Phil-o-mania

The Gaghan Family

60 posts in this topic

cbs.com

The Gaghan Family ~ Gastonbury, Connecticut

Gaghan2.jpg

Family of Four: Carissa, 9, (daughter); Bill, 40, (dad);

Tammy, 42 (mom) and Billy, 12, (son).

The Gaghan Family, from Glastonbury, Connecticut, consists of Bill, 40, Tammy, 42, and their children, Billy, 12 and Carissa, 9.

Bill works in jet engine sales and admits his biggest pet peeve about himself is his lack of patience. Bill is hoping 'The Race' will show his family the importance of working together as a team and the benefits of never giving up.

Tammy is a substitute teacher for her local school district. Having lived in Korea for over three years, Tammy and Bill have traveled extensively. Both compete in marathons across the country and are planning to run one in each state.

Billy is entering seventh grade and describes himself as outgoing and adventurous. His mother says he's currently going through typical pre-teen mood swings and hopes that this won't interfere with his ability to focus on 'The Race.' Billy's favorite activities are football and running. He intends to show his dad that he has what it takes to compete in 'The Race.'

Carissa, who will be in the fourth grade, is playful and silly. While she is one of the younger Racers, her dad feels her keen eyes and fighting spirit will make up for her small size. She enjoys running with her dog, Blaze, and playing soccer. Carissa wants to show her parents that she is a tough competitor ready to take on the adults in 'The Race.'

The Gaghan Family has traveled around the world and are hoping those experiences have prepared them for the competition in "The Amazing Race."

This family's got game... That little girl would kick Raffe's ass!!

The look on those guy's faces when those kids were singing as they passed by in the buggy was priceless!!

The look on those guy's faces when those kids were singing as they passed by in the buggy was priceless!!

I posted that in another thread...I was laughing my ass off...they are one of the teams to beat...

Yeah, I saw that too! We were cracking up! That Mom was really hoofin it though!

Those kids are brats. Again parents teaching kids to have poor sportsmanship.

When the boy said he respected the flag and asked to carry it, was really bad sportsmanship...

and that singing that pumped up Mom and Dad during the challenge, well that just shows how bad those brats are...

Oh yeah, it was pretty rude of those kids to help the others build thier tents, that totally outed thier lack of sportsmanship...

When the boy said he respected the flag and asked to carry it, was really bad sportsmanship...

and that singing that pumped up Mom and Dad during the challenge, well that just shows how bad those brats are...

Oh yeah, it was pretty rude of those kids to help the others build thier tents, that totally outed thier lack of sportsmanship...

Everyone wants to point out the bad and not the good it seems. I unfortunatly didn't get to see ALL of the show but I did see the singing, but the only thing that bothered me about that was the weight difference on the people pulling, although it would've been rotten to make the kids do any of the pushing or pulling. I didn't want either team with little kids to be eliminated first as I thought it would be too sad for the young kids and it ended up it was a sad moment when the Black family was eliminated first.

Those kids are brats. Again parents teaching kids to have poor sportsmanship.

Way to go! Thanks for showing us that great sportsmanship your parents taught you!

Everyone wants to point out the bad and not the good it seems. I unfortunatly didn't get to see ALL of the show but I did see the singing, but the only thing that bothered me about that was the weight difference on the people pulling, although it would've been rotten to make the kids do any of the pushing or pulling. I didn't want either team with little kids to be eliminated first as I thought it would be too sad for the young kids and it ended up it was a sad moment when the Black family was eliminated first.

I thnk the detours were designed perfectly to balance the differences between teams with those with lesser physical abilities (buggie race ideal for those with lighter or younger people) house was perfect when there were at least 2 able bodied people and one or two with good buiding judgement to help guide the work.

I don't see any of the so called disrespect in the Gaghans kids that others seem to mention. I can't imagine what planet they must live on where kids act like little pod-people with Emily Post fed routines. The Paolos are horrid little punk jerks, but the Gaghans are kids I'd be proud to have.

The Paolos are horrid little punk jerks, but the Gaghans are kids I'd be proud to have.

I agree with you on the Paola family. I could NOT even begin to imagine being their mother. I would embarass myself for sure by telling them right what was what.

I am a victim of my own dislikes (does that make sense?) by saying everyone up above, I mean Many people NOT everyone :(

I thnk the detours were designed perfectly to balance the differences between teams with those with lesser physical abilities (buggie race ideal for those with lighter or younger people) house was perfect when there were at least 2 able bodied people and one or two with good buiding judgement to help guide the work.

