Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TV Fan Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Jeff Probst's Blog

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

pinkie

pinkie

• Pip
  • 4,046 posts
Survivor: Redemption Island Episode 8 4/6/11

by
jeff.probst on April 7, 2011

Once again I enjoyed our "interactive living room" on Twitter. We've been tweeting live each week at 8pm EST/PST. You can catch the tweets @JeffProbst.

THE DUEL

I am guessing that almost everybody, short of Sarita's family, was pulling for Matt to win the last duel before the merge. It has nothing to do with Sarita and everything to do with pulling for the underdog. Matt earned his shot back in the game.

I'm surprised that some of you are not enjoying Redemption Island. I certainly get a lot of comments from people who are enjoying it but I do get some from people who think it's a bore.

I'm shocked that anybody could be bored with the Matt/Redemption Island storyline. But hey, I get it, everybody has their likes/dislikes.

As I've said many times the duels are put on the grid and built long before we know who will be competing. So imagine Matt's surprise when the one challenge he didn't want – a challenge that involved using the side of his now injured food – was the exact duel that was on the grid. Crazy Survivor luck.

Had he lost, it would have sucked to lose due to an injury but it would have been completely fair.

Truth is, I thought he was in real danger of losing. These challenges so often favor women and with his cut foot I thought he might be in trouble.

THE MERGE

Ah there is so much fun about the merge.

From a show point of view it's a breath of fresh air as it almost always shakes things up. Solid alliances are now in danger. People on the bottom now have a new shot at moving up.

The Survivors get a merge feast, which always lifts their spirits and anytime you can lift their spirits it's a good thing. That might sound counter to what you would think we want to have happen, but the truth is there is so much drama on a day-to-day basis, that a bit of happiness is always good. Balances things out.

They get new buffs, which invigorates them and often seems to refuel them.

And if I don't have to be there, it's an afternoon off for me!

MURLONIO

Rob: (to tribe) Murlonio means from the sea, united.

Rob: (interview)"Murlonio doesn't mean anything. It's a joke between me and Amber."

I'm laughing because I'm imagining the reaction of the rest of the tribe when they heard this for the first time last night while watching the show. It's so 5th grade and it has absolutely no impact on the show, but it's still funny. I'm sure Rob and Amber were cracking up last night every time "Murlonio" popped up on the screen. I'll ask Rob to bring the stuffed animal to the live show.

THE BALANCING CHALLENGE

As simple as this challenge is to recreate it's still the same creative process as you have with an elaborate maze. You have an idea – let's do something where they balance a ball on a plate. Then you play around with the idea and decide it's too easy, we need to add a "wobble" element to it. But it's still not hard enough, so we add another ball, and then another. Now we're getting somewhere.

Most of our challenges first take shape months before we go to location. Our challenge team pitches us their slate of new challenges. In fact we're doing this in two weeks here in LA in preparation for next year. The pitch is nothing more than ideas and sketches. After the pitch, some are approved, some are modified and some are sent back for re-tooling.

Once they're approved they have to be built. This process can take between one to six weeks depending on the scope and size.

Once built they are then tested. During a test there are no cameras. Just our director, our dream team, our challenge producers and me.

Once we're satisfied with the test block we move to a rehearsal. This requires our entire camera/audio operators, our director, challenge producers, dream team and all the support people.

We rehearse the challenge and give our final notes. Then the challenge is ready for the Survivors.

We do this whether it is a three person final episode endurance challenge or a two-tribe, 20 person boat race. We always follow the same process.

THE BIGGEST BLINSIDE OF THE SEASON

The second blindside of Matt was a great move by Rob and not a surprising one. Rob blindsided Matt the first time around so Rob had to believe he was a target. I'm not sure Matt had any real shot at surviving but he sealed his fate when he told Rob the truth that he considered switching to the other side. He just gave up way too many details. It's like telling your girlfriend, "I was thinking about breaking up with you, but I decided not to." What? You don't tell them that. You either do it or you don't — but sharing e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is not always the right choice.

