echo

The Bachelorette - Desiree Hartsock (Spring 2013)

echo   

Yet another entry the Romantic reality series.

To have fun watching this over the top romantic fantasy is to keep in mind that no more than 4 of the bachelors are selected because they match up well with the Bachelorette, all the others are there because they have one or more significant personality flaws which gets exposed and thus sent home.

* One way to identity the winner is that the producers edit the show so that he is near perfect, any flaws he might have never make into the episodes, or if a flaw is shown, they spin it into being a possitive. Example, has a fear of hieght, but then faces that fear by skydiving... you get the idea. Otherwise, as a couple they seem the perfect man and woman. And of course, those who get eliminated are shown as having flaws. In some cases, the flaws are not shown until the episode where they get eliminated, or maybe some hints in the episode before.

* Final rose ceremony. Any guy who gets the final rose during the rose ceremony is a dead man walking and likely goes home in the next 1-2 episodes. The winner never gets the final rose expect maybe in the final 1-2 rose ceremonies where there only few left.

* The show is written to expose the flaws of various individuals, so often a guy(s) are put into situations that the producers know it will expose their personality flaws.

* The Bachelorette does not decide the order in which each guy gets sent home, she simply informs the producers who she likes\dislikes. The producers decide the order based on what they feel is good for the ratings. Often we get the impression that the Bachelorette can send any one of the guys home at any time, but that is not true, she has to ask in advance or often the producers will tell her to reject the guy on 1-on-1 date, or whatever the certcumstances might be. Even if she hates a guy, the producers might keep the guy around because he is good for ratings, but that guy will simply be kept away from the bachelorette and never have any 1-on-1 dates.

echo   

During this last episode is was sooooooo over the top sappy with all these guys telling Desiree their sad family stories and being sooooo OPEN\HONEST about their feelings. What a crock of BS.

Women always say the lovey it when guys open up and show that they are vulnerable\sensitive, but in the end, they go to bed with the bad boy who maintains his image of a strong man who keeps his feelings to himself. Women, especially women in their 20s, want their man to be strong, not vulnerable. They may appreciate it when any guy shows he vulnerable, but from romantic perspective its a turn off to women in the long run. Such guys might become their best friend, someone women love to talk to about personal problems, but they don't want to marry the guy that open ups an says "OH my life have been filled with one problem after another, let me tell you everything.....". The woman might smile and think what a nice guy, but she'll soon be looking around for someone else to have sex with that night, or whenever ever.

Watch, whomever Desrisee choose at the very end, won't be any of the guys who cried on her shoulder tonight telling her what hard life they have had. No, she's going to select a guy much like Sean, who had strong family background, no significant problems, and would never ever be perceived as being a sweet sensitive guy to fits in well with the girls.

Marty   

Echo I would say your bad boy theory is only about 50/50.

echo   

Echo I would say your bad boy theory is only about 50/50.

It is true that I am being overly broad with my statement about women preferring bad boys over sensitive guys, because clearly there are women who marry sensitive guys. I am saying women in general say they want their man to be sensitive, but what they really mean is they want a partner who has the ability to effectively communicate. They want a confident guy who has the ability to deal with this problems effectively. They don't want a guy who who communicates like women when they talk about their problems. :)

Slimcruz   

* "there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility"

* Shakespeare, Henry the Fifth

echo   

Anyone else notice a significant number of decent\honest\real guys got sent home in episode #2, leaving only about 4 guys that have a realistic chance of ending up with Desiree. All the other smucks\personalities are there because the producers know they will screw up and\or have hidden secrets that have yet be revealed. We've already seen the teaser when a ex-gf or ex-wife shows up. You know damn well having her show up was planned from the beginning. Maybe the guy did not reveal his entire life story to the producers as required, but they dug it up, and he made on the show strictly so they could expose him for whatever dirt he has hidden in his closet... They do it every season now. :)

Marty   

I really like Brooks the first guy she had the one on one date. He seemed like a nice guy and quite a cutie. I really didn't pay much attention to the guys she send home so not sure if they were good guys. They seemed like boring guys. Dezz seems to be having a good time so far.

echo   

I really like Brooks the first guy she had the one on one date. He seemed like a nice guy and quite a cutie. I really didn't pay much attention to the guys she send home so not sure if they were good guys. They seemed like boring guys. Dezz seems to be having a good time so far.

Clearly Desiree likes Brooks a lot otherwise they wouldn't have had such a huge big first date. He'll be around for a while, if not all the way to the end.