I don't see any of the so called disrespect in the Gaghans kids that others seem to mention. I can't imagine what planet they must live on where kids act like little pod-people with Emily Post fed routines. The Paolos are horrid little punk jerks, but the Gaghans are kids I'd be proud to have.

Another fine post by DonChep!!! You tell it exactly like it is!!

Cheers!!

I saw it all Diamond and I thought these two kids were fairly well behaved for thier ages... It seems to me they have respect for thier parents and people around them...

I don't think they have bad sportsmenship, but there morals are a bit off. Near the start of the show when they had the family talking about them selfs, the little girl I think said something to the effect that they would be good at pretending to play and have fun around the other teams while spying on them . And some of the comments they made were not what I would teach a child. I wonder what kind of parents they are to teach kids that spying and mocking others is a good thing. And that song did not seem to me to be to motivate there parents it was it make fun of the other team. If they were moviating there parents they would have done it the whole time. Instead of laughing at the other team and start singing. I can not stand this team they are the second most annoying team this season

I didn't think either of those kids were respectful to their parents. So far they are far from my favs.

WhAAAAAT? Where were they being disrespectful? I thought the little girl was great. The boy was kind of getting on my nerves (yelling "I'll do it" when they got to the detour, fussing with the radio in the car...but then again, I get annoyed easily when watching TV!), but overall they're one of my favorite teams!

I didn't see any poor sportsmanship either if anything they worked well as a team. As for the little girl talking about spying, this is a reality show and although I'm not sure how much spying helps in this game specific I don't think there is anything wrong with that as long as she knows not to do it outside the game. As for the singing whether to encourage the parents (which I did hear the little boy do) or to taunt the other team it was hilarous (sp) again this is suppose to be entertainment and it even possible that mom and dad may have mentioned something later that night about being discreet. As I mentioned before you could look at the kids size as being an advantage in this particular task BUT mom and dad had to do all the pushing and pulling whereas the older teams did have an option to switch out. And it by no means looked easy mom and dad were doing some sweating after the comp. Anyway at this point they are one of my favorite teams with the Paolo being my least favorite.

What I don't get is every season a group of teams will be driving along and when one car passes another they smile and wave and you know it's cuz they are passing them. So now why is it poor sportsmanship for children to do the same thing?

What I don't get is every season a group of teams will be driving along and when one car passes another they smile and wave and you know it's cuz they are passing them. So now why is it poor sportsmanship for children to do the same thing?

Perfect analogy. I think that some just don't want the show to change from their way or to try something new that "might" improve it.

Personally, I thought it was funny because it fit what was currently happening. I also think that if I was in a "game", I probably would have chuckled as they went right by me. But I have been in sports all my life (20 years of yr round swimming and 20 years of volleyball) and psyching the other guy out was all part of the competition/game.

and that singing that pumped up Mom and Dad during the challenge

That was something I could not relate to. Because the only thing that would have been pumped was my ear as my dad yanked on it for making noise. :lol:

Wow - surprised to see that the two kids may not be the weakest link in this family. I'm surprised so many teams got derailed looking for the right wading pool, but the little boy was right - why didn't the dad just ask for directions?

And I wonder if we sometimes lose something through editing. I'm not sure why some teams would choose the roadblock they do. Like wouldn't you thing the Geghans would have picked pouring oil over carrying 5 grown men on stretchers? Maybe they didn't want their kids near the matches? :blink:

i dont see this kids being disrespectful at all. i think they are a great family, and they work well together. we have to remember, they are just kids also

Have a small child of my own, I found myself cheering for this team. I lved it when the mom said something to the effect of them coming in first, "Wouldn't that be cool!" I even tolerated the slightly snotty behavior that comes with a 12 year old.

However, after watching last night's condescending behavior at the Waffle House, I would rather see the Paolo's win. will reality tv contestants EVER realize that everything they say is fair game?

Hey Mr. Gaghan, saying "Good" with a sneer when a teenager is cracking under pressure does not endear you to the audience or the other racers. I know you will probably say that this is a game and you aren't here to make friends. It's obvious you really don't care if you look like a chump in front of your son. But, Mr. Gaghan, you are a chump! Hopefully the over-inflated head you somehow manage to balance will slow you AND your family down. I hope your children watch this episode and realize that you are a jerk.

I hope Rolly sees this episode and unleashes the fury of the buggy on you! Hee-Yah!!

Team Fruit Loops are the ones that need to go home. Freaking out on a bus ride? If they can't handle the pressure they should just quit and go home.