Donny Thompson (Week 9) - nominated + Team America (Juror #4) - EVICTED Aug. 28

Tritledee

Those in the BB fan base that see him as this year's ridiculously religiously supported 'nice guy' when in their view he's done very little. the most, truly see him as a boring floater brilliant tactician. Both groups have amazingly corrupted distorted views but both are certain that their perspective is rational and a true reflection of reality. Watching these groups flail about with perspectives that run counter to reality is one of the few interesting things left to watch in BB16.

I normally would not do that but this "the fans don't see how great Donny really is" diatribe is really getting old. The fans do not have to like Donny. They do not have to cheer for him. They do not have to hate the other players. And the fans do not have to make up excuses for why he's been on the bottom the whole game. It's BB and they are playing for half a million dollars. I expect people to employ all modes of strategy to make it to the end, including emotional, psychological, group think, shunning and deceitfulness. Donny hasn't been subjected to any treatment that hasn't already been done to other players in other seasons. In fact, considering he has been on the side of the opposition for the whole season, I would say his treatment has been better than the opposition in most seasons.

Does it suck for Donny and his fans that he ended up being left out of the BS. Yes. Was it wrong. NO. Luck of the draw is a fact of life in the BB house and in real life. Somehow you have to find a way to overcome your misfortune. Some times you do and some times you don't. But, fans don't have to feel sorry for you and hate everyone else just because real life or BB life has been unfair. Donny got a raw deal, but he has done a poor job of adapting to the situation and overcoming the odds. The game is not over and the odds are worst now than ever, if he can't overcome, he will go to the jury house just like everyone else that could not overcome. 

I think all the Donny fans would enjoy the season a lot more if they stuck to critiquing the game and not the fans.      

You've proven my point nicely. HGs see other HGs through filters and obviously fans also see the game through filters. I completely understand that you're not being malicious or disingenuous in you view of Donny. I agree that the view that you have stated here repeatedly IS your actual view of him. Like I said, it's a view that provides one of the very few interesting aspects this game has left. (For me, it's a sad commentary on this season that the fan's points of view has come to offer more interest that the HG's gameplay.)

Personally, I'm not really much of a Donny fan but it peeks my curiosity as I see that any pushback on the notion that he has not played the game causes some to convulse and spasm. Do I think he is anything beyond a slightly above average player. No. Do I think that it is obvious that he is playing a better game than you & others do? Yes. Do I think that your are missing his game? Yes. Do I believe there are any really good players this season? No. I don't really have a dog in this race, but you seem unhappy that I don't agree with your view that Donny is barely playing the game. I find that interesting too.

There does seem to be a Donny distortion field at play. He's had quite an effect on HGs and Fans with the former seeing him as a ninja and the latter not seeing his game at all. Interesting.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those in the BB fan base that see him as this year's ridiculously religiously supported 'nice guy' when in their view he's done very little. the most, truly see him as a boring floater brilliant tactician. Both groups have amazingly corrupted distorted views but both are certain that their perspective is rational and a true reflection of reality. Watching these groups flail about with perspectives that run counter to reality is one of the few interesting things left to watch in BB16.

I normally would not do that but this "the fans don't see how great Donny really is" diatribe is really getting old. The fans do not have to like Donny. They do not have to cheer for him. They do not have to hate the other players. And the fans do not have to make up excuses for why he's been on the bottom the whole game. It's BB and they are playing for half a million dollars. I expect people to employ all modes of strategy to make it to the end, including emotional, psychological, group think, shunning and deceitfulness. Donny hasn't been subjected to any treatment that hasn't already been done to other players in other seasons. In fact, considering he has been on the side of the opposition for the whole season, I would say his treatment has been better than the opposition in most seasons.

Does it suck for Donny and his fans that he ended up being left out of the BS. Yes. Was it wrong. NO. Luck of the draw is a fact of life in the BB house and in real life. Somehow you have to find a way to overcome your misfortune. Some times you do and some times you don't. But, fans don't have to feel sorry for you and hate everyone else just because real life or BB life has been unfair. Donny got a raw deal, but he has done a poor job of adapting to the situation and overcoming the odds. The game is not over and the odds are worst now than ever, if he can't overcome, he will go to the jury house just like everyone else that could not overcome. 

I think all the Donny fans would enjoy the season a lot more if they stuck to critiquing the game and not the fans.      

I'm still not sure why any one cares what any one else (fans/boards/Morty's) thinks about a HG. Most of us state our opinions about the HGs, but do not question other posters opinions.

