Donny Thompson (Week 8) - nominated by Derrick, BotB winner (saved) + Team America

joystiick

Yes good perspective

I would have rooted for Donny if he had tried. He wanted to go to bed early at night and get up in the morning and have his alone time as he calls it . He said he does not like talking. He has said he didn't want to go to people for an alliance that he wanted them to come to him. Just throwing out a few tidbits of observation every now and then is not playing the game. He is only 42. That is pretty young. He should have taken all those on the outside and tried to form and alliance and then drag more in. There is so much he could have done to get himself in the game but his game play is to just sit back and be the nice guy they won't evict.

ITA. I like Donny and I understand that he is in a tough spot. That is why I thought he made the right decision when he refused the TA challenge to call someone out at the eviction. However, at some point, you have to decide that sitting around waiting to get voted out is not the way you win. You have to go on a campaign to get people on your side. You have to show them the strategy that will improve their chances of winning. Weeks ago, he knew who was aligned, who was calling the shots and what position people were within the alliance. I don't think he ever really made a serious effort to crack the alliance and drive a wedge between them. He basically just tagged along with Haden and Nicole when Zach was the target. He didn't really put in any work. I like Donny, but IMO, he hasn't really played the game very well. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can agree to disagree where Donny is concerned because we all look at the game differently and we all like different game play.  I personally think Donny has played the game.  It's all in the perspective that you look at it from.  Donny has won 4 vetos and an HOH so I do not know how that equates to not playing the game. For Christine to tell Nicole that her and Cody hate his guts is a little strong I am not quite sure what he possibly could have done for that to come out of her mouth.  The reason that some may not like him is the reason I do.  I hope he wins HOH tonight simply because I don't like anyone left in this house and they said that they were not going to wake him up because maybe he didn't hear all of the sayings and because Frankie and Caleb think there is no way that he or Victoria could win.

Yes good perspective

I would have rooted for Donny if he had tried. He wanted to go to bed early at night and get up in the morning and have his alone time as he calls it . He said he does not like talking. He has said he didn't want to go to people for an alliance that he wanted them to come to him. Just throwing out a few tidbits of observation every now and then is not playing the game. He is only 42. That is pretty young. He should have taken all those on the outside and tried to form and alliance and then drag more in. There is so much he could have done to get himself in the game but his game play is to just sit back and be the nice guy they won't evict.

Agreed.  He isn't playing at all as far as I am concerned...  Or it is the "sit on your rear and do absolutely nothing strategy", if you will.  It can get you a reasonable distance in the game and that is what is happening here, as he is seen as less of a threat than Nicole, who actually is trying.  There are tons of things he could have chosen to do, but he chose not to. 

ITA. I like Donny and I understand that he is in a tough spot. That is why I thought he made the right decision when he refused the TA challenge to call someone out at the eviction. However, at some point, you have to decide that sitting around waiting to get voted out is not the way you win. You have to go on a campaign to get people on your side. You have to show them the strategy that will improve their chances of winning. Weeks ago, he knew who was aligned, who was calling the shots and what position people were within the alliance. I don't think he ever really made a serious effort to crack the alliance and drive a wedge between them. He basically just tagged along with Haden and Nicole when Zach was the target. He didn't really put in any work. I like Donny, but IMO, he hasn't really played the game very well. 

Exactly.

Yes good perspective

Historically, not every HOH room has been a community bedroom and and because of that, it offered alone time to figure things out. Consider that Dr Will, Dan and others also set aside alone time. Each did it in his/her own way and at his/her own time. 

Donny’s approach doesn’t just give him time to work things out in private, it also keeps him out of the nonsense that gets so many of the HG’s in trouble. He loses some conniving time but his approach has the benefit that the early morning time he spent with HGs like Brittany and Hayden was unobserved by the BS/Detonators and therefore much of his conniving time was under the radar. And that is valuable in a house full of paranoid 20 somethings.

Dr Will didn’t really talk much more than Donny, but one difference is that Dr Will had good looks and a natural charm to protect him. Cody is an emotional mess but his good looks protect him. Cody talks constantly, but strategy-wise he’s a zero. Sometimes leaving what is on your mind unsaid is by far the wisest choice. The fastest talker or the HG that speaks the most is rarely the winner(Mike Boogie), but the one that chooses his/her words carefully usually does better than most(Dr Will).

