Dutch BB: Watch Free online, Pregnant HM to give birth

Brekkie Boy

http://bigbrother.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds8570.html

It's the place where Big Brother began, but it disappeared in it's home country after four series.

However, a new network will be home to a fifth series three years after the last - and free live streaming will be available online.

Not only that though, you'll be able to download each and every episode for free from the TV company's website using their Video-on-Demand service: http://www.talpa.tv/web/show/id=47822/progid=1

The official site is http://www.bigbrother.tv

Interestingly they are using the UK eye logo - using the exact same blue and black striped logo we used for the recent Big Brother 6.

More interestingly though - and disturbingly - is that amongst the housemates will be a pregnant woman who is due to give birth in the house! That's just going too far for me!

Talpa, the new television station launched earlier this month by the billionaire creator of Big Brother John de Mol, will broadcast a new series from Sunday in which a contestant is due to give birth six weeks into the show.

A spokeswoman for the social affairs and labor ministry confirmed a report in De Telegraaf daily on Saturday that inspectors were examining a request by Big Brother producers for the newborn baby to be allowed to appear on the program.

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Dutch authorities are investigating plans by the producers of the "Big Brother" reality television show to include a pregnant contestant who will give birth on the show.

The Netherlands has strict rules governing young children acting on television, in films or on the stage.

The ruling Christian Democrats have condemned the idea of a birth on the live show, but the 27-year-old pregnant contestant identified only as Tanja defended the idea.

"I think that my child will be proud of it later," she told De Telegraaf.

The show's director Hummie van der Tonnekreek said Tanja would be well looked after in the Big Brother house, where a group of 12 strangers are locked in together and gradually voted out by the audience.

"She will get the maximum attention and care," Van der Tonnekreek said.

Versions of the show first aired in the Netherlands in 1999 have since been produced in dozens of countries worldwide.

I cannot understand why any woman would want to endanger her unborn child by entering the big brother house while pregnant. And they are checking into it only based on young children appearing on television? WTF???? Many former houseguests have said over and over again, it is a very stressful situation one they would never do again, so why would any woman want to enter the house while pregnant?

That's just weird. I'm 3 months pregnant myself and I could not imagine doing something like that. Maybe (and hopefully) the show is offering them some really top notch pre natal care, but I doubt it if the show is anything like the one here and they have no real contact with the show's crew. What if something goes wrong? What if they all go into labor at once? The chances for a foul up are too great to risk something that dumb.

Most of you have probably found out about this and are watching, but for those who want to see the free live Big Brother Netherlands feeds, I give you the link:

http://www.aldav.com/aldavtvdutch.html

Even though I don't know Dutch, it is interesting to watch, and in the past two days, I haven't seen any FotH time outs :lol: . So enjoy!

Oh and by the way, the time zone differences:

Eastern Time: Dutch time is 6 hours ahead.

Central Time: Dutch time is 7 hours ahead.

Mountain Time: Dutch time is 8 hours ahead.

Pacific Time: Dutch time is 9 hours ahead.

and so on..

Most of you have probably found out about this and are watching, but for those who want to see the free live Big Brother Netherlands feeds, I give you the link:

http://www.aldav.com/aldavtvdutch.html

Even though I don't know Dutch, it is interesting to watch, and in the past two days, I haven't seen any FotH time outs :lol: .  So enjoy!

Is this the BB that's going to have a pregnant woman who will deliver 6 weeks into the season?

Oh my gosh...if she's already in there then she's due soon.  I hope I wouldn't have a problem figuring out who she is!!!  hahahaaaa...but ya' never know!

If you're watching now (BBDT: 11:53PM) she's in the hot tub. Her name is Tonja if anyone is wondering, her biography is on http://www.talpa.tv/web/show/id=47633/dbid...ypeofpage=47737

Pregnant woman may give birth on TV in latest Dutch Big Brother show

TOSTERLING

August 29, 2005

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - The latest version of the game show Big Brother launched over the weekend in the Netherlands features a woman who is seven months pregnant, raising the possibility she will give birth live on television.

The Dutch Social Affairs Ministry will decide later this week whether to grant a work permit allowing the baby - essentially a child actor - to make an appearance on the show which began Sunday.

