Maggie

As a Registered Nurse myself, I've spent the better part of this season cringing everytime Maggie speaks about her job. First and foremost, I wonder what kind of an education she has. What kind of nurse is she? Is she an RN? is she and LPN/LVN? or is she an aide of some sort who simply sees herself as a "nurse"? I do believe that her behavior reflects her degree of formal education.

The comments she has made about her patients and her attitudes toward the various factions are deplorable, as many have already stated here. One can only hope that the attitudes she has exhibited here (which I seriously doubt any of her superiors have seen or would in anyway be able to take into consideration) are obvious to the person or persons who do her annual evaluation.

The most important breach that I fear this woman makes in her "professional" life is that of confidentiality. If she says the things she does inside the BB House to impress her housemates, I can only imagine what she says to people in real life.

I could go on forever, but I won't bore you. Just understand that Maggie is no more a true representation of the profession than Eric was of his. She seems heartless, totally devoid of even a grain of compassion and completely unprofessional.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that she said she's not nice enough to work in a hospice proves she shouldn't have chosen that profession IMO

I have never seen an ER nurse where I live have to always wipe S*** from their patients A** but that's here so I don't know what type of nurse or aide she is.

As for Eric I look at the previous firefighter Eric and Survivor's Tom and I definitly know that not all firemen should be compared to Eric of this season

Guest DenimPerzina
As a Registered Nurse myself, I've spent the better part of this season cringing everytime Maggie speaks about her job.  First and foremost, I wonder what kind of an education she has.  What  kind of nurse is she?  Is she an RN?  is she and LPN/LVN? or is she an aide of some sort who simply sees herself as a "nurse"?  I do believe that her behavior reflects her degree of formal education.

The comments she has made about her patients and her attitudes toward the various factions are deplorable, as many have already stated here.  One can only hope that the attitudes she has exhibited here (which I seriously doubt any of her superiors have seen or would in anyway be able to take into consideration) are obvious to the person or persons who do her annual evaluation. 

The most important breach that I fear this woman makes in her "professional" life is that of confidentiality.  If she says the things she does inside the BB House to impress her housemates, I can only imagine what she says to people in real life.

I could go on forever, but I won't bore you.  Just understand that Maggie is no more a true representation of the profession than Eric was of his.  She seems heartless, totally devoid of even a grain of compassion and completely unprofessional.

Here we go with the education snobbing again.

Dear Exalted one, enough with the "educational" rhetoric.

As for Maggie, she should be fired. Plain and simply, no if ands or butts about it.

She needs to find another job, if she continues to be a nurse........

Ya know, I was in the hospital for 10 days with my twins, due to a very complicated/life threatening labor. My nurses were absolutely the ONLY reason I survived. To think about how wonderful they were makes me tear up to this day. Out of all the nurses I had in that time frame, only one was a little "less personal", but even she wasn't nasty, just not as personal.

My best girlfriend is a nurse too. Whenever she is talking about the unpleasant things she has had to do, she always says "I felt so sorry for my patient to have to go through that". She has never talked about her job the way Maggie does, NEVER. Even if I appear to be grossed out, she says it's just part of the job and her patients are always going through more than she is.

Here we go with the education snobbing again.

Dear Exalted one, enough with the "educational" rhetoric.

As for Maggie, she should be fired. Plain and simply, no if ands or butts about it.

She needs to find another job, if she continues to be a nurse........

:( Whether she 'has to go back to digging ____ out of patient's ____'s' OR she is 'ready to stand over a few dead bodies again'.........this nurse should not be allowed to practice in a vet clinic.

Deep respect for all nurses who do a very, hard job. Like Cappy, I will not sterotype all firefighters and EMTs with him, nor do I sterotypes all nurses with Maggie. These two all but demanded the pats on the back for their work but probably shamed their professions with their antics. Shameful.

Kudos to all the hardworking nurses, firefighters and EMTs who do their work with compassion, honor and dignity.

Guest cutienurse1977

:angry:

As a Nurse Practitioner who started my nursing career as an LPN, I find it totally offensive and unprofessional that you would imply that LPN's are somehow inferior to RN's. You speak to Maggie's unprofessionalism and callousness, however in your next breath you denegrate those you deem to be a of lesser stature than yourself. I treat all my coworkers, be they LPN, RN, CNA, transportation aides or housekeepers, with the same respect I show PA's, NP's and MD's. We are all part of the team that contributes to the positive outcomes our patients have. And no one's part is any more imporatant than anyone else's. We all have a purpose to serve and a common goal : Providing the best possible care to our patients and achieving the maximum positive outcomes. It is a team approach and we all work together and respect one another.

