Bob Barker Announces Retirement

Dade

Courtesy of: ZAP2IT

Bob Barker Announces Retirement

'Price Is Right' host will step down in June

October 31, 2006

26182831.jpg

Bob Barker

The final Plinko tile is soon to fall in Bob Barker's storied career.

CBS confirmed on Tuesday (Oct. 31) that Barker will retire in June, ending a storied 50 years on television.

Barker turns 83 in December and the celebrated host had been talking about retirement for at least a decade.

"We knew this day would come, but that doesn't make it any easier," says Leslie Moonves, president and CEO, CBS Corporation, in a network statement. "Bob Barker is a daytime legend, an entertainment icon and one of the most beloved television personalities of our time. His contribution and loyalty to this Network is immeasurable."

Barker was previously best known for hosting duties on shows like "Truth and Consequences" when he began hosting "The Price Is Right" on Sept. 4, 1972. In his time as host, Barker earned 13 individual Emmys and three Emmys as one of the show's producers. He received a Daytime Television Lifetime Achievement Emmy in 1999 and was inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in June 2004.

During that time, very little could keep Barker from his day job prodding college students and senior citizens to guess the prices of jet skis, common household items and new cars. In 2002, Barker even scheduled his elective prostate surgery for the show's hiatus so as not avoid missing shows.

Barker has acknowledged that the show's producers at Freemantle Media have been searching for his replacement for several years, but no official line of succession has been announced.

Say it aint so, Bob! :(

Courtesy of: AOL, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Bob Barker Retiring After 50 Years on TV

By SANDY COHEN, AP

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 31) - Bob Barker is heading toward his last showcase, his final "Come on down." The silver-haired daytime-TV icon is retiring in June, he told The Associated Press Tuesday.

"I will be 83 years old on December 12," he said, "and I've decided to retire while I'm still young."

He'll hang up his microphone after 35 years as the host of "The Price Is Right" and 50 years overall in television.

Though he has been considering retirement for "at least 10 years," Barker said he has so much fun doing the show that he hasn't been able to leave.

"I've gone on and on and on to this ancient age because I've enjoyed it," he said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to miss it."

Reaching dual milestones, 50 years on television and 35 with "Price," made this an "appropriate" time to retire, Barker said. Besides, hosting the daily CBS program - in which contestants chosen from the crowd "come on down" to compete for "showcases" that include trips, appliances and new cars - is "demanding physically and mentally," he said.

"I'm just reaching the age where the constant effort to be there and do the show physically is a lot for me," he said. "I might be able to do the show another year, but better (to leave) a year too soon than a year too late."

Leslie Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corporation, said Barker has left an enduring mark on the network, calling his contribution and loyalty "immeasurable."

"We knew this day would come, but that doesn't make it any easier," Moonves said in a statement. "Bob Barker is a daytime legend, an entertainment icon and one of the most beloved television personalities of our time."

Barker began his national television career in 1956 as the host of "Truth or Consequences." He first appeared on "Price" on Sept. 4, 1972 and has been the face of the show ever since.

A CBS prime-time special celebrating the show's longevity and Barker's five decades on TV was already under way, a network spokesman said.

To kick off his retirement, Barker said he will "sit down for maybe a couple of weeks and find out what it feels like to be bored." Then he plans to spend time working with animal-rights causes, including his own DJ&T Foundation, founded in memory of his late wife, Dorothy Jo, and mother, Matilda.

He said he'd take on a movie role if the right one came along, but filmmakers, take note: "I refuse to do nude scenes. These Hollywood producers want to capitalize on my obvious sexuality, but I don't want to be just another beautiful body."

Freemantle Media, which owns "Price," has been looking for Barker's replacement for "two or three years," Barker said. And he has some advice for whoever takes the job: learn the show's 80 games backwards and forward.

"The games have to be just like riding a bicycle," Barker said. "Then he will be relaxed enough to have fun with the audience, to get the laughs with his contestants and make the show more than just straight games, to make it a lot of fun."

As for his fans, Barker said he "doesn't have the words" to express his gratitude.

