm with clips.

Full programmes you could understand, but clips are basically free advertising for the programme and network - and generally they are clips you can take or leave, so even if you might watch them on Youtube, you wouldn't be willing to pay to watch them from CBS.

I also think Big Brother is pretty unique in it's global audience who like to see how things are done differently from country to country. I know quite a few people download full episodes, but for me personally I've never been that interested - but I do like to see the clips of the key moments when I can.

Full programmes you could understand, but clips are basically free advertising for the programme and network

I was thinking the same thing. You'd think that CBS would appreciate all of the free advertising the posters and YouTube have done for them. <_<

• 2 months later...

CBS to Allow Snippets of Shows on Web

January 10, 2007

By AP

By Gary Gentile

source: Back Stage, NY

Fans of CBS shows will soon be able to slice clips from prime-time shows, send them to friends and even "mash" them together in ways that only a short time ago would have triggered complaints of copyright infringement.

CBS Corp. chief executive Leslie Moonves said Tuesday his company would embrace products and technologies that allow viewers to "time shift" and "place shift" his network's shows and interact with them in new ways.

In his first keynote at the International Consumer Electronics Show, Moonves said college basketball fans, for instance, would be able use videoconferencing the hang out in a "virtual skybox," cheering in a group and discussing plays along the way.

Fans of "Star Trek" could visit a computer-generated Starship Enterprise in the virtual world of "Second Life."

CBS is also designing its Web sites to encourage interaction among fans of the CBS crime drama "CSI" and "The L-Word," which appears on the CBS-owned Showtime cable channel.

CBS's efforts are the latest example of networks experimenting with interactivity and the Web. Walt Disney Co.'s ABC was the first network to sell full episodes on Apple's iTunes store, followed quickly by CBS, General Electric Co.'s NBC and Fox, which is owned by News Corp.

CBS also sells shows on Google Inc.'s video store, while Fox offers shows on the popular social-networking hangout MySpace, which its parent company bought in 2005.

Moonves threw his support behind two outside companies besides "Second Life" developer Linden Lab. One is Sling Media Inc., maker of the Slingbox device for relaying shows from a living room TV to any Internet-connected computer.

Sling Media chief executive Blake Krikorian said CBS would help test a new service for letting SlingBox users clip short segments from live or recorded shows and post them on an Internet site for friends to view.

Moonves said that letting fans share snippets makes sense because it allows the network to tap into the passion dedicated viewers have for a particular show. Financial terms were not disclosed, but Moonves said CBS will get paid for the clips that are shared.

"If somebody spends the time to take 20 clips from 'CSI Miami,' I think that's wonderful," Moonves told The Associated Press before his presentation. "That only makes him more involved with my show and want to come to CBS on Monday night and watch my show. And we're going to get paid for the clips this guy takes off our air as well. It's win, win."

The test will begin in the second quarter.

Moonves also invited YouTube co-founder Chad Hurley onto his keynote stage. CBS already posts clips of its shows on the popular Web site, which Google Inc. bought in November. In a turnaround, CBS said it would air several user-generated YouTube clips before its broadcast of the Super Bowl next month.

The network's more tolerant attitude toward people posting clips of CBS shows on the Internet even extends to a popular compilation, or "mashup," featuring Moonves' wife, Julie Chen, and her frequent use of the phrase, "but first..." as host of the show "Big Brother."

"She got a kick out of it more than anybody else," Moonves said. "You know what that meant? They were involved, they were watching, they were having fun with our content. And an extra thousand people were watching 'Big Brother' the next week to see if she said, 'But first.' That's good for us."

Hmmm... interesting.

If there is going to be a problem uploading live feed clips next year, what about http://www.veoh.com, http://www.livevideo.com, or http://www.zippyvideos.com .

I don't know much about either, but I'm pretty sure livevideo is fairly new so I think less trouble would come from there, and zippyvideos is also seems pretty small...

I was thinking the same thing. You'd think that CBS would appreciate all of the free advertising the posters and YouTube have done for them.

No kidding...it really only helps them but, whatever. It's like David vs. Goliath...only Goliath wins in our day and age. :glare:

Mine were removed before this came into effect, I guess they only removed the ones they found. But I think it's a great idea. We now have the legal ability to post them and not worry about them being taken down on us. I LOVE IT!! Thanks CBS.

Well it doesn't appear we'll have any problems this year after all. CBS has decided to allow us to post clips from the show afterall. About time they realized the power of the internet, they do afterall have an internet component themselves with the live feeds.

• 2 weeks later...

I've followed the links and it goes to a new Youtube like site. I've signed up to check it out, but the video quality is A LOT better then Youtube. Maybe we can give them a try out this year for our clips. I'll even post the full episodes for people who missed the show... Not like anyone here would ever miss it.

http://www.veoh.com

Archived