As far as Maggie's comments regarding her duties at work, I can honestly say that I've yet to meet a nurse who has not at one point or another grumbled about having to wipe a butt, clean up a bloody mess, answer a call light that has gone off too many times for seemingly unimportant reasons, or some other task that is just a part of the job, but has for one reason or another is an annoyance at that time. For myself, it's respiratory secretions. I do it because it's part of my job, but truth be told mucous spilling from a clogged trach makes me gag. Does that make me a bad NP? Or mean that I care less about my patients than someone who is not bothered by thick green copiuous sputum? No it doesn't. it means that I am human and just like everyone else there are parts of my job that I do not enjoy.

You should be embarrassed and chagrined at your ridiculous display of snobbery regarding the various levels of nursing care and the titles people hold. And if you tell me that you've never complained about something you had to do as part of your patient care responsibilities than your a liar as well as a snob. I feel sorry for your coworkers and wonder if they realize how little esteem you hold them in.

JZ

Cardiac Nurse Practitioner, MSN, RN and once a "lowly" LPN

St Peter's Hospital, Albany, NY

Voted A TOP 10 Cardiac Hospital 6 yrs in a row and a Top 100 Overall Hospital Nationally 7 years in a row

I too started my career as an LPN/LVN, and I will say that I have complained about parts of the job, but never in front of any patient or their families... But I can say that I have NEVER said to any patient that their families didn't want them around... That's why I think Maggie is a disgrace to the profession...

Guest cutienurse1977
Touchy touchy, you said it I didnt, nor did I intentionally imply it, I just wondered what capacity she truely works in.  I think she's a embarrassment.

You did imply that Maggie is less educated than yourself and therefore less important with your comment about her actions speaking to educational level and you blatantly downgraded CNA's by stating " is she just an aide who sees herself as some sort of nurse".

Incidentally, it's TRULY not truely, that is a very poorly constructed run on sentence that starts your paragraph and it should read AN embarrassment not a embarrassment.

Perhaps you need more education? English 101 maybe?

I too started my career as an LPN/LVN, and I will say that I have complained about parts of the job, but never in front of any patient or their families... But I can say that I have NEVER said to any patient that their families didn't want them around... That's why I think Maggie is a disgrace to the profession...

THANK YOU!

Of course you have the down to earth nurses and then you have the ones who think they can do no wrong and constantly talk down to people. But this is true for all professions. The problem with Maggie is that she says things that the viewers can hear. Now I am not saying it makes it any more right to say it in a sneaky way what I am saying is that we can only judge her by what she says and how she acts. So, if she makes mean spirited comments about patients, we have to believe she may not be so nice to her patients.

Also, she does have that air of authority about her when she is with the other HG, if she is like that with other nurses and patients, I don't think it goes over well.

:angry:

As a Nurse Practitioner who started my nursing career as an LPN, I find it totally offensive and unprofessional that you would imply that LPN's are somehow inferior to RN's. You speak to Maggie's unprofessionalism and callousness, however in your next breath you denegrate those you deem to be a of lesser stature than yourself. I treat all my coworkers, be they LPN, RN, CNA, transportation aides or housekeepers, with the same respect I show PA's, NP's and MD's. We are all part of the team that contributes to the positive outcomes our patients have. And no one's part is any more imporatant than anyone else's. We all have a purpose to serve and a common goal : Providing the best possible care to our patients and achieving the maximum positive outcomes. It is a team approach and we all work together and respect one another.

As far as Maggie's comments regarding her duties at work, I can honestly say that I've yet to meet a nurse who has not at one point or another grumbled about having to wipe a butt, clean up a bloody mess, answer a call light that has gone off too many times for seemingly unimportant reasons, or some other task that is just a part of the job, but has for one reason or another is an annoyance at that time. For myself, it's respiratory secretions. I do it because it's part of my job, but truth be told mucous spilling from a clogged trach makes me gag. Does that make me a bad NP? Or mean that I care less about my patients than someone who is not bothered by thick green copiuous sputum? No it doesn't. it means that I am human and just like everyone else there are parts of my job that I do not enjoy.

You should be embarrassed and chagrined at your ridiculous display of snobbery regarding the various levels of nursing care and the titles people hold. And if you tell me that you've never complained about something you had to do as part of your patient care responsibilities than your a liar as well as a snob. I feel sorry for your coworkers and wonder if they realize how little esteem you hold them in.

JZ

Cardiac Nurse Practitioner, MSN, RN and once a "lowly" LPN

St Peter's Hospital, Albany, NY

Voted A TOP 10 Cardiac Hospital 6 yrs in a row and a Top 100 Overall Hospital Nationally  7 years in a row

Well said cutienurse and right on the money. Everyone complains about their job. Doesn't mean they are bad at it or treat people like crap. Nurses are human, not saints or Mother Teresa. They get frustrated with their jobs just like we all do. Not a damn one of the people posting here have firsthand knowledge of how Maggie treats her patients. You only assume because you have heard her complain about her job. And before you bring up the remark she made to a mental patient, think what it must be like to deal with them on a regular basis and that some may not respond well to niceness and sweetness.

