Sign in to follow this  
morty

Survivor 29: Blood vs. Water (San Juan del Sur) - General discussion

The Blood vs. Water concept first debuted in season 27 when 10 former players returned, each bringing a loved one to compete with/against. But instead of returning players, this new Blood vs. Water cast will feature pairs of all new contestants. Jeff Probst credits the fans for pushing the show to bring back all new players for the Cagayan season that just wrapped up, and the success of that installment gave producers the confidence to do it again.

“We really listened to people saying, ‘Oh my gosh, we love new players again. This is so fresh and it feels so good,’” Probst told Entertainment Weekly. “And we went down the road with a couple of different ways to do Blood vs. Water, and we started casting it, and started finding really good people, and then more good people, and then it became a very easy decision to go with a completely new cast. “

Of course, with returning players that viewers were already familiar with, it was easy to make the Blood vs. Water connection in terms of who was whose sibling or spouse. Putting all new players in the mix means the show will have to work a bit harder to establish those connections for viewers. “Since it is all new people you need to find a way to bond them quickly so that the audience knows, ‘Oh, okay, that’s the father and that’s the son,’’ says Probst. “And we do have something out of the gate that will help with that a little bit. We just have to do a very good job in how we tell those stories, when you cut from one person on one beach, then cut to their significant other on the other beach. And you just slowly start pairing them together. I’m not really concerned about it. Also, looking at the group we have, I would bet that if we lined them up randomly, the average person could probably get 60 to 70 percent just based on looking at them.”

The Blood vs. Water twist also means the return of Redemption Island, which Probst had previously told EW would probably only return for Blood vs. Water seasons. “Yes, Redemption Island is back,” says Probst. “And there wasn’t even a consideration to not bring it back because so much of our drama came from that explosive energy at Redemption Island when the tribes were already there and then the competitors walk in and it’s the first moment that the other tribe gets to see who was voted out and then you have a loved one going, ‘Oh, man, it was my wife! Are you kidding me? Who did that?’ And I think that was really the cornerstone for a lot of story that came from it.”

Probst does note that there will be a change to the way the contests take place there. “We have another twist that’s going to happen regarding duels at Redemption Island, a little different from last year, so I’m curious to see how that plays out and if we can get some story from that.” [ This could that mean a return back to two person duels as opposed to three person contests.]

The show will be returning for seasons 29 and 30 to Nicaragua, the same location for the filming of two previous installments (Nicaragua and Redemption Island), and Probst says his team has a plan in place to combat one of the negatives from their previous experience there — a lack of suitable locations for water challenges. “That was the mandate from the moment we decided on Nicaragua,” says Probst. “The one thing I kept asking our scouting crew for was updates on how the water situation was looking, and between our art department and our challenge department, they’ve got it under control. We’re going to have a lot more water challenges and be in the water more —and really that’s the only concern we had about Nicaragua, is that it was a little dry last time.”

In general, Probst is confident that Survivor can continue its recent hot streak (the past four seasons all rank in top 10 of all-time). “We have not shot a single second of the show,” says the host, “but I feel really good going in that we have another very good group of people.”

Guest 6Borders

Oh my gosh..all NEW people!!! (I almost peed my pants when I read that).

At least one CBS show is listening to the fans!! I can even live with

Redemption Island now!!

Probst just got props in my book!!!

CBS announces S29 San Juan del Sur: Blood vs. Water cast. 

Premiere date: Sept 24 at 8/7c (followed by the finale of BB16 at 9:30/8:30c)

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/

Video interviews

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/50FA94A9-C9B5-9B7A-A66A-1796F05C7736/survivor-san-juan-del-sur-meet-the-cast/

Guest 6Borders

Well, other than having to see the twins (from TAR) everyone else qualifies as "new people".

Guest 6Borders

I don't care for Blood vs. Water either (especially so soon) but it looks they are going to throw in a lot of new twists and really mix things up.  Kind of fun to see Exile Island back and seems like a new twist to that.

I have no idea who I like the most yet. Usually I hook on to a favorite by the second show but... I dunnooooooooooooooooooooooo

Guest 6Borders

Jeff Probst is such an idiot!  He keeps saying things like "you have two fireman on your tribe and you can't make fire"!!!

Ummmmm...last I heard firemen PUT OUT fires, they do not start them with flint or rubbing 2 sticks together.

I guess after 26 seasons he needs some new dialogue past "c'mon in guys" and "fire represents your life".

I'm not getting the value of exile island this year. I can understand it's value the first week or two but after that it's no big deal. By then your tribe either likes or or they are plotting to vote you out. Being sent there does absolutely nothing except allow you to bond with someone from the other tribe (or not). Maybe I'm missing something here folks and if I am please enlighten me.

Jeff Probst is such an idiot!  He keeps saying things like "you have two fireman on your tribe and you can't make fire"!!!

Ummmmm...last I heard firemen PUT OUT fires, they do not start them with flint or rubbing 2 sticks together.

