Big Brother General Discussion

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Roli said:

:D  I loved him dearly.  He was my best friend.  

Here he is on one of our daily walks.  

image.png.1c08d8bc5041a4144d88d99e01a3e6ff.png

There ya go. The first pic looked scary. I love dogs (and cats). When ya love 'em they become family and it's always painful to part.

Just now, WOC said:

There ya go. The first pic looked scary. I love dogs (and cats). When ya love 'em they become family and it's always painful to part.

We had an awesome groomer who came to the house a couple of times a year and spent a few hours grooming him.  Expensive, but worth it.  She was great with him.

He was a guard dog in a construction equipment yard for the first seven years of his life before we brought him to our house.  He was a challenge, but our daily walks made all the difference in the world.  He was great with me, but I had to vigilant when anyone else was around.  I just could never be completely sure he would forget is guard dog ways.  We never had an incident. He's been gone a couple of years.  

7 minutes ago, HeleneL said:

Lol, he's beautiful.  Looks like a big teddy bear that stole the fox's tail.

He was pretty proud of that tail.  :)

On this particular day, he was trying to convince me to go down a trail that I didn't want to go down because I didn't think it was safe.  He thought if he flirted enough I would give in.  I did not give in.  But don't get me wrong.  He was spoiled rotten.  But of course all of my guys were spoiled rotten, and worth it.  

59 minutes ago, straykat said:

Love Danes! I had two. One passed last August. Broke my heart.

Yep they sure do and never live long enough.  Had 6 throughout the years.  These two rescues I got on the same day from a lady in Boston.  Brindle was 6 years old, had been in a crate most of her life and mistreated. Fawn was 4 months old.  That was a challenge but although they are gentle giants, they would have seriously harmed someone to protect me.  I miss them dearly.

27 minutes ago, straykat said:

Update page: Feeds back. Josh "Houseguests, congratulations. There will be no Have-Nots this week, except for Elena who got the Extention chip last week. Everyone cheers. 

:hahohi: Elena still on slop!

Now we'll never hear the end of her saying she's too skinny.  Forgot about her getting that extension lol.

2 minutes ago, HeleneL said:

Yep they sure do and never live long enough.  Had 6 throughout the years.  These two rescues I got on the same day from a lady in Boston.  Brindle was 6 years old, had been in a crate most of her life and mistreated. Fawn was 4 months old.  That was a challenge but although they are gentle giants, they would have seriously harmed someone to protect me.  I miss them dearly.

Even six years old is pretty old for a Great Dane, right?  How long did Brindle live?

21 hours ago, Roli said:

He was pretty proud of that tail.  :)

On this particular day, he was trying to convince me to go down a trail that I didn't want to go down because I didn't think it was safe.  He thought if he flirted enough I would give in.  I did not give in.  But don't get me wrong.  He was spoiled rotten.  But of course all of my guys were spoiled rotten, and worth it. 

This is Emma the young one trying to see if she can sneak away that rawhide from Lexi by going behind the cushion.

Edited by HeleneL
Removed the image

Just now, HeleneL said:

This is Emma the young one trying to see if she can sneak away that rawhide from Lexi by going behind the cushion.

59862c4493637_LexiandEmma1.jpg.3de23a78cf87948f6c03617c03126ef1.jpg

How cute!  

I have a "granddog" who is very tall, and I think he probably has some Great Dane in him.  Extremely intelligent.  

8 minutes ago, Roli said:

Even six years old is pretty old for a Great Dane, right?  How long did Brindle live?

They both lived to 9 years but had to be euthanized because the older one had an embolism and rear legs paralyzed.  I still kept her for two weeks supporting her coz I thought it was arthritis.  The younger one had similar problem and also had to be supported to get up but could walk unsteadily.  She also became totally incontinent so I didn't let it prolong.

5 minutes ago, HeleneL said:

They both lived to 9 years but had to be euthanized because the older one had an embolism and rear legs paralyzed.  I still kept her for two weeks supporting her coz I thought it was arthritis.  The younger one had similar problem and also had to be supported to get up but could walk unsteadily.  She also became totally incontinent so I didn't let it prolong.

That had to be so difficult.  I'm so sorry.  You must have been a great "mom" for them to get to 9 years old.  

2 minutes ago, Roli said:

That had to be so difficult.  I'm so sorry.  You must have been a great "mom" for them to get to 9 years old.  

Yeah they take a big chunk of you away.   Lexi was 4 months shy of her 10th BD and Emma 2 months shy of it.  BTW  that loveseat was hers lol, not my couch.  They each had one for their beds.

2 minutes ago, HeleneL said:

Yeah they take a big chunk of you away.   Lexi was 4 months shy of her 10th BD and Emma 2 months shy of it.  BTW  that loveseat was hers lol, not my couch.  They each had one for their beds.

Yeah, my husband was adamant when our first dog came to live with us that he wasn't going to be allowed on the furniture.  Great rule.  Lasted until he wasn't looking.  :D  After that, he didn't even try to enforce that rule.  

41 minutes ago, HeleneL said:

Lol, he's beautiful.  Looks like a big teddy bear that stole the fox's tail.

He is beautiful! I had a mix-samoy, golden retriever and Eskimo. She was mostly all white with a little brown and she had the same tail. Hard to maintain and she got shaved down once a year, the shedding was brutal. Don't think a day goes by that I don't think about her.