Big Brother 7: What changes would you make?

Brekkie Boy

Just six months away from BB7 now - so what would you like to see?

1: The cast - this time I'd like to see no twist to the cast. It'll just be a group of strangers - the main twists will come from the format.

2: Similarly, the number of HMs would be cut to 13 to avoid regular "Double Eviction weeks" or HMs being evicted every episode for the final few weeks. This should mean things like Food Competitions can continue till the end of the series. I also want to see more luxury competitions.

3: At least one MAJOR twist. The format is currently too predictable. Each week they have a HoH comp, the HoH nominates, there is a Veto comp, Veto ceremony and eviction. There needs to be the occassional twist which means these events are not a certainty. The biggest twist I want to see is that one week the HoH will be at risk of eviction.

The most important rule of the game should be that "Big Brother can change the rules at anytime".

4: At least one America's Choice that matters and has an impact on the game - for example, one week America would determine who wins the Veto.

5: Talking of the Veto - the backdoor needs to be locked. It was great as a one off strategy, but became boring when the main way of getting someone evicted was not to nominate them - but instead lock them out of the Veto comp and name them as a replacement nominee instead.

How I'd tackle this is by starting the jackpot at $1m - but everytime someone uses the Veto, $100,000 is wiped off the jackpot. This mean using it would come at a price.

A less radical solution is to merge the Veto and Luxury competitions. The winner of the Veto could then exchange the Veto for a luxury prize.

6: A twist to the jury. I'd like to see the jury of seven return to the house for the final few days - giving the finalists the chance to suck up to them - or fall out with them again! It would make the final few days of the live feeds much more interesting too!

And that's just for starters - would like to see your ideas too!

P.S. - some previous posts of mine which have discussed some of these ideas further. I think they have been archived now, so you probably can't reply to them - but feel free to discuss them here.

Themed Competitions

- each week the competitions would be linked by a theme.

Challenges: Suggestions and Ideas - quite a few ideas for competitions from myself and other members

The Jury - ideas about changes to The Jury, including more about the possibility of sending them back in to live with the finalists

Ideas and wishful thinking - ideas posted in the lead up to Big Brother 6

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bread and water.

Scrub boards for washing clothes. No dryers.

No hot tubs.

No underground swimming pool, but a plastic one that has to be maintained every day.

Cots to sleep on, for all.

No blow dryers, shavers, make up allowed. Every one should be au natural.

More American votes -- let the houseguest know how America feels right from the beginning. FINGERBANGING AND ALL.

No fancy foods, just the staples.

No disgusting food comps where they have to eat distgusting food products. It's gross.

I say the producers need to put the idea of what BIG BROTHER really is back into the game. They are getting too soft with the houseguests.

Bread and water.

Scrub boards for washing clothes. No dryers.

No hot tubs.

No underground swimming pool, but a plastic one that has to be maintained every day.

Cots to sleep on, for all.

No blow dryers, shavers, make up allowed. Every one should be au natural.

More American votes -- let the houseguest know how America feels right from the beginning. FINGERBANGING AND ALL.

No fancy foods, just the staples.

No disgusting food comps where they have to eat distgusting food products. It's gross.

I say the producers need to put the idea of what BIG BROTHER really is back into the game. They are getting too soft with the houseguests.

Whoa Ginger, you're sending them to prison! :lol:

Actually, I like elements of this, and what breakie posted. I can tell you what I don't want to see, and that is more twists involving twins, couples, etc... As breakie said, let's leave that crap out. And as Ginger says, more America's Choice. The houseguests that act like assess SHOULD know that America sees it, and judges them.

Other than that I'm fine with the rest. Game On!

WAIT!

NO SILVERWARE! :lol:

Spaghetti or pudding wo' be interesting.

Hold the napkins!hehehe

They could just finger-paint afterwards tae cut the boredom.

I AGREE no bluidy hot tub.It's tae noisey an I canna hear!Then again..think I'll skip feeds this year anyways. :unsure:

Well, we did get some of those on BB6.

Yes, and with bread and water as their meals; flatulence wouldn't be a problem. :)

Whoa Ginger, you're sending them to prison! :lol:

Actually, I like elements of this, and what breakie posted. I can tell you what I don't want to see, and that is more twists involving twins, couples, etc... As breakie said, let's leave that crap out. And as Ginger says, more America's Choice. The houseguests that act like assess SHOULD know that America sees it, and judges them.

Other than that I'm fine with the rest. Game On!

Yes, Crappy..it shouldn't be fun for the houseguests, it should just be fun for us watching them living on hard times for three months. ;)

I think it's agreed there needs to be more "normal" people in the house - and to be fair I don't think the cast of BB6 were as much wanabee actors as previous years.

