Bob Barker Announces Retirement

Dade

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Barker's Final 'Price' Right for Primetime

Episode will air in daytime and in primetime

May 23, 2007

26182831.jpg

Bob Barker

After months of suspense, we finally know when Bob Barker's final episode of "The Price Is Right" will air.

CBS announced on Wednesday (May 23) that Barker's 35-year tenure on "The Price Is Right" will conclude with an episode set for Friday, June 15.

Likely to tape at least a week before, Barker's final "Prince" will show first in the game show's regular daytime slot (11 a.m. ET and 10 a.m. PT) and will then get an encore showing that night in primetime, showing at 8 p.m. and leading directly into CBS' telecast of the 34th Annual Daytime Emmys, a ceremony that will see Barker up for two awards to add to an already hefty pile.

After a number of previous hosting gigs, including "Truth and Consequences," Barker began hosting "The Price Is Right" on Sept. 4, 1972. In his time as host, Barker earned 13 individual Emmys and three Emmys as one of the show's producers. He received a Daytime Television Lifetime Achievement Emmy in 1999 and was inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in June 2004.

Although he's ready to go off into the sunset, Barker's ratings might is still impressive. This past week a pair of specials dedicated to his retirement -- one a "Price Is Right Million Dollar Spectacular" and the other a retrospective of his TV tenure -- averaged roughly 14 million viewers apiece and ranked among the Top 11 most watched shows for the frame.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone is supposed to replace him but I haven't heard it is yet. It wont be the same tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob Barker backs Rosie O'Donnell for 'The Price is Right'

POSTED: 4:57 p.m. EDT, June 16, 2007

Story Highlights

Please, NO.

I shudder to think what she'd say at the end of the show instead of "have your pets spayed or neutered"...

and please, no George Hamilton either.

My vote would be for the guy who played Elaine's boyfriend on Seinfeld...he also played "The Tick" on the short-run series of the same name, and was the voice of Kronk in my favorite animated movie "The Emperor's New Groove". He'd be fantastic, imo. He probably wouldn't be interested though.

From E! News:

Rosie O'Donnell seems to have made up her mind that hosting the Price isn't right for her. In a video message posted Sunday on her Website, O'Donnell said it "looks like it ain't gonna happen" because the game show tapes in Los Angeles and she lives in New York with her family and is unwilling to move. "Here's the thing. I don't really need a job. I'm in a weird position. I don't need the money," the former View host said. "So to get my entire family uprooted from their lives and move them across the country so that I can have a fantasy childhood indulgence job just doesn't seem fair."

"fantasy childhood indulgence job" -- jeeeesh!

..."looks like it ain't gonna happen" because the game show tapes in Los Angeles and she lives in New York with her family and is unwilling to move. "...

Translation: "I wanted the job and asked for it but the producers of the show did not want to turn a light hearted game show into "Rosie's soap box and some prices" so they politely blew me off."

(I like Rosie, but she's self destructive and doesn't know when to just shut it :()

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, TV GUIDE NEWS

CBS Turned Down Rosie O'Donnell's Offer to Host Price Is Right

Despite earlier reports that Rosie O

ap_100.jpg

'Price is Right' for Drew Carey

by David Bauder

drew_l.jpg

Drew Carey

Genial comic Drew Carey was tapped Monday to replace silver-haired legend Bob Barker on the CBS daytime game show "The Price is Right." The deal was set Monday afternoon shortly before a taping of CBS' "Late Show" with David Letterman, where he confirmed it.

"I realize what a big responsibility this is," he said. "It's only a game show, but it's the longest-running game show in American television and I plan to keep it that way."

The selection attracted more attention than usual for a daytime show because of the prospect of replacing Barker, 83. Barker retired after 35 years in the job last month following taping of his 6,586th episode. The opening attracted widespread interest, including from comic Rosie O'Donnell after she left "The View."

Carey, 49, spent a decade on his own ABC sitcom and also was host of the improvisational game show "Whose Line is It Anyway?" Carey will also be host of a new CBS prime-time game show, "The Power of 10," that will air first next month.

drew-carey.gif

Drew Carey

He told The AP on Monday that CBS officials first contacted him about "The Price is Right" immediately after he completed a pilot of the other game show this spring. "My agent called me and said 'I was talking to CBS casting today' and in my head I was thinking, 'Oh, 'CSI' guest star?' And he said what would you think about replacing Bob Barker on 'The Price is Right?'"

Asked if he found the prospect of replacing such a TV legend daunting, Carey recalled talking to a friend who knows the game show business who told him, "as long as Bob Barker is cool with it, the fans will be cool with it."