How many of the others have found themselves evicted because they talked too much? How about almost everyone evicted could point to saying something stupid or saying something to the wrong HG. Being careful with your words can be an asset in this game.

I disagree with your notion that he didn’t want to go to people for an alliance. He approached both Brittany and Hayden. He also put out feelers to Zach and Caleb at various times when he saw cracks developing in their trust of their alliance. Brit ignored him. Hayden began to move closer to him. Neither Brit nor Hayden made those initial approaches. Donny did. But, that said, the layout of the game and the personalities of the HGs made approaching others more dangerous than usual. Going to Derrick, Cody, Frankie, Christine, Caleb, Zach, or Amber(for much of the game), would have been a sure path to instant eviction. Jocasta, and Pao were too weak to be of much use… so his choice was Brit and Hayden. He tried to use AP as a tool to create something with Frankie and Derrick but he figured them out too.

He threw out much more than mere tidbits. He laid out the alliances and the power centers of those alliances. This kind of information is normally critically valuable in this game. But this year’s crop is too immature to pick up on the value of the info he gave them.

6 of the players are 23 or younger and another 6 are under 30… Donny is the only HG over 40. Most would admit that the maturity level of the average 20 something is very very different from the average 40 something. 

Many of the outcasts didn’t even realize they were outcasts and as a result they were loath to move far from the cool people. Like I said, Jacosta and Pao were too weak. Blue was a nut. Brit & Hayden thought they were in with the in crowd.  And Nicole believed she was already aligned with Christine. 

None of outcasts with the exception of Hayden fully understood the value of his information and he realized that too late to be of use. In failing to do so, Brit and Hayden found their way out the door. So, who exactly was there to align with that could counteract the power of a day-2  8 person alliance or even a 5 person alliance? 

I think you may have missed his game because of your annoyance at the fans on some sites who have been far too fervent in their 'protection' of him. His game has been much more than sitting back and being a nice guy.

Historically, not every HOH room has been a community bedroom and and because of that, it offered alone time to figure things out. Consider that Dr Will, Dan and others also set aside alone time. Each did it in his/her own way and at his/her own time. 

Donny’s approach doesn’t just give him time to work things out in private, it also keeps him out of the nonsense that gets so many of the HG’s in trouble. He loses some conniving time but his approach has the benefit that the early morning time he spent with HGs like Brittany and Hayden was unobserved by the BS/Detonators and therefore much of his conniving time was under the radar. And that is valuable in a house full of paranoid 20 somethings.

Dr Will didn’t really talk much more than Donny, but one difference is that Dr Will had good looks and a natural charm to protect him. Cody is an emotional mess but his good looks protect him. Cody talks constantly, but strategy-wise he’s a zero. Sometimes leaving what is on your mind unsaid is by far the wisest choice. The fastest talker or the HG that speaks the most is rarely the winner(Mike Boogie), but the one that chooses his/her words carefully usually does better than most(Dr Will).

How many of the others have found themselves evicted because they talked too much? How about almost everyone evicted could point to saying something stupid or saying something to the wrong HG. Being careful with your words can be an asset in this game.

I disagree with your notion that he didn’t want to go to people for an alliance. He approached both Brittany and Hayden. He also put out feelers to Zach and Caleb at various times when he saw cracks developing in their trust of their alliance. Brit ignored him. Hayden began to move closer to him. Neither Brit nor Hayden made those initial approaches. Donny did. But, that said, the layout of the game and the personalities of the HGs made approaching others more dangerous than usual. Going to Derrick, Cody, Frankie, Christine, Caleb, Zach, or Amber(for much of the game), would have been a sure path to instant eviction. Jocasta, and Pao were too weak to be of much use… so his choice was Brit and Hayden. He tried to use AP as a tool to create something with Frankie and Derrick but he figured them out too.

He threw out much more than mere tidbits. He laid out the alliances and the power centers of those alliances. This kind of information is normally critically valuable in this game. But this year’s crop is too immature to pick up on the value of the info he gave them.