I guess after 26 seasons he needs some new dialogue past "c'mon in guys" and "fire represents your life".

Actually, they DO start fires ( fire lines ) to control fires they're fighting from spreading AND controlled burns.

But they don't use flint.

Guest 6Borders

I'm not getting the value of exile island this year. I can understand it's value the first week or two but after that it's no big deal. By then your tribe either likes or or they are plotting to vote you out. Being sent there does absolutely nothing except allow you to bond with someone from the other tribe (or not). Maybe I'm missing something here folks and if I am please enlighten me.

Same here.  It just does not seem to make any sense, but maybe it will pan out in the merge for people still in the game or after the merge if they keep Exile Island in play.

The thing I don't think those on Exile are getting is that Survivor has no way of knowing who will take which urn so the clue applies to both camps.

I agree that Exile Island seems to serve no purpose.  I like the show this year - it seems to move fast and I like that but it's enough of the relation gig for me.  I won't watch a show again with that theme.  All new people and no gimmicks, just bare-boned Survivor and tough comps.  That's how I like it.

We need another Boston Rob or Ozzy or.... there was a Stephanie I liked and Yul and... oh geeez.

Nobody memorable this season so far.

We need another Boston Rob or Ozzy or.... there was a Stephanie I liked and Yul and... oh geeez.

Nobody memorable this season so far.

Played out like all the other reality shows.

hmmm I missed the week before this past one...

didn't even have the urge to dig up the 'repeat' of the episode to catch up.

Like Marty said.. "Nobody memorable this season so far."

Can't even work up a good 'dislike' for any of them :sleepy:

Guest 6Borders

This goes down (in my book, and I know nobody really cares) as one of the strangest Survivor seasons in Survivor history.

These people are mostly dweebs and idiots and I feel sorry for those few (not scripted or cast from other CBS shows by CBS

if that is even a "reality")who really came to play Survivor (I still hold hope this is true that there are a few)

It's going the way of Big Brother and the Probst and Grodner "plants" and "CBS says".

The "so called castaways" must have (their opinion) more perks and rewards, they whine and complain if they don't, and if they can't handle it they just quit! 

This theme crap (Blood vs Water; Hero's & Villains, etc) needs to end NOW.  It's useless and stupid as

much as Exile and Redemption Islands were integrated to protect the Probst selected cast:, Boston Rob, Ozzie)) and all this bringing in athletes and the semi-famous just for ratings sucks (or jump-starting their failed careers, like Lisa Whelchel, even tho she was fan of the show and had every right to apply, she WAS cast for ratings). 

Geeze Probst don't you have enough money that you can't just go back to the good ol' days of Survivor, when Survivor meant something other than you showing up on some beach to let Colton or Julie cry on your shoulder,

or does CBS hold you by the balls and you can't man-up to the way it used to be

when it meant something as a show, or have you invested too much into "product integration" to care??

Burping

Farting

Whoop

Hillbilly morons much?

good old boys are repulsive

I agree with the consensus that the show is played-out and that none of the current group is memorable.  Not in a good way; anyway.  Where do they find these people?  Maybe it's best not to know.

Amazing Race is the only show with any life left and if I miss that; no biggie.

I agree with the consensus that the show is played-out and that none of the current group is memorable.  Not in a good way; anyway.  Where do they find these people?  Maybe it's best not to know.

Amazing Race is the only show with any life left and if I miss that; no biggie.

Precisely.

Only amusing part is Jeff's snarkiness.

Guest 6Borders

This season totally sucked and I hope Survivor buries this Blood vs Water crap theme

with a hidden idol nobody found or ever will, or will want to, and take Exile and Redemption

along for the final ride.

Starting with Missy & Baylor, the MOST pathetic duo (paired at the start or aligned later)

to ever play this game, Survivor has gone soft 'n sympathetic.  NO WAY Missy should have

been allowed to continue and sit out challenges just so she could be dragged to the end

because CBS wanted Natalie to win and they were terrified (and rightly so) that Keith would beat her!

If you wish to continue in the game injured you should have to play the game or go home!  That's SURVIVOR! 

Most pitiful F3 ever in Survivor.  Seriously, Missy and Jacklyn, the two most pathetic performers in

challenges the entire season!!!!  Nat so knew she had it in the bag she had a hard time

keeping "cat just swallowed the canary and the million $" expression off her face and pretending to Jeff

she knew not.  I'm sure she and CBS wired her bank ahead of time to expect a large deposit!

I hope White Collar vs Blue Collar vs No Collar (next season's answer to Brains, Brawn & Beauty) will

give us something worth staying up for!

Overall the season was "OK" for me at best. The questions the jurors asked at the end were the lamest, most dumb assed questiones you can imagine. It was as if no one could think of anything to attack the three bimbo's with. Reed's long winded attack on Missy was down right boring. The rest of their questions (if any) were total crap. The three girls got off EASY on that one. Of the three Natalie was the best (if not only) choice.

Next year sounds interesting thou. We shall see.

Sign in to follow this