Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Subscribe to the Big Brother Live Feeds
Photo

American Idol General Discussion

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,521 posts
:omg:

Did you see the announcement that Fox made about AI posted on
Morty's Home Page ???

(it's at the TOP of page)

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
Pokie: I can't find what you are referring too...what's up?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,521 posts
ohh

at the top - right hand corner of The Forum Page where all the shows
are listed http://tvfanforums.net/
you'll see a little box with 4 things listed on to choosefrom...
like this vvvv

More Morty Links

---> Home <----
Big Brother Daily Update
Index of Classic TV
Donate to the Site

click on 'Home'

(it'll be right at the top of that page)

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
I smell an
Spoiler

gizzmotor

gizzmotor

• Pip
  • 3,000 posts
Way to go Morty....LOL :party_smilie:

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,521 posts
Well... I think this thread can actually be used for General Discussion
from here on in.

Don't know about the rest of you... but I bought the April Fool's joke
about American Idol ... hook, line and sinker.

If nothing else... my grandaughter had a ball telling a few of her
friends who are Idol fans.

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
Top 9 songs this week - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame songs.

Coming up this week on American Idol 2011, the remaining nine singers will be performing tracks from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame which covers pretty a huge range of songs including music which has influenced rock ‘n roll. So yeah, Scotty will still find something to fit in to Country and Jacob will get to overdo a hit.

Califcyclone

Califcyclone

• Pip
  • 966 posts
I am still clueless what the Great April Fool's prank was that Morty's pulled out?
Please share the joke as I love a truly good/funny prank.
I am sure I would have fallen into the trap.

My greatniece and newphew told us they made special brownies for us - when I opened the package I found a couple of BROWN "E"s. It was cute.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,521 posts
Sorry about that Califcyclone.

When you checked Morty's Home Page ... right at the top
the first atricle was a headline about AI being cancelled
after this weeks show because of slipping ratings and the reasons.
They explained the numbers the past 2 or 3 weeks and claimed
that they were losing sponsors and viewers, etc. and to
read further__________

This is where you 'clicked' to read the rest of the story -
and - of course when you did - it was a huge silly face
and a big APRIL FOOL :partytime:

(Now, if I can just remember to see if I can rig up that Brown-E
thing to pull on my grandaughter next year)

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
And the theme for this week is...........(drum roll haha): Movie theme songs. Had to share the stuff copied below as it is just kinda sarcastic and funny, and I liked it!

The “American Idol” Top 8 are set to take on songs from the movies this week. That’s a pretty broad theme, so picking what I’d like to hear them sing this week wasn’t easy. I based my choices on the song list the Season 9 contestants had to chose from and AFI’s Top 100 Songs from Movies list. So who really knows if any of the songs I pick for them are even available. But, at any rate, it’s still fun to pick and imagine. The contestants and songs are in random order.
Paul McDonald, “Mrs. Robinson” from “The Graduate.” He could appeal more to the mature woman voter this way. ha. It would be fun for him to do a nice acoustic version. Just him and his guitar. If he wants something a little more produced, maybe “(Everything I do) I do For You.” He and Bryan Adams kind of have similar voices.
Jacob Lusk, “Over the Rainbow” from “The Wizard of Oz.” He could easily put his gospel slant on this one. And it could have all sorts of double (even triple) meaning … with or without ruby slippers. Too bad he’s already done “I Believe I Can Fly” from “Space Jam.” And by “too bad” I mean “Thank God.”
James Durbin, “Born to Be Wild” from “Easy Rider.” Sure Adam Lambert sang this but when has that ever stopped a current contestant. After last week’s pointless slow down, we can expect James to turn things back up. This one could work. It’s familiar with everyone and lends itself to some new interpretations. If not that, then maybe “Old Time Rock and Roll” from “Risky Business.”
Lauren Alaina, “I Will Always Love You” from “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas” not “The Bodyguard.” I’d like to hear Lauren do Dolly Parton’s version. Or at least a mixture of her’s and Whitney Houston’s. Lauren was tough to pick for. I considered “What a Feeling” from “Flashdance” and “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” But neither seemed to be the right choice for her.
Haley Reinhart, “Take My Breath Away” from “Top Gun.” To be honest, I don’t really think this is the best song for Haley. If the song selection is more broad than I imagine, then I’d pick “At Last” by Etta James. It’s been in several movies and would definitely qualify and I think Haley could shine with it. If Naima Adedapo had not already done “Summertime” from “Porgy and Bess,” then maybe that would’ve worked for her as well.
Casey Abrams, “I’m Alright” from “Caddyshack.” This is kind of a douchey song and Casey is kind of douchey, so I think it would be perfect. He seems to mostly be doing this competition as some sort of elaborate joke anyway (except for last week … I was able to take him seriously last week).
Scotty McCreery, “The Devil Went Down To Georgia” from “Urban Cowboy.” I could’ve easily gone with “Jailhouse Rock” but since he can’t do another Elvis song already, this one is right up his alley. To sound like a broken record here, I’ll say I’d rather him put his country spin on something less country like “The Rose” by Bette Midler, but since I know that’ll never happen, I’ll try to stay near Scotty’s mindset. So “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” it should be. Even if it is just to make Jacob sweat over such an evil, devilish song within his earshot.
Stefano Langone, “Purple Rain” from “Purple Rain.” I don’t know why I want to hear Stefano do Prince, but I do. But he’d never do this song. Just wishful thinking. He’s officially the one person left to not really take any risks even though no one but me has seemed to notice. So that being said, he’ll probably do something predictable like “Kiss From a Rose” by Seal. “Stand By Me” could also be a good (but safe) choice for Stefano.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,521 posts
Seems like this season we have almost every style of singing covered.