I don't find it all that important to have everyone think like I do or agree with me all the time.  I find it even less important to analyze "the fans."

I'm still not sure why any one cares what any one else (fans/boards/Morty's) thinks about a HG. Most of us state our opinions about the HGs, but do not question other posters opinions.

I don't find it all that important to have everyone think like I do or agree with me all the time.  I find it even less important to analyze "the fans."

We each seek different things out of BB and Mortys. As we all know, BB is a game that gives us a peek into the characters and abilities of people playing a game in isolation, but the fans are also a part of this little social experiment. The players and the viewers are inextricably knotted together in this summer experience. The HGs affect our enjoyment of the game and we affect their game. We choose Have-Not foods, the AF, the AP's and the tasks they are asked to perform. The HGs are extremely aware of those watching them and are wary of the reactions to their in game behaviors. That is a key way in which we fans are wedded to these players. We may even get a vote at the end. We're part of this in a very real way and both groups are entertaining and interesting in their own ways.

Some aren't interested in the half of this experiment that happens outside of the house, I am. That's fine... to each his own. But I do find it interesting that the HGs think Donny is a mastermind ninja of a player which is in direct opposition to so many on the outside that think he doesn't actually play the game at all. Why the great divide in takes on Donny? Why do some have such a negative visceral reaction to comments by some that are supportive of Donny? What makes him such a divisive character?

To a much lesser extent this reaction also happens at the mention of Frankie, Derrick, & Caleb, but the reaction to Donny is the most severe that I've seen in all of my years reading this board. The only one that came close was Jordan. Some folks just detested her and would immediately cover any positive/supportive post about her with a post mocking and ridiculing her.

For many, any mention of 'nice' has become detestable on Mortys, while the worst in our characters is savored. Jordan is nice, so it became the mission of some to chop away at her. It's always been a curiosity of mine to understand what would drive a person to react like that. It was a powerful gut reaction and a strange social phenomena to say the least.

As I said, this isn't a new phenomena, for some, any mention of a HG that suggests that the HG is a good sort has always been quickly met with passive-aggressive ridicule. It's an odd and interesting reaction, don'tcha think? Christine on the inside and several on the forums have made it clear that Donny's essential characteristic of being a nice guy is bothersome to her and them. Again, both odd & interesting.

Like many here, I've always been a people watcher. I've enjoyed reading Mortys posters over the years as much as I've enjoyed watching the HGs as both groups say the most baffling & intriguing things. Keep in mind, this experiment truly does exist on both the inside the house and outside it's walls. This is the Web folks, we're all part of the show.

Seriously Trip - This season is the nicest the forum posters have ever been. There have been some really wild seasons and contention with the posters over the years.

I think Season 8 was the worst and there were people banned/suspened and giving mucho warning points that season.

This season is the summer of the nicest posters.....

:grouphug:

BRAVO.

Thanks joystick.  This post is spot on.

Some of it might have to do with donny coming to the house looking like someone from duck dynasty and sounding like gomer pyle.  We own a home in the mountains of western north carolina and even the mountain folks don't sound like that, particularly.  Not sure where he is from, specifically.  Some people like duck dynasty, some people hate duck dynasty.  Be that as it may and I leave it to the individual to question why they do or do not like donny.  He seems a really nice man to me and nice people seem in short shrift on reality shows so I find him refreshing; only to a point, to be honest here.  I have yet to read why exactly people here don't like him except for his game play or lack thereof.

I neither like nor dislike him as a person.  I don't find him entertaining on the show and that is really all it is about for me.  I have no doubt he would make a great neighbour or coworker etc in real life, but he is not my cup of tea as far as BB players go.  I haven't seen anyone anywhere say they actually don't like HIM and, in fact, on social media most are very careful to say that while they like him as a person, they aren't a fan of him as a player.  He's a very non-offensive person overall and not much to dislike.

Seriously Trip - This season is the nicest the forum posters have ever been. There have been some really wild seasons and contention with the posters over the years.

I think Season 8 was the worst and there were people banned/suspened and giving mucho warning points that season.

This season is the summer of the nicest posters.....

:grouphug:

Speak for yourself................

Eyes_in_the_dark_by_Darkness_M.gif

I neither like nor dislike him as a person.  I don't find him entertaining on the show and that is really all it is about for me.  I have no doubt he would make a great neighbour or coworker etc in real life, but he is not my cup of tea as far as BB players go.  I haven't seen anyone anywhere say they actually don't like HIM and, in fact, on social media most are very careful to say that while they like him as a person, they aren't a fan of him as a player.  He's a very non-offensive person overall and not much to dislike.