Let's move on though and concentrate on the format - what changes would you like to see here?

Someone mentioned PB&J - but to be honest changing PB&J to another type of food isn't going to affect the main show a great deal.

However, the issue could be addressed with a major change which has already proved a hit across Europe. The house is divided into a rich side and a poor side, with the winner of a weekly challenge living the life of luxury - and the losers, well - cold showers, uncomfortable beds and a basic diet - plus an outside toilet - means they don't!

The house is divided into a rich side and a poor side, with the winner of a weekly challenge living the life of luxury - and the losers, well - cold showers, uncomfortable beds and a basic diet - plus an outside toilet - means they don't!

I like that idea BrekkieBoy.

They have far too many luxuries these days with gymnasiums, hot tubs and pools etc.

They need to sit around and get bored in utter discomfort so as to show their true colours.

The prize money may need to be raised if those conditions are applied.

I think it's agreed there needs to be more "normal" people in the house - and to be fair I don't think the cast of BB6 were as much wanabee actors as previous years.

Let's move on though and concentrate on the format - what changes would you like to see here?

Someone mentioned PB&J - but to be honest changing PB&J to another type of food isn't going to affect the main show a great deal.

However, the issue could be addressed with a major change which has already proved a hit across Europe. The house is divided into a rich side and a poor side, with the winner of a weekly challenge living the life of luxury - and the losers, well - cold showers, uncomfortable beds and a basic diet - plus an outside toilet - means they don't!

That would be the same concept of what they have now...one person gets the better bedroom and the losers don't. Of course, what you stated that the losers get, is a bit harsher than what they are accustomed to now. BUT, what the producers should do is enforce a rule that "teammates" of the winner should not be allowed in the HOH room. Whereas, the winner gets it all and even those who team up with them get NOTHING. There would be more hostility amongst everyone which in turn would not allow sides taken up so early in the game. I think when sides are taken early on in the game, the game becomes a bit more predictable. That is why is was great fun to see Danielle and Jason play...no one knew they were a team.

Also, I agree with having regular people on the show. The producers should go into dept stores, pharmacies and fast food restaurants and ask people to consider joining the show. This would be so much more interesting than the wannabe models and actors on a show that could easily be renamed "BB's next model/actor'.

I don't know...e'er have someone breath in yer face after eating a tuna sandwich?hehe he

How about as well as having a Head of Household, you also have someone at the other end of the scale - essentially the bottom of the household (but with a catchier name!).

They'd get their own room too - but it would be more like a prison cell than a penthouse suite. And while the HoH is immune, the BoH would automatically be up for eviction - but could save themselves in the Veto Challenge.

The BoH would be decided in the HoH Challenge. Basically each HoH challenge would narrow the field down to two finalists - where the stakes are high. The winning finalist is HoH - the losing finalist is BoH!

Alternatively, rather than the BoH being determined in a challenge, you could just say the nominees are at the bottom of the pecking order and they'd be the ones who have to sleep in the cell!

BUT, what the producers should do is enforce a rule that "teammates" of the winner should NOT be allowed in the HOH room. Whereas, the winner gets it all and even those who team up with them get NOTHING. There would be more hostility amongst everyone which in turn would not allow sides taken up so early in the game.

This would most definitely make it more interesting

I agree with the view that the US version of Big Brother pampers its houseguests way too much.

As a viewer, what I would like to see happen is for CBS to make publicly available (after the houseguests are sequestered, of course!) a schedule detailing the names and dates of all planned competitions and twists, for the whole season in advance. Otherwise, fans will again be complaining about favoritism and making accusations about manipulated competitions. This will not eliminate controversies like the BB5 mini-golf competition, or BB6's Janelle writing showing "300" while she was writing on the other side of her cardboard, naturally, but it would help reduce it. The game not being run smoothly is the thing which bothers me most about the show.

As far as twists go, I would gladly sacrifice the "surprise" element in favor of twists of higher quality, as many of the twists of late have ended up being lame, or fizzling out. Even if they tell us the planned twist in advance, they don't have to give us all the details.

I would like to see more competitions with a physical component, and less with a mental component.

I also agree with enforcing some kind of restriction on who can stay in the HoH room. Even though the HoH room in the new house is much larger than the one in the old house, I would restrict overnight access to it, allowing only the HoH and a maximum of one guest of their choosing. I think that although this aspect of the game did not necessarily cause or aid the initial polarization this past year, it was the major factor in its continuance. Had overnight access to the HoH room been restricted, there would have been more interaction, and thus more opportunity for changes in opinion and alliances, between the remaining houseguests.