6 of the players are 23 or younger and another 6 are under 30… Donny is the only HG over 40. Most would admit that the maturity level of the average 20 something is very very different from the average 40 something. 

Many of the outcasts didn’t even realize they were outcasts and as a result they were loath to move far from the cool people. Like I said, Jacosta and Pao were too weak. Blue was a nut. Brit & Hayden thought they were in with the in crowd.  And Nicole believed she was already aligned with Christine. 

None of outcasts with the exception of Hayden fully understood the value of his information and he realized that too late to be of use. In failing to do so, Brit and Hayden found their way out the door. So, who exactly was there to align with that could counteract the power of a day-2  8 person alliance or even a 5 person alliance? 

I think you may have missed his game because of your annoyance at the fans on some sites who have been far too fervent in their 'protection' of him. His game has been much more than sitting back and being a nice guy.

how did you get in my head?  totally agree with all of this -

Not trying to argue or anything, but you laid out a "woe is me" strategy of he should just sit back and wait to get voted out. If I am in the house, I may have been voted out 3 weeks ago because I would not have been sitting back waiting for them to decide when they picked me to go. I would go down fighting. You can't just go to people once or twice and think they will align with you, you have to go to them multiple times. Every week, something changes in the house. you have to get out there and start scheming and selling your strategy all over again. All those weak players may not be studs, but they are votes and they cannot all be on the block at the same time. You have to convince those weak votes that unless you all band together, they are done. Donny has been on the block for about half the game. He is not flying under any radar. He is a target. Instead of trying to keep his head down and begging then not to send him to jury, I think he should have been out there trying to rally the troops.  

Yeah, Dr. Will and Cody is good looking but just because Donny may be the ugly duckling, he has to use whatever gifts god gave him. If you ain't pretty, use your smarts or your ability to talk or promise people that you want put them up if they don't put you up.

I am watching Donny game and everyone else's and all of them with the exception of Frankie has decided that Derrick can have the money. 

Not trying to argue or anything, but you laid out a "woe is me" strategy of he should just sit back and wait to get voted out. If I am in the house, I may have been voted out 3 weeks ago because I would not have been sitting back waiting for them to decide when they picked me to go. I would go down fighting. You can't just go to people once or twice and think they will align with you, you have to go to them multiple times. Every week, something changes in the house. you have to get out there and start scheming and selling your strategy all over again. All those weak players may not be studs, but they are votes and they cannot all be on the block at the same time. You have to convince those weak votes that unless you all band together, they are done. Donny has been on the block for about half the game. He is not flying under any radar. He is a target. Instead of trying to keep his head down and begging then not to send him to jury, I think he should have been out there trying to rally the troops.  

Yeah, Dr. Will and Cody is good looking but just because Donny may be the ugly duckling, he has to use whatever gifts god gave him. If you ain't pretty, use your smarts or your ability to talk or promise people that you want put them up if they don't put you up.

I am watching Donny game and everyone else's and all of them with the exception of Frankie has decided that Derrick can have the money. 

Apparently we just disagree about what is a 'woe is me' strategy and what is not. I also don't agree that he just went to these folks 'once or twice.' Let's also remember that he has won his share of POV's and even an HOH so although he plays a quieter game, it's not a silent game.

Where you see ‘woe is me’, I see patience and subtle persistence. His game is definitely a quieter, more subtle game than most enjoy watching. 

Let’s remember just how unusual a large day-2 alliance really is. How many have there been in the 16 seasons? How many large alliances (say more than 5 HGs) have actually done well regardless of when they started? How many 1st week  5+ person alliances have lasted for more than a few weeks? Not many.

We’d have to admit that it’s longshot that an alliance that large could form that early on and even more of a longshot that it could remain relatively intact for even a full week. So, for Donny and the other outcasts to play the better percentages early on would be a wise strategy.(Normally) 

Even if the remaining HGs didn’t have their own agendas, all he actually had to pick from was Blue, Jacosta, Pao, Brit, Hayden, Nicole, and Victoria to choose from although neither Donny nor any of the outcasts could have known that at the time. Only we knew that.

That’s some pretty slim pickings for alliance forming. Who here would have initially chosen from that list for a 7 – 8 person alliance to battle another 8 person alliance that had most of the competition monsters on it? Would they have been your first choices?

