Big Brother Misses Obvious Rules Violation

Fuskie

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a fan of rumor or conspiracy theory and I don't buy into the idea that Big Brother intentionally allowed Tyler to cheat to win HoH, but Big Brother is also sometimes fallible, and in this case, instant replay (i.e. Flashback) clearly shows that  on Feed 3, August 30th, at 11:03pm, Tyler lifted his feet off his rope's disc.  According to Kaycee's recitation of the rules during the Wednesday night broadcast covering the competition, she said that if you feet come off the disc, you are out of the competition.  The infraction was only for a few seconds, but from the screen shots below, it is unmistakable. 

Kudos to Morty's TV LFU (Live Feed Updater) BBLurkerPlus for his eagle eye for catching this and mentioning it in the LFU thread for 9/2/18.  I went back and performed a forensic analysis validating his observation:

Here Tyler begins to lift his feet up.

2018-08-30-23.14.23-Cam 3.jpg

Tyler's feet are a good foot off the disc at this point.

2018-08-30-23.02.56-Cam 3.jpg

Tyler gets his feet back down on the disc.

2018-08-30-23.02.55-Cam 3.jpg

I'm not sure even Tyler realizes this happened.  The infraction took place after JC and Sam fell but before Scottie fell, so technically, Haleigh should be HoH and Tyler should be on slop, since the first three out in the HoH comp were automatically named Have Nots by Big Brother today (Sunday, 9/2/18).  Given that there have been nominations and a Veto competition, I doubt that Big Brother will go back and correct its mistake, but perhaps Tyler should at least receive a Slop punishment.

What do you think?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually happened at 11:03:10PM BBT BEFORE Sam fell. Ty should have been the second person out, making Sam 3rd out. KC was out at 11:31, which would have been when Hay won if Ty was called out. Instead she had to play an extra 16 minutes and production gave the win to Ty then tried to cover up the rule violation with edits.

They should do a rewind this week to fix it.  Hay should not be cheated after competing in the comp so hard and Ty clearly breaking the rules.

tyler-disqualified-close.jpg

Kaycee recounting the rules that say you need to keep at least 1 foot on the disc at all times in the video below:

Scottie ALSO referring to the "keep one foot on the disc" rule, though he says if one foot comes off he's out.  So, one foot off (Scottie recounting) or two feet off, either way, Tyler was disqualified and not called for it.

Liz from BB17 Episode 30 repeating the "1 foot on disc at all times rule" for same comp in the video below:

Sunday night in the house, Angela referring to the 1 foot rule, then JC insisting that "they" said you had to keep your feet on the disc in below video. (This feels VERY MUCH like Production prompted Tyler and Angela to have this conversation for the outraged live feeders, but JC clearly didn't get the memo because he keeps insisting on the actual rules they all heard - to keep at least one foot on the disc)

Broadcast version of the Sunday show where it's 100% clear that Angela's audio in the middle was replaced with a reading of rules in a different sound environment. It likely replaced the 1 foot on the disc rule when production realized they had a problem of Tyler being disqualified they had to cover up.

Big Brother production knows Tyler lost. They're clearly covering it up (poorly). If Ty had been out 2nd by disqualification, the competition would have ended about 20 minutes earlier when Hay was the last one standing on her disc.  Big Brother owes her a rewind week to fix this.  If they don't, they have openly cheated their own long-standing rule for this HoH competition.

I’m a Tyler fan, but I think that they still have plenty of time to let them all know what happened, and let Hay make her Noms, then do a Q& A type of veto comp before Wednesday’s show. It’s the only Fair thing to do. There is $500,000.00 at stake. She’s going to look back on this and see that CBS clearly was aware and could have fixed it in plenty of time and didn’t. This could change the outcome of the whole game. And again, I’m team Tyler all the way. But, come on..... it’s fixable. They should tell them today. I’ll be shocked if they don’t. They almost HAVE to with everything that’s out here on the internet now. For them to NOT address it would be so bad for them for future B.B. seasons (IMO). So far, they’ve at least addressed all issues plaguing internet this season. For them to ignore this on tape for everyone to see, idk, I guess we will see how the week plays out. I know I will be disappointed if they don’t fix it. It would actually give them a little drama they are lacking right now. 