It makes sense that Matt was honest. It's in his nature. But like the tale of the frog and the scorpion, nature can work for you and against you. This time the "nature" of Rob worked against Matt.

Mike gave it a great shot. He said all the right things. Offering to sabotage his own alliance and join forces with Matt in order to further his own game. He made the only real move he had at that point and it's exactly what I would have done. It was a big move. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't a smart move.

The big question I have with Matt centers around how this impacts Matt's faith in people.

Blindsided two times by people you trust… I wonder if it has changed Matt's view of his fellow man or is Matt wise enough to realize that Survivor is just a game. It's an ugly game at times but it's just a game.

REDEMPTION ISLAND BEGINS AGAIN

Yes this was in the plan from the beginning. Redemption Island was going to resume immediately after the merge. In fact, when we pitched CBS one of the scenarios we gave them was the person on Redemption Island could earn their way back into the game and then be voted right out again. But nobody imagined that one guy would win six straight duels get back into the game at the merge and be the first person voted out again.

If there is a silver lining for Matt, it is the fact that if he can survive Redemption Island again and make it back to the final, his odds for winning are huge. At this point he is one of the biggest underdogs in Survivor history.

See ya next week!

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
MURLONIO

Rob: (interview)"Murlonio doesn't mean anything. It's a joke between me and Amber."

I'm laughing because I'm imagining the reaction of the rest of the tribe when they heard this for the first time last night while watching the show. It's so 5th grade and it has absolutely no impact on the show, but it's still funny. I'm sure Rob and Amber were cracking up last night every time "Murlonio" popped up on the screen. I'll ask Rob to bring the stuffed animal to the live show.

OMG I temporarily had forgotten that in all the Matt getting voted out again drama! I was laughing so hard when that happened. I can't wait to hear what the others have to say about it at the finale! I hope Ambuh is there too so we can see her cracking up when Jeff brings it up!!

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts

He just gave up way too many details. It's like telling your girlfriend, "I was thinking about breaking up with you, but I decided not to." What? You don't tell them that. You either do it or you don't — but sharing e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is not always the right choice.

Great way of explaining it, Jeff!
The other thing I would have mentioned is that with Philip, even though you can't really trust him, he has no real allies, so he is just one vote (for now).
With Matt, you not only have to worry about him flipping, but about him taking Andrea with him.
Better the single devil you know, then a possible double demon you don't.

MURLONIO

OMG I temporarily had forgotten that in all the Matt getting voted out again drama! I was laughing so hard when that happened. I can't wait to hear what the others have to say about it at the finale! I hope Ambuh is there too so we can see her cracking up when Jeff brings it up!!

I found it pretty funny myself.
But it made me think that this wasn't the first time it's been done.
I know it's been done before, I just can't remember who, or when.
I'm leaning toward it being Russell (self-proclaimed best to ever play the game of Survivor) in his first season.
(Does anyone know?)

kcatz

kcatz

• Pip
  • 54 posts
Ok I laughed out loud, the whole room turned and looked at me....

"everybody grab your balls and lets go"

Thanks Jeff!!

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts

Ok I laughed out loud, the whole room turned and looked at me....

"everybody grab your balls and lets go"

Thanks Jeff!!

HAHA yes, that was a good one too. I also had to chuckle when Jeff said that. I wanted to say - You first, Jeff!

laladoopiedu

laladoopiedu

Live Feed Updater

• 6,180 posts
This season must be a drag if I had to go find his blog on my own!

Jeff's Blog for 4/14/11

Thanks once again to everybody who joined us for the "interactive living room" twitter session last night! It was our biggest yet!

Okay, onto the blog!

Today's blog will be stream of consciousness, with no proof reading, so bear with me..

MATT

Was he a moron? What would you have done? I felt like he was in a really tough spot. Going against your old alliance and joining the other side is a risky move. Obviously, staying with someone as dangerous as Rob is also a major risk. I think the only mistake he made was sharing his inner monologue with Rob. That's the lesson I learned – when playing a game like Survivor, you don't have to be so honest, God will understand.

