Sign in to follow this  
morty

Randy Jackson to Exit

Randy Jackson to Exit “American Idol”

Randy Jackson to Exit “American Idol” amid bloodbath of firings.

None of the four judges on the singing competition will be asked to return next season, an individual with knowledge of Fox's plans told The Wrap. Longtime producer Nigel Lythgoe is expected to get the boot. And despite reports to the contrary, Fox isn't even considering bringing former judge Jennifer Lopez back as a lifesaver for next season.

"All four are gone," the insider told TheWrap. "They feel they've lost their core audience and they want it back."

Original chair inhabitant Randy Jackson has wisely decided to call it quits. “To put all of the speculation to the rest, after 12 years of judging on “American Idol” I have decided it is time to leave after this season,” he told E!. “"I am very proud of how we forever changed television and the music industry. It's been a life changing opportunity but I am looking forward to focusing on my company Dream Merchant 21 and other business ventures."

All four judges have options to return for another season, but Fox won't be picking them up, according to the knowledgeable individual, who said: "No more big checks for divas."

The network has resolved to stop paying the huge salaries it has been shoveling out for its big name talent, i.e. Carey's reported $18 million package, Minaj's $12 million salary and former judge Jennifer Lopez's $15 million.

The show's format will also change. Its look will be redesigned and the dated tribute nights will be a thing of the past. But the show's trademark audition episodes will continue.

Behind the scenes, Fox Broadcasting chairman Kevin Reilly is charged with "fixing Idol." And one of the first changes will occur at the top of the food chain: Longtime executive producer Lythgoe is expected to be replaced. What that means for the show's producers, FremantleMedia, remains to be seen.

"Idol's" problems are compounded by the success of NBC's "The Voice." Currently airing its fourth season, the show recently crossed a milestone when it beat "Idol" (and everyone else on the small screen for that matter) in both total viewers and the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic. Additionally, "The Voice" took "Idol's" spot in the Emmy race last year, replacing it among the nominees in the Outstanding Reality Competition category.

"Idol" is still a huge revenue generator for Fox, bringing in $836.4 million in ad revenue last year, according to Kantar Media. Plus, it has nothing to replace it. Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" is far from being "Idol's" heir apparent after failing to meet ratings expectations over its first two seasons. It, too, is undergoing another round of changes for Season 3, with pop star Britney Spears and record executive L.A. Reid not returning.

“American Idol,” which concludes for the season next Wednesday, has plummeted in the ratings this season. Based on the most recent live plus same day data, “Idol” on Wednesday (opposite both “Survivor: Caramoan” on CBS and “The Voice” on NBC in the first hour) sunk to 11.11 million viewers and a 2.9 rating/8 share among adults 18-49, which lost about one-third of the audience from the year-ago evening.

This show is all but DEAD in my opinion. This might be the last nail.

His retarded arse is still there. Dude's such a huge wanna-be DAWG! bleh

CALEB and JENA best AIers ever.

I don't know if they were the best 'ever'... but it was written on the wall pretty soon in the season that they'd be in the F3.

lol... surprised that the young vote didn't keep Sam Woolf in just because he was so cute.

(the poor guy was sooo uncomfortable in the lime-light ... I hope he can learn to loosen up while they're on tour)

footnote: wonder if I can buy a pair of Keith's shoes on E-Bay so I can put them under my bed.... sighhhh

Sign in to follow this