Said with much affection - we are soooo Canadian

I've so loved watching the show so far. People say that Canadians are too nice - and I am happy to say we are. With a few exceptions on this show, we just find it easier to be nice than to be nasty. For example, Emmet telling both nominees they were going up. And the lack of major drama when HGs have left. We are so polite for the most part aren't we? For those who thought we were going to get the American version of BB - sorry to disappoint, but we are who we are and should be proud of it - the kinder gentler version of BB. Keep enjoying the show.

While I definitely love Canadians (I've been called a wannabe Canadian more than once!), I wouldn't say the BBCA houseguests are so nice and polite to each other. There was so much trash talking between Topaz and Liza for example, the fight between Topaz and Tom, Talla being called a slut, and there is lots of trash talking about other HG's all the time. They might be nicer than BBUSA contestants, I'm not sure, but it's certainly not all niceties.

With that said I am really enjoying watching the Canadian version. I am liking Big Brother more now than I have in years. There is just something about these HG's that I like. Lots of BBUSA contestants are just useless, dumb as bricks, boring, etc. That's definitely much less of a factor in BBCA. Even AJ, who was probably useless from a competition perspective was at least entertaining in some way. Also, the token gay guy is actually useful which I am really enjoying. Since the same casting agent was used for the Canadian version that is used for the American version I think it really shows the difference between Canadians and Americans. I mean, you just know that she didn't deviate from what she just does for the American version...you can see the same exact format.

Also, I am really enjoying the humor and just the events in the house in general. It doesn't seem as boring as recent seasons of BB. Gary crying after being put on slop, Talla waxing Topaz...all hilarious!

While I agree that Canadians seem nicer than folks here in the states, what I DON'T see on the show are any of the less fortunate, hungry for the prize money cut throat houseguests - and I think that sort of houseguest keeps the show interesting, cause they are merciless on the road to the prize. That is what I was referring to in another post when I said that they all seem too nice. Could also be that this is the first season, ruthless tactics have yet to be discovered.

I agree with Shinra about the casting.

Also after BBUSA 9 (which was pretty awful) CBS seems to only choose houseguests with a certain level of intelligence, and the intelligence quotient makes for less vicious houseguests.

Let's not forget Suzette calling Tom a fu*!ing redneck.

BB is not supposed to be a lovefest!

Well, it might be the first season, but they have 14 seasons of the US version to build off of so I don't think that's the reason. It's probably just the group of people they put in the house. They just aren't that manipulative or cutthroat.

BB8 was the last season that I really enjoyed. BB9 began a downslide IMO with casting. Those people that season were just horrible. Since then it's definitely been a mix. There has been lots of great memorable people, but it's mostly been a bunch of people who I cared little about and sometimes forgot existed if they didn't annoy me.

And yes, I forgot about Suzette!

I think these contestants are very Canadian. I think the "niceness" things gets confused with politeness. Canadians are very polite, but I'm not sure we're any nicer than Americans. I think the biggest difference between the countries' BBs are that when there has been conflict, ie Tom and Suzette, Emmet and Suzette, they sat down and talked about it face to face.

Hmm, you might be right that generally people think of them as the same thing. In my head they are different. Haha. For example (and this is kind of a dumb example): in my younger days I worked at a McDs near a border crossing. I could usually tell whether someone was Canadian or American because the Canadians would say, "could I get a Big Mac, please?" And the Americans would say, "I'll have a Big Mac". One is more polite, but I don't think that it makes the others unkind. Just a different way of talking. Or, if someone bumps into me, I say "sorry" not because I'm sincerely sorry but because it's customary. It's just what we do.

I am an American, but you would probably have thought I was a Canadian based on that hypothetical exchange at McDonald's. I absolutely hate how most people here in America say "I'll have a Big Mac" because it just doesn't seem polite enough...where is the please? Whenever I come back to Canada I think I'll have to pay more attention. I do notice that most Americans say sorry when they bump into someone though. Perhaps it's just different things. Are there any other distinctions between Americans and Canadians that you can think of?

Not really, but every time I go to Havre, Montana everyone there asks if I'm Canadian, even before they see my obviously Canadian bank card/credit card, and I can't figure out how they can tell!

Or, if someone bumps into me, I say "sorry" not because I'm sincerely sorry but because it's customary. It's just what we do.
I do notice that most Americans say sorry when they bump into someone though.

LOL. Read it again, Shinra!

We Canadians say "Sorry" when someone ELSE bumps into US!

On the topic of politeness and kindness, I have to say that it's still a little early to render judgement because the season is only halfway through.

And whether or not Canadians are more polite than Americans ON AVERAGE, there are still plenty of times where we are NOT polite.

The "Tom exposing Alec in the shower" thing wasn't very kind, and Tom did go around boasting about it afterward (also not very kind), before eventually apologizing (which I believe really was sincere).

And Suzette apologizing to Tom after the "redneck" comment was very classy and adult of her.

I know Canadians have this reputation for politeness, but I've met more than my fair share of polite Americans.

It seems to me that our houseguests do swear an awful lot. And it appears (at least to me) that the ones who come from urban centers are more guilty of it than the ones who come from more rural areas.

Still, the houseguests, taken as a whole, do seem to be less apt to take things personally, and more willing to accept that they are playing a game and people need to go home. (I mean, they gave AJ a round of applause as he was leaving! C'mon!) I have a feeling that will change, though, the deeper we get into the game. The less people there are left, the more each will feel a sense of entitlement.

Although I really am enjoying this season, I do feel like some evil cutthroatedness is lacking, and would elevate the caliber.

LOL. Read it again, Shinra!

We Canadians say "Sorry" when someone ELSE bumps into US!

I do that too because I felt like I was in the way. I might be unique in that regard. I definitely overdo it with the word "sorry"!

It seems to me that our houseguests do swear an awful lot. And it appears (at least to me) that the ones who come from urban centers are more guilty of it than the ones who come from more rural areas.

I've heard that Canadians tend to swear more than Americans for some reason, so I wasn't too surprised when I heard it all.

I also agree with everything else you said. I feel like we are trying to pick out these huge differences between Americans and Canadians that aren't actually as big as we are trying to make them out to be. There are polite Canadians and polite Americans, just like there are going to be Americans and Canadians who are not the least bit polite.

I think Canadians tend to have pretty big potty mouths (TPB, anyone?) but it's not usually offensive, or said in anger; more used as expressive language. People 'round my part of Canada are big swearers but are super-careful around children or religious people.

My American BB watching leads me to the conclusion that Americans swear more out of anger; is that accurate, neighbours to the south?

I think Canadians tend to have pretty big potty mouths (TPB, anyone?) but it's not usually offensive, or said in anger; more used as expressive language. People 'round my part of Canada are big swearers but are super-careful around children or religious people.

My American BB watching leads me to the conclusion that Americans swear more out of anger; is that accurate, neighbours to the south?

I think it is. When we get angry there is often lots and lots of swearing. However, I've never encountered any angry Canadians before. All of the Canadians I've met have been super nice, whether they were in Canada or the US.

I only swear when I'm angry but I've sure had to work hard to stop my kidlet from picking up the incidental swearing typical of her peers. Times are a'changing. The stereotype I hear most about is that while Canadians are more polite, Americans are more outgoing and friendlier. That said, others talk more about west vs east traits that run right through the two countries.