Sign in to follow this  
Phil-o-mania

The Schroeder Family

I find this family interesting to watch because of the stepfamily dynamic. Amazing that they cast 10 families for this show, and only one family has been through a divorce. In a country which has a divorce rate of 50%, that's kind of Disneyfying the concept of 'family' don't you think?

I remember having a friend at Hunter's age whose father had remarried, and she pretty much talked about her stepmom the same way. Apparently it's not uncommon for children to feel this way about their stepparents. What's interesting is that he tries so hard to hide it from everybody else. I don't even know if they have any idea how he really feels.

And in Hunter's defense, quite frankly the stepmom was a little bit of a bitch - I mean he's just a kid doing this stressful race. What's more important - him having a friend or them getting farther in the race?

I don't even know if they have any idea how he really feels.

They will soon!!

And in Hunter's defense, quite frankly the stepmom was a little bit of a bitch - I mean he's just a kid doing this stressful race. What's more important - him having a friend or them getting farther in the race?

Getting farther in the race for sure... We are talking a Million dollars here...

What's up with the step mom getting so bent out of shape because the two boys are talking to each other at the airport? Oh no, he's going to give away team strategy.

Then they showed the son calling the step-mom a bitch, I bet she enjoyed watching him say that.

I am just going on what I see... His "she's a Bitch" comment wasn't very quiet or nice... On AR he is a punk and his Dad is a complete Jerk... Every comment or action they make during the race is fair game for us to critique..

Am I missing something or wasn't stepmom basically being a bitch? Good call Hunter, that's what I thought too. Char would've gotten on my last nerve too.

Am I missing something or wasn't stepmom basically being a bitch? Good call Hunter, that's what I thought too. Char would've gotten on my last nerve too.

:rolleyes: Good call Hunter, way to disrespect your stepmother on National TV...

They will soon!!

Getting farther in the race for sure... We are talking a Million dollars here...

Well that's true - it's just a personal family decision. Guess it's not so much the choice she made as the way she enforced it. I mean, Hunter's still a boy. Children that age don't have a concept of what it's like to stress out about a job and have to put up with annoying coworkers so that you can put a roof over your head and food on your table because you have people whose lives are dependant on you. So they don't understand what $1mil would represent. She was screaming at him like he had done something 'wrong' when really it was just a difference in value judgment that he couldn't possibly understand. How the heck is he NOT supposed to conclude that she is a bitch unless she looks at life from his eyes and explains her choices to him. Kids stop responding to pulling rank really fast if things don't add up. Then you've got a kid who not only doesn't respect you, but one whose also making bad decisions because they don't yet know enough to make all the right choices on their own.

Well that's true - it's just a personal family decision. Guess it's not so much the choice she made as the way she enforced it. I mean, Hunter's still a boy. Children that age don't have a concept of what it's like to stress out about a job and have to put up with annoying coworkers so that you can put a roof over your head and food on your table because you have people whose lives are dependant on you. So they don't understand what $1mil would represent. She was screaming at him like he had done something 'wrong' when really it was just a difference in value judgment that he couldn't possibly understand. How the heck is he NOT supposed to conclude that she is a bitch unless she looks at life from his eyes and explains her choices to him. Kids stop responding to pulling rank really fast if things don't add up. Then you've got a kid who not only doesn't respect you, but one whose also making bad decisions because they don't yet know enough to make all the right choices on their own.

Hunter is 14 not 4... Time for the punk to grow up..

I haven't been a teenager for a while, but I do remember when I was 14 I lived with my dad and stepwitch. I know there were several times I was guilty of calling her the "B" word. Yeah, I know it was on national T.V. but I really think at that time he wasn't thinking about the cameras. I think he was just being a 14 year old boy.

Hunter is 14 not 4... Time for the punk to grow up..

well she was being a bitch. jesus christ the kids were just playing around. Perhaps the grownups could learn a thing or two from the kids. I think it is the stepmom who needs to grow up bit.

jesus christ the kids were just playing around.

I prefer to be called King...

They are there to win a million dollars, the kids can play when the race is over...

I prefer to be called King...

They are there to win a million dollars, the kids can play when the race is over...

so do I have this right? The two kids horsing around while waiting for the plane could effect them winning or losing the game? :rolleyes:

so do I have this right? The two kids horsing around while waiting for the plane could effect them winning or losing the game? :rolleyes:

No you have it wrong Neb... That is not what I said..

