Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

House on FOX

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
Anyone else as enamored as I am with the show “House”?

This is a great hospital drama, starring Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House, a sarcastic genius, specializing in "differential diagnosis". Give him some time — and a couple bottles of Vicodin (his leg, crippled by a blood clot, leaves him in constant agony) — and he'll diagnose the problem.

It's on right after American Idol, which has greatly helped it's ratings.

What I love best about this show are all the twisted, sarcastic, unbelievable things that come out of House's mouth. Here are some memorable quips from the show:

Dr. Cameron: Men should grow up.
House: Yeah, and dogs should stop licking themselves. Not going to happen.
Dr. Chase: When I was in med school I had this old professor . . .
House: Who touched you in the naughty place?
House: Cameron is so not perfect.
Dr. Wilson: Well, nobody's perfect.
House: Mother Teresa?
Dr. Wilson: Dead.
House: Angelina Jolie?
Dr. Wilson: No medical degree.
House: Now who's being picky?
Bill: Joey is not gay.
House: Maybe not gay, but certainly delightful
Dr. Wilson: My advice is much more subtle – stop being an ass. You always find some tiny little flaw to push people away.
House: Now it's people? I thought we were talking about fellowship applicants.
Dr. Wilson: You have a history of this.
House: Well, when I do decide to push you away, I hope's there's a small person kneeling behind you so you fall down and hurt your head.
House: Did you make a pass at Cuddy? I told you – she only has thighs for me.
Dr. Cuddy: A brain biopsy can cause permanent neurological damage.
House: Uh-huh. Whereas tumors are really good for brains - make them big and strong
Dr. Cuddy: In my office.
House: Afternoon delight. (waves his cane) She just loves the hard wood.
Mr. Hernandez: Tell her it's cancer – you obviously don't have a problem with lying.
House: Oh – way to win me over.
Female Server: Dr. House?
House: Cuddy sent me a stripper again? I love that woman - she's so thoughtful.
Dr. Wilson: So your philosophy is, if they don't want treatment they get it shoved down their throat, but if it might cure their paralysis Whoa, you'd better slow down.
House: Yeah, My old philosophy used to be ‘Live and Let Live', but I'm taking this needlepoint class and they gave us these really big pillows.
Dr. Wilson: What's your philosophy on employee relations?
House: That's a very tiny pillow.

GREAT show. House is the perfect man. :shock:

I really hope He and Cameron hook up. Maybe I can find us some spoilers. :wink:

Here is the home page.

]http://www.fox.com/house/

ART VAN DELAY

ART VAN DELAY

• Pip
  • 1,337 posts
What night is this show on ???????

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
Tuesdays, 9/8c.

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
Art, (and everyone else!) watch the show if you can. The dialogue is quite sharp. And the characters are developing very nicely. So far, due to the fact that TAR is on the same time (I believe that is why a lot of people haven't seen it), Jem and I seem to be the only House lovers. laugh.gif So far.

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
Yes we are ginger. :wink:

Maybe we can convert some after TAR is finished..... laugh.gif

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
We can try, Jem. I'll get the hammer, you get the sword. Maybe bribes will help. laugh.gif

ART VAN DELAY

ART VAN DELAY

• Pip
  • 1,337 posts
QUOTE(ginger)
We can try, Jem. I'll get the hammer, you get the sword. Maybe bribes will help.  laugh.gif

Might give it a try this week

Guest_XandraSkye_*

Guest_XandraSkye_*
  • Guests
From the 'Hot List' about tonight's NEW episode:

House
9 pm/ET, FOX
House's old girlfriend (Sela Ward) won't arrive until next week, but that doesn't mean that he won't have to deal with romantic complications tonight. First he referees a squabble between a pair of randy seniors (Peter Graves, June Squib). Then there's Cameron, who has agreed to return only if House will date her. It's certainly great to see her back, but the producers could have strung it out a while, if only to watch House demolish a few more of those arrogant applicants for Cameron's job. His interviewing technique is remarkably entertaining, if you're not a hospital lawyer. — Paul Droesch

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
QUOTE(XandraSkye)
From the 'Hot List' about tonight's NEW episode:

House 
9 pm/ET, FOX
House's old girlfriend (Sela Ward) won't arrive until next week, but that doesn't mean that he won't have to deal with romantic complications tonight. First he referees a squabble between a pair of randy seniors (Peter Graves, June Squib). Then there's Cameron, who has agreed to return only if House will date her. It's certainly great to see her back, but the producers could have strung it out a while, if only to watch House demolish a few more of those arrogant applicants for Cameron's job. His interviewing technique is remarkably entertaining, if you're not a hospital lawyer. — Paul Droesch

Thank you, Xandra. I have to tape this tonight because of TAR (I can't wait for the race....!). It's a damn fine show and hopefully viewership will pick up once TAR is over! biggrin.gif

