Live Feed and BB AfterDark - 8/15

lvgal

I'm also WAYYYYYYYY over Shelly holding court........and b4 today, I actually liked Shelly, but her kid says, "yes maam" when she answers her? someone puleeze tell me if I am culturally out of the loop, but ppl actually make their children still say "yes mam"? (IDN even how to SPELL it!) Where the hell does she live?

I'm also WAYYYYYYYY over Shelly holding court........and b4 today, I actually liked Shelly, but her kid says, "yes maam" when she answers her? someone puleeze tell me if I am culturally out of the loop, but ppl actually make their children still say "yes mam"? (IDN even how to SPELL it!) Where the hell does she live?

I believe Annie Oakley's younger siblings called her 'mam' too....

:animated_rotfl: on that note, Len, I really am going to sleep :bedtime:

But, as much as I was on the fence about Shelly, if all the houseguests continue to act like "Shellywives" I won't be able to watch, never liked the original "Stepfordwives" and totally avoid ppl who can be taken in by snake salesman, no matter what they're selling......this is becoming near CREEPY on my creep meter.

Some of us do raise our kids/grandkids to say "ma'am" and "sir." It's not a formality but a simple title of respect and is a good trait to carry, IMO. It certainly won't hurt them as they grow up. It's second nature for some kids and it doesn't make them uncomfortable to be consistently mannerly and respectful of their parents, g-parents and other elders. My grandson will call me ma'am and then grab a blanket, crawl up in my lap, give me kisses, talk about everything under the sun and take a nap. He's not uncomfortable with me or psychologically hurt by the using the title.

Kudos to Shelly and Tony for raising their daughter with that little bit of charm. Apparently I'm out of the cultural loop if people think it's wrong or weird but I'll happily stay there. :)

My husband's grandchildren (3) all use sir and maam and they come from a relatively sophisticated setting. Of course, they are all a bunch of wild indians so there is that, as well. I hope the PC police don't come for me. Some people consider those terms objectifying in certain situations but I think that they are okay. Doesn't matter. Do with your kids as you wish just don't ask me to babysit. Thanks.

It's a southern thing. We have relatives who live in Alabama, Louisianna, and Georgia who all use maam.

I spent several years as a young child living with relatives in North Carolina and we were taught to always say yes mam and yes sir. Until I was 10 and moved to California/Chicago (back and forth) I didn't know there was really alcohol and people really drank. I thought it was just something in the movies. I had never heard the "F" word until I was 10 years old. Things are just different for some depending on location and parental standards.

I live in SW Ohio & we use m'am/sir here. Well, most of us do. However, I have never addressed my parents or family members with those terms, that seems odd to me? I always address them(as do my children) with their 'proper title' (i.e. mom/dad/grandma/grandpa. aunt/uncle). I agree it's a sign of respect & manners & am proudly teaching my kiddos to do the same. =)

Kudos to Shelly & her hubs for teaching raising their lil lady with manners =)

I spent several years as a young child living with relatives in North Carolina and we were taught to always say yes mam and yes sir. Until I was 10 and moved to California/Chicago (back and forth) I didn't know there was really alcohol and people really drank. I thought it was just something in the movies. I had never heard the "F" word until I was 10 years old. Things are just different for some depending on location and parental standards.

Hey I live in the Midwest, and we sirred and Maamed here, but a little different from family to family, prolly depedned on how strict your family was as to whether you answered that way, I see nothing wrong with it, it's just a respect thing, and really popular in the south for sure, a little outdated perhaps in 2011 but hey to each his own.

I was raised to say yes ma'am and yes sir also. It was respect. Also would NEVER call an aunt or uncle by their first name - it is always Aunt Betty and Uncle Joe type stuff. Call the neighbors Mrs Miller not Lola - in fact when my kids went to a sitter they always called her Miss Betty

(please note the names have been changed to protect the innocent!)

I would find it pretty sad if people in the south are the only ones to teach their children respect for their elders. It's not something from the dark ages. Showing respect by saying yes ma'am, no ma'am helps develop a child in a positive direction and there's nothing wrong with that. wink.gif

Ditto kywildcat.

I was born in Pennsylvania and lived in Maryland most of my life.

I was taught, my kids were taught and most of our family use (and were taught) to say Maam and sir.

Or Mrs or Mr when talking to - or about our elders.

My nieces and nephew who are now grown and have family's of their own still call me Aunt L____.

ummm.... lol.... how did this discussion start ???

Archived