• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I've also seen these:

WTH = Wave to HG's

STFU = Staying True Friends Unified

WTF = What's The Flavor

just a few.... :P

:o say it ain't so.... just thought I'd add those in as they are used quite often. No offense meant, take them as a joke, but if you got it laugh with me.

ahh its ok.. when any of you women say DH i instantly think you are meaning "d*ckhead" cause that was an abbreviation in a aol chatroom i use to go to. :lol::lol: i was thinking there were a lot of em around here.. till someone asked what it meant and someone said "dear husband"

oopsy me. :blink:

FotH Fire of the House. When we don't get to see something live, they transmit a shot of the fireplace or flames. In previous seasons, they showed the "Front of the House" and in BB6, the " Fish of the House."

If I recall correctly, they showed Fish in BB5 also.

Before this season of BB, I had never heard the phrase, "throw under the bus," or any of it's derivatives. The HG's have been using it all the time, to the extreme annoyance of some BB viewers. Then today I was watching The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency - another reality show - and I heard it used again. It was used by Kevin Black of Interscope Records, Geffen Records, and A&M Records. He said, "When somebody say I'm trusting you; you pick the girl; it's your decision. That means you're under the bus and either the wheels is gonna miss you, or go around you, or go over you and back up and then come back forward." :blink:

After so much bus talk I decided to research the meaning. Apparently I'm not the first to do so. In 2005, Dave Matter of the Columbia Daily Tribune decided to do the same. His article is interesting and funny (it can be read here: http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/Dec/20051211Spor007.asp), however, he failed to actually find phrase's origin. :huh:

According to Slang: the Authoritative Topic-by-Topic Dictionary of American Lingoes from All Walks of Life" by Paul Dickson (Pocket Books, New York, 1990), the definition resides under "Automotive Slang; throw under a bus -- Sales talk for selling someone a car or van with all the extras and options at full sticker price or better." http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/3/messages/269.html

However this phrase has made it's way into the political and sports arenas as well. The meanings, according to urbandictionary.com ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...w+under+the+bus ) are:

1) To sacrifice some other person, usually one who is undeserving or at least vulnerable, to make personal gain. He'd throw his mother under the bus if it'd mean he could beat the rap.

2) One is thrown under the bus when they are made the scapegoat or blamed for something that wasn't their responsibility in the first place. A coverup for your mistake. Ruby Red, I didn't have time to do the business report, so I threw you under the bus and told the boss it was your job instead.

3) You get thrown under the bus when someone (usually a co-worker) reports some wrongdoing or slacking off to a superior or other influential person. Sometimes used with the suffix "Vrooooom!" to simulate the noise the bus would make as it passes by at a high rate of speed. "Dicky George, I can't believe you just threw me under the bus."

4) To reveal information damaging to another's character as to a boss or girlfriend. Yo, Ben, thanks for throwing me under the bus with that remark about those girls.

5) Physically throwing a person under a big, smelly city bus is the perfect metaphor for the act of positioning someone to be ground up under the wheels of the ever rolling omnibus of society in your stead. The bus carries people. The people's weight is what crushes the victim. This setting up of a patsy has an earlier, more agrarian beginning in "throwing him to the wolves." Someone is going down, it's not going to be you, so you select a candidate to feed into the system. Every time the president gets in trouble, he'll throw another cabinet member under the bus.

6) This is what you do when you can't think of any other way to break up with your girlfriend. I didn't want to hurt Jane's feelings, so I just threw her butt under the bus instead.

According to SportsDictionary.com, Version 5.1, 1st Edition. 9 Aug. 2006 (http://www.sportsdictionary.com/wordview.aspx?Word=Throw+Under+The+Bus&Sport=General+Sports+Term), it is a general sports term:

Synonyms: Kick To The Curb, Attack

Antonyms: Defend, Support

Usage: Bill Walton threw the losing basketball team under the bus after they failed to be good sportsmen.

I also found some other amusing phrases related to buses:

Drive the porcelain bus - Vomiting or regergitating into a toilet.

Rides the rainbow bus or Rides the short bus - Not all there mentally.

Like the back (end) of a bus - (esp. after look or be) very unpleasant, ugly or unattractive.

Miss the bus - to pass up or miss a chance, opportunity, esp. one that you will not be able to have again. I hesitated too long about buying a car with the money I saved; but now I guess I missed the bus, because I spent almost great amount of it, and I can never save this amount again.

Booze bus (in Australia) - Police vehicle used for catching drunk drivers

There is a movie called On The Buses based on a 70's comedy series about bus drivers feeling threatened after women drivers are employed. There is also a spoof disaster movie called The Big Bus. It is about the world's first nuclear-powered bus and attempts made to destroy it on its maiden journey.

Finally, IMO, this season the houseguests are designated to ride the rainbow bus. Yet, they repeatedly miss the bus because they are so busy throwing other people under the bus. Some of the HG's may be distracted by others that look like the back end of the bus (not to name names, but Will & Mike ARE the back end of the bus - would that be the "bus butts?" That should be the name of their alliance. :lol: ) The HG's have no need to fear the booze bus, being trapped in the BB house and so far as I know, no one has driven the porcelain bus, and thank goodness for that! B)

Archived