I got a good laugh at how cheap her date with Bryden was compared to her first with Brookes. First date expsense could have eaily cost 100,000 to produce. The Bryden's date was just a few thousand, kinda like going on a date to McDonalds and ordering from the $1 menu, at least relative to the Brooks' date.

The guys who got sent home were intesionally made to appear like wall flowers so that the audience didn't care if about any of them being sent home. However, none of them were jerks\loosers, they were just decent guys that Desiree didn't want to date. Its just funny that the producers always keep the jerks\liars\cheats around for many episodes, while sending home the decent guys first. Like I said previously, the producers decides the order in which each guy goes home, not Desiree, the producers inquire as to who are her favorites, and which she could careless about. In fact, she might truly dislike a couple guys who the producers decide to keep around for a long time. Ben, this season villain, is there to antagonize the other guys, will be around for many episodes. I don't know anything about him, but I suspect he is the guy with dirt his closet that has yet to be revealed.

Marty   

No offense echo but when you talk every season about production staging the whole show and your view how it is all done kind of takes away from enjoying the show. I do appreciate your right to your take on the show. I am sure some of it is staged and situations set up but I doubt not to the extent you always talk about.

I think we should just enjoy the show or not. ;)

Moxie   

My mantra has always been "there's nothing real about reality television". :animated_rotfl:

echo   

No offense echo but when you talk every season about production staging the whole show and your view how it is all done kind of takes away from enjoying the show. I do appreciate your right to your take on the show. I am sure some of it is staged and situations set up but I doubt not to the extent you always talk about.

I think we should just enjoy the show or not. ;)

You can enjoy the show your way and believe its all real, and I can enjoy the show my way by trying to guess who the winner is by evaluating how the show works. I am not going to stop dissecting how the show works because that is what I find fun.The out come of the show is real, which is a result of speed dating, but the producers throw in a lot of scripted\manipulated extra drama stuff to fill the gaps and cover up the speed dating aspect of the show.

How about you ignore my posts, and I ignore yours. That way there nothing more for us to discuss on this matter.

echo   

My mantra has always been "there's nothing real about reality television". :animated_rotfl:

I describe Reality TV as being like watching a Magic show; on the surface it appears real, but if the audience knew how the reality show really worked, they'd be very surprised as what else is REALLY going on. In general the game is real that has a unscripted real result, but the producers stack the deck from the start to ensure they get good ratings.

For first couple if years I never put any thought into how reality shows worked until I started watching The Apprentice. At first I hated the show because I kept asking "How do we not know that Trump doesn't have a 1-2 favorites from the very start, and the rest have very little chance of winning".... Then it finally dawned on me that's exactly how the show works, its not 16 people competing against each other, is really just a couple of candidates who were pre-selected based on their existing qualities. In other words, the two REAL candidates already had been carefully screened\interviewed, and both are equally qualified on paper\education and past work experience, so the show puts the two finalists through a series of challenges\competitions to see who is the best. The others on the show are there simply to be fired as some point, but also to test the two candidates by forcing them to deal with real people who are flawed in various ways. Maybe what is slightly unfair is that they all believe they have real chance at winning when in fact they have no chance of winning. Maybe it can be rationalized is that they all get paid well, get national exposure, and have bragging rights to say they were fired by Donald Trump. In the end, professionally they are far better off that when they started, so its not like the show harms them, because it does not.

More obvious things behind reality shows like BB and Survivor is that each show has its own secret black book of rules that the audience does not get know about, only the players. Violating those rules generally means they are secretly penalized or even elimnated. How the show handles the breaking of the rules is also basically kept secret.... Because BB has a live feed, the feeds go black, and the player get called into the Diary room. During All-stars Dr Will and Boogie decided to push the limits by constantly doing things that forced the live feeds to go down a lot during the first several days, then suddenly they stopped doing it. It was clear they were called in the DR and informed if they kept causing the feeds to go down, they would be asked to leave, so they stopped and switched to a different game plan.

echo   

Boy, four weeks in, and so far nobody other than Brooks is being shown to have any significant romantic possibilities. Not saying the others are dead beats, the dates so far have underwhelming, except for Brooks. Got to wonder if Desiree made up her mind pretty early on who she was going to pick, and the producers had to scramble to keep things going. I recall several season ago when the Bachelor at the time made his decision long before the finish, and it was a slightly obvious that he was significantly more interested in one woman, and struggled to fake it with the others.

echo   

Chris had a favorable date, but I still don't see him as serious competition to the front runner Brooks.

The Two-on-one date is the kiss of death for those who are invited. Doesn't matter who goes home, the guy who get to stay is a dead man walking. I don't think any guy who ever gone on a Two-on-One date has ever made it to the home town date.