So, even though he couldn’t have known this was his only real choice let’s go down the list.
  • Blue who’s BB16 goal was to create the female version of the Brigade. No way she would have aligned with ‘duck dynasty’ ever, let alone the first week.
  • Jacosta who’s goal was to play without lying or conniving and was powerfully resistant to talking game. No alliance forming possibilities there.
  • Pao who goal was to get a tan, wiggle and giggle. Enough said.
  • Brit who reasonably believed that she still had time to find a trusted partner and time enough to form an alliance. She thought she was in the process of forming one with Derrick and Cody until Devin's crazy crush blew her game up. She would possibly consider Donny at a later time.
  • Hayden who also under the impression that large day 2 alliances are far too rare to take seriously believed that he was making inroads into Frankie and Cody’s game. So, he perceived no need to deal with Donny until it was too late.
  • Nicole thought she had an alliance with Christine. Poor girl… No need to deal with Donny on a game level for her until it was too late.
  • Victoria who was seeking the approval and acceptance from a dominate male. Donny doesn’t meet her dominate male requirements and so no Donny alliance here.

So, Brit, Hayden and Nicole thought that they had the beginnings of their alliances forming and didn’t need Donny…

Blue was gone in a heartbeat. Pao proved herself to be powerless and was gone lickety split. Jacosta put up a forcefield protecting her from gametalk. Victoria is a veritable mess. 

So, as the numbers of outcasts fell to 5 then 4, playing an aggressive game became insanity. Playing a more subtle game; watching and gathering insight into cracks in the powers alliance(s) is a much more reasonable choice to make. Donny made that choice. Seems reasonable to me.

Getting thrown out 3 weeks ago is not a winning strategy to say the least. Hanging in there can be part of one. It doesn’t look good for Donny but then he has been a survivor, hasn’t he? Who knows what could happen… if Hayden and Nicole come back… unlikely as it would be, what would happen if Hayden, Nicole and Donny control the HOH for one week… One thing for certain, we would have a game then.

I am not trying to argue so please do not take this question as that.  We all have a different view and we see things differently.  Who do you think he should have approached more than once?  This year an 8 person alliance was formed on day 2 and anytime anyone opened their mouth they were targeted.  Donny was not liked alot by anyone so I am not sure who would have truly wanted an alliance with him. That is just my observation.

So, am I really the only one that still thinks there is a slight chance that they will find dead bodies under this guys porch? 

The thought certainly never crossed my mind. Donny strikes me as a kind soul. I just want to give him a big ol' hug.

I am not trying to argue so please do not take this question as that.  We all have a different view and we see things differently.  Who do you think he should have approached more than once?  This year an 8 person alliance was formed on day 2 and anytime anyone opened their mouth they were targeted.  Donny was not liked alot by anyone so I am not sure who would have truly wanted an alliance with him. That is just my observation.

Sorry Janis, I had to go somewhere. I don't think you ar trying to argue. This is just a discussion. Something we should have more of without people getting mad.

As far as who Donny should have approached, he should have approached all of them that are on the outside. He should have continually pointed out that they were not in the clique. Donny and the rest of the outsiders have been playing scared the whole game. As soon as they started thinking, if I try to form an alliance, I am going to be voted out, the BS work was done. When Donny won HOH, who did he nominate. He already knew who was running things. Instead, he went with the one strong and one weak player to try to avoid them coming after him if he was dethrone. He seemed to forget that they were already coming after him. He was just trying to make another week. Which I really don't mind if you have an actual strategy. Like I said, things change every week, but, if you don't do anything different from one week to the next, why would think anything was going to be any different from the week before.

So, Donny has made it this far. If the detonators blew up next week, Donny would still be playing to just get to the next week. He would just be a pawn dependent on the mercy of the other players. If somehow, he found a way to make it to the F2, what would his argument be to earn a vote. He hasn't cultivated any relationships other than Jacosta that he could count on for a vote. On game play, he probably loses pretty bad to everyone except Vic. I'm sorry, we will have to disagree because I just don't see where Donny has done anything of any significance in the game. But I still like him. He's a Carolina man.  

Sorry Janis, I had to go somewhere. I don't think you ar trying to argue. This is just a discussion. Something we should have more of without people getting mad.