"From the bottom of my heart, I thank the television viewers, because they have made it possible for me to earn a living for 50 years doing something that I thoroughly enjoy. They have invited me into their homes daily for a half a century."

But when it comes to saying his final TV goodbye, Barker said he'll do it the same way he does each day on "Price": "Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered."

i figured they'd haul him off the stage to his funeral.....i havent watched the price is right since i was a kid, but all my patients watch it religiously, and i know they wont be accepting of a replacement host :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bob Barker swears and predicts the death of TV

By Daniel Fienberg

January 19, 11:09 AM

bobbarker_cbsupn2004allstarparty_240.jpg

What was it that Louis XV predicted of the fate of France after his demise? Apres moi, le deluge? Bob Barker, the legendary host of The Price Is Right took the stage on Thursday (Jan. 18) at the TCA press tour to proclaim nearly the same thing.

Asked of CBS' plans for his replacement, Barker's response was quick.

"You haven't been told? When I leave, not only is The Price is Right ending, all television is ending."

In addition to proving that Barker has an endless reserve of slow unfolding annecdotes from his 50 years in television, the session proved that the venerable personality loves a slow tease and he likes the word "b*tch."

Hey Bob Barker, why do college students love Bob Barker so much?

I think Happy Gilmore helped a little. I don't want to say a lot... I was in that movie 10 years ago. I don't tape a show that someone in the audience doesn't bring up Happy Gilmore. 'Did you like beating up Adam Sandler?' And 'How was it to beat up Adam Sandler?' They loved that movie, particularly young men. Then they will say, 'Do the line, Bob. Do the line.' I don't know whether you know what the line is. But the line they want me to do, after Adam Sandler, after I finished him off, I said 'The price is right, bitch.'

They loved that. They loved it. And so when they come to the show, to The Price is Right, then they will start saying, 'Bob, do the line.' I say, 'Oh, I don't talk that way in real life. That was acting on the highest order, I'm not...' 'No. Do the line. Do the line.' They go on and on and on. So then I'll say, "[The show's publicist] over here is a lady of good taste. I'll ask her, and if she says that I can do the line, I'll do it. If I can't, if she says no, I won't do it.' Then I turn to [her]... [and] she pretends she wasn't paying any attention. I'll say, 'These people, they're nagging me. They want me to say 'The price is right, bitch.'' She says, 'Oh, no. No.' Then they scream. They love it. I've said it. Or I'll say to the stage manager, 'How much time do we have?' He'll say, 'Ten seconds.' I'll say, 'Only ten seconds? I don't have time to say 'The price is right, bitch,'' and then on they go, and they're screaming when we come up.

I've told them here I've been in television for 50 years, and what am I going to be remembered for? 'The price is right, bitch,' if I'm remembered at all.

In case you're curious, Barker reports that he plans to tape his last episode on June 6, meaning his final new daytime show will air sometime at the end of that month. CBS will run reruns featuring Barker through the summer before bringing in his replacement in September, assuming the medium survives at all.

Ok please refrain from throwing anything at me :hide: ... I was reading a magazine this weekend (intouch or people or something like that) and it said that Rosie is going to try out to be the host, she said she would love to host the Price is Right. ok Im running out of here now...

Please no Ryan Seacrest...although Carnie Wilson really wouldn't be half bad...

I doubt a woman will replace Bob...

Awww thats sad I'm gonna miss bob on the price is right

You two need to get a room...

And blackie, King STILL hasn't extended the invitation my way...I've asked repeatedly.

This is definitely ego-deflating.

No invite needed I am sneaking you in and then we can take over lol!!

On Topic, I wonder what special things they will do for his last show?

I would hate to see Rosie host the show..I use to like her but since she has been on the view I cant' stand her anymore and I stopped watching the view and I dont' want to have to stop watching TPIR too.

I wonder how a Wayne Brady, Tom Bergeron or Kelsey Grammer would do in Bob Barkers place.

Oh and I don't want Tony Danza either...

• 2 months later...

