Sign in to follow this  
mjcs

Documentaries

I just started with blockbuster online and I really like to watch documenteries. Can anyone give me the names of any good documentaries you've seen?

Born Into Brothels about the children born to prostitutes in the red light district of Calcutta, India is really good. You cannot help but find these children irresistable. Make sure you watch the bonus features. There's a great update on the children who have grown considerably since the movie was filmed.

I love good documentaries too. Here is a list of some excellent ones you might want to check out:

Touching the Void (my personal favorite)

Hoop Dreams

Mad Hot Ballroom (innercity kids learn to dance and compete-excellent!)

Spellbound (spelling bee...pretty good)

March of the Penguins (I still can't believe they filmed this in sub-freezing temperatures and lived!)

When We Were Kings (Muhammed Ali)

Endurance: Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition

Visions of Light:The Art of Cinematography

GrizzlyMan (this guy is a total lunatic, but you just can't stop watching!)

My Date with Drew (light-hearted and funny)

I've never seen born into brothels, but that will be next on my list!

An Inconvenient Truth - Al Gore flick on the environment.

Born Into the Brothels was really good. It makes you think "how do these kids smile everyday?" Loved Spellbound... :lol:

Thank you everyone. I am adding these to my list on my blockbister online. This blockbuster online deal is great!

Super size me was very good... I havent eaten at McDonalds since lol

My husband and I just watched the movie "Flesh and Blood" and I just had to stop by here and recommend it to all you documentary lovers. It is simply fantastic! It's shows a year in the life of single mom Susan Tom and her 12 (actually 3 don't live at home any longer) children- most adopted, special needs children. It is very real, very straight-forward and VERY moving...and the kids- WOW. Two of them especially will just rip your heart out- Anthony and Faith. What an amazing family! I really don't want to say too much more...just rent it. You'll never complain about a long day at work again.

..Oh, and make sure to watch the interviews with the director/producer and Susan Tom after the movie. Its in the bonus features section of the dvd.

Thank you Kayo. I'll check it out :-)

Southern Comfort and the Collector of Bedford St.

My faves, both very touching. I think SC won Sundance one year, be sure and research the story it may be iffy to some people, but it is such a sweet tale about love and it's boundries.

The CoBs is a heartwarming story, that reminded me that good still exists in the world. We stayed at the home of an Oscar winning director and he had this film in his library. I was bored and never would have watched it otherwise, it's short, but a must see imho.

Thank you Chichi. I'll check it out too. I'm adding them to my queue on blockbuster online (which I love by the way).Thanks again :-)

Just watched Born into Brothels- thanks for the recommendation, it was excellent! And you definitely need to watch the bonus features with updates on the kids (thanks for the tip).

Just watched a great documentary called "God Grew Tired Of Us". It's the story of the lost boys of Sudan who have grown up in refuge camps in Africa. The film follows 4 boys (men now) who have been sponsored and move to the United States. They are like children seeing and experiencing things for the first time that we take for granted everyday. The trip to the Supermarket is especially cute. I highly recommend it. I loved it.

Has anyone been watching Ken Burns' "The War". Tonights episode is suppose to touch on the racial tensions. So far, it's kept me pretty glued.

How many episodes are there of "The War"?

I recorded the first one on my TiVo. I didn't know there is more than one.

Just watched "My Kid Could Paint That" about a 4-yr old modern art "prodigy". Very interesting and thought-provoking. Is it art? Did her dad assist her? It shows many different sides and leaves you having to decide for yourself based on the documentary footage- I love those kind that don't necessarily sway you one way or another. Definitely worth watching.

kayo . . . I saw that movie a couple months ago. My opinion is that the father DEFINITELY had a hand in those paintings. How else can you explain the fact that everytime the camera was on her while she was painting, all she did was act like a typical kid. A couple of hand swipes and she was bored and wanted to go do something else. It was all a sham. But an interesting documentary nonetheless.