You did imply that Maggie is less educated than yourself and therefore less important with your comment about her actions speaking to educational level and you blatantly downgraded CNA's by stating " is she just an aide who sees herself as some sort of nurse".

Incidentally, it's TRULY not truely, that is a very poorly constructed run on sentence that starts your paragraph and it should read AN embarrassment not a embarrassment.

Perhaps you need more education? English 101 maybe?

SIMMA DOWN NAW!!! :lol:

And before you bring up the remark she made to a mental patient, think what it must be like to deal with them on a regular basis and that some may not respond well to niceness and sweetness.

Just so you know I worked with meantal patients for 4 years before I went into the OR... Again I will say I have NEVER said to them that thier families never wanted them around... That is a very dangerous thing to say to someone that is already on the edge... She is the one that said she says these things to her patients and yes I do think I know more about dealing with a patient with a mental illness than her... She works ER and I have never heard of any ER that had to deal with mental patients on a daily basis... Working on the psych ward on the other hand you do deal with all ranges of mental illness from the depressed to the schizophrenic... Saying to anyone of them that thier families don't want them around is uncalled for in any circumstance... If you haven't worked in the field you have no room to tell us that do what to think or say... JMHO...

Ya know, I was in the hospital for 10 days with my twins, due to a very complicated/life threatening labor.  My nurses were absolutely the ONLY reason I survived.  To think about how wonderful they were makes me tear up to this day.  Out of all the nurses I had in that time frame, only one was a little "less personal", but even she wasn't nasty, just not as personal.

My best girlfriend is a nurse too.  Whenever she is talking about the unpleasant things she has had to do, she always says "I felt so sorry for my patient to have to go through that".  She has never talked about her job the way Maggie does, NEVER.  Even if I appear to be grossed out, she says it's just part of the job and her patients are always going through more than she is.

good for you! I on the other hand had the opposite! lol i was in the hospital for 2 weeks and only had ONE good nurse. all the other ones sucked! they were mean and rude... and slow.

i dont know about anyone else.. but i think a lot of people dont see the difference between a LPN or RN.. they are all just nurses to us. heck, i think a lot of people think that they are being cared for by a nurse, but its really a CNA!

ps.. i think CNA's are underpaid. a lot of times i see them do more than the nurses!

Many of the CNA's are nursing students. They are always eager to help out and usually very nice with the patients. Of course, there are times they get treated like crap by some nurses who forget when, where and how they started out.

Yes, you are right, CNA's are definitely underpaid.

to start with, maggie has a bachelor's degree which makes her an RN, BSN. she's also stated that the number of psych patients in las vegas was so high at one time that they declared an emergency. i've worked ER for 20 years and ya want to know who the hardest to deal with patients are? psych patients. why? many reasons. its not a slam to them mind you. but unless you have worked psych, psych is somehow intimidating. you also have to remember that at least part of the time you are dealing with people who arent living in your same reality. ive worked psych too by the way so the intimidation isnt there for me anymore but at one time it was absolutely. ive had patients who thought they were spiderman, and some who sat and wrote letters to jerry springer stating they believed ALL women should have their boobs cut off. ive had patients who were terrified of the dark and multiple other phobias going through an ice storm where the power was out for 2 weeks. ive worked with the homeless, most of whom have some sort of psych disorder.

nurses may be payed well but there is no financial compensation for having to take care of 6 critical patients for 12 hours with very little help because everyone else has 6 of their own to deal with. its a stressful job. is it the patients faults? absolutely not. but that doesnt minimize the stress. or the complaining about the job. we dont complain to the patients or disrespect them in any way. but neither can we give each and every one of them the time and attention they think they deserve, or that we think they deserve. that in itself is frustrating and that is the part of the job we hate. not the patients. not the work.

like maggie ive worked in very small rural hospitals with little funding and big hospitals with the latest technology at my fingertips. and frankly i prefer the small hospitals because they are very aware of what they can and cannot handle and are the first to refer things they cant handle on to a bigger and better hospital. doesnt make the doctors or nurses any less qualified or any less capable or intelligent. just makes us have to be more creative sometimes.

and in those small hospitals they do NOT do psych. they dont have psych doctors or psych units. we have to rely on a crisis team to come evaluate them who may take 2 or 3 hours to get there. sometimes its 8 hours. and in the mean time we are taking care of someone we are not equipped to treat.

i am an RN who works trauma ER and yes siree bob ive done a whole lot of butt cleaning in ER in my day along with a lot of other unpleasant but necessary things. (i agree with the mucus plug suctioning. ick) i started as a CNA in high school and went to school during the day and worked in nursing homes 8 hours a night till i got my BSN and cleaned plenty of butts along the way. and ive been right in there more than once complaining about my job. ive been frustrated with psych patients because at the time i hadnt had any experience in psych. (which is why i worked psych for 2 years part time on the side since then). ive worked for an agency and ive worked 16 hours a day for them sometimes. before you start slamming someone and judging them as a nurse, walk in their shoes for a while. you tell 'em cutienurse.