I don’t think Tyler realized he had broken a rule. At this point, I think it would be unfair to allow Haleigh to continue suffering for the loss but I also think it would be unfair to take it away fromTyler because it is BB’s fault. The only “fix” I can think of at this point is BB giving Haleigh safety from eviction and her being HOH next week automatically. ?? So much has happened since the comp anything they do to “fix” it at this point taints the game. Maybe CBS should cough up $500,000 to Haleigh and Tyler for screwing up their games. Because Tyler will be negatively affected by this at this point and Haleigh most certainly is too. 

I doubt that Tyler knew he broke the rule.  My guess is just an honest mistake . 

Then again ... I'm a bit naive about a lot of what goes on with BB production!   :rolleyes:   No idea if they caught this and then did a cover-up or just screwed up.

The problem with declaring Haleigh the winner is no one can predict what would have happened if Tyler had been called out and dropped 2nd.  Would the others in his alliance fight harder? 

IMO,  the only FAIR way to settle this would be  a re-set of this week.   The problem with that is it would throw off the # in the house.   Two double evictions?   A TRIPLE eviction?  They would have to do something to make the HG #s come out right at the end of the show.

Hopefully they will come up with something to make this right.

33 minutes ago, BBwatchr said:

I don’t think Tyler realized he had broken a rule. At this point, I think it would be unfair to allow Haleigh to continue suffering for the loss but I also think it would be unfair to take it away fromTyler because it is BB’s fault. The only “fix” I can think of at this point is BB giving Haleigh safety from eviction and her being HOH next week automatically. ?? So much has happened since the comp anything they do to “fix” it at this point taints the game. Maybe CBS should cough up $500,000 to Haleigh and Tyler for screwing up their games. Because Tyler will be negatively affected by this at this point and Haleigh most certainly is too. 

I don't agree with making Haleigh HOH automatically (for my reasons above) but I do agree with your last sentence about both of their games being negatively affected.  Whoever goes to Jury next will let everyone know that Tyler "cheated" and that will hurt any jury votes.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this screw-up, how CBS handles it.  Coughing up the $$ to both of them is an excellent idea!  

1 hour ago, JustJanToo said:

I doubt that Tyler knew he broke the rule.  My guess is just an honest mistake . 

Then again ... I'm a bit naive about a lot of what goes on with BB production!     Whoever goes to Jury next will let everyone know that Tyler "cheated" and that will hurt any jury votes.

do they even know Ty ‘cheated’? How would they tell the jury house if they don’t know?

and it’s hardly an ‘obvious’ rule violation. It took an eagle eye and close screen captures to see it. So it looks like an honest mistake. Though to be fair, this looks harder than just standing on the disk, but still it’s against the rule

can someone please post the other screen captures so those of us without the Morty’s TFU Team account can see them?

oh, and I guess BB could just kick JC out for inappropriate behavior and stay on schedule 

57 minutes ago, Hikiki said:

do they even know Ty ‘cheated’? How would they tell the jury house if they don’t know?

No, I am assuming that no one noticed.   But if BB tried to fix it = as BBwatchr suggested = the other houseguests would know what happened.   

2 hours ago, BBwatchr said:

The only “fix” I can think of at this point is BB giving Haleigh safety from eviction and her being HOH next week automatically. ??

And again, I don't think that Tyler cheated, it was just a BB mistake at not catching it.  But ... that's not to say the Jury and people not in his alliance would see it that way if they found out. 

I don’t think that the split second of feet off gave him any advantage, in fact it was probably harder to hold on.  However he maybe did technically accodentally break the rules.  The problem is u can’t just make Haleigh HOH bcuz if she was truthful in saying she would’ve never nominated Tyler, that may have changed now after seeing Tyler’s nominations.  So, that is unfair to him if she would now do different noms based on what he did bcuz if she had won the comp initially she wouldn’t have had that info.  Also, if Tyler was dq’d on the spot and it came down to Haleigh and Kaycee maybe Kaycee could’ve held on, u just will never know...

1 hour ago, JustJanToo said:

No, I am assuming that no one noticed.   But if BB tried to fix it = as BBwatchr suggested = the other houseguests would know what happened.   

And again, I don't think that Tyler cheated, it was just a BB mistake at not catching it.  But ... that's not to say the Jury and people not in his alliance would see it that way if they found out. 