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
I think Jem might be the only one who can answer this (as she probably is the only other person who saw the show last night :wink:), but anyway, how disappointed were you that Cameron got blown off by House? Aww. Too bad. I thought she had him! sad.gif

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
I missed some of the end. cry.gif IM SO MAD! evil.gif I dont remember what I was doing..... I think I watched the ending on TAR and forgot to watch the west coast later. :x

MAD MAD MAD. evil.gif evil.gif

Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests
[quote=Jem]I missed some of the end. cry.gif IM SO MAD! evil.gif I dont remember what I was doing..... I think I watched the ending on TAR and forgot to watch the west coast later. :x

MAD MAD MAD. evil.gif evil.gif

Oooh. It was a good episode, but for the life of me, I can only remember the scene in the restaurant - House's and Cameron's date. He was very apprehensive agreeing to the date, his friend, Dr. Wilson told Cameron to be gentle with House (which was a surprise). And in the end, House basically said that Cameron was attracted to him only because she saw him as a needy case. That was it! Over before it even began. ohmy.gif

We know that they'll repeat it again at some point. smile.gif

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
Let us hope for me they do! I did see some of that date. Last thing I remember is Cameron saying, "Tell me how you feel about me" then Im blank.

ART VAN DELAY

ART VAN DELAY

• Pip
  • 1,337 posts
I missed it again sad.gif sad.gif could someone remind me to watch next week????? please

ART VAN DELAY

ART VAN DELAY

• Pip
  • 1,337 posts
[quote=Jem]Will do ART!

Thank you are a JEM !!!! LOL LOL tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif

Jem

Jem

Forum Moderator

• 12,979 posts
Hero of 'House' Is Doctor Who Hurts
By FRAZIER MOORE
AP Television Writer

NEW YORK -
As an abrasive anti-hero, Dr. Gregory House is hardly unique. But the sort of rotten attitude he radiates is typically the product of a tortured psyche — think Andy Sipowicz's wrath on "NYPD Blue."

"House" is quite a different matter. One of the season's unlikeliest new hits, it's a medical drama about a misanthropic doctor and the pain that racks his body, not his mind.

Perhaps no TV protagonist has been stamped so profoundly by a physical affliction. Walking with a limp, his cane supporting his bum right leg, House is constantly hurting. Pain is part of his persona.

So is drug abuse. He overmedicates on Vicodin. "I do NOT have a pain MANAGEMENT problem. I have a PAIN problem," he once snarled at a waiting room of flustered patients. "But who knows? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm too stoned to tell."

House wasn't looking to win these patients' confidence. He considers their routine complaints a waste of his time. At Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital, he generally ducks the clinic's day-to-day chores. What he holds out for is any case that's baffling enough to engage his world-class diagnostic skills.

Meanwhile, people skills be damned! As brilliantly portrayed by Hugh Laurie, House is snide, arrogant, a little wild-eyed and less than professional in appearance (he flat refuses to wear his prescribed white coat).

So how come a recent tvguide.com poll named him the sexiest doctor on TV — by a wide margin? Maybe this show was just fated to succeed.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that "House," airing at 9 p.m. EDT Tuesday on Fox, benefits from its hit lead-in, "American Idol."

A less obvious factor: House's hardship is all too relatable for viewers. "Approximately 1 in 5 Americans suffers from chronic or recurrent pain," reports ABC News, which was partnering with USA Today this week in a project called "The Fight Against Pain."

Time magazine addressed "The Right (And Wrong) Way to Treat Pain" in a January cover article, noting, "Perhaps the biggest reason so many patients suffer more than they should is the tendency among doctors and patients alike to see pain as a mere sideshow."

Well, "House" sure doesn't see pain as a sideshow. Here, pain is fetishized and, despite the Vicodin, unyielding. It's the main event.

But "House" creator David Shore dismisses any idea that his series was out to capitalize on pain as the culture's next big thing. He was just looking for a storytelling device. "We wanted a character who was unpleasant," he explains. So he made House the victim of a crippling, embittering blood clot. "As originally conceived, we had him in a wheelchair," Shore recalls. "Fox said, `No way.' They were right. It works better to show him at the same level as everybody else, but in pain with every step."

With House, there's the pain of recognition for any viewer who was ever plagued by so much as a headache or a muscle strain. But how to maintain the right balance with this damaged champion, keeping him not just relatable, but also bearable? It's tricky, Shore allows. Make House too harsh and the audience flees, while "if we make him too nice, we destroy what's interesting about the character."

So far, so good — particularly on the next show. Written by Shore, this next-to-last episode of the season departs from the customary format (lifesaving remedy found just in time) for an extraordinary hour framed in a lecture hall, where, under protest, House substitutes for an ailing prof.

As he tangles with the students in this diagnostics class, he will shed light on his own condition — how, through bungled treatment and tragic choices years before, he was left in his impaired, tormented state.