Just so you know I worked with meantal patients for 4 years before I went into the OR... Again I will say I have NEVER said to them that thier families never wanted them around... That is a very dangerous thing to say to someone that is already on the edge... She is the one that said she says these things to her patients and yes I do think I know more about dealing with a patient with a mental illness than her... She works ER and I have never heard of any ER that had to deal with mental patients on a daily basis... Working on the psych ward on the other hand you do deal with all ranges of mental illness from the depressed to the schizophrenic... Saying to anyone of them that thier families don't want them around is uncalled for in any circumstance... If you haven't worked in the field you have no room to tell us that do what to think or say... JMHO...

My point (which you obviously missed) is that all of us have complained about our jobs. Almost all of us have done something in our jobs that may have been construed as nasty (snapping at a co-worker, customer or whatever) Nurses are supposed to be held to a higher standard? BS, they are underpaid and overworked and I will not run any of them down if they choose to complain or snap at someone. My sister is a nurse, so I have firsthand knowledge of what her work life is like. For the record, I will say whatever I want about whatever topic I choose. You don't get to pick who's allowed to have an opinion.

can i ask why some of the nurses that have posted here are trying to defend what a nurse is?

unless you act like maggie.. we arent talking about you! nobody is saying that all nurses are vile...

dont get all bent out of shape over it... nobody is saying that you dont do a good job or you dont have a right to complain about your day.

the problem we have with maggie is the fact that she says things to her patients that she shouldnt.. and the fact that she basically told the world that this is how she is.

can i ask why some of the nurses that have posted here are trying to defend what a nurse is?

unless you act like maggie.. we arent talking about you! nobody is saying that all nurses are vile...

dont get all bent out of shape over it... nobody is saying that you dont do a good job or you dont have a right to complain about your day.

the problem we have with maggie is the fact that she says things to her patients that she shouldnt.. and the fact that she basically told the world that this is how she is.

I won't speak for other posters, but my sister is a nurse and has made some of the same comments Maggie has. Doesn't mean she's a bad nurse or hates her job or mistreats her patients. It means she's human and needs to vent. We put doctors and nurses up on a pedastal like they are saints and they are human just like the rest of us.

Guest Shockalot

For the life of me I will never fully understand why it seems to be 'mandatory' for Nurses to be cold, bitchy and deliberately slow.

Its like someone at the Nursing Uni is filtering applicants through based on their 'Passive Aggresive' Skills rather than anything else.

Always the justification goes something like this "Well.. you gotta be tough and separate yourself or else you will...."

Ya Bull!

If you ever get stuck in a Filipino Hospital you are in for a treat - the nurses are very kind and always try and adjust for the patient (not the other ferking way around like here!).

The 'Tough' Matron will be tough and harsh ON THE NURSES who are too slow.

Not like North American Matrons who are their to scold the Nurses for wasting her time with patients needs.

Just take Yana for example - she is snide, passive aggresive and when she was 'bothered' by my 'backtalk' she promptly puts me on ignore.

That pretty much says it all right there.

Typical passive aggresive 'arrogance' I see in North American (and British too) Nurses.

Some of the treatment I received in Vancouver hospitals.. petty, vindictive bitchy chicks with that 'I will show you mister man' attitude at worst.

Forbid you piss off the one at the desk.. she is always an old battleaxe ready to 'misplace' your forms or turn your 1 hour wait into a 9 hour one.

Yes, you do get that one or two good ones and its such a contrast that they seem like Gladys freaking Nightingales by comparison.

Even for just spending five minutes extra - you are just amazed at them.

Fire all the white ones and replace them with anyone else.

Problem solved.

I wouldn't lie to no one. I call it as I see it. I see she acts and talks nasty, so that is what she is. Why defend a rotten apple in the profession for the sake of defending a profession. In the end this hurts the profession because the nasty uncaring nurses never get called out for their misdeeds - so the profession goes down the tube. Nurses fought hard to get the "professional" status they so wanted so why defend those who are unprofessional.

Listen, I say if you get burn out............take some time off and see how that works out. Can't sit around complaining to strangers about the patients because a nurse has an ethical/moral code to follow. The nurses who have stuck up for herin this thread know damn well that she is not following the "standards of nursing care" and this is by her admission only.

Archived