Angela knows or suspects something is up. She read the rules that they made her re-dub the middle of later to remove the 1-foot rule. She also commented when Tyler struggled to stay on his disc when his feet slipped off for a whole half turn of the contraption.  But since it benefits them, she's not saying anything.  But it will be completely clear to Hay when she gets out that she was robbed (literally) of an HoH that could have changed her and Scottie's complete game by production.

4 hours ago, CLG92416 said:

I’m a Tyler fan,

Exactly. I'm not even a Haleigh fan but she was clearly robbed of a hard fought win, and had to battle almost 20 minutes longer in a hard comp because of the DQ not being called on Tyler.  She deserves to be given the chance she earned.

Also, BTW, the FCC literally categorizes Big Brother as a "for entertainment only" program, “similar to professional wrestling in that it is a pseudo-contest in which the outcome is fully, or in some measure, predetermined.”  This is the FCC's exact words. So treat the show as seriously as professional wrestling and realize production is pushing storylines and characters, rules be damned.

35 minutes ago, BBLurkerPlus said:

Also, BTW, the FCC literally categorizes Big Brother as a "for entertainment only" program, “similar to professional wrestling in that it is a pseudo-contest in which the outcome is fully, or in some measure, predetermined.”  This is the FCC's exact words. So treat the show as seriously as professional wrestling and realize production is pushing storylines and characters, rules be damned.

You are correct.  There was an image of the letter the FCC sent as a reply to complaints, I can't find it, but I had it.

Just now, morty said:

You are correct.  There was an image of the letter the FCC sent as a reply to complaints, I can't find it, but I had it.

I can post it, if you want.  Lots of complaints about EvelDick's behavior to the FCC (people were apparently more upset than I knew at the time) and the FCC keeps tiredly quoting that it's like pro wrestling legally, not a game show. 

Here's my penny thought.  We all know Big Brother is a production, an improv play of sorts, however when an error is made like this that could affect the outcome, something should be done.  Immediately we think how this has hurt Haleigh's game, but it has changed the game of every player in the house.  They are not playing this game for the stipend they receive, ultimately they are playing for a substantial amount of money. To not correct this is very irresponsible.  

Here's my 1/2 penny thought....I don't think for one hot second that Angela does not know exactly what happened.  And if she knows, Tyler most certainly does.  If any other house guest had noticed that slip they would have pointed it out.  Angela cheated to benefit Tyler, and if he knows it, she has power over him in this game that is unprecedented.  How can he ever put her on the block, knowing she could tell what happened.

I'm not sure how the feeds work after a competition is completed. Is the "broadcast" version of Angela reading the rules different than one of the feeds that you get to watch?  If it is the only version and you assume it was edited to cover up the actual rules, why would they include the Tyler violation when they made the feeds available? 

IOW, why not cover up the violation that led to the rule "edit" if you have the ability to remix everything prior to making it available?  Doesn't make sense. 

If BB has never gone back to the tapes to change a ruling on the field I don't see this as reason enough to change things now.

11 minutes ago, CuriousGeorge said:

I'm not sure how the feeds work after a competition is completed. Is the "broadcast" version of Angela reading the rules different than one of the feeds that you get to watch?  If it is the only version and you assume it was edited to cover up the actual rules, why would they include the Tyler violation when they made the feeds available? 

IOW, why not cover up the violation that led to the rule "edit" if you have the ability to remix everything prior to making it available?  Doesn't make sense. 

If BB has never gone back to the tapes to change a ruling on the field I don't see this as reason enough to change things now.

The live feeds weren't turned on until AFTER the competition started, so the full rule reading over the PA by production (and the "any questions" section) plus the short version by Angela were not heard on the live feeds.  All we got is what Angela read (and re-dubbed) for the broadcast and the reference to the rule by KC and Scottie.

The actual rule being broken WAS shown live on the feeds and captured, so CBS can't go back and erase that. They chose the second-best thing - cover up the reading of the rule about you must have 1 foot on the disc at all times.  It was a bad coverup on many levels.  Hay was robbed of an HoH she fought hard for and won based on the rules.

That's it! Cancel the show! When does Survivor start?

Seriously folks? BB most likely will do nothing and they shouldn't. Nothing's perfect. Where are all the punishments for napping or sleeping past 10? Or eating food you shouldn't when you a have not? Or taking hot shows? Or the constant singing? Or kissing other HGs while their sleeping? Or molesting other HG's with an ice cream scoop? I'm sure it was something they missed on the spot and it happens. A noted above, by BBLurker, this whole thing is for entertainment purposes. 