Courtesy of; ZAP2IT

CBS Plans Primetime Bob Barker Showcase

Fans can also submit adoring tributes on YouTube

April 3, 2007

26182831.jpg

Bob Barker

After 35 years with CBS, Bob Barker exiting "The Price Is Right" this year, so the network is dedicating two hours of key May sweeps real estate to honoring him.

CBS announced Tuesday (April 3) that Barker will be the subject of a pair of primetime specials to air on Wednesday, May 16 and Thursday, May 17.

The Wednesday special will be a "Price Is Right Million Dollar Spectacular," promising bigger prizes and offering the contestants a chance to spin the while for $1 million.

The following night, CBS will run the package show "Bob Barker: A Celebration of 50 Years on Television." As one might expect, the special will be a celebration of Barker's 35 year run on "The Price Is Right"

"After 50 years in show business and 35 years on CBS, we want to give Bob a primetime sendoff befitting of an entertainment icon," says CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler. "Audiences everywhere will enjoy playing one more primetime show with Bob and then celebrating his amazing career and the moments that made his reign on The Price is Right so memorable."

CBS is also inviting fans to make up 15-second tributes to Baker to be posted on YouTube. The best of the viewer-submitted tributes will be broadcast on the network during either the primetime specials or during the regular daytime run of "The Price Is Right."

Barker was previously best known for hosting duties on shows like "Truth and Consequences" when he began hosting "The Price Is Right" on Sept. 4, 1972. In his time as host, Barker earned 13 individual Emmys and three Emmys as one of the show's producers. He received a Daytime Television Lifetime Achievement Emmy in 1999 and was inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in June 2004.

Reuters100x26.jpg

'The Price Is Right' Host List Narrowing

Mark.Steines.jpg

Top Contender Mark Steines

The field of candidates to succeed Bob Barker as host of CBS' venerable game show, "The Price Is Right" might be narrowing. Sources indicated that Mark Steines, George Hamilton and Mario Lopez have emerged as top contenders, with Steines, co-host of "Entertainment Tonight," getting the strongest buzz at the moment.

Tapes of 'Price' auditions have been sent out and are being shown to test audiences around the country, sources said. The list also includes Todd Newton, John O'Hurley and former "Beauty and the Geek" host Mike Richards. Representatives for CBS declined comment, as did FremantleMedia North America, which produces the long-running show.

Barker said in October that he will retire in May after 35 years as host of the show. It now appears that he will tape his last show in June. The network is planning to give him a sendoff that includes a primetime special celebrating the TV veteran's career to air May 17.

• 4 weeks later...

GSN Pays Tribute to Barker

Network features 'TPIR' host on other game shows

May 2, 2007

GSN is joining in the celebration of Bob Barker's long career, highlighting several of "The Price Is Right" host's lesser-known works in the game-show arena.

The cable network has several nights of tribute programming scheduled in honor of the 83-year-old Barker, who is retiring from his 35-year run on "The Price Is Right" in June. In addition to recognizing his place in the pantheon of game-show hosts, GSN will feature several vintage shows in which Barker was a panelist rather than the host.

"Bob Barker has been a welcome and constant fixture in American households for a half century," says Rich Cronin, president and CEO of GSN. "We wanted to take this opportunity to reflect on his life-spanning career in a way that only GSN can -- it's our way of congratulating him on the most extraordinary career in the game show world."

Starting Tuesday, May 15, the network will air episodes of "The Match Game" that featured Barker as a celebrity panelist -- along with the likes of Charles Nelson Reilly and Richard Dawson -- at 9 and 9:30 p.m. ET. The shows originally aired between 1975 and '78. Those same nights will also feature Barker and the "Barker Beauties" appearing on "Family Feud" in 1991, where they squared off against cast members from "The Young and the Restless."

The tribute concludes on Saturday, May 19, with the special "Game Show Countdown: Top 10 Hosts" at 7 p.m., and later that night, a 1972 edition of "I've Got a Secret" with Barker as a panelist and a little-seen episode of "Tattletales" from 1976 in which he filled in for regular host Bert Convy.

Viewers will also be able to vote on Barker's "Price Is Right" replacement in a poll on the network's web site, and a "TPIR" staffer will host the late-night show "quiznation" during that week.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived