Sign in to follow this  
Phil-o-mania

The Weaver Family

They asked a perfect stranger if he knew Jesus. That's not keeping it to themselves. I stand by my response.

Who cares? Not once have I seen them act judgemental towards anyone and isn't that what's most annoying about people who preach? They have been kind and unassuming. They even made me cry a little last night, because they really are coming together with this experience and it made me very happy to see people bond together when it is very important after a major tragedy.

If I recall Mama Weaver ask a man who was kind and a good samaritan if he knew Jesus. Why that seems so offensive and inappropriate I'll never know. Whether you believe in Jesus or not, if that question is one used to thank you for a kindness then I would take it as a friendliness not an opening into a diatribe about my sinfulness or what have you.

To find fault in any friendly gesture is a reflection of you and not the person extending what they feel is gratitude. Or are you the type whose hackkles would rise if someone said "bless you" after you sneezed?

I hate this team. All that sweetness and light make my teeth hurt. And they scream WAY more than the Godlewski sisters. Am I supposed to feel sorry for them the entire race just because they lost their father/husband? NOT! Their entertainment value dissipated in the first five minutes of the premiere for this viewer.

Hey Pepper who peed in your coffee this morning! Use some half and half for your next cup and lighten up!

You're entitled to your opinion but "just because they lost their father/husband" that's way cold

If I recall Mama Weaver ask a man who was kind and a good samaritan if he knew Jesus. Why that seems so offensive and inappropriate I'll never know. Whether you believe in Jesus or not, if that question is one used to thank you for a kindness then I would take it as a friendliness not an opening into a diatribe about my sinfulness or what have you.

If she were willing to go up to people and say "Do you know Santa?" or "Do you know the tooth fairy?" then I don't have a problem with her asking about Jesus. She would probably think that was crazy and that would be my point. Don't ask me about imaginary people.

If she were willing to go up to people and say "Do you know Santa?" or "Do you know the tooth fairy?" then I don't have a problem with her asking about Jesus. She would probably think that was crazy and that would be my point. Don't ask me about imaginary people.

I would assume you are reasonably intelligent to know the character of the country and while you have your beliefs, there is a good argument that the majority of people in this country are of the Christian faith or persuasion whether they are practicing or not. With that being the case, is it really a bad reflection on a person's sanity if she keeps the status quo and extends a token of courtesy or gratitude with her question?

You treat what she said as an assault on your choice to not believe. I think it's absurd and a tad petulant.

Hey Pepper who peed in your coffee this morning! Use some half and half for your next cup and lighten up!

You're entitled to your opinion but "just because they lost their father/husband" that's way cold

No pee here, I guess I should rephrase my opinion a bit.

I do not wish to hear about the father/husband's demise quite so often on each episode.

I still am annoyed by this team.

They scream too much.

JMHO

I so do not want to get in a tinkling match about religion, but just had to make a point. Our society is very diverse when it comes to religious beliefs -- yes, there are many Chrisitians, but there are also Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, or whatever. Not all religions view Jesus as their savior or God. I find it best personally, not to bring the subject of religion up with strangers or people I don't know well, since I don't know what they believe or don't beleive, and I wouldn't want to offend them. I think everyone should be free to believe or not believe whatever they want -- it is a free country after all. And I suppose the same can be said of people like Mama Weaver who ask people questions like the one she asked about Jesus -- but they should be prepared for whatever answer or reaction they get and not be put off by it.

My husband, who is a bit of a stinker sometimes, tends to have a comeback for when people approach him with such questions. For example, when asked "have you found Jesus?", he will likely reply "I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him, is he lost?"

Okay, that's all I'm gonna say about that.

And this is not about what a person believes or doesn't believe rather it's whether a gesture should or should not be taken in the spirit it was meant. If someone can find something rude or intrusive in the way Mama Weaver chose to thank the trucker who helped her in the game I want to see a good argument about it. whether she was a believer in Wicca and told me to go with the God/Goddess, or a Muslim told me Allah watches me with praise is it cool to snipe back that I don't believe in imaginary people or do I just thank them for wishing me good? Isn't intent the most important thing. And you say "they should be prepared for whatever answer or reaction they get and not be put off by it. " Why is that? Because we are all snide and cynical people who like to snipe at people who mean us well?

I would assume you are reasonably intelligent to know the character of the country and while you have your beliefs, there is a good argument that the majority of people in this country are of the Christian faith or persuasion whether they are practicing or not. With that being the case, is it really a bad reflection on a person's sanity if she keeps the status quo and extends a token of courtesy or gratitude with her question? You treat what she said as an assault on your choice to not believe. I think it's absurd and a tad petulant.

You also assume I don't believe in God. She said Jesus which is a very specific character for a specific belief. What if she asked that of a Jewish person? Would she even know why that would be offensive? She can say God Bless You as far as I'm concerned but if someone else were to take offense to that then I would support that person over her.

You also assume I don't believe in God. She said Jesus which is a very specific character for a specific belief. What if she asked that of a Jewish person? Would she even know why that would be offensive? She can say God Bless You as far as I'm concerned but if someone else were to take offense to that then I would support that person over her.

So what's the next act? A punch in the face or legal action if someone accidentally wishes someone a Merry Christmas? You still don't get the point. We don't penalize people who do out of kindness and no kindness should be considered offensive. You can't get beyond the words to get to the intent.

It shouldn't matter if she said, "buddha provides", "the force is with you", "if Allah Wills it", etc. She was being polite and intended gratitude. If you were offended and your next act is to snipe at what she said, it's really your hangup and not hers.

and getting back on track...

I have no opinion of this family yet. I'll take em or leave em so far.

No pee here, I guess I should rephrase my opinion a bit.

I do not wish to hear about the father/husband's demise quite so often on each episode.

I still am annoyed by this team.

They scream too much.

JMHO

I'm sure they wish he wasn't dead either but like Mick says, you can't always get what you want.

GO WEAVERS

My opinion on the Jesus-incident:

Its simple. Stopping to ask about the Lord, although noble (to some), was seriously wasting time because they were clearly off-route and were searching for a map. That's usually a big hint to let you know that its time to 'kick it up a notch' and not stand around talking about 'seeing someone in heaven'. If the man had answered in the negetive, the mother might have preached...which would have been kinda...counter-productive...

Just what I made out of it...

btw, I love Jesus.

My opinion on the Jesus-incident:

Its simple. Stopping to ask about the Lord, although noble (to some), was seriously wasting time because they were clearly off-route and were searching for a map. That's usually a big hint to let you know that its time to 'kick it up a notch' and not stand around talking about 'seeing someone in heaven'. If the man had answered in the negetive, the mother might have preached...which would have been kinda...counter-productive...

Just what I made out of it...

btw, I love Jesus.

True, but then that's not what happened. No one stopped to ask about the lord. How much time was wasted, maybe 10 seconds with the question and the answer? I still am not seeing anyone making a good point against the Weavers here. And "ifs" are pure conjecture.

I hate this team. All that sweetness and light make my teeth hurt. And they scream WAY more than the Godlewski sisters. Am I supposed to feel sorry for them the entire race just because they lost their father/husband? NOT! Their entertainment value dissipated in the first five minutes of the premiere for this viewer.

Wait until they get eliminated that's going to be a tear jerker television moment. Wonder if they will play some music in the background.

I would assume you are reasonably intelligent to know the character of the country and while you have your beliefs, there is a good argument that the majority of people in this country are of the Christian faith or persuasion whether they are practicing or not. With that being the case, is it really a bad reflection on a person's sanity if she keeps the status quo and extends a token of courtesy or gratitude with her question?

You treat what she said as an assault on your choice to not believe. I think it's absurd and a tad petulant.

Im on both sides of the fence here.

I do find it annoying that she is jesus/god this, and jesus/god that, because i myself am not christian and find it annoying

But, i think if she can find comfort in it, and with other people, the more power to her, and the truck driver she talked to. I mean, they are doing well, and if talking to imaginary people with other people helps her, then again, more power to you!

So glad this team pulled it through tonite dsepite their meltdown...which was funny.

Next week looks hard for them. I sort of find it in poor taste that AR is doing this to them :mellow:

Next week looks hard for them. I sort of find it in poor taste that AR is doing this to them :mellow:

OMG - TOTALLY poor taste.

And then there's also the competition aspect - like why should one team have to face an emotionally-loaded challenge that the others don't?

So glad this team pulled it through tonite dsepite their meltdown...which was funny.

I personally was disgusted when I seen the previews for next week. I cannot believe TAR is doing that. Hopefully they pull through ok

Ok, I need some help, I missed the previews for next week, and I just checked out the website but the video is still of this week, can someone just give me a quick recap of what the previews said? Thanx in advance! :)

Ok, I need some help, I missed the previews for next week, and I just checked out the website but the video is still of this week, can someone just give me a quick recap of what the previews said? Thanx in advance! :)

not sure if it's the road block or detour but it's on a race track and their father/husband died on a racetrack.

(oh my there's the tears again )

oh wow that is terrible, I hope they get through it ok, I wonder if the show knew about this before planning this or if it was already planned and is just a bad coincidence?

Next week's competition is at the Talladega Super Speedway in Alabama, a well-known NASCAR track. The Weaver family's dad/husband died during a NASCAR event at the Daytona International Speedway.

same here, Mo!

I think I am leaning toward NOT liking them...but it is poor taste on CBS's part to make them go through that..

then again as someone else said, they DID sign up for it and a big "oh well, their problem" comes to mind.

I do feel badly for them though...

Let's face it, this team is a bunch of quacks! They're lovable quacks, cute and cuddley with their true love for each other and their charmingly innocent attempt to evangelize on national TV. But they're totally flipping nuts.

The only reason going to a race track would be emotionally trying on them is if they have never gone back since their father/husband died. I find the thought of that disappointing and kinda cowardly. If ya fall off a horse, you get right back on; if a driver crashes, he goes right back out on the track to conquer his fear. If they are from a true racing family this should be a simple familiar task.