Country and light pop
Rod Stewart-ish style
COUNTRY
Blues and stylist
Inspirational ballads
Band singer
Whatever Haley is (?)... all over the place
METAL

First year I've had a hard time having a favorite.

The three I see standing at the end of tonite's show
waiting for the ax to fall are Jacob, Stefano and Haley

bboop

bboop

• Pip
  • 125 posts
Loved the group singing tonite. Thought they all did well together.

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
The theme for this week (4/20/11) is 21st Century Songs. Article from EW below.

Danger, American Idol contestants, danger! You’re about to enter “Songs from the 21st century” week, territory fraught with peril on all sides. The temptation: To sing major hit songs readily familiar to most of the viewing audience. The danger: That those songs are too readily familiar to most of the viewing audience and/or those songs are not exactly engineered as vocal showcases. That said, there are some recent hits our Idol Top 7 could hit out of the park if done right given the right guidance — i.e. our completely unsolicited advice. Two rules, though, as we dive into what the finalists should sing (and should avoid at all costs): 1) No one should sing a song from a previous Idol winner or contestant, and 2) No one should sing Daniel Powter’s “Bad Day.” Forthwith, our picks:

Casey Abrams
DO SING: “Chasing Cars,” Snow Patrol
DO NOT SING: “Waiting On the World to Change,” John Mayer

Lauren Alaina
DO SING: “Love Song,” Sara Bareilles
DO NOT SING: “You Belong With Me,” Taylor Swift

James Durbin
DO SING: “Wake Me Up When September Ends,” Green Day
DO NOT SING: Anything by Linkin Park or Nickelback

Stefano Langone
DO SING: “Never Give You Up,” Raphael Saadiq
DO NOT SING: “You’re Beautiful,” James Blunt

Jacob Lusk
DO SING: “Halo,” Beyoncé (yeah, I said it)
DO NOT SING: “Crazy,” Gnarls Barkley

Scotty McCreery
DO SING: “Sideways,” Dierks Bentley (pick up the pace, Scotty!)
DO NOT SING: “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue,” Toby Keith

Haley Reinhart
DO SING: “Chasing Pavements,” Adele
DO NOT SING: “Beautiful,” Christina Aguilera

Those are our picks; what are yours?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 7,521 posts
Did anyone catch Jimmy Kimmel's monologue last nite.
The first 3 or 4 minutes were his thoughts on American Idol's
show last nite.