They are there to win a million Dollars, not to make friends... Plenty of time for the friend thing later...

I may be wrong, but I doubt there's ever been (in the history of the world) ONE healthy, red blooded, hormones raging, authority questioning teenager (maybe with the exception of JesusChrist) who hasn't ever thought or said, in frustration or anger to him/herself or someone else, at one point or another in this "nobody understands me" "I hate everyone and everything" stage of growth, that whoever the female figure who's raising him/her is a "bitch"...

Had he done it to her face would have been disrespectful and punkish, but, he didn't...

Hunter is 14, dealing with the regular teen angst, a stressfull "vacation", PLUS, to top things up, a woman who's not his mother is bossing him around 24/7...and not in a nice way...He needed to vent and... since step mom told him to quit hanging out with the other kid...I suppose, he had to think of a quick comment that would fittingly sum up how he felt at that moment ...I think "she's a bitch" properly captured the essence of his feelings about her behaviour at the time in a, yes, blunt and straight forward, yet succint and accurate manner :D .

Give the kid a break :)

:huh: it most certainly is.

No, it most certainly wasn't!! Go back and look!!

nope, you said the kids should horse around and talk while sitting in the airport doing absolutely waiting for a plane. And what 14 year old doesnt talk like that. Come on, especially with another male the same age. Geta grip

I haven't been a teenager for a while, but I do remember when I was 14 I lived with my dad and stepwitch. I know there were several times I was guilty of calling her the "B" word. Yeah, I know it was on national T.V. but I really think at that time he wasn't thinking about the cameras. I think he was just being a 14 year old boy.

I didn't know my step mom very well when I was 14, but I do remember saying my mom was the B word quite often (of course behind her back) because what 14 year old doesn't really?

By the way, talking about him disrespecting her, well she disrespected Rolly. Get away from that kid???? she could of said, Hunter can you come here for a moment please, and been nice about it. Nothing like making BOTH kids feel like crap.

nope, you said the kids should horse around and talk while sitting in the airport doing absolutely waiting for a plane. And what 14 year old doesnt talk like that. Come on, especially with another male the same age. Geta grip

My grip is just fine thank you..

I never said they should horse around either...

I said Hunter is a punk and I said they are there to win a million Dollars first and make friends later...

That is my opinion and I am sticking with it... :)

My grip is just fine thank you..

I never said they should horse around either...

I said Hunter is a punk and I said they are there to win a million Dollars first and make friends later...

That is my opinion and I am sticking with it... :)

Well since the race was on hold while waiting for airplanes..it seems like it was LATER. There was no need for her to act like she did. It's a game, but you regard the people you play against as competitors not your enemies during a lull in the game. Considering the kindness of The Rogers family to them after Katrina , I hope they learned that lesson. And what's a 14 year old to do when they know the authority figure is WRONG? They rebel and speak out in frustration.

Well since the race was on hold while waiting for airplanes..it seems like it was LATER. There was no need for her to act like she did. It's a game, but you regard the people you play against as competitors not your enemies during a lull in the game. Considering the kindness of The Rogers family to them after Katrina , I hope they learned that lesson. And what's a 14 year old to do when they know the authority figure is WRONG? They rebel and speak out in frustration.

Sorry, that wasn't enough to change my mind...

There was a grin on my face when Hunter said that and it was all "Wait till Char sees this!" around the living room. Fact is, none of us know what Char is like to Hunter. If my father dumped my mother for some bitch, that's what i'd call her too. Be I 4 or 14....provided I knew the word...Its not 'right' but then again, neither is getting Paranoid and threatening your son with isolation during strategy times...

first off i am soooooo glad this team is eliminated, that daughter seriously needed to be slapped from her parents. so disrepectful telling her dad to shut up and other stuff. the only thing i didnt really like about the son was calling his stepmom a b***. the stepmom needed to get a grip tho. come on, the 2 teens were just fooling around not messing up or doing anything inappropriately. the dad, really needs to watch wat he says and how he joke's around (the handicap comment). also the dad needs to step up. i have no idea why in the hell he apologized to his daughter for making her cry when she was disrespecting and backtalking him "shut up dad, ur so annoying! aargh just shut up!" im sorry that they lost all of their belongings to katrina but this family really needs more respect for 1 another and more discipline and watch wat they say.