"I'm cool with it," Barker said after hearing Carey's remarks. Barker said he's not familiar enough with Carey's past performances to offer an opinion on his selection. But, he said, "I understand he ad-libs very well and that he has a very nice, friendly way of working, and I think both of those would be helpful to him on'The Price Is Right.'"

carey-sm.jpg

Drew Carey

His advice for Carey: "Go out there and do that show the way you think it should be done. Don't imitate me and don't imitate anyone else." While Carey said doesn't know Barker personally, the younger comedian said he was comfortable that his predecessor would be accepting when he took on the job.

The negotiation process was nerve-racking. While he was talking with CBS about the job, Carey said he got a call from another lawyer in Hollywood who told him one of his clients was offered "The Price is Right" job.

He figured CBS had lined up back-ups if the first choice did not come through. "If I was going after a second baseman, I wouldn't just talk to one second baseman," the Cleveland Indians fan said. "If I were the general manager, I would be talking to a few second basemen."

• 5 weeks later...

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

October Is Right for Carey's 'Price' Debut

Premiere set for the post-Barker Era

August 23, 2007

32068272.jpg

'The Price Is Right' host Drew Carey

CBS has set an October premiere date for Drew Carey's debut as host of "The Price Is Right."

The network announced on Thursday (Aug. 23) that new episodes of "The Price Is Right" will begin airing on Monday, Oct. 15 as the series kicks off its 36th season and first without Bob Barker.

CBS is quick to emphasize that while the set has been somewhat refreshed "to give it an updated look," it will still be recognizable to generations of "The Price Is Right" fans.

After 35 years, Barker retired from "The Price Is Right" on June 15. The show has been airing Barker Era repeats ever since.

The search for Barker's successor began even before his departure and the various floated names included Todd Newton, Mark Steines, John O'Hurley, George Hamilton, Rosie O'Donnell and even Mario Lopez.

Carey was a late dark-horse in the search, sneaking up to snag the job in late July. He's been filling his time hosting CBS' "Power of 10," which will run through mid-September

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is he inside truth about Barker retirement. Was he more-or-less asked to retired?

It is my impression that Barker would have hosted the show until he died if CBS would have allowed it. Hard to know what really goes on behind the scene, and if Barker was having health problems that made production more and more difficult for him and the show. They try to keep such news under raps as much as possible.

• 2 years later...

Not Bob Barker related but I couldnt find a The Price Is Right thread.....

Courtesy of: CBSPRESSEXPRESS

COME ON DOWN! -- MULTIPLE DAYTIME EMMY AWARD-WINNING "THE PRICE IS RIGHT" CELEBRATES ITS 7,000TH EPISODE THURSDAY, NOV. 5 ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

Drew Carey Hosts The Longest-Running Game Show In Broadcast History

The multiple Daytime Emmy Award-winning THE PRICE IS RIGHT, already the longest-running game show in broadcast history celebrates its 7,000th episode, Thursday, Nov. 5 (11:00 AM-12:00 Noon, ET; 10:00-11:00 AM, PT) on the CBS Television Network. To celebrate, the number 7,000 plays a theme in a few games on the show. In addition, three games that are played were also played in the first show which was broadcast on September 4, 1972.

As of the 7,000th show, nearly a quarter of a billion dollars in prizes to almost 62,000 contestants has been given away. In addition, over two million people have been welcomed to the studio audience. The contestants have ranged in age from 18 to 99 years old, and from all 50 states, as well as multiple countries. The phrase "A new car!" has been shouted over 15,000 times and over 7,000 cars have been given away. The 7,000th episode will also be host Carey's 415th episode and announcer Rich Fields' 1,001st episode.

Bob Barker hosted THE PRICE IS RIGHT from its first broadcast in 1972 until he retired in 2007. In October 2007, Drew Carey took over as the host. Rich Fields became the announcer in 2004, succeeding Rod Roddy, who began announcing the show in 1986. Roddy took over from Johnny Olson, who was the announcer from 1972 until his death in 1985. The show has won a total of 36 Daytime Emmy Awards.

THE PRICE IS RIGHT is now in its 38th year and is television's longest-running game show. It is a Mark Goodson Production, in association with FremantleMedia, North America, Inc. Mike Richards is executive producer, Kathy Greco the producer and Rich DiPirro, the director. The series is broadcast weekdays (11:00 AM-12:00 Noon, ET; 10:00-11:00 AM, PT) on the CBS Television Network.

• 2 years later...

thats really cool.. nobody will ever be able to beat the barker though..

yeah... doesn't he hold some kind world record for sex partners. From what I've read over the years, he has banged a hell of a lot of women that were willing to sleep with him to advance their acting\modeling carrers. Hey, if got them more work, I am not going to fault them for it.

Archived