How aboot at the end o' each week...ALL the HG's have tae draw a color oot of a hat type deal. Then they be paired up wi' the person who's also drawn oot the same color & they become roomies.Way tae see who remains true tae alliances & who double crosses. ;)

I also agree with enforcing some kind of restriction on who can stay in the HoH room. Even though the HoH room in the new house is much larger than the one in the old house, I would restrict overnight access to it, allowing only the HoH and a maximum of one guest of their choosing. I think that although this aspect of the game did not necessarily cause or aid the initial polarization this past year, it was the major factor in its continuance. Had overnight access to the HoH room been restricted, there would have been more interaction, and thus more opportunity for changes in opinion and alliances, between the remaining houseguests.

The interesting thing with the sheep last year though was it wasn't all "I'm the HoH - come and sleep in my room" - it was they just didn't trust one of them to be left alone!

It's difficult this issue - I think as far as possible they should be allowed to make up the rules of living in the house themselves, so therefore it should be up to the HoH who stays in their room.

Basically while producers should be firmly in control of the rules of the game, I think the houseguests should have the main control over the rules of the house.

Big Brother could keep an eye on things though - perhaps if someone stays in the HoH room regularly when they are not HoH, BB could remove their bed!

I'm kind of digging the whole double-secret immunity idea from Survivor. Maybe have a few Veto comps where the winner is not known until AFTER the votes. Everyone can compete for the "Ultimate Veto", when they are in confessional, BB tells them that they won the veto. Here's a catch, they cannot let on to ANYONE friend or foe that they hold the Ultimate Power, if they do, they lose it. That means people would HAVE to lie.

More food and prize competitions that can be used to barter votes. For example, I would offer my new iPod and 2,000 free downloads if you don't vote for me.

In BB6, did the jury get to watch the confessionals? I remember that's what totally screwed Alison in BB5, not that she had too much of a chance.

I would also like to see BB more manipulative. Have bits and pieces of confessions or private conversations on a message board of some kind. I want more paranoia!!

I'm kind of digging the whole double-secret immunity idea from Survivor. Maybe have a few Veto comps where the winner is not known until AFTER the votes. Everyone can compete for the "Ultimate Veto", when they are in confessional, BB tells them that they won the veto. Here's a catch, they cannot let on to ANYONE friend or foe that they hold the Ultimate Power, if they do, they lose it. That means people would HAVE to lie.

I would also like to see BB more manipulative. Have bits and pieces of confessions or private conversations on a message board of some kind. I want more paranoia!!

Liking your style. That is exactly how Big Brother has developed in the UK, making it a much tougher psychological experience - and a better, more intelligent, show.

Re: Survivor - I'm aware of the basic rules of Survivor, but for the benefit of myself and other non-US viewers, could someone explain how the "Double Secret Immunity" worked?

Re: Survivor - I'm aware of the basic rules of Survivor, but for the benefit of myself and other non-US viewers, could someone explain how the "Double Secret Immunity" worked?

The double secret immunity is one of the new twists in this season's Survivor. Last season, they hid a little idol and if someone found it, they were safe from being voted out. They didn't have to use it immediately or tell anyone they had it. Heck, they could have even given it to someone to keep them safe. But they had to use the immunity before the vote. THIS season I have dubbed it "Double Secret Immunity" (a slight nod to the best movie ever "Animal House") because they can wait until AFTER the vote. So, if you have four people thinking they are getting rid of you, and they vote together, Jeff (the host) reads your name, you can turn around and whip the idol out of your pocket and yell, "Not today jerks!!" or "Bye bye bitches!" That way, you can figure out who of your alliance tried to vote you out, even though they "Swore to Gawd" they wouldn't. Love this twist! Hope to see it in Big Brother 7 and maybe a few other reality shows...like the Bachelor...man wouldn't that be funny.

Thanks.

I guess the best way to do that would be to have some kind of Secret Veto, perhaps awarded in the first America's Choice of the season and valid until it is used.

The Veto is an area where their are so many options for twists without taking away from the core format of the show.

For example:

- Super Veto - winner can name replacement nominee

- Double Veto - Veto holder can save both nominees

- Ultimate Veto - the Veto holder can save a nominee and replace them with the HoH

- America's Veto - Veto winner determined by America's Choice

and of course:

- America's Ultimate Super Double Veto - the Veto winner, as voted for in America's Choice, can save both nominees and name the HoH and another houseguest as replacement nominees!

I don't think any of these should be the twist to the Veto for the entire season, but as a one-off twist to shake things up a bit they would work well.

I STILL think forcing them tae HAVE TAE switch partners(alliances) wo' be interesting.For instance for a few days only the partner ye drew wo' be who ye could talk tae!Nobody else!Even a few times o' that could throw a wrench intae the typical 2 sided BS.

Archived