Here's the video.... it's right at the beginning.

http://abc.go.com/wa...kimmel-live-420

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
I had to laugh out loud, literally, when the group of booted off people did their performance and Steven said that America would be rethinking their choices (of voting them off) after that performance. Steven - not really. Only one I can say was maybe a mistake was Pia. But I think she brought that on herself to a degree with song choices and style. The rest of them - darn glad they are gone, every one of them.

FLYNWA

FLYNWA

• Pip
  • 725 posts
I agree the former contestants were horrible. Pia was the only loss. Paul seemed a bit lost and looked like he was mouting or rather trying to mouth the words and then when he did sing his rasp did not go with that song.

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
Theme for this week:

Then there were six. Can you believe we are down to just six American Idol 2011 Hopefuls left since the show started more than three months ago? There are just five weeks left in the season until one of the remaining singers is crowned the winner. Has your favorite made it this far?
This week on American Idol the Top 6 will be performing songs from Carole King‘s catalog and, as the discussions here on the site have shown, she’s got quite a lengthy set of songs to browse. It’ll still be a 90-minute performance show, so get ready for even more filler and fluff!
On Thursday night’s results show we’ll get the return of last season’s Crystal Bowersox and then Bruno Mars. I wonder if he’ll throw his hand on a blade for us? Maybe jump in front of a train for us? Well if nothing else, it’d be nice if he’d jump on a grenade for us! What? Am I the only one tired of hearing that everywhere? (I'd like him to do his new "The Lazy Song")

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
This week's theme: Now and Then. They each will sing two songs - one current song, and one from the 1960's.

Slimcruz

Slimcruz

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 8,110 posts
^^^^ I look forward to it. It's nice only having a few contestants and making them sing (a lot) for their supper. Wheat from chaff, as it were (hopefully). All in all, I kind of like(ed) this AI. I thought it had better talent than some series I've watched. Most of them can at least see proper pitch which hasn't always been the case, IMO. I like Haley, James and Scotty but I have to say that IMO, James Durbin is exceptional.

P.S. Every TV turn I take; I see Pia. Enough, already.

P.P.S. I think that the new sing show is going to give AI big trouble. I'm not one for audience participation so much, anymore.

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
WTF????? Theme for this week:

What I’d like to suggest the “American Idol” Top 4 do is NOT sing songs by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. But unfortunately that’s the entire theme. So they’ll be singing only songs from that song-writing duo of the “post World War II” era. Yeah, that’s how Wikipedia explains them. That’s kind of a long time ago. But hey, they wrote some good songs so there’s no point in dwelling on the fact that teenagers and 20-somethings are being forced to sing songs as old as their grandparents.

That being said, here’s what I think the Top 4 should sing from Leiber and Stoller’s song list.

*Haley Reinhart, “I’m a Woman” by various artists. Now this song seems almost too predictable for Haley. It’s bluesy, it’s soul-ful, it’s empowering. But I think it would be a good choice for her. Even if Melinda Doolittle did sing the song during her season. I know a lot of people don’t think songs should be repeated. But it doesn’t bother me as long as the song isn’t the way-overdone “Alone” by Heart or “Against All Odds” by Phil Collins.

*Lauren Alaina, “I (Who Have Nothing)” (Shirley Bassey’s version). Again, this song has been done on “Idol” (Jordin Sparks), but it’s a pretty good and powerful song. Lauren could have a moment, despite how old the song is. But that’s the case with all these songs. It’s actually kind of frustrating. Maybe Lauren could do “Stand By Me.” While it’s been done on the show also, I don’t really remember it being done by a girl.

*Scotty McCrerry, “There Goes My Baby” by The Drifters. I’m not sure this song will work with a twang, but it has a lot of potential for a modern twist. And there are some pretty low parts that Scotty could handle well. This is a tough theme for Scotty when you throw out the Elvis songs. I don’t think he should sing a third Elvis song this season. But if he did, he could handle “Love Me” maybe.

*James Durbin, “Kansas City” (The Beatles’ version). This has a pretty serious rock vibe for its time, so I think it could be right up James’ alley. Like Scotty, there aren’t a lot of songs that scream “James,” but he can easily make something his own.

I haven’t heard if the other part of the show will be more singles or duets and if the song selections change. Oh “Idol,” do you even know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users