As far as who Donny should have approached, he should have approached all of them that are on the outside. He should have continually pointed out that they were not in the clique. Donny and the rest of the outsiders have been playing scared the whole game. As soon as they started thinking, if I try to form an alliance, I am going to be voted out, the BS work was done. When Donny won HOH, who did he nominate. He already knew who was running things. Instead, he went with the one strong and one weak player to try to avoid them coming after him if he was dethrone. He seemed to forget that they were already coming after him. He was just trying to make another week. Which I really don't mind if you have an actual strategy. Like I said, things change every week, but, if you don't do anything different from one week to the next, why would think anything was going to be any different from the week before.

So, Donny has made it this far. If the detonators blew up next week, Donny would still be playing to just get to the next week. He would just be a pawn dependent on the mercy of the other players. If somehow, he found a way to make it to the F2, what would his argument be to earn a vote. He hasn't cultivated any relationships other than Jacosta that he could count on for a vote. On game play, he probably loses pretty bad to everyone except Vic. I'm sorry, we will have to disagree because I just don't see where Donny has done anything of any significance in the game. But I still like him. He's a Carolina man.  

The duel HOH essentially forces each HOH to put up at least one weak player. Donny nominated Caleb and Victoria. Nicole was the other HOH and nominated Zach and Jacosta. Both put up a STRONG player with a weak player unlike some of the BS/Det HOH's that put up two weak players.  I'm curious, how are Donny's noms any different from Derrick's noms of Caleb and Jacosta. For me, Derrick's are worse in that the Caleb's nom was completely contrived. A complete sham of a nom.. Caleb was never in danger and he knew it. No courage on Derrick's part with his noms.

There was never really any choice to gather the outcasts into an alliance... by week four, three of the outcasts had been evicted. Remember, for them the game is still in it's early stages and they don't know what we know so the eviction pattern was still unclear to Nicole, Hayden, Victoria and Jacosta. Had the stronger outcasts Brit and Hayden not been picked off before they understood that Donny's assessment was spot on, there might have been a chance to create an alliance to battle the BS/Detonators, but this new alliance still would have been a minority alliance. It's not Donny's fault they didn't listen, it's theirs and they've paid for that mistake.

I would argue that Donny stacks up nicely against Derrick, who most seem to think is doing a good job of playing the game. Donny's won more than Derrick and won some of those contests when he was on the block, which is when it's hardest to do & when it counts the most. Donny won under stress, Derrick has not been tested on the block. The truth is that Derrick has never really been in jeopardy because he was lucky enough to be in a room standing next to an athlete(Cody) when the BS was formed. If he had been chatting with Brittany at the time he would have had to fight for his BB16 life like the rest of the outcasts have, but he tripped over a bit of luck and now he's a 'good' player. 

Derrick has never had to win a POV or die. Derrick has never had to go it alone yet still find a way to survive. Derrick has been safe; he has even had the luxury of knowing that if he was ever to be put on the block that his mega alliance members would protect him. It's far easier to be brilliant or even just good if you aren't ever under any real pressure.

Donny has never really freaked under pressure; Derrick has lost it those few times that he felt some small pressure... think back to when he talked to Brit after Devin spilled the beans on the BS. Derrick's word count went waaaayyy up, he repeated himself and repeated himself and repeated himself about how honest and straight forward he is, and he interrupted far more than he does when not under stress. All signs that the pressure got to him. Donny has remained cool about the game pressures. Both have felt homesick and have lost it in that way, but so have just about all of them.

It looks like we disagree, I think Derrick is a subpar player who is playing with the luxury of safety and Donny is a slightly better than average player, playing against the house. I've got to go now, but thanks for the discussion tonight.

In poker, sometimes you get dealt a straight but most times you get a pair or less. Derrick got dealt a straight and Donny got a pair of deuces. My contention is this, Derrick has tried to come up with a stronger straight, while Donny has accepted that he's stuck with the pair of deuces. I think he has accepted that he cannot win. Devin exposed the BS and when the outsiders had a chance to put up those people, just in case they were still working together, they hedged their bets and ended up allowing another weaker player to get voted out.