But I must say, his faith in his God is pretty impressive and inspiring. Love the absolute commitment.

JULIE

Julie complained about how unfair it was for Ometepe to vote out Matt again so soon after coming back into the game. I do not believe Julie would have taken mercy on Matt if she were in the same situation. Not one bit. She didn't hesitate to get rid of Russell. She would have done the same with Matt and it would have been okay, it's part of the game.

NATALIE

When Ralph was trying to forge his way in with Ashley and Natalie, he was trying so hard to get something going. The only thing Natalie could safely offer, without risking saying anything wrong, was:

Natalie: It's a hard game.

Damn! The insincerity of that lame ass line would have prompted a major response from me. There is no chance I could have contained myself at that point in the game.

"It's a hard game." Screw off.

ZAPATERA
They're doing everything they can to try and find a way into the tight Ometepe group. That's what you have to do in this spot. You have no other option. You have to stir things up, try to get someone riled, try to start an argument, anything at all.

Sitting back and saying, "I understand" is bullshit. It gets you nowhere.

The only problem facing Zapatera is Boston Rob. Without Rob, Ometepe would have no clue what to do. That's clear by the way Rob is able to keep them in line.

BOSTON ROB

For all the concern we had that both Rob and Russell would be voted out early – Rob has done an amazing job of not only staying in the game but staying in control. There are a few key factors to his success:

a. He has an incredible knowledge of the game and the key elements required to control your fate.

b. He's a naturally gifted strategist. His "us" vs "them" while keeping himself clean is so brilliantly executed.

c. The luck of drawing the Ometepe buff. Rob would not have been as successful on Zapatera. He is relying on the naïve nature of his tribe. Everybody on Ometepe will take offense with me saying this, but without Natalie and Phillip, Rob is dead because Ralph, Julie, David and Steve would not have responded the same way.

NATALIE GETS MADE

The scene between Rob and Natalie where she reports on the actions of Ashley was straight out of the Godfather. Natalie just became "made." That is what they call it when you earn your mafia stripes, right? Natalie just made a HUGE move. She locked in her alliance with Rob when she could have made a move and gotten him out of the game. From this point forward Natalie's fate is linked to Rob.

THE CHALLENGE

Phillips story about his meditation with his great, great, great, great, Grandfather was 100% legit. Even the 99th mispronunciation of his own tripe, "Ometepe" was legit. There is nothing about Phillip that is a put on, at least as far as I can tell.

As for whether or not he was actually a former federal agent, I will get to the bottom of that during the live reunion show Sunday, May 15th. Mark it down.

I loved this challenge. I love individual challenges later in the game because there are always people fighting to stay in the game. I also love it when people let go of their humility and get in the mud.

Day to day motivation is a big factor in this game:

Grant & Rob wanted it from the word go but for different reasons:

Rob wanted to protect himself and remain in control because he understands you are NEVER safe unless you have immunity. Even with a hidden idol, if you don't play it you can get blindsided.

Grant wanted it for his tribe because he is playing the "team game."

The three Zapatera all wanted it because they needed it.

Ashley, Andrea, Natalie & Phillip – they didn't fight because they aren't worried and for now they don't have to be.

TRIBAL #1

When the low man on the other tribes totem pole tells you that he enjoys being the low man, you know you are in trouble.

Phillip embodies the loyal soldier. At this point I truly believe Phillip would fall on a sword for his tribe because in his mind he is part of an important group. What he doesn't understand is he is being played by one of the best and the only way this ends well is if Rob gets blindsided and Phillip ends up in a final with himself.

MIKE AT REDEMPTION ISLAND

Mike will be tough. Mike could be on Redemption for a while. He is an amazing competitor and from what I can tell an audience favorite.

CHALLENGE #2

I love these challenges as well! Love when we give them the chance to sit out and eat rather than compete for immunity.