Ministry spokeswoman Bea Versteeg said that as long as no laws are broken the ministry has no objection in principle to having babies on TV. But the amount of time the infant can appear on camera will be limited due to child labour laws, she said.

A spokeswoman for Endemol, the creator of the Big Brother series, said "we really don't know yet what we'll do" when the pregnant woman, identified only by her first name Tanja, goes into labour.

"She may be voted off the program first," Endemol spokeswoman Cathelijne Nijssen said.

Nijssen said that in any case, the show would not take medical risks with the baby and a birth would be presented in "a tasteful manner."

"We've spoken to gynecologists, psychologists, they all think it could be better, warmer to have a baby in the Big Brother house than in a hospital," she said.

Big Brother, created in the Netherlands in 1999 and then marketed in dozens of countries around the world, features a group of contestants who are confined in a house for 100 days under constant camera surveillance. Tanja's baby is due in about 49 days, the show's producers said.

Viewers vote the contestants off one by one in what is essentially a popularity contest. This season's winner will receive $491,000 US.

The pregnancy publicity stunt revived ratings at the television station Talpa, owned by Dutch media tycoon John de Mol, which began broadcasting in mid-August. De Mol is seen as the architect of the original Big Brother, which ushered in the age of "reality" television shows.

"We had 1.5 million viewers (Sunday) night, that's the second best in the country" after highlights of the weekend's soccer matches, Nijssen said Monday.

But reactions to the idea of a live birth on TV were muted in the Netherlands, a country of 16 million people, where rules on television nudity and sex-related issues are relatively relaxed.

Last week Talpa introduced a show about women seeking sperm donors, including a single woman and a lesbian couple. But it was cancelled after one episode, apparently due to poor ratings.

One educational television program in 2002 called The Birth showed women giving birth. They were blanketed from the chest down during labour.

Few biographical details were released about the pregnant woman Tanja other than that she is 27, lives in the northern Dutch city of Groningen, dreams of studying law, and became pregnant by accident.

She said she thought the Big Brother house would be "an ideal place to give birth."

She has shocked other contestants by smoking several cigarettes since they entered the house together last Wednesday.

On Monday, she complained about not being allowed to ride an exercise bicycle along with other contestants. "I can too bike. In fact, I had to bike as part of the entrance examination."

Big Brother is named after the all-seeing government in the novel 1984 by George Orwell.

What if they evict the baby, but not the mother...  or vice versa?! :)

I'm not sure, but if they have an AC (Amsterdam's Choice), and vote the baby back in, hopefully the baby will keep his finger on the button...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Robinluvsbb

It seems to me that there are different socially acceptable behaviours for pregnant women in the Netherlands. I have seen Tanja smoking like a chimney while in the Big Brother house. Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching the DUTCH Feeds daily but here and there. Trying to get my fill since our BB is over.

This is what I have learned since watching the Dutch Feeds. Rob has an artificial left leg from the knee down. He likes to juggle for one of his past times, as so does many of the other house mates. Dutch HMs like American music alot. I catch them singing our songs a great deal and they don't get cut. In fact Dutch Feeds don't time out. The screen is much larger and the feeds come in much clearer.

The pregnant HM is due to have her baby in the next 2 weeks. They will not show the birth but will show the baby after its born. We will get to see the baby for an hour every day for 8 days then the baby will no longer be in the house. Oddly enough the HMs wear hats with a pin on it that says "NO SMOKING" yet they all smoke. The pregnant HM smokes as well and rolls her own cigarette's. Isn't that tabbaco harsh??

I saw 5 HMs eating raw onions like they were apples. Not sure if it was a bet, comp or for fun. LOL They are down to 11 house mates.

• 2 weeks later...

HG's are ALL knitting (making squares to build an afghan.... looks like they've got a lot of squares done).

Singing off and on... sometimes the guys play drums with the knitting needles....

Looks like it might be getting close to dinner time. Only about 1/2 of them knitting at the moment.

HOUSE LOOKS GREAT !

Saw an eviction the other day.... lots of crying.

In case you want to pop over there...

http://www.talpa.tv/big-brother/live_camera2.html

Archived