Now, anything could happen between now and the final 3, but I really don't think Donny has put himself in a position to take advantage of changes in the game. I really can't say he has played as well as Derrick. I agree that Derrick is really not that good, however, Derrick is clearly in control of his alliance. He really is not on anybodies radar. Derrick is playing for $500,000 and Donny is just playing along.  

Joystiick makes some very good points.  I might have to reassess my opinion of donny's game.  It would not bother me one bit to see derrick win.

Point taken Slim, I will leave it alone and give you time to reassess...lol

Guest 6Borders

I think we can agree to disagree where Donny is concerned because we all look at the game differently and we all like different game play.  I personally think Donny has played the game.  It's all in the perspective that you look at it from.  Donny has won 4 vetos and an HOH so I do not know how that equates to not playing the game. For Christine to tell Nicole that her and Cody hate his guts is a little strong I am not quite sure what he possibly could have done for that to come out of her mouth.  The reason that some may not like him is the reason I do.  I hope he wins HOH tonight simply because I don't like anyone left in this house and they said that they were not going to wake him up because maybe he didn't hear all of the sayings and because Frankie and Caleb think there is no way that he or Victoria could win.

I totally agree.  Donny is just not playing a traditional hard-core game, which I think makes a lot of people feel he's not playing at all.  If you watch and listen to Donny he's picking up information and processing it and he makes a lot of very interesting subtle comments.  I think the biggest problem is he is too humble to go into the DR and tell what his stragedy is or trash talk anyone.  When he needs to get his back up (like refusing that dumb TA mission because it would hurt his game) he does so.

I HOPE he wins the POV!!!!!

Joystiick makes some very good points.  I might have to reassess my opinion of donny's game.  It would not bother me one bit to see derrick win.

Now, THAT gave me a good chuckle with my morning coffee.. Thx

JS and I aren't really all that different in our thinking... I give the tilt to Donny, JS gives it to Derrick, but we both acknowledge that neither is one of the better players when stacked up against players from past seasons.

I haven't been able to find a favorite this season. I'd be happy with Donny going home soon, just as I would be happy with the rest of them heading out this week.

And of course Donny goes to bed early last night right after the HOH room is open. Sleep has always been more important to Donny then trying to secure his safety in the game.

I can't for the life of me figure out what strategy Donny has except keep telling people he is all alone and he quit his job to come on Big Brother and be the nice guy.

I just can't root for that game play. He has chosen to play the game as an outsider from day one. I wish he would just at least try.

The duel HOH essentially forces each HOH to put up at least one weak player. Donny nominated Caleb and Victoria. Nicole was the other HOH and nominated Zach and Jacosta. Both put up a STRONG player with a weak player unlike some of the BS/Det HOH's that put up two weak players.  I'm curious, how are Donny's noms any different from Derrick's noms of Caleb and Jacosta. For me, Derrick's are worse in that the Caleb's nom was completely contrived. A complete sham of a nom.. Caleb was never in danger and he knew it. No courage on Derrick's part with his noms.

There was never really any choice to gather the outcasts into an alliance... by week four, three of the outcasts had been evicted. Remember, for them the game is still in it's early stages and they don't know what we know so the eviction pattern was still unclear to Nicole, Hayden, Victoria and Jacosta. Had the stronger outcasts Brit and Hayden not been picked off before they understood that Donny's assessment was spot on, there might have been a chance to create an alliance to battle the BS/Detonators, but this new alliance still would have been a minority alliance. It's not Donny's fault they didn't listen, it's theirs and they've paid for that mistake.

I would argue that Donny stacks up nicely against Derrick, who most seem to think is doing a good job of playing the game. Donny's won more than Derrick and won some of those contests when he was on the block, which is when it's hardest to do & when it counts the most. Donny won under stress, Derrick has not been tested on the block. The truth is that Derrick has never really been in jeopardy because he was lucky enough to be in a room standing next to an athlete(Cody) when the BS was formed. If he had been chatting with Brittany at the time he would have had to fight for his BB16 life like the rest of the outcasts have, but he tripped over a bit of luck and now he's a 'good' player. 