I'm always amazed at who chooses to eat and why. You are so close to $1million dollar pirze. I would never give up a shot at immunity for a burger. But I think it makes perfect sense that Steve and Phillip did.

Steve knew he wouldn't win and Phillip believes he doesn't have to win. Turns out both are right.

TRIBAL #2

Stealth-R-Us.

Phillip is pure gold. Straight out of the river bed.

If there has ever been a more fascinating Survivor contestant, please share.

David brought up a great notion – that at this point, the best move for a Zapatera may be Redemption Island where you can control your fate.

I don't think we've even touched what RI will bring to this game. For those of you on the fence, give it a chance. Let's see where it goes.

Next week.. one of the most "water cooler" worthy tribal councils in quite some time.

From CBS : Some of you — okay, all of you — have said that you think Phillip is nuts, but he's self-aware enough to realize that. He explains his strategy in this un-aired extended scene: http://www.cbs.com/p...HE6X_Vs8VslOFtk

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts

This season must be a drag if I had to go find his blog on my own!

LOL!
I was too busy to watch this episode until Saturday afternoon!
So I didn't want to read the blog until after I'd had a chance to see the show.

For the previous episode, I was so impatient that I went to read it at the source before Pinkie posted it.
(But I would have posted it myself if I hadn't seen it here by 5pm.)
I guess Pinkie had the day off this time!

That wasn't the best episode, but it did have some interesting moments, some of which Jeff didn't even mention in his blog.
For example, the digging under the Murlonio banner.
(I still literally laugh out loud every time I see the name on the screen, thinking it's the name of a stuffed animal back at Rob's house!)
Another thing I thought he might tell us is why there was no Redemption Island challenge after Mike got there. Now that Dave is there too, will challenges always be between three players, with only one of them going home? Maybe with even two of them re-entering the game around final 5 time?
Or will the last to arrive just hang around to watch the other two go at it before taking on the winner next time?
C'mon Jeff, what's up with that?

pinkie

pinkie

• Pip
  • 4,046 posts
Sorry guys I didn't have computer access last week :(

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts
Don't sweat it, Pinkie!
We appreciate it every time you post Jeff's blog, and nobody blames you if you have to miss it every once in a while.

Here, forget about it by staring at Jeff for a minute.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

TiaDonut

TiaDonut

• Pip
  • 154 posts
Is his site down for everyone or just my quirky computer?

I figure if anyone knows, it will be someone here at Morty's :-)

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts
Yeah, his site went down due to too much traffic (too many visitors).
So, he has posted a video version of his blog on YouTube.

From Jeff's Twitter updates:

hey guys, website just crashed! Too many visitors? beats me but we're on it! Sorry for the hassle. Get back to you asap!

Check out my latest Survivor blog. It's on video this time! EP 10. "Rice Wars" http://bit.ly/gEPNFe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfIbafDO-xo&feature=player_embedded

TiaDonut

TiaDonut

• Pip
  • 154 posts
Thank you, Jedi!!

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts
Although Jeff did not post a written blog for this last episode, he did post some Questions & Answers.
There are a few that sound like teasers. (I highlighted them.)

Source: http://www.jeffprobs...uestions-42211/

Jeff Answers Your Questions 4/22/11

Alex & Christine
Hi Jeff! My boyfriend and i are huge survivor fans! and this is more of a suggestion than a question. We think the show should give America one vote in the final tribal council.

Here’s the problem with that very fun idea! Since we “edit” the show, it has a certain bias. No matter how hard we try to fairly portray everybody, we do leave out certain storylines because they don’t play into the overall episode. The minute you leave something out, you are editorializing and that means you are not seeing everything. With a million dollars on the line, a contestant could argue they were not treated the same as someone else and that it impacted how America voted.

B Lindey
In regards to ideas for the idol, could you maybe make a two part idol so that two players would have to work together or could only use the idol once they put the parts together.