Exactly. I suspect Donny's personality is more suited for a game like TAR. It is more about completing task rather than companionship, team building and deceit. 

what was the conversation about Donny's brother and him having a good story?    did not see anything on that only that Cody mentioned it and said that he had a good story because of it -

If I am not mistaken, on BBAD Donny was telling Cody that his brother was born with two deformed arms and that one of them was completely useless.  Donny said that in spite of that, his brother can do almost everything that normal people can do, including driving a car.  Donny's brother is a teacher by profession and is loved by all of his students. Donny was explaining that not only does his brother have a high IQ, he can do many things better with his feet than most people can do with their hands. Donny went on and on about how proud he was of his brother because his brother never let his condition keep him from doing the things that he wanted to do.

Guest 6Borders

We each seek different things out of BB and Mortys. As we all know, BB is a game that gives us a peek into the characters and abilities of people playing a game in isolation, but the fans are also a part of this little social experiment. The players and the viewers are inextricably knotted together in this summer experience. The HGs affect our enjoyment of the game and we affect their game. We choose Have-Not foods, the AF, the AP's and the tasks they are asked to perform. The HGs are extremely aware of those watching them and are wary of the reactions to their in game behaviors. That is a key way in which we fans are wedded to these players. We may even get a vote at the end. We're part of this in a very real way and both groups are entertaining and interesting in their own ways.

Some aren't interested in the half of this experiment that happens outside of the house, I am. That's fine... to each his own. But I do find it interesting that the HGs think Donny is a mastermind ninja of a player which is in direct opposition to so many on the outside that think he doesn't actually play the game at all. Why the great divide in takes on Donny? Why do some have such a negative visceral reaction to comments by some that are supportive of Donny? What makes him such a divisive character?

To a much lesser extent this reaction also happens at the mention of Frankie, Derrick, & Caleb, but the reaction to Donny is the most severe that I've seen in all of my years reading this board. The only one that came close was Jordan. Some folks just detested her and would immediately cover any positive/supportive post about her with a post mocking and ridiculing her.

For many, any mention of 'nice' has become detestable on Mortys, while the worst in our characters is savored. Jordan is nice, so it became the mission of some to chop away at her. It's always been a curiosity of mine to understand what would drive a person to react like that. It was a powerful gut reaction and a strange social phenomena to say the least.

As I said, this isn't a new phenomena, for some, any mention of a HG that suggests that the HG is a good sort has always been quickly met with passive-aggressive ridicule. It's an odd and interesting reaction, don'tcha think? Christine on the inside and several on the forums have made it clear that Donny's essential characteristic of being a nice guy is bothersome to her and them. Again, both odd & interesting.

Like many here, I've always been a people watcher. I've enjoyed reading Mortys posters over the years as much as I've enjoyed watching the HGs as both groups say the most baffling & intriguing things. Keep in mind, this experiment truly does exist on both the inside the house and outside it's walls. This is the Web folks, we're all part of the show.

I'm leaving the entire post as is but initially responding to the Jordan (apparently vs Donny) part.  Jordan was "nice" but she was also recruited (and recruited a 2nd time when she didn't show up for the first "paved way" audition to the show); didn't know the show at all;  she was pulled along and sheltered by Jeff and she won over Natalie (who would not vote against Gnat).  Jordan never had any pressure on her to do much of anything the first season except look cute & clueless (no brainer on either account).

When Jordan came back w/Jeff for newbies vs vets and Jeff was evicted "little sweet Jordan" showed her true colors (poor baby never faced anything like this before) and was literally dragged away screaming at Shelly (who was just trying to play the game and voted what she felt was best for her game, and whose family received death threats from "the fans" for doing such a vile thing as voting out Jeff).  Honestly (and just my opinion) I think that's when "what the house wants" started to really be the trend and why these people are so boring, predictable and scared of each other!

Ok, so we have Donny playing the game (or not, depending on your view). Since this is a Donny thread I will stay with Donny now.  He's  a nice guy (good), he's a huge BB fan (better), and he has a BB brain (best).  He's playing the game with the best cards he's been handed and he's trying to play the game the best he can.  He has no Jeff, no sister of a pop star & Twitter friends, no Boys in Blue or Soccer fans to support him (his parents don't even watch)..he's just Donny.  He tried out for the show, he was not recruited!   He's voted with the house, he's voted against Team America with the gamble of furthering his game vs an extra 5K (something Derrick and Frankie were perfectly willing to let him take the rap for and they would never do themselves) and he's doing it for Donny! 