Derrick has never had to win a POV or die. Derrick has never had to go it alone yet still find a way to survive. Derrick has been safe; he has even had the luxury of knowing that if he was ever to be put on the block that his mega alliance members would protect him. It's far easier to be brilliant or even just good if you aren't ever under any real pressure.

Donny has never really freaked under pressure; Derrick has lost it those few times that he felt some small pressure... think back to when he talked to Brit after Devin spilled the beans on the BS. Derrick's word count went waaaayyy up, he repeated himself and repeated himself and repeated himself about how honest and straight forward he is, and he interrupted far more than he does when not under stress. All signs that the pressure got to him. Donny has remained cool about the game pressures. Both have felt homesick and have lost it in that way, but so have just about all of them.

It looks like we disagree, I think Derrick is a subpar player who is playing with the luxury of safety and Donny is a slightly better than average player, playing against the house. I've got to go now, but thanks for the discussion tonight.

Great points on all posts TripTrey. I think the "woe is me" is perceived by those who do not feel he deserves to win.  Donny is a laid back guy, end of story. If they all had the same personality, we wouldn't watch, so he just adds something new to the mix.  He knew what he was up against from the beginning and had to proceed cautiously, which he did.  If he stays or goes, I have no definitive opinion on either one, but to say he's not playing is an understatement.  He is playing as much as Derrick is, only his mouth doesn't move 100 mph, just his brain does.

To be sure, Donny's game is a more subtle game than the constantly manic scrambling paranoia driven game that most play. One benefit of that bipolar style of game is that it is so much easier to understand for the fans than the more subtle low keyed game. The first is like downing a yard of ale in one swallow and the second is like sipping Merlot or in Donny's case, sipping Boones Farm Apple wine.

In poker, sometimes you get dealt a straight but most times you get a pair or less. Derrick got dealt a straight and Donny got a pair of deuces. My contention is this, Derrick has tried to come up with a stronger straight, while Donny has accepted that he's stuck with the pair of deuces. I think he has accepted that he cannot win. Devin exposed the BS and when the outsiders had a chance to put up those people, just in case they were still working together, they hedged their bets and ended up allowing another weaker player to get voted out.

Now, anything could happen between now and the final 3, but I really don't think Donny has put himself in a position to take advantage of changes in the game. I really can't say he has played as well as Derrick. I agree that Derrick is really not that good, however, Derrick is clearly in control of his alliance. He really is not on anybodies radar. Derrick is playing for $500,000 and Donny is just playing along.  

I'd be interested to see the game played with the hands each is dealt switched.

In that scenario, we may have come to see Donny as the Mastermind of the BS given his observation skills and analytical skills. And from the little we've seen of Derrick under stress, it's apparent that Derrick's scrambling game is less than good. How would we come to look on him in that situation.

I do agree with you, neither is an exceptional player. Switch the cards and the truly good BB players still win.. think Dr Will with either hand dealt.

I'd be interested to see the game played with the hands each is dealt switched.

In that scenario, we may have come to see Donny as the Mastermind of the BS given his observation skills and analytical skills. And from the little we've seen of Derrick under stress, it's apparent that Derrick's scrambling game is less than good. How would we come to look on him in that situation.

I do agree with you, neither is an exceptional player. Switch the cards and the truly good BB players still win.. think Dr Will with either hand dealt.

If the position was switched and Donny would have been drafted into the BS, he would be in a better position, but I don't think he would be controlling what the BS did. If Derrick would have been an outsider, he would probably cry and b!tch more, but I think he would work harder to improve his position in the game. For example, if the position were switched, Victoria would still be on Derrick's side and she would just be waiting for Derrick to get in a position where both of them could do something. She would not be Donny's puppy. The reason I say that is because Derrick recognized that Vic needed attention and he set out to cultivate a relationship with her and I don't think Donny would have put in the work. Chances are, Derrick would still be in the jury by the f5 because he gets over confident and make mistakes, but I think he would have tried to improve his position. I think he would recognize that you can't go to bed at ten when you are on the bottom. If business and deals get made at 4am, you have to be there and be on your game.

With that being said, I hope something happens this week that will help improve Donny's position. I do not want any of the BS/detonators to win the game. There's still a lot of game to play and I hope Donny gets a break and then redeems himself and snatches a win out of the jaws of defeat.