Another very fun idea, the problem is one person could hold onto their half and decide to never play it, which means there is no idol in play. We want the idols to play. We like the element it adds to the game.

This reasoning goes for similar ideas like hiding the idol in “multiple pieces.” Please keep sending ideas!

Linda B
My husband loves your shirts…his birthday is March 21st..where or how can I purchase one?

Ah I wish I had a clothing line… maybe it’s something I should look into? A few years ago I started making my shirts. It’s not as expensive as you might think. Finding the fabric is tough. I have them cut to fit my body and then we dye them in several variations of blue ! Sorry I can’t help you!

If you buy one from an adventure store, the key is to go to your local dry cleaner and have the seamstress fit the shirt to him. That is really what makes the difference – how it fits.

Russell Cone
Not going to respond to your idea because there is something there we might use. Thank you!

Emily M
I’m curious as to which, if any, aspects of survivor are planned. For instance, you seem to be able to catch every private moment, inane conversation on camera? How do you do it?

Nothing is planned. Not one thing. The reason we catch everything is because we have the worlds greatest adventure crew. No BS. The men and women that live on those beaches are the best. They keep coming back because they love what they do. We endeavor to give them as much autonomy as we can. The shooters and the audio teams are in and of themselves uncredited producers on our show. Our team is unreal. I’ve never seen anything like it on any other show.

Derek B
Something I’d consider changing is allowing a person to use the immunity idol AFTER the votes have been read. Too often people are playing it proactively just to avoid some imaginary threat, and this would change it so that people would only play the idol when it counted.

It gives too much power to the holder of the idol. The history is first we made them play it before the vote, but realized it didn’t give them quite enough power. Then we let them play it after the vote (as you suggest) but that gave them too much power. It’s a total “get out of jail free” card. So we settled in the middle and that’s where it feels best to us.

Not going to share the rest of your idea because there is something very interesting about it that we may use!
Thank you!

Gary J
You never see any bathroom stuff (except the outdoor shower several seasons ago.) Can you tell us how bathroom stuff is handled when on a tribe?

They handled it however they see fit! There is no toilet or toilet paper. Hmmm.. use your imagination! The ocean is a decent idea. Dry leaves can work too! Sound fun? If so, send in your audtion tape to CBS.com!

Ron H
Ron, great idea. Not going to share it, cause we may use it! You guys are awesome with all the ideas!

Tom V
I’m sure you are asked this all the time, but what’s it take to get chosen to be on SURVIVOR? Is there anything a person can do to make them stand out?

Unfortunately, there isn’t any advice I can give you other than “be yourself.” Survivor is a show that mixes people from all walks of life, so there is no “right or wrong” answer or approach on your tape. Just tell us your story. Imagine how you’d be portrayed on the show and show us that part of your life. I hope you keep applying, we’ve had people apply 15 times before getting on!

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts
Video blog again this time for episode 11.
(He explains at the beginning of the video that it's less time-consuming for him.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q2LebmO308

Note: there were only 300 views at the time I posted this.

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts
Video blog for episode 12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCePXErDix0

Note: there were only 312 views at the time I posted this.

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts
SWEET! We're back to a written blog this time!

Survivor: Redemption Island Episode 13 5/11/11
by jeff.probst on May 12, 2011

I’m traveling to NY tonight for the live finale which airs this Sunday night on CBS, so this blog will be short and.. it will be a blog, not a vlog.

GRANT’S GOODBYE
“See ya soon.”

It wasn’t his words, it was the subtext behind them. Grant is a scorned lover. He trusted Rob. I believe he trusted him 100%… and he got burned. It’s another great example of why this game is so difficult to play: Outwit, Outlast, Outplay. Everybody knows it’s a game, but where the game begins and ends is a personal decision and often where the game is won or lost.

Did Rob make a mistake in voting out Grant? We’ll find out at the live finale this Sunday, May 15th in New York… because if Grant survives Redemption Island and gets back in the game, Rob is in trouble.