Since Derrick, Frankie and the rest are all doing their little cut-throat nasy crap for themselves, why is it not ok for Donny to be campaigning for himself and trying to save his own ass in the game...just because he's trying to be nice???

Real cowboy, hmmph!  I hated Cowboy for what he did to his own sister Nakomis on BB5. Sure he had an alliance with someone he met 12 weeks ago, but come on, blood should be thicker than water.  Could you imagine if your sibling had an opportunity to help you both win first and second place on Big Brother, but chose not to, because of misplayed loyalty to some alliance member that he just met less than 80 days ago? Wouldn't that royally piss you off?  There would no way we could ever be "family".   I would actually disown that person and make sure that our other family members would turn their back on him as well.  As the final 4 veto winner, he refused to use the veto on his sister, thereby eliminating her from the competition.  Had he used the veto on Nakomis, Diane would have been eliminated instead.  Then as the final 3,  he and his sister could have fought Drew for the final HOH. Two against one may have given them the odds and a good possibility of eliminating Drew in the end. As it happened, Drew won the final HOH and chose Cowboy for the final 2 and then Drew went on to win BB5.    

I do not personally know the man or his family, but I will never forgive him for that, LOL! 

Yes, Donny waited a little too long to really start playing. However, he also thought he was in a strong 3-person alliance with TA. But after Derrick himself puts you up...I personally like Donny. Does he deserve to win? Not for game play. Would I like for him to win? Yes dammit. I'm tired of people I think are stupid & vain winning. But, I will still continue to watch no matter what.

The conversation that Donny had last night with Derrick was indicative of what I and others have been saying that he should have been doing all along. First off, over the years, lots of BB is played after midnight. Lots of deals get done at 3 and 4 in the morning. If you are not willing to stay up, you will miss out on a lot of opportunity. Last night, Donny made his case. He presented Derrick with different reasons for why they should keep him, from making extra money with TA to throwing Nicole under the bus with Operation revolving door.  

I think his best argument would be to play up the TA missions deal. If I was him, I would talk to Derrick and Frankie together and I would promise that if they found a way to keep me for another week, I would throw the next HOH competition. I would tell them that I knew I was a dead man walking and that I was just trying to get another week and another $5000. I would explain that I knew they didn't trust me but I would prove that I could be trusted and by leaving my fate in their hands in throwing the HOH. I don't know whether that will work at this point because Derrick and Frankie would have to walk a fine line if they try to flip the vote at this point. But, in my opinion, that is Donny's best argument and chance to stay.  

Makes sense.  I remember a guy one year (season 3 ?) - Jason Guy - nice, nice, nice.  Everyone adored him.  He never did it for me.  

One big reason for that might be that we don't have that many posters or posts.  It is quiet around these halls.   :drummer:

I think the majority of the old posters are now posting on the Morty Facebook page....I just wish they would use their Morty avi names so I'd recognize who they are....lol

I think the majority of the old posters are now posting on the Morty Facebook page....I just wish they would use their Morty avi names so I'd recognize who they are....lol

I always wished people used their real names here. I am Marty here there and everywhere. Most everyone uses their real names on Facebook.

I still prefer the posting here on the forum then the Facebook page. The posts on Facebook just seem so willy nilly.

You will have 10 posters all starting threads with the same topic such as Cody won POV or whatever.

I always wished people used their real names here. I am Marty here there and everywhere. Most everyone uses their real names on Facebook.

I still prefer the posting here on the forum then the Facebook page. The posts on Facebook just seem so willy nilly.

You will have 10 posters all starting threads with the same topic such as Cody won POV or whatever.

Are you possibly telling me that Snaps is not Ginger's real last name?  Cruz is not my real last name.  People do call me slim because I am tall and........

I was stalked from revealing scant personal info about myself online.  I am so not into social networking.  Sorry.

Me 2...I'm Sue here there and everywhere and my avi has always been my tell.  Me loves Maxine!!  Agree about the fb page, once in awhile if I agree with something I will say so or add too, but the majority of the time I find some of their posts, responses, etc off the wall (so to speak) and arguementative.  But, I am always curious as to who people are from this forum.  I find it a game for me to try to figure out for myself, other than you and few others whos names I have know personally for years,  I really haven't figure many people out :(  Just surmised....lol