He also reconnects with someone from his past (guest star Sela Ward in the first of several appearances spilling into next season). A woman who seems to have broken House's heart, Stacy Warner comes begging him to treat the mysteriously sick husband he didn't know she had. "I KNOW you're not too busy," Stacy says. "You avoid work like the plague. Unless it actually IS the plague." "I'm not too busy," House concedes — "but I'm not sure I want him to live."

However sarcastic and self-indulgent, House, as usual, is painfully honest. And however much a jerk, he's a jerk who believes morality is measured not by attitude, but results. He's got no cause to apologize. He saves lives. "This is a guy who doesn't have time for niceness or pretense," says Shore. "He wants to get to the stark truth as quickly as he possibly can."

Why not? Even when the truth hurts, House was hurting first.

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests

Well, I hope you're happy. Ya'll have been shouting at us when we didn't cover this snappy little medical drama and now I'm convinced that I am gonna come down with acute intermittent porphyria, just like Sela Ward's new man. And then, I'll end up paralyzed, epileptic and stuck with some bitter tool of a doctor genius who wants me to die just so my Sela-equivalent will suffer for sticking him with a bum leg, like a hundred years ago. Great. Thanks everyone. As if dealing with my HMO isn't bad enough. Oh, and to make things worse, I think my already addictive personality is full-blown hooked on Hugh Laurie's nasty Mike Brady in a lab coat, which does me a load of good now that the season's over. Though I could really do without the grisly needle stuff, the extreme close-ups of spastic innards and Cameron's tragic realization that House was capable of loving someone, just not her. Mostly because that's going to make things very awkward when Sela and her "I'm still not over you" moony eyes join the hospital staff next fall. Good thing Dr. Feelbad snagged those illegal pills. He's gonna need 'em. Hell, we all will. — DJH

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
FROM TV GUIDE: Entertainment News

HOUSE-BOUND: Here's a little scoop from today's fresh Ask Ausiello: Rapper-turned-movie-star LL Cool J is making a rare detour to the small screen, signing on for a guest stint on Fox's House. LL will appear in the Sept. 13 season premiere as a death-row inmate suffering from a fatal illness.

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

House

OK, how disturbing was that MRI scene? Can you imagine having the highly metallic ink from your tattoos extracted from your body with a giant magnet? Ouch. If I were Clarence, the death-row inmate played by the delicious LL Cool J, I think I would have passed on the scan. I mean, you're on death row. Why put yourself through that torture when your time is drawing nigh? Maybe it's me. Clarence went ahead with the MRI, and almost immediately he was screaming bloody murder from the pain. Would it be inappropriate for me to say, "I told you so"? Maybe it's a good thing. Dr. House found the problem through the scan and we ladies who love cool James got yet another scene of the rapper-turned-actor writhing about with only the strategically placed fig leaf of a bed sheet to cover his naughty bits.

Speaking of naughty, that Gregory has done a bad thing. He lied to Stacy — the ex-girlfriend and, dare I say, current love of his life — and now Stacy's in hot water with Cuddy. Dr. Wilson kindly pointed out that House's behavior wouldn't score points with Stacy. She's all about trust and truth, and House isn't very trusting or truthful. How will House ever get Stacy to leave her husband if she can't trust him? Good question. One thing's for sure: Stacy's presence invigorates House as much as it unsettles him. By her side House is at times juvenile (nothing new there), indignant and repentant. By his side, I suspect Stacy could be the same. — Rhoda Charles

Guest_ranster627_*

Guest_ranster627_*
  • Guests
FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

House

Hello, Aetna? I'd like to change my primary care physician to Dr. House… Seriously, I want a doctor who will try anything to extend my life. Even if it means killing me. Of course, I say this after watching last night's episode about nine-year-old Andie who's struggling for life in the face of certain death. Plagued with a plethora of ailments — cancer, tumor on her heart, hidden blood clot in her brain — Andie bravely accepts her fate, fearing nothing more than expiring without ever having kissed a boy. Enter young Dr. Chase. Blonde haired and blue eyed, at 30 he's in the prime of his life and a perfect object to desire from a cold hard examining table. Andie, expertly working her adolescent mojo, gets her kiss. Bad doctor, she's nine! I will give Chase credit, though, for at least hesitating before he planted one on her.

Dr. House, on the other hand, isn't quite as touchy-feely. He avoids all contact with his patients until he's figured out what's wrong. I can live with that. Honestly, the guy is a genius diagnostician. He used his iPod to pinpoint the location of Andie's tumor for crying out loud. And here I thought it was just for music. Speaking of music, was time for Andie to face it. Once Dr. Cuddy green-lighted the unorthodox procedure that would literally kill Andie and then bring her back to life the show kicked into high gear. The best scene was between House and Andie where he breaks it down for her. "Nobody wants to die but you're going to. I'm asking if you want this to be over?" Thank God they faded to black when Andie burst into tears because I needed a moment. I suspect House did too. That's my kind of doctor. — Rhoda Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users