THE JURY
Once again, three people will make it to the final tribal council. After 39 days of incredible effort, their actions will be judged by a jury, which is comprised of people they have voted out of the game.

Will the jury be a bunch of bitter bitches intent on punishing the most deserving and rewarding the least offensive? It certainly wouldn’t be the first time. Jury management- it’s the most critical element to this game. Not only do you have to get to the end, which almost always requires betraying someone (before they betray you) but then you have to convince those same people you betrayed to vote for you for the million dollars.

It hurts my head.

I hope the jury rewards the best player, we’re due for a decent winner. Here’s my take on deserving/undeserving.

Boston Rob – Hands down the most deserving player… if he can make it to the end. Big IF.

Matt – If Matt gets off Redemption Island and makes it to the end I think he has a good shot of winning simply based on the “underdog” vote. However, if I was in the final against Matt, I’d make a strong case that while he may be the best “dueler” he is clearly the worst player and therefore not deserving of the money.

Mike – If Mike makes it to the end, he wins. Period. Doesn’t matter who he is up against, the Zapatera jury will find their inner bitch and reward it to their former tribemate. Rob’s worst nightmare is Mike gets back in the game.

Grant – If Grant makes it, he could make a case for the money. If he’s up against Natalie and Phillip he wins. Ashley or Rob will give him a run for his money and make for a very interesting final tribal council.

Ashley – If Ashley continues to win her way to the end, she will have a very strong case. I would definitely consider voting for her for the money, unless she was up against Rob.

Natalie – Can’t win. If Natalie wins, then the jury should be taken to a small stream and dunked repeatedly until their bellies fill with guppies. I think Natalie did a good job and probably learned a lot about strategy from her mentor. But it’s not nearly enough.

Andrea – The dark horse. Although she didn’t play the best game, she played a pretty decent game and I think she got better with each passing day. If Andrea can get to the end against Ashley and Natalie or Phillip she wins.

Phillip – If Phillip wins, it means that we will have witnessed one of the most amazing final episodes in the history of our show. The only way he wins is if he reveals that his “former federal agent” and everything that came with it was all a big con.

Okay I’m gonna get some sleep – talk to you Sunday from the live finale. It starts at 8pm and lasts 3 hours. Don’t’ be a fool and DVR it, watch it live.

I’ll be tweeting during the finale and I promise to do my very best to not post any spoilers so you can watch along without having it ruined. But hear me.. no promises. So if you’re at all concerned, then don’t follow me Sunday night!

Souce: http://www.jeffprobs...isode-13-51111/

SugarB

SugarB

• Pip
  • 9,493 posts
I'm excited for the finale, because I have loved this season and can't wait to see how it all ends, BUT I am sad at the prospect of not seeing the always hot, especially when wet, :wub: Jeff on my TV screen for months.....

6Borders

6Borders

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 4,443 posts
Sugar, maybe Mike will invite you over for dinner...lol!!!!

I'm kinda glad it's almost over...time for breather before Big Brother starts. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out for sure. Probst is going to have to do some fancy talking at finale to get Rob those votes I think and convince the jury they should vote for Rob.

King123

King123

Live Feed Updater

• LFU
  • 11,026 posts
Of course rob should win.
however if Andrea, or Ashley make the final, i would vote for them if rob wasnt there..

no way would i vote for matt.

JEDI

JEDI

Forum Moderator

• 12,811 posts
No Jeff Probst blog about the finale yet.
(I was hoping to hear why he forgot to touch on the subject of the "Murlonio" name.)

Posted Image
(Rob and Matt signing the Murlonio flag before the finale)

But here are his latest Twitter updates:

PHOTO OF THE DAY: Boston Rob depositing $1.1 million in NYC bank in between stops at The Early Show & Regis & Kelly. http://ow.ly/i/bECj

Posted Image

Bid on props from Survivor: Redemption Island!! Proceeds support Operation Smile and The Alliance For Children's Rights. http://ow.ly/4VMyq

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users