Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dragonfly

Donald Trump

9 posts in this topic

(From TV Guide Insider 4/11/05)

Your Apprentice Questions Answered!

by Ali Gazan and Linda Holmes

Ask Donald Trump how the third season of The Apprentice is going and he'll cry, "People love it!" He'll also point out that it won its time slot a few episodes back with a mere clip show. Yet while it's true that millions are still tuning in, many of those fans have issues with the show (see, we do read your e-mails). So we presented your questions to Trump, face-to-face. Here's what he had to say.

Why are we seeing less of the tasks this season?

They are more complex. Remember, we started off selling lemonade and things like that. But suddenly, because of the success of the show, we've had Burger King, Pepsi, Crest. Pontiac is coming in shortly. They're launching a car on the show. We like that, because it's corporate America, which is great. [Also], people love the boardroom interaction better than the tasks. So we've shortened the tasks and lengthened the boardroom.

Do you watch footage of the tasks, or do you make your decisions strictly in the boardroom?

I watch as much footage of the tasks as I can; and of course I rely very much on George and Carolyn, since they've seen it all.

Do you take into account a person's overall performance or just how they performed that week?

When we started out, it was supposed to be week to week. But as we went through the season, I felt like it was unfair to go, "Gee, you're a star, and then you have a bad week, so you're fired." Bren had a couple of great weeks, and then he had that horrible week with the Dove commercial, but I didn't get rid of him. The past now has a much greater influence than it did at the beginning.

It also seems that people are more intent on sabotaging their own teams rather than beating the other group. Why aren't they reprimanded for that?

They're pretty strongly reprimanded. You see some of that in the boardroom, and [it happens] beyond the boardroom, with George and Carolyn.

You fired several project managers in a row. Don't you think that's been making the show too predictable?

If a project fails, generally speaking, the team leader is responsible. The project manager has a huge advantage, too

CRUISE TRUMPED

news042020050111xw.th.jpg

April 20, 2005 NYPost -- The storm-battered ship Norwegian Dawn was coming back to New York through gale-force winds to make a scheduled TV shoot for "The Apprentice" - a product placement that cost the cruise company more than $1million, sources said yesterday.

Donald Trump yesterday confirmed the ship _slammed by a 70-foot "freak wave" during the storm - was slated to be shot in New York early Sunday morning for an episode of his hit show. "We would love to have had them, but obviously they weren't able to make it," Trump told The Post.

Norwegian Cruise Line admitted the ship's return had been pushed up a week before departure - from 10 a.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. - but attributed the change to "operational reasons" and refused to elaborate. But a source close to the show said Norwegian paid Trump's producers a seven-figure sum for the ship to appear in the show - a big marketing coup. "They wanted to be on 'The Apprentice' because it's such a hot show," the source said.

Shaken passengers returned to New York a day late Monday morning, telling horror stories of the all-night storm and freak wave that struck on the way from the Bahamas. A New York travel agent with 35 years' experience said it was distressing Norwegian may have put the 8 a.m. Sunday filming session before the safety of its passengers.

"In the event of a storm, it's normal for a cruise ship to sail away from it, even if that means they'll be delayed in coming back," said the agent, who had clients on the cruise. "It's not uncommon to alter course in severe weather." Passenger Aldin Mamish, from New Jersey, said he was convinced the ship had been pushing to make port. "[it] should have stayed and waited for the storm to pass," said Mamish, 48, "but [it] didn't."

Norwegian spokeswoman Susan Robison last night refused to comment on the filming for "The Apprentice" or on the $1 million fee. But she denied the captain was under any pressure to hurry back. She said the captain had believed he could steer through the edges of the storm, but that it behaved differently than forecast. She said the captain slowed the ship to a low speed of only four knots to minimize the rocking of the ship and discomfort for the passengers. "There was no place to steer around," she said. "The captain acted completely appropriately, with his No.1 interest being the safety of the passengers and crew. We were not rushing anywhere."

FROM TV GUIDE: The Water Cooler

Trump Unauthorized

Damn! Just as the infamous Trump wrap-around hairdo made its first appearance on the head of The Donald (Justin Louis), this two-hour exercise in unauthorized narcissism came to a screeching halt. So unfair.

The movie was beyond subtle in its portrayal of Trump as a walking bloated ego. In fact, it was so over-the-top that you'd have to play a drinking game to ease the pain of watching. But be warned: don't drink every time Trump utters a word of self-praise, like "ambition," "talented" or "accomplished." If you do that, you'll fall over within minutes. Rather, chug after hearing a complete sentence of self-grandeur, such as "I am a mogul. A magnate... I am American royalty." Or, when he tells Ivana that women just flock to him. "They look at me. They can't keep their hands off me." Yeah, right. I'm willing to bet that there are a few strong women who can withstand the power of this TV Trump.

Nonetheless, this train wreck of a movie did offer up one gem: Katheryn Winnick, who stole the show as Ivana Trump. I laughed uncontrollably at this dialogue: "Would you prefer to be making love now, Donald?" How seductive. And when Ivana confronts Marla Maples in Aspen? Meow! That was hands down, the cheesiest (and best) part of the movie, reminiscent of those Dynasty catfights with female arms flailing in all directions.

The clumsy attempt at the end to catch up to present day Trump, aka The Apprentice-maker, was abrupt, to say the least. After almost two hours of '80s excess and '90s financial collapse, suddenly it's a decade later and Trump is asked to star in his own reality extravaganza. We learn that he doesn't "like firing people. I've never been comfortable with it." Wow, can't you just feel the irony? I might have, had it not been spelled out for me.

Thanks for posting this Ranster. I watched this last night but couldn't decide how to go about posting something. I've read other reviews that really bashed Loius's portrayal of Trump. I thought he did a rather accurate job. He was pretty good at doing Trumps lips and the reviewer above was right, he was starting to get into the wrap around comb over. There was nothing we didn't know in this little flick but it was fun to watch. I had to come on line though and google Trump, the timeline in the movie seemed a little disjointed.

I didn't like the ending to this show. I know it was sweeps week but it should have been a two part show. 2x2hours just for better detail.

It sure did seem to be missing something ... but the whole season seemed flat and "tired" ...

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, THE INSIDER

Trump Talks Martha, Randall and Apprentice No. 5!

by Ileane Rudolph

060227insider1.jpg

Donald Trump, The Apprentice

The Donald has spoken. "When you win the World Series, like we did with The Apprentice, you don't make too many changes," Donald Trump says on the eve of the NBC series' fifth edition. "The big change is always the cast." True, but there are some other surprises this time around. Premiering tonight at 9 pm/ET

Courtesy of: TV GUIDE, INSIDER

Does Trump Fake Apprentice Twists?

by Matt Webb Mitovich

060526insider4.jpg

Donald Trump, The Apprentice

Oftentimes at this point in The Apprentice's umpteen-week "job interview"

Courtesy of: REALITY TV MAGAZINE

Donald Trump Challenges Vince McMahon

trump_hair_challenge.jpg

Earlier this week during the taping of RAW