And in case its not obvious, the guys are not allowed to do much of anything without getting permission from a producer\handler, so when Braden decides to find Desiree in the middle of her date, you can bet your house that the producers gave him the OK. It would not surprise me that the producers set up the whole thing, and it wasn't his idea in the first place. Braden was not a jerk, so highly suspicious that couldn't wait until she came back, or told in before she left. It my speculation that the producers used he him to create a little bit of drama and his only option was to track her down in the middle of her date.

echo   

Drew might have gotten a rose on his 1-on-1 date, but he is a dead man walking for many reasons. IMHO, doubtful he'll make it to the home town date. The first big mistake was that he becomes tattle-tale on James along with a couple of the other guys. Its a significant 'romantic' turn off to most women when a guy feels the need bad mouth other guys who the woman likes either romantically or as a friend. Guys who do such things automatically get put into the 'Friends' category because that is what female friends do with each others, the give romantic advice, guys who act as friends get treated as friends\brother.

James was dead man walking for the last two episodes. No (on camera) romantic connection there. The producers were just keeping him around because they can create drama around him.

So far the only two I see getting home town dates are Brooks and Chris. I'd give Brook a clear advantage as being the overall winner. The big indicators are, as always, is that he's never caught up in the drama, he's always somewhere else when the guys get into it, or if he is in the room, he just stays out of it.

echo   

OK, who actaully beleives that Brooks is really gone? Naw, the build up was way too big for him to be really gone for good. The question is not if he the last man standing, but under what cermcustances he is there. Maybe we have typical ending where he proposes, or maybe he says something like "I'm not ready to get married, but I want to to continue our journey together because I want to marry you someday when we both are 100% ready".... somekind of BS like that, but written to be more romantic.

I do beleive he was sincere when he broke up with her, and the entire season was edited to lead the audience directly to that point. What I wonder about is if he really did walk away with no plans on coming back, and the producers worked out a deal he couldn't turn down $$$$, and a deal that is as I just suggested, allows the couple to continue dating after the show with the implication that they plan to get married, but are not officially engaged. I think the show did this in at least one previous seasons, where the guy doesn't offically proposes, but he says words that kind of seem like he asking her to get married, but if you listen carefully, he's saying "I want to keep dating, but I not get engaged right now"

If Brooks had really walked out and never returned, the entire season would have been completely different to highlight one of the other guys as her true love, and Brooks would have been shown as strong runner up, but because of his lack of commitment, she chose one of the other guys. and IMHO, if Brooks actually wasn't into Des, the producers would kept him around all the way to the end, and let Des reject him in the final ceremony used more less as dramatic pawn. Then.... Brooks would have been given the opportunity to be the next Bachelor. I am pretty sure there have been several guys in the past that admitted to the producers they weren't romantically interested the Bachelorette, but the guys were kept around simply to be used as pawns.

echo   

Totally blindsided by the end result. Got to give the producers credit on creating a very deceptive season that leads everyone to conclude that Brooks would reappear at the end, and sweep her off her feet. What makes me really wonder if the producers REALLY did know all along that Chris was her #1 choice, and she would have dumped Brooks if he had stayed to the end, that is my best guess as to the end result, the producers knew Brooks wasn't her first choice, so it did not matter who dumped who because she was going pick Chris anyway, by having Brook dump her, it simply makes the show more dramatic and less predictable. I totally was caught off guard, up to the very last moment I truly thought she was going to tell chris she couldn't accept his proposal because she loved Brooks, and some how Brooks would reappear and say something to effect "I'm not ready to get married at this moment, but I do love you, and want to continue our journey together and get married some day in the near future"

However, if Brooks was her #1 choice I feel sorry for Chris, because being the runner up means she compromised and chose the second best guy (for her). Chris deserves better than runner up status and only wins because the front runner got out of the race just before the finishing line. Nobody likes to win by default.

jenw_72   

I was shocked about her feelings for Brooks. She didn't seem like he was her first choice. For the longest time I thought it was Chris so I am thinking Chris was her choice but to make the show more dramatic they did it that way. I sat with my jaw on the floor while she was saying Brooks is the one I love cause she always seemed to have "that" connection with Chris. Her and Chris make a awesome couple. But, like you I hope she didn't choose Chris and her second choice cause like u said he doesn't deserve that. He is to sweet.

jenw_72   

Did you guys hear that Gia committed suicide? Sad

echo   

Did you guys hear that Gia committed suicide? Sad

Yes, very shocking. Lots for rumors flying around that one, like she really trying to kill herself, but was looking for attention that comes with celebrities in crisis.