Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jem

TV Gal Mourns the TV Deaths

7 posts in this topic

TV Gal Mourns the Dead

]By Amy Amatangelo

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - - Speedle. Judith. Mrs. Huber. Boone. We hardly knew you. Dearly beloved we are gathered here today to talk about TV deaths.

May sweeps in the utter certainty that somebody somewhere is going to die. Beloved and not-so-beloved characters will meet the grim reaper and pop into the unemployment line throughout May.

As we prepare for the TV body count to increase, a look back at some TV Deaths:

• Best Television Death: Bobby's heartbreaking demise on "NYPD Blue" was a beautifully told story of the journey towards death. Clearly, the man deserves to be president.

• Most Honest Portrayal of Death: Joyce Summers on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." From Buffy's numb and disconnected reaction to her friends' utter helplessness, this is the episode that got everything right.

• Worst Television Death: Billy Thomas on "Ally McBeal." He dyed his hair, then he died and then, most unfortunately, he came back as a ghost. It was the end of the end for that show.

• Most Premature Death: Oh, you know I still feel cheated by Danny's death on "NYPD Blue."

• Most Confusing Death: I'm still not sure if Elena was alive or dead on the series finale of "Felicity." Are you?

• Most Gruesome and Unnecessary Death: It's a tie between Dr. Romano being splattered on "ER" and poor Alex being sliced in half on "Third Watch." Both actors deserved better.

• Most Shocking Death: Teri Bauer on "24." Didn't they know the rules? People in the opening credits aren't supposed to die. We now take it for granted that those who come in contact with Jack Bauer often don't live to tell the tale. But in the show's first season, it was a brave and risky move that proved no one is safe in Jack's world and there would never be such a thing as job security on the popular FOX series.

• TV Death that Took Guts: "Everwood" demonstrated rare television bravado by killing off Colin -- irrefutable proof that the show would never be your typical teen drama.

• Would You Please Die Already Death: Seriously, Mark Greene had the longest death in TV history on "ER."

• Introduce a Character Just so He Can Die Death: Like the President's son who was doomed the minute he told his dad he loved him on "24," poor Mark Harmon never had a chance on "The West Wing."

What are some of your more memorable TV deaths?

Most Honest Portrayal of Death:

I definitely agree with this one. I still can't watch this episode and not cry. Why that show never got nominated for an Emmy I will never know.

I MISS BUFFY!

It's the same for all Sci Fi / Fantasy genre shows Skye, and it's wrong. I could stack a few Star Treak episodes up against many of the traditional shows that win. I agree that Buffy deserved an Emmy!

The most shocking and sad death I can recall was in Season 6 with Kellie Martin as Dr. Lucy Knight and Noah Wylie as Dr. John Carter.

Here is the synopsis from the episode in which I am referring:

Lucy seeks advice from Carter while treating a young law student who may have schizophrenia, but he keeps brushing her off. When he finally gets around to checking on Lucy, he finds her lying on the floor, stabbed in the chest, just after being stabbed himself...

Weaver discovers Carter and Lucy. As police begin to arrive, Benton rushes between the two, being the only surgical resident on duty. Greene and Corday are paged to return to the hospital. Carter almost loses his kidney, but with quick thinking by Anspaugh, Benton is able to save it and Carter will be okay. On the other hand, Lucy has her chest cracked because her heart stops but she is stabilized. In the OR waiting room, while waiting for emergency surgery to fix a life-threatening blood clot, Lucy flatlines. Romano and Corday desperately try to save her life but she dies and the staff receives the news.

I was shocked and stunned when this happened! I don't think I have EVER reacted to anything on TV the way I reacted to that. That totally floored me and I just couldn't believe it.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Tabitha: That episode of ER was definitely one of the most heart wrenching episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. I was crying so hard that I almost hyperventilated. It was an excellent episode even though it was awful to watch, so awful I can't bring myself to watch that episode if I catch it on reruns...too painful.

(Sidenote: The guy who stabbed her was played by David Krumholtz who now stars on "Numbers" and his wife was played by Liza Weil who plays Paris on "Gilmore Girls"....just a piece of TV trivia for you all.)

Tabitha and XS... I would have voted with you two. I was so caught up in this eppy that I actually asked myself "why, WHY, WHY" as if they were real people in my life that I had lost. Dr. Carter's scene where he gets the news of Lucy's death is so emotional, don't even like to think about it..

I know we didn't get to see this guy much but what about " Jack " from Close to Home, He was killed in a car accident leaving Annabeth and their newborn child. We didn't get to see much of Jack but he was always home at the end of the day.

I wonder if that was the writers intentions in the beginning of the season.

Jinx