Mel and Mike

s18_bio_mel_mike.jpg

Mel and Mike

Name (Age): Mel White (70)

Hometown: Lynchburg, Va.

Connection to your Teammate: Father

Current Occupation: Writer and activist

Previous Season/Result: Season 14/6th place

Biggest mistake you made in your previous season: Not insisting that we take the fast forward, use our remaining funds to support an orphanage in Thailand, and jump to the front of the line (instead of being eliminated).

Most memorable moment from your first Race: Soaring out over the Bavarian Alps.

Favorite place you visited on your first season: Siberia, I expected gulags and icebergs. Instead, I discovered great cities, friendly people and one of the most beautiful opera houses in the world, Novosibirsk.

Why do you want to run the Race again? To spend quality, even though stressful, time with my son and to enjoy the Race wholeheartedly.

How have you changed since the last time you competed? Now that I'm 70 years old I've joined a very elite number of OLD RACERS. Now, I feel like I am representing everyone that is older than 70, and I don't want to fail them.

What are you passionate about? Helping young gay men see why "it does get better." The recent increase in suicide among gay men breaks my heart.

People would be surprised to learn: My partner, Gary, and I were married in California on June 18, 2009 after spending almost 30 years together.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: Galapagos Islands or Bhutan, the "happiest" country in Asia.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: At 70, I will probably be the oldest person on the Race. My son, at age 40, will also be one of the older Racers. Together, we are 110 years old!

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): I want to stay in the Race at least as long as last time so that I won't disappoint my son.

Pet peeve about your teammate: He wants us to pack so lightly that we will probably freeze in cold weather and dehydrate when it's hot.

What would you do if you won the million dollars? I will use the money to help the 58 orphans at the Ne Future for Children home and school in Phnom Pen, Cambodia.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: Never stop racing; read the clues more carefully; quit worrying and enjoy THE AMAZING RACE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name (Age): Mike White (40)

Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif.

Connection to your Teammate: Son

Current Occupation: Writer

Previous Season/Result: Season 14/6th place

Most memorable moment from your first Race: Watching my dad paraglide over the Alps.

Favorite place you visited on your first season: India because it was so beautiful, colorful and strange.

Why do you want to run the Race again? Because I want to have the adventure and the experience with my father.

How have you changed since the last time you competed? I turned 40.

What are you passionate about? Animals.

People would be surprised to learn: I don't eat dairy or meat.

One location that you hope to go on this adventure: African safari because I've never been and I think it would be cool to see the exotic animals in their natural habitat.

Biggest challenge you and your teammate will face on the Race together: My dad is 70 and I think physical challenges will be tricky.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the Race again (other than winning one million dollars): Getting another chance to grow closer to my pops.

Pet peeve about your teammate: His frequent use of puns.

What would you do if you won the million dollars? I'd give my parents the retirement years they deserve.

Any strategic changes you will make heading into this Race: We need to leave less up to luck and stay with the pack.

CBS

Oh, he's 70 - that's gonna be tough on him if they have alot of physical stuff. I don't remember what the circumstances were that got them eliminated. I think I liked this team though. GAWD my memory is terrible, isn't it?

I didn't see their season but they are so cute - I love parent/child teams!

I'm worried about them based on next week's preview. :(

I hope they go farther. I know they won't win but what a nice father and son.

I don't think they match up to the competition, but on the plus side, their downfall will most likely NOT come from within (i.e. the team communication/relationship breaking down). I have to admire them both for doing this with one of the team members in his seventies.

(Go Ned Schneebly!!!)

I hope they are the next to go.. they are just a mess. his dad thinks he can do stuff that he cant, and the son wants to cry every 20 minutes..

they just dont match up to any of the other teams, the earlier they leave, the better.

I can't hate on the Mel just because he is old. He had a few glitches, but he powered thru them which I respect. I definitely don't want them to be the next to go - several others are in line ahead of them for that honor!

I honestly hate it everytime they come on the screen. they are just both really whinny. I understand your dad is "older", but he isnt complaing about it nearly as bad as you are.

I was actually most impressed with the way they finished this race. Father was giving it all he had for his son's sake, and son was willing to give it all up for his dad's sake.

Based on how strong the competition was, I don't think anyone ever really thought they had a chance, without some major bad luck for all the other teams. But they ran their own race, didn't give up until it was clear that they were going to finish last regardless, and somehow... they beat a few decent teams in the first leg.

All in all, not so bad at all, boys!

Thanks for the ride.