2 hours ago, MonkeyGirl44 said:

I don’t think that the split second of feet off gave him any advantage, in fact it was probably harder to hold on.  However he maybe did technically accodentally break the rules.  The problem is u can’t just make Haleigh HOH bcuz if she was truthful in saying she would’ve never nominated Tyler, that may have changed now after seeing Tyler’s nominations.  So, that is unfair to him if she would now do different noms based on what he did bcuz if she had won the comp initially she wouldn’t have had that info.  Also, if Tyler was dq’d on the spot and it came down to Haleigh and Kaycee maybe Kaycee could’ve held on, u just will never know...

This probably sums it up best. 

1 minute ago, CuriousGeorge said:

I was confusing a Veto comp, where you don't get a live feed, with an HoH comp, where you do. I see what you are saying now. Thanks, BBlurkerPlus

Do you have the ability to dig up an earlier rule reading from the previous competition you posted on the Sunday thread?

I put up video from BB17 Episode 30 where Liz also states the 1 foot rule.  It's definitely a thing.

26 minutes ago, CuriousGeorge said:

I saw that video, I was curious if you can also put up the video, if it is available, of the host for the BB17 competition reading the rules to the competitors. 

They didn't show host reading rules on the broadcast or live feed of BB17 or BB18, AFAIK.  Julie only summarized a couple rules live for BB17 (S17E29) and BB18.  All we have is the houseguests referring to the rules in their DR, but they all agree, so the rule is clear.  Realvegas also confirmed that's been the rule all along.

46 minutes ago, BBLurkerPlus said:

The live feeds weren't turned on until AFTER the competition started, so the full rule reading over the PA by production (and the "any questions" section) plus the short version by Angela confusion not heard on the live feeds.  All we got is what Angela read (and re-dubbed) for the broadcast and the reference to the rule by KC and Scottie.

This confusion is my fault, I misquoted BBLurker.

I’m a Tyler fan and believe he is playing an amazing game. However his hoh competition was a blatant error. He may not realize it but WE fans saw it. He already had an 8 week power which was huge! But in fairness ,this is just a game BUT there is a lot of money involved and I believe Haleigh should have won. That being said, if you won’t remove his HOH, the least we fans expect is Hailey should not be on the block and should be HOH next week. Also Tyler should be a HN.

CBS needs to go back and give Hailey the title of HOH. It is clear it was an over site, but it would be totally sad to see them just let this situation go. To redo the comp is not fair either. They each suffered injuries from the original comp and with this footage it is very clear unknowingly Tyler messed up. In the real world and you make mistakes, they are fixed and corrected. As a fan from season 1 till now, when there  been a question as to comps...they always check the footage and correct it. So I have nothing against Tyler, but Hailey clearly won. She can even once seeing the footage herself will have a good reason to bring legal counsel in. Even though it is a game.....game rules have to be followed! CBS, do the right thing and fix your oversite. Otherwise this show will appear as a rigged reality show!!

7 hours ago, JustJanToo said:

Then again ... I'm a bit naive about a lot of what goes on with BB production!   :rolleyes:   No idea if they caught this and then did a cover-up or just screwed up.

The problem with declaring Haleigh the winner is no one can predict what would have happened if Tyler had been called out and dropped 2nd.  Would the others in his alliance fight harder? 

IMO,  the only FAIR way to settle this would be  a re-set of this week.   The problem with that is it would throw off the # in the house.   Two double evictions?   A TRIPLE eviction?  They would have to do something to make the HG #s come out right at the end of the show.

Hopefully they will come up with something to make this right.

I don't agree with making Haleigh HOH automatically (for my reasons above) but I do agree with your last sentence about both of their games being negatively affected.  Whoever goes to Jury next will let everyone know that Tyler "cheated" and that will hurt any jury votes.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with this screw-up, how CBS handles it.  Coughing up the $$ to both of them is an excellent idea!  

They could do a reset week. Also remove JC for his inappropriate behavior. My opinion .. Even though Haleigh and Ty said they aren't threatened by JC, is it "right" to allow him to continue to vie for the prise money?? Rejecting JC and having a reset would eliminate a triple eviction others are talking about.